Forum Badges

• City Council
30 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Too bad.  I was having fun with the new badges.

6 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Me too

I'm still interested in bringing it back in some capacity using badges from in-game, but no promises.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

On 11/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, Greycat said:

... in regards to the OP, the sky is not falling, DOOOOOOOOOOOM is not upon us,

Well, that is over exaggerating.

there won't be a "caste system"

When labels are applied, they do cause reactions.

and if someone gets spammy, report it to the mods and go on with life.

I don't report people to the mods unless it is death threats or something else that would be code of content breaking.

If there's an option that can be added for people to ignore them, fine. If not... just ignore them.

If ignore was salt, my doctor would tell me to stop using the forums.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, Cipher said:

We will not be rolling back the updates. These updates included a number of other feature releases, bug fixes, and security patches. Additionally, pinning the forum software version would mean that we are unable to upgrade in the future and receive security patches for new vulnerabilities that are discovered.

Security first.

That is understood.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Any long-time forum reader will recognize names of others and know their reputation from what they wrote and how they respond, and not from any metrics-based badges.

However, for others I don't know from reading and interaction, I like to see when they joined and how many posts and responses (good, bad, indifferent) they've made and gathered. Mainly this will shape my interpretation of what they write -- are they new, possibly unknowledgeable, merit a gentle first interaction with the community, and so forth. I don't think badges, especially if they're new and spottily assigned will do that.  

Getting badges is cool, and I think mostly harmless. Judging other people from them, not so much.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It is going to cause a flood of postings simply to achieve badges.

It will also create a caste system by labeling the poster openly and obviously so others can make judgement upon them based on the displayed badge.

@UltraAlt is not entirely wrong. I support the opinion while not agreeing.

but in other news..

image.png.0007c5e0617d524b42c9b1e87798c3fd.png not just 'regular' popular.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Id prefer badges over losing post count and reputation from the display as well.  I dont have everyone memorized and its helpful to know if im replying to someone new.

Reminds me of when we lost enter base from passcode.  There was alot of talk,  they did it anyway and everyone got over it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh, I don't think everyone got over it.  I still see some complaints from time to time in General chat.  "Putting up with" isn't the same as "getting over."

(To be clear, the enterbase controversy is not a particular issue for me given the replacement tools put in place and the comfortable Inf contributions I receive offsetting the inconvenience.  I just think it's worth addressing that sometimes people stop complaining not because they accept a given situation, but because they feel their complaints are being dismissed.)

• Like 1

I don't have any particular attachment to the Forum Badge System, nor do I really care about the ability to rate posts, though I do find it rather humorous that some people want to get rid of all the "negative rating" options because of "potential abuse" or whatever. If all you want is positive feedback or no feedback, perhaps being social, on the internet or otherwise, isn't really for you. Negative criticism, even if it's just a simple "no" with no fluff, is valuable. Disregarding it because you aren't given an essay on why they don't agree, when you're not likely to even care what they have to say because they disagreed with you, is just silly and shortsighted. Sometimes, your idea just isn't that important to warrant the effort.

As an aside, it's rather interesting that one of the people complaining about the "thumbs down" reaction is busy thumbing down most of the people here who disagree with him. I can't tell if it's just a lack of self-awareness, hypocrisy, or an attempt to "prove his own point" by being the abuser he claims others will be. None of them are particularly good, but it is kinda funny.

• Thanks 1

exChampion and exInfinity player (Champion primarily).

Current resident of the Everlasting shard.

• 11 months later