Does the player pick the character, or the character pick the player?

DrInfernus

I think the characters pick us at least in some way. I played a Kat/nin scrapper through Praetoria semi recently and really loved it. I did not expect this since I typically like damage and AoE, and while katana isn't horrible for either, it's not amazing either. The DA is super useful, and Soaring Dragon and Golden Dragonfly are just super awesome attacks. I put the crit ATO in Soaring Dragon, and I usually start things out with combat TP, crit from "hide" with Soaring Dragon, and hopefully crit Golden Dragonfly on some poor sucker right after that. I did another Praetoria run with DB instead next (on a stalker this time though) and I just felt nothing for the set. Sweeping Strikes was the only attack I really loved the feel/crunch of. The only attack I liked after that was AS. Going into this, I was thinking DB would be the one I'd like more. I just don't get it. The Kat/Nin is easily one of my favorite to play period, even though it is far from my strongest character. 

7 hours ago, Chaos String said:

Wait a minute, so if our characters pick us, and we pick our noses, by the transitive property of picking things, our characters pick our noses?

....wow, that could save me some time.

Yes, and I am glad someone followed the logic.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 11/10/2021 at 5:37 PM, biostem said:

Maybe I'm interpreting the OP too literally here, but the "character" is not an agent - they do not make decisions or "pick" anything.  Now, if what you're instead asking is whether certain powers or combinations or powers are or become much more appealing to certain players, or due to certain play experiences said player has had, then yes, those are definitely huge deciding factors on what one chooses to play...

Sounds like someone took the Blue Pill.

On 11/10/2021 at 1:54 AM, SeraphimKensai said:

The characters pick the player.

So since 2004, 498 (382 on live and 116 currently here) toons destined for greatness have picked me as their player. Although they've come from every origin and from every archetype they've all had a few things in common with each other.

• They strive for perfection in themselves, but have patience for those around them.
  • They aim to be unstoppable, like the type of heroes the Freedom Phalanx calls on when shit has hit the fan. I don't know what it is about these toons but they all keep buying IO's and forcing me to make builds for them that will make them gods.
  • They all learn at an extremely high rate, and share a hivemind through me as their chosen player.
  • They seem humble enough about sharing the spotlight with each other and take new heroes under their wings and propel them to greatness.

Overall I'm just a guy that's ultimately replaceable, they could find another host and overtime learn to play like they do, and who knows maybe one day I'll hand the keys over and let someone else drive.

While others took the Red.

... I don't know what the heck @Chaos String took, but I want some of it.

Edited by Six-Six
  • Haha 1