Any active Star Trek Online players?

RogerWilco

Hi, I've also started playing some Star Trek Online (Don't worry, CoH is not going anywhere), and I'm looking for a fleet. Any people out there who could recommend one for us, given that we're quite casual players?

We're Dutch and in the CET time zone, so most of the US based fleets are not a good fit, and the NL fleets seem to no longer be active, so maybe an EU or UK one that someone is a member of?

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

• 2 months later

I have a lifetime subscription to STO, but I mostly stopped playing after they got rid of the Foundry.

Even when I did play, I never paid much attention to fleets.  I'd just join whatever one I saw recruiting or if I liked the name.  If you're looking for something more particular, and it sounds like you are, I'd recommend trying the STO reddit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played ST:O in oh, a Vulcan Pon Farr or two.

But if the Firefly Fleet's still running around, tell them Dr. Amy Weaver sent you and there'll be all of hell, half of heaven and me to pay if they mistreat you.

AND DON'T TOUCH MY DAMN WHISKEY. I'll be back for it.

Sometime.

Edit: this is, of course, also from before we knew Joss was quite as much of a verengan Ha'DIbaH as he turned out to be. (Curse his not-particularly-sudden and inexplicable betrayal). But the fleet are still pretty good folks. As are everyone I've met realtime from the Flandom.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
Never trust your heroes. Especially me.
  • Like 2

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I haven't played ST:O in oh, a Vulcan Pon Farr or two.

But if the Firefly Fleet's still running around, tell them Dr. Amy Weaver sent you and there'll be all of hell, half of heaven and me to pay if they mistreat you.

AND DON'T TOUCH MY DAMN WHISKEY. I'll be back for it.

Sometime.

Edit: this is, of course, also from before we knew Joss was quite as much of a verengan Ha'DIbaH as he turned out to be. (Curse his not-particularly-sudden and inexplicable betrayal). But the fleet are still pretty good folks. As are everyone I've met realtime from the Flandom.

The way I look at it is this:  The fact that Joss Whedon turned out to be a DB, doesn't invalidate the hard work, creativity, time and talent that the rest of the actors, writers, and other employees poured their collective hearts out into, for those shows and their fans.  Because of this, I still love those shows, and I feel no remorse about that.

• Like 3

Haven't played in years.  I played through the Delta Quadrant content and stopped when they were rolling out the first bits of the Iconian conflicts.  Don't really care to go back, despite how much I love Star Trek's style of broadsides space combat, the rest of the game didn't do enough for me and really doesn't feel authentic if you try to compare it to the TV shows.  That said the Voyager arc was pretty cool.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I play STO fairly regularly.  I have various alts from the recruitment events I am slowly working on as well as play the seasonal events daily.  The free stuff from those are always nice.  Mostly I am soloing story content, patrols or doing tasks for Endeavors.  I dislike teaming for TFOs as the amount of VFX vomit is totally out of control there.   It makes teaming near impossible as you literally cannot see what is happening due to the over saturation of VFX.  Sad really, but Cryptic does not seem interested in changing anything about it.  The newer story content has been top notch.

I haven't played STO since... some time around the 3rd Anniversary. I went back and played briefly right after the launch of Romulans. Haven't been back since.

Did they ever add exploration to STO?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

The Borg took out my laptop.

I did one of the high-tier endgame Borg raids, took a few hits, and just heard a really unpleasant crackly noise over my headphones. Everything froze, then the machine went SKRREEEEEE. All that was left was a green line across my screen, and my beloved Sony VAIO bit the dust. Wouldn't reboot except in Safe Mode for short periods, and the GFX card had melted.

Clearly the Borg have evolved some kind of fiendish anti-graphics-card torpedo. As I was between gigs at the time, I couldn't afford a new one, and my next work laptop was a Mac Air, so it's just been handheld gaming for a while. My slightly aging Mac Pro can handle CoH (though I use a massive heatsink+fan as a keyboard riser, otherwise the keys get hot.)

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

The Borg took out my laptop.

I did one of the high-tier endgame Borg raids, took a few hits, and just heard a really unpleasant crackly noise over my headphones. Everything froze, then the machine went SKRREEEEEE. All that was left was a green line across my screen, and my beloved Sony VAIO bit the dust. Wouldn't reboot except in Safe Mode for short periods, and the GFX card had melted.

Clearly the Borg have evolved some kind of fiendish anti-graphics-card torpedo. As I was between gigs at the time, I couldn't afford a new one, and my next work laptop was a Mac Air, so it's just been handheld gaming for a while. My slightly aging Mac Pro can handle CoH (though I use a massive heatsink+fan as a keyboard riser, otherwise the keys get hot.)

Sounds like the Borg developed that n-dimesional structure that the Federation was holding in reserve to fight them with...
And used it against you

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 2/17/2022 at 2:41 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

On 2/17/2022 at 5:49 PM, Cancrusher said:

The way I look at it is this:  The fact that Joss Whedon turned out to be a DB, doesn't invalidate the hard work, creativity, time and talent that the rest of the actors, writers, and other employees poured their collective hearts out into, for those shows and their fans.  Because of this, I still love those shows, and I feel no remorse about that.

I agree, @Cancrusher.  The creation should transcend the creator.  I said that also about the MCU Black Panther, although there it was the sad loss of amazing Chadwick, rather than anything ugly he did.

On the subject of STO, I've got an account but haven't touched it in a while.  I'd taken a keen interest in the Romulans, but was put out by a lot of buggy issues that weren't being address over a long time.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:36 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I re-registered after reading this thread, found they still hadn't created a Mac client, left again. 

They stopped supporting Mac a long time ago.  There is not enough people using Macs to justify maintaining two different systems.

• 3 weeks later

All the replies made me laugh.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:30 AM, irishhawk said:

I might look into that fleet, thanks!

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:36 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I re-registered after reading this thread, found they still hadn't created a Mac client, left again. 

Sorry to hear about your other laptop.

Given your description of your "Mac Pro" I assume it is a Macbook Pro? I use an old 2010 Mac Pro, so your statement was a bit confusing.

I'm also sad that there is no Mac client for STO, but on the other hand that means I play more CoH when travelling, on my Macbook Pro.

Most Macbooks need adequate cooling to play a game, a lot of other laptops as well, unless you have a real "gaming laptop".

And even then, over time thermal stresses can damage things over time. I used to have a Macbook Pro with an Nvidia GT9800, which over time broke itself from the repeated temperature cycles. It was a known problem, and Apple fixed it for free.

• 3 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later
On 4/13/2022 at 2:26 PM, Lightslinger said:

The beautiful STO ship pics that get posted to reddit always make me want to give STO another try. I tried it for a few months around launch and nothing clicked for me, despite being a big ST fan.

The thing I like most are the stories with voice acting by the original actors. A lot of the actors of the various series have lines, even some of the Original Series cast, like Leonard Nemoy. The stories are well done and the voice acting is the one great advantage over CoH. You can easily do those stories with basic random Mark 12 gear that is very easy to get by max level. Levelling is also easy, everything gives tons of XP, I have a level 34 character that hasn't left Star Fleet Academy yet.

You can get up to Mark 15 gear, and also sets that give extra bonuses, mostly through long grinds, but sometimes also through mission rewards. It's like going from SO enhancements to IO enhancements to IO enhancement sets. Lots of the improvements are behind long but not very tedious grinds. I do think there are too many stupid grinds.

The costume designer is ok-ish, on the Klingon side it is decidedly MEH, especially if you don't play an Orion.

There are only 3 roles: Engineer, Science, Tactical. This doesn't really matter in space, where the kind of ship makes the difference, but on the ground your character's abilities matter. I like Engineer the most so far.

Edited by RogerWilco