Don't mezz me bro. Gimme gimme.

Troo

6 minutes ago, Hardship said:

I always thought that "mez" was just short for "mesmerize" and covered everything from charmed, held, sleeped (or slept?), stunned, dazed, confused, etc...

Hold, Sleep, and Disorient (also called Stun) are mezzes. Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Repel, Knockback/Up, Immobilize, NoPhase, Invulnerable (after Teleporting), and Dimension Shift are not if I'm reading the wiki right. 

What about the defeated status, when all HP is depleted? Is that its own unique status effect?

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 minutes ago, Hardship said:

I always thought that "mez" was just short for "mesmerize" and covered everything from charmed, held, sleeped (or slept?), stunned, dazed, confused, etc...

^this is always the way I've understood it.

It's also what pops up if you search the hcwiki.

Edit:  Wowsa ninja'd to heck and gone.

Blue bar ... hmm because that's what color you turn if you run out.

Edited by Doomguide2005

10 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No, worse than that.

After they get PL'd to 50, after they get the perfect Alpha-God build from the forums, then they play a little while and then come to the forums and post "This game is too easy, brah! Nerf players! Nerf softcap! Nerf IOs. Nerf whateverelseIthinkistheproblem!"

You think that's new players complaining how cakewalk-easy the game's gotten, huh...

• Like 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

Why is the END bar blue?  Seriously, who decided THAT was the appropriate color for Endurance?

Blame mana.

Besides, it's hard to put a bar like that in paisley.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

12 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No, worse than that.

After they get PL'd to 50, after they get the perfect Alpha-God build from the forums, then they play a little while and then come to the forums and post "This game is too easy, brah! Nerf players! Nerf softcap! Nerf IOs. Nerf whateverelseIthinkistheproblem!"

The new harder mode should thin the herd quickly.  Might be fun to watch!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

After they get PL'd to 50, after they get the perfect Alpha-God build from the forums, then they play a little while

My two favourite examples of "follow a guide with zero context" are both from brutes. I have nothing against brutes (apart from their Threat multiplier - should be equal to scrappers, not tankers) and enjoy a brute myself on occasion, but they're a deceptively unfriendly first choice as they can survive and do damage with fairly random button mashing. In other words, to be okay at being a brute, you don't exactly have to engage with the game on a mechanical level. They cover a multitude of sins. 

Two fire farmers, both alike in build.

The first, answered a call on the LFG to his first actual missions. We were in RWZ, which is a well made zone with varied missions in the story arcs. His response, after about half an hour was "Wow, this game is actually really fun, I've just been farming my way to 50 because that's what someone said I should do". 

The second, just me and he versus Manticore. The incarnate one where he incarnate shifts and goes up a level every now and again. I couldn't out-aggro the fire brute, who couldn't survive the attacks. At one point, I went and answered the door with my character on autoattack to find my fortunado stabbing away happily and the fire brute holding floor aggro. Luckily, he thought the whole thing was hilarious. 

Edited by Gulbasaur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

slightly off topic, but @tidge, The Police has been my playlist the past few days while playing. 😃

...and on another different note...

Just because we could, it doesn't mean we should. I've gone a different direction in game play. I like the gimped toons. some toons pick only powers that the theme or concept allows (lizard toon with only Poison's spitting powers, or an AR toon with only "realistic" powers--semi/full auto or shotgun, choose one, can't have both, and no flamethrower). A handful of toons only train until level 10 then go about the game with only 7 power picks and limited slots. Another handful don't even train at all. They're stuck with only T1 or T2 primary, T1 secondary, brawl, origin prestige power and sprint/slide. No Rest, just health and stamina. All with only one slot each. And the P2W lady and I aren't on speaking terms. That or (still) trying to get to 50 without dying once.

I don't mind Meta Alpha Gods as long as they don't try to shove theirs down my throat. then again, maybe that's why I mostly solo these days.

• Like 2

Well, to be perfectly honest...we farm them to be this way. Promoting double xp that prohibits influence earning. Advertising for low levels to come fill the teams in farms. Build advice that's heavily slanted toward expensive enhancements instead of leveling.  It's a 'have it all in a few minutes' society for the most part.

Anyway, that's how I've seen it in the two months since I've been back and...it really hasn't changed all that much since live really.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Squeegle said:

Advertising for low levels to come fill the teams in farms. 

This is what I don't get, you solo farm at 4x8 and you reap the rewards. You pack a full team and the rewards go away, I just don't get it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

1 hour ago, The_Warpact said:

You pack a full team and the rewards go away, I just don't get it. 

I imagine they are either just trying to be helpful or like having people see how OP they are in a mission tailored to their abilities. I enjoy farming occasionally but both of my farmers are built to be able to do normal game play and were leveled the old fashioned way. I never search for door sitters but if asked will allow them to join me if that's their wish. To each their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Free Dominguez and Bruce Somers.

Close the thread.

It has been won.

You are officially the first person I've ever seen/heard mention Kidney Thieves in a conversation without me having previously introduced them to the band.

Edited by InvaderStych
phrasing
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 hours ago, Luminara said:

Free Dominguez and Bruce Somers.

... which my mind jumps to saying "Free Dominguez with Any Purchase."

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Marine X said:

I imagine they are either just trying to be helpful or like having people see how OP they are in a mission tailored to their abilities.

Or just like having people around to BS with. *shrugs* I've heard the equivalent of "I'm farming, looking for people to chat with while getting levels" a number of times.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Marine X said:

like having people see how OP they are in a mission tailored to their abilities

^ this

the new one is

"streaming AE farm, 2 spots" 

note: some folks are trooly being helpful

5 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

Troo and silly/non-sensical threads, name a better duo.

such high praise. appreciated.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

12 hours ago, Greycat said:

You think that's new players complaining how cakewalk-easy the game's gotten, huh...

No, you're probably right. It's almost certainly long time players who are complaining about the game being too easy after they've gotten their characters to tier 4 incarnate with all +5 purple set IOs.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

No, you're probably right. It's almost certainly long time players who are complaining about the game being too easy after they've gotten their characters to tier 4 incarnate with all +5 purple set IOs.

The game presently allows you to achieve this level of power, but to what purpose?  Those of us (including me- and I only started playing CoH when Homecoming came online) asking for more challenging content simply want content that is fun in relation to playing characters at the level of power that the game allows us to achieve.  Presently, the standard content for a group of characters of this level of power is simply too easy, and therefore boring.

Offering such content will not make the other, lower power/level content go away.  Nor will it prevent players from playing without incarnate abilities or +5 purple set IO's, if that is what they desire, or forming groups of such characters, if that is what they prefer.  Nor does it prevent the Devs from adding more content or features that support non-incarnate level play (even though the game already has plenty of that sort of content, and basically nothing that really challenges groups of high-tier, tricked out, incarnates).

I don't see this as unreasonable, or why other players are threatened/offended by what seems to be a reasonable/logical request.

The only other way to go is to remove incarnate powers and IO sets from the game.  This would make content reasonably challenging for people at all levels, I think.  As long as such things exits, however, people naturally enjoy tricking out their characters with all the bells and whistles available to them (I now that I certainly do).  It's just that we want group content that is fun to play when your team is sporting all of those bells and whistles.

• Like 2

I enjoy thinking up new ways to play the low end game so its still challenging. Right now I'm playing a defender that doesn't heal self and PLUS I turned off green inspiration drops. If you think everyone is crying to make it easier, I'm trying to make it harder. So your original point is ....ah, whatever. Doesn't sync with my world view.

• Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

1 hour ago, Cancrusher said:

The game presently allows you to achieve this level of power, but to what purpose?

Because this is a super hero game and people want to be SUPER.

Those of us (including me- and I only started playing CoH when Homecoming came online) asking for more challenging content simply want content that is fun in relation to playing characters at the level of power that the game allows us to achieve.

Agreed. And the developers know this too which is why the new "Challenge Mode", or whatever it's being called, is going to be hitting the live servers in a few days.

Offering such content will not make the other, lower power/level content go away.

That was never the problem. The problem was the people spamming the forums with threads about how they wanted the entire game to become more challenging. A lot of us do not want the game to become more challenging for our low level, or non-optimized, characters simply because the game is too easy for IO'd out incarnates.

The soon to be released Challenge Mode fixes the problem of the game being too easy for incarnates without wreaking the game for characters who aren't at that level yet. This was an incredibly good idea on the devs' part and I'm glad that they were able to add it to the game.

Once it goes live though I'll just be waiting for the new threads demanding that Challenge Mode be set as the default mode for the entire game. You know it'll happen. I've already got money bet on it.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

54 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

My dearest hope is that Old School Challenge becomes popularized. That + the new higher difficulty settings might be the groovy.

The only other way to go is to remove incarnate powers and IO sets from the game.  This would make content reasonably challenging for people at all levels, I think.  As long as such things exits, however, people naturally enjoy tricking out their characters with all the bells and whistles available to them (I now that I certainly do).  It's just that we want group content that is fun to play when your team is sporting all of those bells and whistles.

Likely it'll be as popular as the other legacy oro content.  It'll be a tad more popular for a run or two for some to get the badge and that's about it because of the sentiment of @Cancrusher here and a lot of other people I'd venture to guess since a big draw to the game is the technical specs provided to you through the IO system which you get no access to for the "Old School" strike force.