Leveling Bypass

TorduVide

Even 100 mil can be farmed in the AE without really playing the rest of the game but I get what you're saying.  Were I to guess at what ever could be requirements to unlock the token would be stuff like completing certain story arcs, TF commander and stuff like to unlock some badges and such.  At least then you'd know they played the character a little and would unlock an insta 50 token on the account for that specific AT.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Apparition said:

I mean, I have literally encountered level 30+ PCs who had no idea how to get from Atlas Park to Talos Island.  I wish I was joking.

I had someone in a BAF the other day asking how to tell what team they are on.

I'm not sure I would be opposed to a "basic skills test" required to go from 49 to 50. Some kind of mission that requires you to pass a team or league star, give an item to someone else, use the map and navigation window, etc.

But to the larger point of insta-50s, I'm against it. Get back with me if we start talking about 1 Transcendent per level or somewhere in that neighborhood.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Hard pass in instant 50, no matter what the cost. Go do something else. If you don't wanna play the game, don't play the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

On 11/7/2021 at 4:35 AM, Greycat said:

Why have the rest of the game if you're not going to play it?

Because some people do.

As for the I Win button to 50, I can PL an alt to 50 in two hours if I really crank it up. I wouldn't mind getting to skip that two hours of farming. It's not that fun but some alts are so damn weak before their final builds, there's no way in hell I'm going to waste my time leveling them normally.

Says the guy soloing to 50 using nothing but swipe.

We play the game we want to play. Don't want to insta-lvl to 50? Don't.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Because some people do.

As for the I Win button to 50, I can PL an alt to 50 in two hours if I really crank it up. I wouldn't mind getting to skip that two hours of farming. It's not that fun but some alts are so damn weak before their final builds, there's no way in hell I'm going to waste my time leveling them normally.

Says the guy soloing to 50 using nothing but swipe.

We play the game we want to play. Don't want to insta-lvl to 50? Don't.

I'd be fine with it, if it provided some sort of inf sink. Say 500 to 800 mil.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 11/7/2021 at 2:10 AM, TorduVide said:

Hi there!  I don't know about you, yet for me leveling the standard levels from 1 to 50 has always been the single worst part of this game,

You mean that to you the actual game is the the worst part of this game?!

Level 1-50 is the game. The rest is tacked onto the end of the game - hence "end-game" content.

Most of the content is level 1-50.

Go sit in an AE farm and get power-leveled if you want to avoid actually playing the game.

You should feel good about the way you want to play "this game", but, honestly, players like you are one of the factors that drove me to cancel my subscription before the Sunset.

This is City of Heroes, CoH, CoX, or THE CITY; it is not "this game".

If you need to call it "this game", then you really aren't playing it.

But you have made that obvious by stating that you don't like playing the game and only want to "end game".

Now I fully understand that there's many that disagree and say they enjoy the experience, whether it's a new character with powersets they've done before or doing whole new powersets to them, they'll enjoy it.

Yes.

Personally, I hate the end-game.

I only play the game part of City of Heroes if I can help it.

Yet, I've no doubt, there are quite a few that feel the same way I do.

Yes.

We called them AE babies.

I still call them AE babies.

They are born in the AE and stay in it like a womb until they are level 50.

Suggestion and Alt Suggestion:

I'm not even going to bother reading.

Sorry. This has been all hashed out before.

People can get power-leveled in the AE to level 50. They do. Everyday. All the time. and multiple times on the weekends.

There is no challenge, nor is there anything special about getting to level 50 in City of Heroes because of the AE.

It isn't some badge of being special to have a level 50 any more.

It is a feeling of accomplishment to actually play the game and get to level 50.
However, you have noted that people like you don't want to have that feeling of accomplishment. 

My guess is that you just want to have all the powers and that makes you feel good. Good for you. You should enjoy the game the way that it is enjoyable for you.

That being said. If you want to bypass leveling - go door sit in the AE.

That is the method to bypass leveling. It is already part of the game due to players like you.

Enjoy it.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/7/2021 at 12:04 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Now everyone can be happy!

No. Let me be grumpy. I'm still waking up and could have used some more sleep.

• Thumbs Down 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

17 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

It is a feeling of accomplishment to actually play the game and get to level 50.

There's lots of ways to get that feeling in this game. I got it when I soloed a Werner rules ITF with a character I PLed to 50 and loaded up with trascendents just so I could T4 her out as quickly as possible specifically FOR that ITF. I'll get it when my swipe/inv scrapper hits 50 and I can respec her into a real build. I get it when another PLed controller handles a max diff spawn solo. You may only get that feeling from hard sloggin to 50. Good for you. Means precisely nothing to those that got bored with it.

Edit: Side note regarding that shield/nrg tank.... she's well over 100 vet lvls and has contributed vast amounts to the market. So it's not like she hasn't been played.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ok, my SG talked me out of this one with this point: If it only takes two hours to PL to 50, why should the devs waste their time on coding something like this just to make other issues with being able to PL to 50 even worse?

I accept that logic and will now add my /jranger.

*Crying tears of joy and pride*

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

I think that's my take on things.   Would it be a big deal if players could just go to 50? Not really.   Is it worth development/balancing time?  Not really.

The amount of time it takes to PL if you're not dual boxing, is a good time to read up on how to slot your new beast.   And the drops during PL will go to outfitting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, lemming said:

I think that's my take on things.   Would it be a big deal if players could just go to 50? Not really.   Is it worth development/balancing time?  Not really.

The amount of time it takes to PL if you're not dual boxing, is a good time to read up on how to slot your new beast.   And the drops during PL will go to outfitting.

Good point here: whether I’m sitting in someone else’s farm or powerleveling myself, I’m typically using leveling time tabbed out working on my new toon’s build 🙂

5 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Bill Zee Bubba knocks it out of the park.

Hey now, we provided the logic. 

• Haha 1

• 10 months later
On 11/10/2021 at 12:46 PM, lemming said:

True, except they have just given this option for PVP. I was with the line of argument against it till that happened. Now I have to ask what the difference is?

One could make the same argument there yet PVPers got instant LVL 50 pvp toons. You could do the same for PVE and grant no IOS or inf to new level 50 PVE toon.

13 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

True, except they have just given this option for PVP. I was with the line of argument against it till that happened. Now I have to ask what the difference is?

One could make the same argument there yet PVPers got instant LVL 50 pvp toons. You could do the same for PVE and grant no IOS or inf to new level 50 PVE toon.

That's a tough comparison to try to make - for example, PvErs don't have to PvP in order to play the game (outside of the few instances of voluntary badge earning I would concede). PvPers have had to PvE forever - even though they're only interested in PvPing. When the devs implemented Temporal Warriors, it was a solid QoL improvement for that community - and it came with caveats, including not being able to travel to any non-PvP zone, enter any missions, or have access to any PvE content. This was a middle ground, based on testing and feedback mind you. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

9 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

That's a tough comparison to try to make - for example, PvErs don't have to PvP in order to play the game (outside of the few instances of voluntary badge earning I would concede). PvPers have had to PvE forever - even though they're only interested in PvPing. When the devs implemented Temporal Warriors, it was a solid QoL improvement for that community - and it came with caveats, including not being able to travel to any non-PvP zone, enter any missions, or have access to any PvE content. This was a middle ground, based on testing and feedback mind you. 

Good point. However to me that’s a problematic argument for why that option now exists (even if I am glad pvpers now have the option). We’ve always been told (by pvpers and everyone else) that you have to put in effort to get your toon ready for pvp or that a pvp build can still be viable in PVE or that you should just use one of your other builds for PVP setup.

This seems to be an admission that pve and pvp ARE indeed different enough that none of those previously stated arguments or suggestions were not viable. Or were too much of a time sick and indeed WERE correct reasoning as a response to “why don’t you pvp?”. When some folks brought  it up in the past they were told “those are just excuses.”

Okay then . . . 

I would be fine if they restricted these new instant level 50 PVE toons to level 50 zone content, tfs and newspaper/radio missions.

with that similar modification in place to the suggestion for instant level 50s for PVE, I ask again what’s the difference?

52 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Truthfully, the difference is that the PVP community on CoH is very small compared to the PVE community.  Any effects this has on the market etc is going to be correspondingly very small.  It's a nice QoL bone they can toss to PVP with little impact on the majority of players.

• Thumbs Up 2

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Just now, Grouchybeast said:

Truthfully, the difference is that the PVP community on CoH is very small compared to the PVE community.  Any effects this has on the market etc is going to be correspondingly very small.  It's a nice QoL bone they can toss to PVP with little impact on the majority of players.

it wouldn’t have much impact from PVE toons since they would have zero IOs also.  Both groups have to/would have to fund these new zone stuck insta 50s and it’s a separate sugar mama already slotted 50, or do the usual farming and/or AH marketing strategies to earn inf. From that perspective they would be in the same exact place.

One argument against instant level 50 PVE characters is that it might reduce the number of available teammates for lower level content and tfs. However many have said they don’t do lower level content until they have a fully IO’d level 50 to exempt down to do the lower level tfs/sfs (raises hand).

I guess the bigger thing is to look into what can be done to improve/refresh the lower level content for those of us who have done it to death for the 1000th time and no longer find it fun. So that an instant level whatever options stops being asked for.

8 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

it wouldn’t have much impact from PVE toons since they would have zero IOs also.  Both groups have to/would have to fund these new zone stuck insta 50s and it’s a separate sugar mama already slotted 50, or do the usual farming and/or AH marketing strategies to earn inf. From that perspective they would be in the same exact place.

One argument against instant level 50 PVE characters is that it might reduce the number of available teammates for lower level content and tfs. However many have said they don’t do lower level content until they have a fully IO’d level 50 to exempt down to do the lower level tfs/sfs (raises hand).

I guess the bigger thing is to look into what can be done to improve/refresh the lower level content for those of us who have done it to death for the 1000th time and no longer find it fun. So that an instant level whatever options stops being asked for.

I like the last part - perhaps that's what will be looked at in the next page! I'm a bit burnt out on Defeating Snakes for Burke and Saving the Hashbys.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

24 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

The qualitative effect might be the same, but not the quantitative one. PVE compared to PVP is a completely different scale.

None of those insta-50s would have created any drops on the way to 50.  They'd be buying IOs but not supplying IOs, and the process of levelling a character generates a multiple of the number of IOs they'll need to slot at 50 so the effect on IO supply and price has the potential to be significant.  At the very least, it's something that would need to be considered carefully by the devs.  Again, the very small numbers of PVP players mean the effect can be discounted.  Not so for PVE.

Edited by Grouchybeast

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

21 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

The qualitative effect might be the same, but not the quantitative one. PVE compared to PVP is a completely different scale.

None of those insta-50s would have created any drops on the way to 50.  They'd be buying IOs but not supplying IOs, and the process of levelling a character generates a multiple of the number of IOs they'll need to slot at 50 so the effect on IO supply and price has the potential to be significant.  At the very least, it's something that would need to be considered carefully by the devs.  Again, the very small numbers of PVP players mean the effect can be discounted.  Not so for PVE.

Honestly even on more regular played characters, to 50 I don't put ANY drops on the AH or buy anything on the AH. why? Cause of the upgrade with SOs. You just buy SOs early or get the ones that drop, and then just make sure you have enough inf to upgrade them (with the button that does so on the enhancements screen) as you go. I would actually like them to datamine just how many folks actual contribute or take things out of the market on their way to 50.

I just usually wait till 50 to buy and sell IOs. Also my converting game is in the level 30s enhancements, not 50s. And I do that on already fully formed 50s.

It would be interesting to datamine (if possible) how many others play like me. Start using and contributing to the market when they are already 50s, and not on the way there.

All my characters are buying attuned enhancements from the AH as they level. They are also dumping all their rare salvage on the AH as they level to get the money to buy those enhancements, though they still need a lot of support from my existing 50s for enough funds unless the enhancement is a very cheap one, but there you go. I don't bother with the SOs except to vendor them.