Jump to content

Can we PLEASE get a no tolerance policy against unsolicited sexual comments in tells?


johua
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, GM Kal said:

If there is only one report, and someone says "Eh Homecoming didn't do anything (that I personally saw), I'm not going to bother!" the system breaks down right then at a warning or temp ban, and the harasser keeps on going, likely targeting other people too.

Which is exactly why sending an in game email from a GM to the reporting player with a "He's been warned" or a "He was given a time out" or something like that would fix that problem.

 

The system breaks down because you GM's refuse to disclose if any action is taking place, we can't see any action taking place, so it feels like no action is taking place.

 

Every single time I log on to Siege I constantly see "xXxRacistNamexXx was banned by Battle Eye" fly across my screen constantly. You know what I know about Siege? I know for a fact that if I do anything stupid I'll get banned by Battle Eye. Everyone knows that. Here, everyone's convinced that nothing happens because they only see nothing happen.

 

The system breaks down because of your rules, GM Kal. Will you ever consider changing your rules? No? Then the system's going to keep breaking down. You could fix it, but you won't. That's on you.

  • Thumbs Down 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Homecoming Team
3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Which is exactly why sending an in game email from a GM to the reporting player with a "He's been warned" or a "He was given a time out" or something like that would fix that problem.

 

The system breaks down because you GM's refuse to disclose if any action is taking place, we can't see any action taking place, so it feels like no action is taking place.

 

Every single time I log on to Siege I constantly see "xXxRacistNamexXx was banned by Battle Eye" fly across my screen constantly. You know what I know about Siege? I know for a fact that if I do anything stupid I'll get banned by Battle Eye. Everyone knows that. Here, everyone's convinced that nothing happens because they only see nothing happen.

 

The system breaks down because of your rules, GM Kal. Will you ever consider changing your rules? No? Then the system's going to keep breaking down. You could fix it, but you won't. That's on you.

 

The policy of not disclosing actions taken against other players is to protect the privacy of our player base and to avoid introducing or worsening patterns of harassment that you often see within online games, including things like 'report brigading'. You should also understand that many times, our GMs have to do further investigation and take a wider perspective into consideration when making their judgement; and often times, this will include factors that you may not have been aware of when making the report. Things are seldom as simple as dealing with a name like "xXxRacistNamexXx".

 

Yes, this policy is not without downsides - one of which being that players can sometimes feel like their reports are being unheard or ignored, but we ask that the community have faith that our team is reading through every report we receive and taking appropriate action where necessary. Please utilize the report / petition feature, and do not assume that your reports are unread or that other players have reported something that you've seen. When everyone views the system this way, it quickly leads to situations where things simply aren't reported, and then everyone assumes that we must have ignored the reports about it because nothing happened. In reality, in these situations, it was simply a matter of us having not received a report to begin with.

 

As of the time of this post, our GM team has closed over 40,000 tickets -- over 40 tickets per day since Homecoming started in April 2019. These are a mix of various forms of support, and reports against other players, and in every case a GM manually reviewed the ticket, replied, and took any necessary actions.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Cipher

Homecoming Team

 

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

 

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Cipher said:

The policy of not disclosing actions taken against other players is to protect the privacy of our player base and to avoid introducing or worsening patterns of harassment that you often see within online games, including things like 'report brigading'.

First, thank you for responding. And thank you explaining rather than getting defensive and/or attacking me.

 

Secondly, perhaps then an in game email, perhaps sent automatically when the ticket gets closed, that says "A GM has read your report." At least then people wouldn't feel that the reports are just being ignored and/or not read.

 

Please remember, it's not that players are making baseless assumptions. Players will often star and/or friend the account they've reported. Then, when they see the account is still online days later, it appears that no action has been taken. We're not in the loop so we can only make decisions based on available information.

 

And finally, I want to say thank you to you, and to the entire Council of Thirteen, for keeping Homecoming up and running and still alive with updates.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

First, thank you for responding. And thank you explaining rather than getting defensive and/or attacking me.

 

Secondly, perhaps then an in game email, perhaps sent automatically when the ticket gets closed, that says "A GM has read your report." At least then people wouldn't feel that the reports are just being ignored and/or not read.

 

Please remember, it's not that players are making baseless assumptions. Players will often star and/or friend the account they've reported. Then, when they see the account is still online days later, it appears that no action has been taken. We're not in the loop so we can only make decisions based on available information.

 

And finally, I want to say thank you to you, and to the entire Council of Thirteen, for keeping Homecoming up and running and still alive with updates.

Players can review the status of their support ticket by clicking the Support tab at the top of the forum pages. They can also opt in to receiving an email to the email address linked to their account. They can also review the status of their support ticket, with the status reflecting "Open" "Closed" "Resolved" etc.

 

3.thumb.jpg.4008eca816bb14bb835d396769c2b97c.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cipher said:

As of the time of this post, our GM team has closed over 40,000 tickets -- over 40 tickets per day since Homecoming started in April 2019. These are a mix of various forms of support, and reports against other players, and in every case a GM manually reviewed the ticket, replied, and took any necessary actions.

 

...

 

Yall don't get paid enough.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2021 at 3:25 PM, biostem said:

Per the code of content, "Sexual, provocative, pornographic, or adult content" is prohibited, so there is no need to add anything to the rules.  As others have pointed out, report the offender to the GMs and let them handle it.  You will NOT get any notification of the actions taken, so just keep that in mind.

so the offender is in violation as well as the sexual innuendo role players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some comments deserve a groan button.

 

Not disclosing/advertizing dicipline actions is how things were on live too.  And every other mmorpg Ive played for any length of time as well. 

 

So thats AO, Eve, EQ2, DAOC, UO, SWTOR.

 

It would be weird if they did the FPS mod actions chat scroll thing. 

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

so the offender is in violation as well as the sexual innuendo role players.

 

No.

 

While we don't have a - say - chat log or exact description of what happened, it sounds like the person described by the original poster is repeatedly making unwanted harassing comments.

 

People involved in ERP with their characters are ... well, basically having to follow the same rules as real life. Keep it consensual and private. In the bedroom, you, your partner, the trampoline and feathers are fine. In the train station, not so much. (And not just because it's kind of low to use the trampoline effectively.)

  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

 

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

 

No.

 

While we don't have a - say - chat log or exact description of what happened, it sounds like the person described by the original poster is repeatedly making unwanted harassing comments.

 

People involved in ERP with their characters are ... well, basically having to follow the same rules as real life. Keep it consensual and private. In the bedroom, you, your partner, the trampoline and feathers are fine. In the train station, not so much. (And not just because it's kind of low to use the trampoline effectively.)

I am not saying they are the same.  The ahole needs to go.  But rules someone posted said sexual related matters that aren't harassment are also against the rules.  Unless what you are suggesting is selective enforcement of rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I am not saying they are the same.  The ahole needs to go.  But rules someone posted said sexual related matters that aren't harassment are also against the rules.  Unless what you are suggesting is selective enforcement of rules.

 

No, it's a bit of common sense.  Unless you want to find either a bunch of mods to monitor chat 24/7 (or a bunch of bots that can and will make mistakes, and do so frequently,) have them monitor *private* chat and more.

 

Would you want to play that game?

 

How strict would you want them to be? Any mention of anything that could be remotely sexual? Would you like to have bots ban people (because it's the only real way to do it) for throwing a cigarette butt to the ground, because "butt" was what someone decided was a sexual-activity flag and it autobans, or someone with a WWII vet character talking about the Enola Gay, because gay also has a sexual preference meaning? Because that's the sort of thing that happens - and not always with 'bots. Hell, just look at our chat "censoring" through live and now. It's had some ... odd... choices.

 

Like I said. Same rules as real life. Consensual sexual activity with your partner in private? No, you don't want the government monitoring it. It's fine. Same activity in the middle of a restaurant? It gets... frowned on. At least in most.

  • Like 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

 

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 9:24 AM, Haijinx said:

Ive never had this happen to me on Everlasting.  Or Virtue for that matter.

 

Whether on a male, female or huge character model.  

 

I guess my costumes must not be thirst trappy enough.


Learn2Costume.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/26/2021 at 1:21 AM, Greycat said:

 

No, it's a bit of common sense.  Unless you want to find either a bunch of mods to monitor chat 24/7 (or a bunch of bots that can and will make mistakes, and do so frequently,) have them monitor *private* chat and more.

 

Would you want to play that game?

 

How strict would you want them to be? Any mention of anything that could be remotely sexual? Would you like to have bots ban people (because it's the only real way to do it) for throwing a cigarette butt to the ground, because "butt" was what someone decided was a sexual-activity flag and it autobans, or someone with a WWII vet character talking about the Enola Gay, because gay also has a sexual preference meaning? Because that's the sort of thing that happens - and not always with 'bots. Hell, just look at our chat "censoring" through live and now. It's had some ... odd... choices.

 

Like I said. Same rules as real life. Consensual sexual activity with your partner in private? No, you don't want the government monitoring it. It's fine. Same activity in the middle of a restaurant? It gets... frowned on. At least in most.

 

NSA Online or NSAO 

 

Soon in open beta! 

 

Spy on your neighbors, steal national secrets!  Reveal conspiracies uncover what really happened that night in Roswell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 10:25 AM, biostem said:

Per the code of content, "Sexual, provocative, pornographic, or adult content" is prohibited, so there is no need to add anything to the rules.  As others have pointed out, report the offender to the GMs and let them handle it.  You will NOT get any notification of the actions taken, so just keep that in mind.

Not disagreeing with this general sentiment or rule..but..

Silver Mantis says a big fat Hi, in a sexy voice, dripping with BDSM undertones.

I couldn't care less about how SM is written, it suits her character (I think) and works. But that IS also content written by the original devs and still currently in game.

Not excusing creeps or perves at all..but..someone explain how her dialogue is ok, cause it pretty much dings all of those terms.

To the OP'er..do you have Profanity filters on? I got a temp ban on Live for calling some a female dog, which means they must have had Profanity on to read it. Having it on, when it defaults to off..kinda lands at least some of the blame on you. Its like watching an R rated movie, then getting offended by swear words.

Edited by Razor Cure
  • Thumbs Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

Not disagreeing with this general sentiment or rule..but..

Silver Mantis says a big fat Hi, in a sexy voice, dripping with BDSM undertones.

I couldn't care less about how SM is written, it suits her character (I think) and works. But that IS also content written by the original devs and still currently in game.

Not excusing creeps or perves at all..but..someone explain how her dialogue is ok, cause it pretty much dings all of those terms.

To the OP'er..do you have Profanity filters on? I got a temp ban on Live for calling some a female dog, which means they must have had Profanity on to read it. Having it on, when it defaults to off..kinda lands at least some of the blame on you. Its like watching an R rated movie, then getting offended by swear words.


 

The reason it's okay is because it's CHARACTERIZATION.  It isn't harassment aimed at one ACTUAL person by another.

If you're looking for a game where everything's been bowdlerized and sanitized for everyone.  Might I suggest SOLITAIRE?

Sorry, but that sort of agenda-pushing is political and utterly unacceptable.

Every attempt is made to not expose children to overtly sexualized content and deviancy (notice the dropped storyline of Dominatrix boinking Tyrant).

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy there Hyper, Razer wasn't saying SM should be censored, just that it's weird that the rules say "don't do this" but then there are characters in the game who do "this".

 

And, I get it. An NPC acting that way is fine; amusing even. If a player kept moaning in team chat every time they got hurt? It'd get weird real quick.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...