The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

From information on casting and shooting, some of this is getting rearranged. It sounds like Caemlyn is going to be in season 2, for instance. They've got Elayne cast.

IIRC, Brandon Sanderson (who picked up and finished the series) basically said "consider it another turning of the wheel." So, similarities, but not word for word. Which is good, because a lot of this would be *really* hard to do on screen and would absolutely kill the series.

Why bother having it in Season 2 though?  My guess now is they will skip Book 2 entirely,  and move onto Books 3 and 4 for Season 2.  If they even do book 4 at all.  

They already skipped Caemlyn in Book 1, and outside of Mat's delivering a letter for Elayne nothing really happens to the 5 main POV characters in Caemlyn until several books later.  

The alternate timeline stuff shouldn't be a crutch though.  I guess Sanderson knew A LOT had changed and wanted to preempt some criticism.   Not everything that has been changed would be hard to show on screen.  Since a lot of the stuff they are skipping so far is dialog and character development.  Probably to keep the tension and action levels higher.  

As a fan of the books, I will not be watching the show.  From the spoilers I've read about, they changed too much about the characters from the get-go, and I think watching it would just make me repeatedly yell "did they even READ the books?!" at the TV.  Detailed gripes in the spoiler section, if anyone wants to read a stranger's complaints on the internet 😛.

Spoiler

Rand and Egwene having a physical relationship basically spoils ALL of their character interactions from the earlier books, since they had that "will they, won't they" teenage love angst thing going on.  Of course, it could be argued that this is not a bad change, but I always found it comforting to know that even fantasy heroes destined for Great Things had the same kind of social awkwardness as everyone else.

Perrin is married?  What?!  It feels like they did this just to give the character some damage from the get-go to make him another brooding hero trying to atone for his mistakes.  That's not Perrin's character AT ALL!  At least not this early in the story (he has his angsty moments, but still, this just feels like they didn't "get" the character).

I'm also wondering how they'll deal with Rand not being a head taller than everyone else, since it kind-of ends up being a plot point when he meets the Aiel.  Him being a red-head isn't enough, because, although uncommon, there are a far number of wetlanders with read hair.  They're just usually shorter than the Aiel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

20 minutes ago, Shocktacular said:

As a fan of the books, I will not be watching the show.  From the spoilers I've read about, they changed too much about the characters from the get-go, and I think watching it would just make me repeatedly yell "did they even READ the books?!" at the TV.  Detailed gripes in the spoiler section, if anyone wants to read a stranger's complaints on the internet 😛.

Hide contents

Rand and Egwene having a physical relationship basically spoils ALL of their character interactions from the earlier books, since they had that "will they, won't they" teenage love angst thing going on.  Of course, it could be argued that this is not a bad change, but I always found it comforting to know that even fantasy heroes destined for Great Things had the same kind of social awkwardness as everyone else.

Perrin is married?  What?!  It feels like they did this just to give the character some damage from the get-go to make him another brooding hero trying to atone for his mistakes.  That's not Perrin's character AT ALL!  At least not this early in the story (he has his angsty moments, but still, this just feels like they didn't "get" the character).

I'm also wondering how they'll deal with Rand not being a head taller than everyone else, since it kind-of ends up being a plot point when he meets the Aiel.  Him being a red-head isn't enough, because, although uncommon, there are a far number of wetlanders with read hair.  They're just usually shorter than the Aiel.

Spoiler

As to Rand .. They simply don't deal with it.  Evidently Aiel aren't tall in this world.  The only hint we get is the hair thing.  They don't even give us Tam's fevered confession. 

37 minutes ago, Krimson said:

I'm acquainted with author Michael Moorcock, and he did not have a high opinion of the series. So since I value his opinion, and let him take the bullet for me, I'm going to give this one a miss. 

Maybe its a good thing they didn't want to do Elric after all ... 

7 hours ago, Krimson said:

He had tried to get Elric on the small screen. Not sure who he talked to, but the reason it was turned down was that Elric is...

"Too much like Witcher."

Yeah...

Yes, I remember you mentioning.

I wonder if one of the reasons The Witcher TV series turned out good, is that the witcher books are short and simplistic compared to something like Wheel of Time, making adapting easier. 

WELL!

The latest episode is the one where my spouse said:  "I know they're changing a lot, but I am on-board for this!"

Mainly related to an interpretation of a certain pair of witchy ladies having . . . interactions which my spouse had always read as subtext in the original books.

Spouse still says the original books are better than this series, but that doesn't mean this series is bad.  Different, and good, and changing a LOT of little things in ways that stack up substantially over time . . . but that also keeps things interesting.

And the important bits (whatever those might be) are apparently still there.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:40 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

WELL!

The latest episode is the one where my spouse said:  "I know they're changing a lot, but I am on-board for this!"

Mainly related to an interpretation of a certain pair of witchy ladies having . . . interactions which my spouse had always read as subtext in the original books.

Spouse still says the original books are better than this series, but that doesn't mean this series is bad.  Different, and good, and changing a LOT of little things in ways that stack up substantially over time . . . but that also keeps things interesting.

And the important bits (whatever those might be) are apparently still there.

The books are allowed time for the characters to develop. I think the show it fast-forwarding/streamlining events in case the plug gets pulled after Season 2.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:12 AM, Ohsirus said:

The books are allowed time for the characters to develop. I think the show it fast-forwarding/streamlining events in case the plug gets pulled after Season 2.

The main character of this series is Moraine.  The two rivers folks are barely more than extras.  I figure thats why they are focusing so much of their exposition time on warders and Aes Sedai rather than Rand, Mat and Perrin.

Edited by Haijinx

22 hours ago, Haijinx said:

The main character of this series is Moraine.  The two rivers folks are barely more than extras.  I figure thats why they are focusing so much of their exposition time on warders and Aes Sedai rather than Rand, Mat and Perrin.

I don't think we are going to see Cadsuane in this version. I watched a video of Brandon Sanderson saying he disliked the character also so have a feeling Moraine will be playing the part.

23 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Mmm.

Well, The Aes Sedai are the "powers" to begin with ... and the books go from that to showing all the squabbles and politicking inside. They're starting to touch on that. The focus will change and give our ta'varen their time soon enough, I'm aure.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Mmm.

Well, The Aes Sedai are the "powers" to begin with ... and the books go from that to showing all the squabbles and politicking inside. They're starting to touch on that. The focus will change and give our ta'varen their time soon enough, I'm aure.

The books have the real estate to do that though.  And it builds more gradually.  They instead develop Rand's character and story first.

Then the other two rivers folk, then the other characters.  The world is presented similairily Emond's Field, then the Two Rivers, then Andor ..

Much like you the reader is perhaps from Emond's Field learning as you go.  

I get that there is no time to do that here.  But they did find a way to spend the lion's share of 3 of 8 episodes on the Aes Sedi, Warders, Moraine and Lan.

2 hours ago, Ohsirus said:

I don't think we are going to see Cadsuane in this version. I watched a video of Brandon Sanderson saying he disliked the character also so have a feeling Moraine will be playing the part.

The more that comes out from Sanderson, the less it sounds that Sanderson's input was heeded.

The showrunner has stated that he sees Moraine as the main character.  So I imagine you are right about Cadsuane though.  Of course that reduces Mat's arc again.  

So far his story seems like it will be the most reduced.  

Though if the actually pull the lever on the fan fear that the Dragon is split among many ... then I guess it wont just be Mat. 

11 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Though if the actually pull the lever on the fan fear that the Dragon is split among many ... then I guess it wont just be Mat.

WHile they're changing quite a bit for TV, I *really* doubt this'll be the case.

Spoiler

The girls were already strong in the books without dragonizing them.  And Perrin's already showing his Wolfbrother side. Mat's already started speaking the Old Tongue, as I recall, though that's the dagger, I think (I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get the whole "need to get it back from Padin Fain" bit - or maybe just haven't gotten it back yet, but with Mat cured of it, well...

Mat... well, they changed actors, I *think* the last ep was the last time we see *that* actor playing him (which is too bad, I rather liked him in the role, but the new guy seems to have chops, so...)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

• 2 weeks later

OK. I've been pretty forgiving of the show so far. I *know* they have to make changes for pacing, to tell the story in a way that deals with a different format and an unfamiliar audience, so I've been giving it some leeway.

Have to admit, this last episode had me leaning much more into the "WTF are they doing?" For what it was supposed to be, it was ... pretty underwhelming, with quite a bit out of nowhere.

Spoiler

I mean, ok, it was interesting to see Lews Therin having a discussion before going off with his Companions to seal the Dark One - but the books kind of indicated there was *much* more hostile of a rift between the women and men over this plan. And they certainly didn't seem to know "oh, your side of the source will be tainted!" The scene also just sort of ... came out of nowhere.

And for the battle at the Eye of the World, that was... pretty underwhelming. At first I thought, given the people involved, they were going to mix it with Falme, which would have irritated me more. I suppose in a way they did, but... didn't, too. I mean, sure, I kind of liked the "temptation of Rand," but at the same time, that's Egwene when she goes through the arches... are they going to run that scene again? Kind of loses the impact. And Rand is so ... dour. Why isn't he celebrating his "I just beat him!" moment? Sure, worry about going insane. But it's like winning an out-of-nowhere victory at... I don't know, Indianapolis, and when getting interviewed, going "No, I'm not happy, we went through way more tires than I wanted" instead of celebrating.  (Granted, in this case, 'and getting slapped down,' but still.)

Will I keep watching... Probably, just tagging it as "inspired by the WoT" more than an adaptation. But yeah. I'm ... kind of not even whelmed with this last episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Final Episode was so much of a train wreck that I have no idea if they even deserve a Season 2. I think they really should have made the series based on Lewis Telamon, the forsaken, and the breaking. The amount of freedom and edgy storylines would be insane.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, Ohsirus said:

The Final Episode was so much of a train wreck that I have no idea if they even deserve a Season 2. I think they really should have made the series based on Lewis Telamon, the forsaken, and the breaking. The amount of freedom and edgy storylines would be insane.

I mean it could have been worse I guess.

I watched a version of Macbeth that was all Leather Jackets and Blue Jeans for example.

Next up: The Food Network presents the Wheel of Thyme... Who is the Dragonfruit Reborn?