How do you have the most fun / get the best use out of super jump?

DougGraves

A while back, someone justified SJ as their preferred travel power because while the others got you somewhere, super jump was a mini game in itself.

I heartily agree. I find all kinds of silly things to do with it whether I'm traveling somewhere or just bopping around. In general, though, my goal is to make the smoothest travel by always hitting the optimum surface.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

4 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I like bouncing along the tram lines

Roof top to roof top for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

22 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

By using /bind h "powexecname super jump$$+up$$+autorun" and /bind j "powexecname super jump$$-up$$-autorun"

Good set. I've  found the bonus button on my Logi mouse are perfect for travel. Small rear button, all the "go" stuff. Larger front button (easier to hit), all the "stop" stuff. With flight and SJ in particular, it's insta-go and pinpoint stops in front of the contact, mish door, unsuspecting teammate...

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

18 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

By using super speed + combat jumping + prestige jump pack and not wasting a power pick on SJ.

So... you use two power choices plus a freebie to avoid choosing one power? Let me guess: you're a macroeconomics major?

• Haha 10

I like the jumping mini-game too.  I started with super jump, then I used Ninja Run, and now I use Infiltration, and learning how to time, angle, and understand hitting your landing target is something I've spent idle hours on over the years.  There's something just lovely about hopping from rooftop to rooftop in King's Row or parts of Peregrine Island.  Especially when you land behind an unsuspecting sniper with Crane Kick queued up....

I actually may strip out Winter's Gift from Infiltration and just put in a jump set.  I'm re-learning why I turned off speed boost at null the gull.  I seem to have lots of trouble maneuvering about at high running speeds.  Sure it's nice traveling between missions, but in caves and tight office spaces, I suck at it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Aracknight said:

I actually may strip out Winter's Gift from Infiltration and just put in a jump set.  I'm re-learning why I turned off speed boost at null the gull.  I seem to have lots of trouble maneuvering about at high running speeds.  Sure it's nice traveling between missions, but in caves and tight office spaces, I suck at it.

And, while we're talking about binds, my MIDDLEBUTTON always turns off all speed and turns on either Sprint (old school) or Athletic Run, which is just about right for cave missions. Further clicks toggle the low-speed boost.

Edited by Shenanigunner

59 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

And, while we're talking about binds, my MIDDLEBUTTON always turns off all speed and turns on either Sprint (old school) or Athletic Run, which is just about right for cave missions. Further clicks toggle the low-speed boost.

Well I usually rock infilitration two slotted with winter's gift and sprint with the stealth IO, which makes me pretty undetectable.   The running speed is a little too much though, I'm SR and with Infiltration and Sprint running, I'm at the old speed cap of 92 mph running, which is hard for me to control.  I thought it was cool to be at the old run speed cap without super speed, but it's not cool after all.  It's a bit too fast for me tactically.  I guess the option of putting the stealth IO in Infitlration exists, and turning off Sprint would probably save me some END.

But it's the old speed cap!  lol.

1 hour ago, DreadShinobi said:

By using super speed + combat jumping + prestige jump pack and not wasting a power pick on SJ.

You can get Athletic Run going at a good enough rate to not really need SS.

I'm borderline at skipping a travel power while using Athletic Run + CJ/Hover as needed and grabbing a flight power, see Hover Disk, at the P2W. It partly depends if I'm okay with not using a travel power to get something like a Resist Slow IO or +mag to KB IO.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

So... you use two power choices plus a freebie to avoid choosing one power? Let me guess: you're a macroeconomics major?

1 hour ago, Without_Pause said:

You can get Athletic Run going at a good enough rate to not really need SS.

I'm borderline at skipping a travel power while using Athletic Run + CJ/Hover as needed and grabbing a flight power, see Hover Disk, at the P2W. It partly depends if I'm okay with not using a travel power to get something like a Resist Slow IO or +mag to KB IO.

SS+CJ are featured in every single build I play.

Super speed provides stealth and full invis with celerity IO in sprint.

Super speed provides -threat which is irreplaceable unless you are an illusion controller.

Combat jumping provides combat movement control that is irreplaceable.

Combat jumping pads your defense rating. It is a better defense pad than 6 pc Gaussians.

Combat jumping provides immobilize protection.

Combat Jumping typically holds a LotG recharge bonus in base slot + Shield Wall and Reactive Defenses and possibly a Kismet for builds that need it.

Combat Jumping also increases the movement control you have while using the prestige jump pack.

Super Jump, other than the final bullet point mentioning jump pack control, provides none of the utility above. Super Jump just makes you jump.

Edited by DreadShinobi

Currently on fire.

Parabolic Flight with SJ+DJ.  Launch and hold until at max height in the direction you want to go, drift the remainder, aim the camera straight down to "feel" the falling effect.

Something about falling from great heights in video games has appealed to me ever since Tribes and jet-pack skiing in that game.

Super Jump was the first travel I ever took in this game back in '04.  Once I unlocked it I think I spent the next day or so while in game just jumping around and exploring zones.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I like SJ because picking out my landing spots on a series of jumps is fun.  I also like teleport for travel because I have to be clever with my route to get there efficiently -- it's a bit of a minigame. Fly is great, I like it too, but it's a bit too easy. Maybe if fly had inertia and I could accidentally bump into a building or obstruction and toggle out of it for a moment it would have similar draw to me.

The only thing I don't like about SJ, and this is a bit contradictory, is the directional control seems too good. 

By yelling as I leap away: Hulk is the strongest there iiiiiiiisssssss!

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.