Leveling Bypass

TorduVide

2 hours ago, Wavicle said:

I mean, you literally just described the test server. So I guess we already have it. Problem solved. Well done.

But Test is ephemeral. A release-level shard would be a different thing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

A release-level shard with even faster leveling and whatever else would just open the door to "Okay, but now make a pre-<this issue> shard!"

No thanks. It's not good design.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

2 hours ago, Krimson said:

I think P2W should sell a level 50 token for 50-100 million INF. Let's say 100 mil. It takes me about two hours to farm a toon from zero to 50. In that time, my farmer has probably made close to 60 million INF, and the farmee nada because double XP. Now if I dual box with another 50, we'll make pretty close to 120 million (not including drops, fresh 50s seem to be better purple magnets). So one way, I can make a 50 and have 60 million. Another way, I can buy a token for 100 million, and still have 20 million. Or... I can play all my other non farming toons and just make INF that way, buy a token, and then make another 50 at my leisure. Why not? I bought leveling tokens in Old Republic, and it didn't stop me from making level 1s whenever new content came out. 

I am all for "Hey, I can make this right now.", with the added benefit of having a new Influence sink. If an altoholic wants to drop a billion and make 10 new toons one day, why not? How many times do I have to run the same story arc before it's okay to skip it? Or maybe I'm in an RP group on Everlasting, and want to whip up an alternate version of their RP character, then it would be nice not to have to wait weeks to join in with it.  

100 million inf is absolutely nothing in terms of cost. You can make that easily in a day of converters and simply selling what you craft on the AH. 

If we are going to do this (which I think we should NOT) I'd put the price close to 500-800 mil per purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 hours ago, Luminara said:

You spoke of the importance of leveling to 50, at least one time to learn the game, through regular play.  If it doesn't matter, why say

If it's important, then you need to implement a method of ensuring that the auto-50 token is only granted when it's earned the way you outlined, through the normal leveling process.

That doesn't resolve the question of meeting the demand when supply is reduced by your insta-50 proposal.  There are recipes which are capped at levels 20, 30 and 40.  SOs aren't attuned and can frequently be purchased on the market for less than vendor price.  If there's a decrease in supply of these items due to more players going straight to maximum level, how do you propose to deal with that?

I'm not kicking you in the balls for making the suggestion.  I'm pointing out that there are issues which would need to be addressed.  Failure to address those issues would lead to game-wide problems.

Your quote even says that it "can" be.  I didn't include that for no reason, I meant what I said, that it CAN be important, not that it was.  I state that it can be many things, actually, yet the only thing I state with certainty is that it is a good learning tool, yet that doesn't mean it's important to everyone or that it's important enough to not be door sat through.  So, no, I don't need to figure out a way to prevent that, as far as I'm concerned as long as people know what they're getting into then that's all I, if I were implementing it, would need to do.  Whether it is important or not depends on the player, just like whether this is something someone would use depends on the player.  It all depends on the player and what they want and think is important.

Also I'd say it resolves the issue well enough, people can worry about getting themselves "geared" up when they get there, either through grinding or buying or whatever works for them, that's a problem for the player, not a problem that needs consideration as long as people know what they're getting into as, if they're informed, then I'd say it's perfectly fine and fair for them to have to do some grinding, farming, or just whatever to get themselves to where they want to be.  After all, it's going to cost someone time to get everything needed to offer the recipes or make the enhancements, it doesn't really matter if that someone is the player with the fresh 50 or if that someone is a farmer.  Sure, in the initial surge, assuming there is one, prices might fluctuate some due to lack of supply yet I don't expect that to be a long term problem, with any big change to players or the economy there's always some settling that needs to be done before things get back to a normal.

After all, in the end the idea isn't to have a fully decked out fully leveled character, it's just to unlock the choice for any who might want it to skip the monotony of 1-50 levelling.  Nothing more, you start with no inf, no enhancements, nothing and get to either get an alt to buy stuff or work your way through things to buy or make stuff.  At least you'll be getting 50 inf rates and you'll know you won't have to worry about going through a bunch of enhancements while you progress.

• Thumbs Down 1

I propose a skill check.

Start a level 1 character, no insps no temps(that includes beast run/athletic run/jetpack and such) no stealth. Run from atlas to hollows, go through hollows through the gulch and make it all the way up the mountains then back down to the skyway entrance, without dying. That's part 1. This will test your understanding of aggro radius.

Part 2 - blaster wtih basic SO slotting, level 15. Clear 3 groups of pumicites +0/8 in a trap room with mobs around both corners and a third one directly in front. Insps/temps allowed, no deaths. This will test your awareness, insp prioritization, kiting, and pulling.

Part 3 - repeat that exercise with a mastermind to see if you actually understand how to control your pets.

If you fail, you need to work harder.

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Just now, Wavicle said:

How so? Don’t get me wrong, I disagree with the OP’s suggestion, but I don’t get this comment…

Fair question. It is the ramifications that would entail for the suggestion of changing how players get to 50.

"Allow people that have made a character and leveled it all the way to 50 to skip levelling further characters by letting them make new characters at 50 if they so choose or letting them purchase an instant-50 from P2W or have Null give it to them."

This would certainly provide the instant gratification for some, such as the OP, and perhaps others, but disregard the rest of the player base that relies on the interactions with other players during each characters 1-50 journey. And yes, players can exemplar down to do content - but they would need a supportive game economy to supply them with the level requisite enhancements to do so. That is why it is an entirely game-changing suggestion. While it sounds easy to implement (just make the bird do it!), its ramifications would undoubtedly alter the rest of the experience for everyone else. Enjoy a well supplied market? That would change if this were to be implemented - supply would decrease, but demand would stay the same, if not increase as others have alluded to. 

That being said, I will echo my original comment again that the Beta shard exists, and players who want to be level 50 in 2 seconds instead of 2 hours can go there to enjoy the game if they desire.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Alright, so without pulling the lovely "No" and leaving it at that - here's why this is a suggestion that will not get put forward onto HC.

Firstly, it takes barely a day to get to 50 if you can play for 2+ hours and can get on a farm. This makes the ease of access to 50 already covered. Otherwise, as mentioned, you have the Beta / Test shards or you have the Cake server. These aren't going anywhere any time soon, and if not having people to interact with is a problem then that's a sacrifice one can take for this instant gratification.

Secondly, it would do more harm than good especially with the upcoming Page 3 Advanced Difficulty Options. There is nothing about 50 that is special right now, but allowing people to just fling themselves (even more so) to 50 would not end well. Yes, we have easier access to builds and such now but that doesn't mean a Insta-50 option should be done live. It's a bad design in an already easy game.

Thirdly, you are skipping past tons of content. Yes, you have exemplar'ing but there's a big difference in taking a character to 50 versus skipping to 50. Level Boosts, like this desires, are antithesis to gameplay and content both. Tons and tons of story arcs, and some strike forces/task forces feel way different at-level.

Fourthly, HC isn't looking to do it. Otherwise, it would have been done by now. It's not particularly difficult to implement I imagine, but why implement it? It has no benefits. If the suggestion went in with the no inf, no anything etc - the character you just level boosted is going to SUCK. It's going to be able to do nothing. That's not what the game was made for, and given insta-level capped toons only became a thing more recently? It doesn't fit the game design of CoH. (Yes, yes - farming, but that's a different beast)

There are other games, servers, and the Beta/Test shards if you want instant gratification & build testing.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

We shouldn't forget that the market is entirely artificial and entirely within the Devs' power to change how it works.  Any argument for or against changes to other parts of the game that use the "but the market!" excuse don't really hold water.  The market doesn't need to be the way it is right now, and can be modified with the likes of seeding, which the Homecoming Team already did.

One could say that it's unlikely that the Devs -want to- . . . sure.  It's easy to say that it would require extra time and effort on the parts of the Devs to adjust the market further, absolutely.  But the market is not sacrosanct and beyond change.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

We shouldn't forget that the market is entirely artificial and entirely within the Devs' power to change how it works.  Any argument for or against changes to other parts of the game that use the "but the market!" excuse don't really hold water.  The market doesn't need to be the way it is right now, and can be modified with the likes of seeding, which the Homecoming Team already did.

One could say that it's unlikely that the Devs -want to- . . . sure.  It's easy to say that it would require extra time and effort on the parts of the Devs to adjust the market further, absolutely.  But the market is not sacrosanct and beyond change.

Except these arguments do not hold water on the live shards because the devs haven't done this outside of salvage seeding. It is entirely speculative on yours and anyone else's part to say otherwise. Bad faith argument right here.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2XP buff from P2W.  Shocking isn't, Dev gave a stepping stone to level fast.  They are not going to hold your hand.  Takes a total of 3.5 hours to get to 50, make an alt account with a fire brute and go to town. 

Suggestion is to start rolling out characters before Dec 31,  new years they give that 5x log of exp buff.  Really helps the last 5 levels.  Get them to 20 or 30 to finishnext year, make half a dozen at least.

Edited by Outrider_01
  • Thumbs Down 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

14 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

The market is a mini game. One that players like. Asking for radical changes to it will get radical responses for that reason alone.

Also the market as is is 1000 times better than the absolute dreck we had on live.

I would be VERY careful of them making changes to the market . . . especially since they've got it working well.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:19 PM, Krimson said:

I think P2W should sell a level 50 token for 50-100 million INF. Let's say 100 mil. It takes me about two hours to farm a toon from zero to 50. In that time, my farmer has probably made close to 60 million INF, and the farmee nada because double XP. Now if I dual box with another 50, we'll make pretty close to 120 million (not including drops, fresh 50s seem to be better purple magnets). So one way, I can make a 50 and have 60 million. Another way, I can buy a token for 100 million, and still have 20 million. Or... I can play all my other non farming toons and just make INF that way, buy a token, and then make another 50 at my leisure. Why not? I bought leveling tokens in Old Republic, and it didn't stop me from making level 1s whenever new content came out. 

I am all for "Hey, I can make this right now.", with the added benefit of having a new Influence sink. If an altoholic wants to drop a billion and make 10 new toons one day, why not? How many times do I have to run the same story arc before it's okay to skip it? Or maybe I'm in an RP group on Everlasting, and want to whip up an alternate version of their RP character, then it would be nice not to have to wait weeks to join in with it.  

How about merits? I mean, sure, you can convert inf. But then for non farmers this is more encouragement to do merit content. 

Instant level 50 however you have a timed, randomised quiz of 20 questions when you claim it.

Example:

"Which contact offers the mission that rewards the Spelunker badge?"

"Uh, I don't know?"

"FAKE GAMER DETECTED. Your character has been deleted."

This will surely filter the noobs from the true, elite, hardcore Gamers, like me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Down 1

Oh? You like City of Heroes?

Name every player character.

I'll be waiting in my PMs.

22 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Thirdly, you are skipping past tons of content. Yes, you have exemplar'ing but there's a big difference in taking a character to 50 versus skipping to 50. Level Boosts, like this desires, are antithesis to gameplay and content both. Tons and tons of story arcs, and some strike forces/task forces feel way different at-level.

This gets used a lot and it doesn't really fly for vets.  Those of us who were playing since the game launched and now again have already done the content tons of times.  Not saying I think we need an insta 50 token because we don't, but this excuse here doesn't work for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

This gets used a lot and it doesn't really fly for vets.  Those of us who were playing since the game launched and now again have already done the content tons of times.  Not saying I think we need an insta 50 token because we don't, but this excuse here doesn't work for everyone.

The problem is that any solution would be one size fits all… veterans and newbies alike.  I know that many people try to bury their heads in the sand and claim that everything is fine, but there is a serious issue with newbies being introduced to the game via AE farming and PI Council radio farms.  They get to level 50… and don’t have the faintest clue of how to actually play the game.  It’s one of the main reasons why I left the Excelsior shard.  Just way too many AE/PI Council radio babies on that shard.  I mean, I have literally encountered level 30+ PCs who had no idea how to get from Atlas Park to Talos Island.  I wish I was joking.  Others think that TFs are just more colorful, varied radio missions and leave halfway through without saying a word.  It’s just bad.

Something like the OP’s suggestion would just exasperate the issue.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Not saying I think we need an insta 50 token because we don't, but this excuse here doesn't work for everyone.

You are correct, it doesn't work for everyone, but everyone would have access to it.

99% of the content in this game is below level 50. If someone doesn't like playing below level 50 then they don't actually like most of this game.

Here's a suggestion that I could support: Make the insta-level-50 token sold by a special vendor who's only in Paragon Dance Party. And it costs Inf100 million.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

The problem is that any solution would be one size fits all… veterans and newbies alike.  I know that many people try to bury their heads in the sand and claim that everything is fine, but there is a serious issue with newbies being introduced to the game via AE farming and PI Council radio farms.  They get to level 50… and don’t have the faintest clue of how to actually play the game.  It’s one of the main reasons why I left the Excelsior shard.  Just way too many AE/PI Council radio babies on that shard.  I mean, I have literally encountered level 30+ PCs who had no idea how to get from Atlas Park to Talos Island.  I wish I was joking.  Others think that TFs are just more colorful, varied radio missions and leave halfway through without saying a word.  It’s just bad.

Something like the OP’s suggestion would just exasperate the issue.

1 hour ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

You are correct, it doesn't work for everyone, but everyone would have access to it.

99% of the content in this game is below level 50. If someone doesn't like playing below level 50 then they don't actually like most of this game.

Here's a suggestion that I could support: Make the insta-level-50 token sold by a special vendor who's only in Paragon Dance Party. And it costs Inf100 million.

Again not saying this is a good idea or that we need insta 50 tokens, but why would you assume they'd be open to everyone?  Also, I play on Excel a lot and I've yet to see any PI council farming going on.  People are running teams for all sorts of stuff.  I think people are really overexaggerating.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

Again not saying this is a good idea or that we need insta 50 tokens, but why would you assume they'd be open to everyone?

Well, unless the devs are going to "gate keep" these tokens so that only certain people are allowed to get them then it will be open to everyone.

That's why I suggested the Inf100 million cost. If you've played long enough to get Inf100 million then you probably should be able to insta 50 a character.

Also, it functions as a money sink. Which, as we know, this game does not have enough of.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Yeah! Just like the Banished Pantheon band that plays in the Tiki Lounge of Pocket D (see my signature for a tour!). Maybe add on that the vendor only shows up on a Tuesday between the hours of... 😁

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Pocket D Zone Tour