Thiccness or: How I've Learned to Stop Staring and Embrace the Butt

Redletter

Real talk, I've seen some enviably thicc characters that seem to go beyond what the sliders are providing. Ive seen characters with abs on tops and outfits that dont normally have them. Am I missing something? What Character Creation wizardy am I missing here?

Resident certified baby

Since this is a costume post it might get more responses in the Art & Multimedia section, but!

For the abs thing, you might be seeing folks use the new Bodysuit Muscled options (well, 'comparatively new' against the original, less detailed Tights from launch). They give a lot more sculpted definition, and using the right colors/patterns can make characters that look much more buff than CoX allowed before.

Those options also define other aspects of character models, especially on female avatars - which is helped along by taking the Leg slider down and raising the overall Height slider up to compensate. The default Female model has ridiculously long legs but if you shorten them, everything else retains the prior scale so it creates a much stockier looking build.

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

There are third-party programs that have historically been used to modify player-character costume files in ways which the costume creator typically doesn't allow.  I most recently saw a player with such a modified costume about 3 or 4 months ago.  Officially, it's not permitted, and threads that have provided detailed instructions on how to reproduce the effects get hidden/deleted by GMs.

On a less intensive scale (pun?), it's possible to edit a saved costume file to adjust the Scale values manually, even including a hidden scale value for forearms (however, forearms always revert after you zone an affected character, and only Plastic Surgeon NPCs can be used to adjust these arm scales, as regular Tailors don't have the prerequisite function).

However, for characters with "fat bottoms?"  I'm guessing it's just a matter of thin waist, wide musculature, short legs, and tight hips.  MAYBE with the manual scalar modifications to accentuate them to their most extreme limits.

3 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

There are third-party programs that have historically been used to modify player-character costume files in ways which the costume creator typically doesn't allow.  I most recently saw a player with such a modified costume about 3 or 4 months ago.  Officially, it's not permitted, and threads that have provided detailed instructions on how to reproduce the effects get hidden/deleted by GMs.

Wouldnt that only be client side? I can't imagine that a third party program would like, affect what the server itself displays, right? Maybe Im thinking of something else.

On a less intensive scale (pun?), it's possible to edit a saved costume file to adjust the Scale values manually, even including a hidden scale value for forearms (however, forearms always revert after you zone an affected character, and only Plastic Surgeon NPCs can be used to adjust these arm scales, as regular Tailors don't have the prerequisite function).

That last bit makes me imagine a "popeye" costume going over really well.

However, for characters with "fat bottoms?"  I'm guessing it's just a matter of thin waist, wide musculature, short legs, and tight hips.  MAYBE with the manual scalar modifications to accentuate them to their most extreme limits.

Well no, not necessarily characters with prodigous cakes. It's mostly the legs, really. Maybe it's the leg length trick mentioned above! I have no idea how the model scaling works.

Resident certified baby

Client-side mods are definitely a thing, yes.

But . . . hopefully without saying anything that might get this post deleted . . . there have been ways (no idea if they've all been patched out by this point) to "crack" the client in such a way as to send a false-positive on the costume validation check to the server.

One such instance of this made it's way in to a first place winner during one of the earliest official Homecoming costume contests.  A player had managed to get Arachnoid claws on their character as a back detail.  There was minor outrage when some players pointed this out, and that player had their win rescinded, and the official contests have sported a warning against "costume manipulation" ever since.

Also, yeah.  The forearm scale value definitely causes a form of "Popeyeism."  Only really suitable for gorilla characters, and even then it's not quite right.

6 hours ago, El D said:

Since this is a costume post it might get more responses in the Art & Multimedia section, but!

For the abs thing, you might be seeing folks use the new Bodysuit Muscled options (well, 'comparatively new' against the original, less detailed Tights from launch). They give a lot more sculpted definition, and using the right colors/patterns can make characters that look much more buff than CoX allowed before.

Those options also define other aspects of character models, especially on female avatars

Definitely not the muscled bodysuit, I use that as well. The characters in question werent in any spandex of tights - though my dream of "nightwing butt-man" has been helped immearuasbly by their inclusion.

6 hours ago, El D said:

which is helped along by taking the Leg slider down and raising the overall Height slider up to compensate. The default Female model has ridiculously long legs but if you shorten them, everything else retains the prior scale so it creates a much stockier looking build.

I had NO idea that worked that way! That may just be it! Though the way it makes the legs looks quite stout is iffy on some legwear.

• Thumbs Up 1

Resident certified baby

6 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

Client-side mods are definitely a thing, yes.

But . . . hopefully without saying anything that might get this post deleted . . . there have been ways (no idea if they've all been patched out by this point) to "crack" the client in such a way as to send a false-positive on the costume validation check to the server.

One such instance of this made it's way in to a first place winner during one of the earliest official Homecoming costume contests.  A player had managed to get Arachnoid claws on their character as a back detail.

That sounds like... uncessarily complicated and silly. The creator is one of the most indpeth things, and has very few genuine problems. Im more about trying to figure out how these people managed to make a more fullbodied character, since I dont think anything they're doing is outside the realms of the sliders -- given ive seen too many of them to suggest something like some kind of file manipulation.

There was minor outrage when some players pointed this out, and that player had their win rescinded, and the official contests have sported a warning against "costume manipulation" ever since.

Aw! That sucks. Winners dont use Fashion Enhancing drugs!

Also, yeah.  The forearm scale value definitely causes a form of "Popeyeism."  Only really suitable for gorilla characters, and even then it's not quite right.

Return to monkey...

Resident certified baby

12 hours ago, Redletter said:

That sounds like... uncessarily complicated and silly.

I might have thought so, too - until I saw a near-perfect Homer Simpson at a costume contest on Triumph way back when.  Granted, he barely had enough time to say "D'oh!" before getting kicked off the server, but I was honestly and deeply impressed on several levels.

I haven't seen anything like that. The character customization is pretty good though. With the right color scheme, you can make a bottom piece bigger than it usually is and make the butt big or whatever. I doubt it's mods or anything like that. Also there's no jiggle effects so having huge butts and boobs doesn't look right anyways!