Building and running the game from source

RogerWilco

So, given that the source of the game is availabe (at least the ourodev version), a friend and myself have had a go at downloading and compiling the game. I want to have a go at understanding the source code and looking at some of the limitations/bugs that annoy me, and see if I can have a go at fixing them. This might lead nowhere, or it might lead to some suggestions/patches to the HC dev team at some point. I have been digging though the code and I think there are certainly pieces of code that I feel confident modifying.

I think I got (some of it) it to compile, but I'm a bit lost on how to go from there.

Which bits go where on the server and client, and what databases do I need? I find mostly dead links if I try to figure this out, do people know of a resource that explains this in some detail? I know there are some VM images out there that I could try to reverse engineer, but I was wondering if other resources exist.

I also think that the Homecoming current version of the sources is not available online (in a public location), but for my interest, the sources in ourodev are close enough: live and HC work the same for the things I'm interested in. If someone knows where the HC code would be available, I would be possibly be interested, especially if they made improvements to make it easier to run things.

I would like to see if I can compile from source and then get the game running. I think I have the hardware lying around that it should be possible. (16/24 core machines with 64-256GB of RAM)

I'm no expert by any means, and my skills for developing on Windows are a little rusty, but I've more than dabbled in a lot of things professionally, and that's why me and my friend are looking into this.

Thanks for any help or tips.

Edited by RogerWilco

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

• Retired Developer

If you have Discord, the OuroDev Discord server would be one of the best place to ask or get support for that, especially compiling (they're usually pretty helpful in there to questions similar to yours!)

Homecoming's code base has diverged enough by now that it may not always be apples to apples (if you plan on suggesting changes), and the code used here isn't publicly available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Naomi said:

Homecoming's code base has diverged enough by now that it may not always be apples to apples (if you plan on suggesting changes), and the code used here isn't publicly available.

Could you explain by chance the reasoning for this? Were I to set up a standalone instance, I'd prefer it to utilize the HC code.

• Retired Developer
13 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Could you explain by chance the reasoning for this? Were I to set up a standalone instance, I'd prefer it to utilize the HC code.

I couldn't personally, as I would only be speculating, and if my speculations mention any of the obvious reasons, I don't want the thread going off topic from the OPs question and turning into a debate about what Homecoming should or shouldn't do, as all of the arguments against or for such a possibility are well known.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Not by me... but thanks for the reply.

Imagine a graph.

On the X-axis, label it "proprietary vs open source," which is the great tech debate of our time.

On the Y-axis, label it "childish bullshit CoH drama."

That's basically all the things everyone naturally wants to opine about in any thread about "why does HC..." or simple form "why HC" etc.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:12 AM, Naomi said:

If you have Discord, the OuroDev Discord server would be one of the best place to ask or get support for that, especially compiling (they're usually pretty helpful in there to questions similar to yours!)

Thanks, I will see if I can give that a go.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png