Slash Command to Post/Claim Items on the AH

Monsoon

I propose slash commands to interface with the Auction House, along the lines of the Get All button on the Sold tab.  This would make it a decent amount easier to bulk post items like Enhancement Converters and common Salvage.  The auction interface would need to be open for these commands to work, and of course you would need to be in a zone that allows for AH use.  Syntax could be something like...

/ahpost "Item Name" quantity asking_price

/ahsell (alias for /ahpost)

/ahbid "Item Name" quantity offered_price

/ahbuy (alias for /ahbid)

/ahcancelpost "Item Name" quantity asking_price

/ahcancelsale (alias for /ahcancelpost)

/ahcancelbid "Item Name" quantity offered_price

/ahclaim "Item Name" quantity

/ahget (alias for /ahclaim)

Of course there would need to be some checks in place to keep people from spamming the commands and causing the AH system to slow down, and that functionality already exists when it comes to claiming the inf from several sold auctions with the Get All button.  There should also be a confirmation window (which could be disabled in settings) that shows what you're about to post before it's final.

Maybe even have the post/sell commands have the option to specify "all" instead of a quantity, which would put your whole stock of whatever item you're selling on the market (still in lots of 10 to reduce the changes that would potentially need to be made to the system).  So for example if I just converted 20 Reward Merits into Enhancement Converters I could open the AH interface and then run a macro that sends the command "/ahpost "Enhancement Converter" all 65000" which would then create six listings of 10 Enhancement Converters at 65k inf per Converter.

Of course, if the whole AH interface got an overhaul some of these commands would become redundant.

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

/ahpost "Item Name" quantity asking_price

/ahbid "Item Name" quantity offered_price

/ahcancelpost "Item Name" quantity asking_price

/ahcancelbid "Item Name" quantity offered_price

/ahclaim "Item Name" quantity

Much more convenient -- after all, all you need to do is memorize the game internal name for every single possible item you could sell or buy, so that you don't accidentally post or bid on the wrong item. It makes things easier in the same vein as my joke about the new DoD password policy -- a minimum of 37 characters, with two lowercase, two uppercase, two special symbols, two numbers, two characters from each of four different Unicode character sets, no doubled characters permitted, and it can't be a password previously used by anyone in the DoD going back to the start of the requirement.

And I'm assuming every one of these commands would have to perform the same check that the main AH window does, to see if you can even access the AH from where you are.  I'm all for "power users" getting more tools, but I just don't see this benefitting as many people as a new powerset or costume pieces...

5 hours ago, Monsoon said:

I propose slash commands to interface with the Auction House

I don't think that we need more commands to automate the game.

The game is there to be played.

Games are there to be played.

• Like 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Much more convenient -- after all, all you need to do is memorize the game internal name for every single possible item you could sell or buy, so that you don't accidentally post or bid on the wrong item. It makes things easier in the same vein as my joke about the new DoD password policy -- a minimum of 37 characters, with two lowercase, two uppercase, two special symbols, two numbers, two characters from each of four different Unicode character sets, no doubled characters permitted, and it can't be a password previously used by anyone in the DoD going back to the start of the requirement.

What's so hard to remember about "Enhancement Converter" or "Inanimate Carbon Rod"?  I suppose it would be somewhat more difficult to use that method to post recipes and enhancements, but those aren't usually the sort of thing you'd post in bulk.

23 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't think that we need more commands to automate the game.

The game is there to be played.

Games are there to be played.

This doesn't automate the game, unless you consider AH PvP to be a game in and of itself.

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

This doesn't automate the game, unless you consider AH PvP to be a game in and of itself.

It is automating part of the game.

Are you saying that the auction house isn't part of the game?

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

What's so hard to remember about "Enhancement Converter" or "Inanimate Carbon Rod"?  I suppose it would be somewhat more difficult to use that method to post recipes and enhancements, but those aren't usually the sort of thing you'd post in bulk.

Some of the things you'd think would be blindingly obvious to post actually have other names internally - maybe from a last minute rename or something. (See slow/snare....)

I could see /ahget, maybe, but given even from your original post you're saying "the auction house interface would have to be open," I'm ... kind of not seeing an advantage, really. Plus, given some of the items also have levels, on top of quantity and price, I could see some serious mistakes being made that are a little easier to parse when you have the AH interface. 

A more limited set of functions I could probably see, and they've kind of been requested before. /ahsell salvage common all 10, for instance, to just dump all your common salvage on the AH at 10 inf to clear out inventory.  And yes, that could be macro'd I suppose, but I don't particularly see harm in that.

I just think the execution of what you're describing could be problematic (and cause more headaches with support tickets)  if you got more detailed.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

It is automating part of the game.

Are you saying that the auction house isn't part of the game?

I'm sorry, but the OP's right -  this is a kind of weak argument against. It's like saying /em sit instead of going through the menu to pick a sit emote is "automating part of the game." It's not macroing multiple attacks or playing the game without someone there. They'd still be there typing in the commands (or hitting a macro key if there's something specific they'd do frequently, like the /ahsell salvage common thing I suggested above.) So, yes, they'd still be "playing the game."

We already have slash command alternatives to quite a few common actions, from opening specific windows to chatting to yes, firing off, toggling and detoggling powers. Unless you're trying to suggest that those are also "automating" the game, you'll have to explain exactly how you think these commands would be any different.

I'd also suggest looking through the current slash commands list. I see similar commands on there, like /architect_claim_tickets # (to automatically claim a number of architect tickets,) /dialoganswer (yes/no) - another text (and macro-able) option instead of clicking, quite a bit of SG management that doesn't need you to open the interface and more. Nothing besides the target (the auction house) of what the OP's asking for is new in concept.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

10 hours ago, Monsoon said:

If you're only asking for this for the bulk-post/buy items, that's one thing, but can you tell me off the top of your head precisely which in the set "Positrons_Blast_C" is, and what the additional modifiers to the base name are for specifying whether it's a recipe or a crafted IO, and what level it is, and whether it is attuned? If you were in the game back on Live, and used the Sentinel+ program to archive your characters against the chance of restoring them, you'd see that the enhancement and its level occupy separate fields -- which makes parsing "item name" more complex, with the names being largely opaque to the user, all for the perceived benefit to you of being able to rapidly dump stuff into the AH.

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

If you're only asking for this for the bulk-post/buy items, that's one thing, but can you tell me off the top of your head precisely which in the set "Positrons_Blast_C" is, and what the additional modifiers to the base name are for specifying whether it's a recipe or a crafted IO, and what level it is, and whether it is attuned? If you were in the game back on Live, and used the Sentinel+ program to archive your characters against the chance of restoring them, you'd see that the enhancement and its level occupy separate fields -- which makes parsing "item name" more complex, with the names being largely opaque to the user, all for the perceived benefit to you of being able to rapidly dump stuff into the AH.

I couldn't tell you the internal name of the IO/recipe off the top of my head, no.  But I'm not talking about some arcane internal name that's not readily available to the players.  I'm talking about the name displayed on the item, which you would be able to see if you have one to sell or which you would have if you were looking to buy some for a build.  In the former case, you only have one so the drag-and-drop method we currently have would be as fast (maybe faster) than typing out a full command.  In the latter case, Mids' (or whatever build planner) could be updated to generate the appropriate slash commands for you so it's just a matter of copy/paste.  It could also be possible to have the system set up to recognize common abbreviations, e.g. "LotG" instead of "Luck of the Gambler" to reduce the amount of typing needed for some of those really long names.

Differentiating between IO and recipe as well as level could be done something like "Type.Level.Name" so for example "/ahpost "recipe.40.Positron's Blast: Damage/Recharge" 1 2500000" to post a single level 40 recipe for Positron's Blast: Damage/Recharge at 2.5M inf.  Level 0 could be used to specify an Attuned Enhancement.

Also I'm not talking about replacing the AH interface with a complicated series of slash commands.  Drag and drop would still be the better way to handle one-off stuff, but if you're looking to dump all your Common/Uncommon Salvage in a hurry you could have a series of keybind files that cycles through them all.  Or if you frequently play converter roulette to turn crap into big-ticket items like LotG +7.5% Recharge or Numina's +Regen/Recovery you would have a bind to plop those on the market.

29 minutes ago, arcane said:

I don’t understand what this makes easier or more efficient.

The oft-suggested proposed converter window changes, on the other hand..

Scenario 1: I have roughly 100 various Common Salvage items in my inventory and I need to make room for Rares.  I don't want to just sell them to a vendor because that doesn't benefit anyone.

Current solution: Drag and drop each item onto the AH one at a time, specify the quantity to drop, repeat if posting more than one.  Specify my asking price (I use 278 inf since after the AH cut that would get me at least as much from the transaction as I would get if I sold them to an NPC vendor) and spam the Post button.  Repeat this every time I need to dump salvage.

Potential solution with the /ahpost command:  Create a series of keybind files that post the Common Salvage at my asking price (especially useful if we can specify All for the quantity), then just spam the key specified until I've posted everything I want to dump.  Once the keybind files are set up, I don't have to do that every time I want to dump my Common Salvage onto the market.

Scenario 2: I want to buy a bunch of Common Salvage to craft some IO's for a character that's leveling up and that doesn't have a tricked out IO set build planned.  Thanks to a spreadsheet I use, I know how many of each Salvage I need to buy.

Current solution: Copy/paste the Salvage name and quantity from my spreadsheet, make sure my offering price is correct before submitting the bid.

Potential solution with the /ahbuy command: Update my spreadsheet to automatically generate the /ahbuy command for the Salvage I'm looking for, then copy/paste that command for each.  Perhaps not a huge savings in time/effort over the previous method, but still slightly faster and again once the work of updating the spreadsheet is done I don't have to do it again the next time I want to buy a bunch of Common Salvage.

• Thumbs Down 1

1. Slash commands don't automate anything. With few exceptions, they bypass menu/UI inputs and add some deeper-level commands. Automation was strictly and intensively designed out of the whole macro/bind/UI system from day one.

2. I would thumbs-down on this. As others noted, Dev time spent on this feature of interest/use only to a small set of power gamer/market gamer is not time well spent on the overall community needs. The AH is not a difficult interface to use and (especially with a bind/macro to pop it and the junk windows up and down) and it would involve knowing thousands of items names — exactly, no typoes. So it would be more for a very small set to snipe or dump small sets of high-value items, and not much else. Just not a useful direction. IMVHO.

3. We need a Thanksgiving event. That is all.
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

But I'm not talking about some arcane internal name that's not readily available to the players...

As far as I know, there is currently no other way of referencing an auction house commodity as a slash command parameter other than by internal name. In addition to coding the slash commands themselves, this proposal would likely require the devs to create an alias system to allow reference by some name other than the internal name of the commodity. I have no idea the amount of work that might entail, but I suspect that if it were easily done, it would have been considered and/or implemented already for use with the various /boost commands on beta that grant enhancements for testing builds.

In the scenario where the devs say "We'll provide the slash commands, but the commands must use the internal names", then someone (either the devs or the playerbase) would need to compile a dataset that relates the internal name to the common name of each commodity. I've done that for the commodities (enhancements) available in the freebies menu on beta, and it was a non-trivial task that involved mining the leaked game data as well as data mining either in-game or from the devs themselves for commodities that were added post-shutdown. That was followed by a healthy dose of verifying that the data I mined was correct. Compiling (and verifying) such a dataset for all possible auction house commodities would not be an impossible hurdle, but it would be a hurdle nonetheless. Then there's the task of making said dataset readily available to the playerbase, in a format that is easy to understand and use, which would be another non-trivial hurdle.

I don't intend this post to discourage the proposal, but from my perspective there seem to be some challenges to its implementation. Whether or not those challenges outweigh the potential benefits is a question I can't answer.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Greycat said:

I'm sorry, but the OP's right -  this is a kind of weak argument against. It's like saying /em sit instead of going through the menu to pick a sit emote is "automating part of the game."

I do see it as the equivalent of being able to set our character on "attack only minions not more than +1" with a marco to that follows an power execution sequence.

I also see DEVs taking time to create macros that would do this to be a waste of their time.

That's my call and my opinion.

I don't feel it to be weak at all. I didn't feel like I needed to go into any greater detail.

The game always had /e or /em, as you say, as a macro for emotes, so I don't see that as any kind of valid counterpoint.

So maybe I'll put it another way.

I'm an EBIL marketeer. You really don't want to make it easier for me to utilize the market.

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

• Thumbs Down 1

With great power comes 1 or 2 people who will use it to quickly buy things cheap to turn them for a profit.  Im at a bad enough disadvantage to them at normal speed.

Edit :  wow posted at almost the same time with the same point.  Ya,  dont let @UltraAlt destroy me any easier at the market.

Edited by TheZag
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheZag said:

With great power comes 1 or 2 people who will use it to quickly buy things cheap to turn them for a profit.  Im at a bad enough disadvantage to them at normal speed.

Edit :  wow posted at almost the same time with the same point.  Ya,  dont let @UltraAlt destroy me any easier at the market.

[Tell] The Consignment House is too busy to process your request. Please try again in a few moments.
[Tell] The Consignment House is too busy to process your request. Please try again in a few moments.

.... repeats a bunch more times.

One character. Just now.

It can't keep up with the "get all Inf" as it is.

The market can't keep up with more than around 30 things at one time.

I don't complain about it. I'm not complaining about it.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of my marketing.

I'm just trying to say that "I" don't think it need to be automated. 

As someone said something like it before :: 

Don't make me "automated". You wouldn't like me when I'm "automated"

angry-dont-make-me-angry.gif

hulk-eyes-bruce-banner.gif

EMILY_TRAMPOLINE_CS_11182016_0042_V1-3.j

tumblr_ovzdvuy6c01wzvt9qo1_500.gif

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Of course, if the whole AH interface got an overhaul some of these commands would become redundant.

This could be the better use of dev time to clean up some of what doesn't work correctly. 

The black market needs to support experienced players as well as new ones.

Allowing more than 10 items at a time to be interacted with could be counter productive as would the ability to interact with the same amount faster. Just sayin.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The real solution, of course, is a spinoff: City of Day Traders.

Imagine all the fun you'll have watching up to six customizable commodity tickers!

$$$-gank newbs who believe your fanciful tales about how dead-end items are the next hot thing!

Social-RP around the virtual water cooler, hinting obnoxiously about how you just made millions being on top of a brief market bubble!

Spend countless hours writing macro code to beat your competitors to the punch at reboot! (Even though it's not "automation!")

Hear the gasps when Lord Artythuhdeal VC-bombs the market with Credit Mobilier credits sneakily converted from Ponzi tokens!

And, of course, multi-box your way to the prized Insider Trading accolade!

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Haha 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

image.gif.c8cbdd3ab052e1e46beb4586b603b5d4.gif

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

13 hours ago, Greycat said:

Some of the things you'd think would be blindingly obvious to post actually have other names internally - maybe from a last minute rename or something. (See slow/snare....)

This is probably the make/break point of it TBH. That and you'd probably spend More time typing all that in, looking it up, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

31 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Also, I’m pretty sure I’ll be dead and gone before Homecoming makes reprogramming the /AH a priority.

... but  your ghost will still be sending emails with 20 Mil influence to any other ghost that send you an email asking for it!

• Haha 1