The Devs are making sure it's the most wonderful time...

Black Talon

Pretty much every season - and day, really - indicate that the CoH stewardship could not have been passed on to a more caring, insightful and imaginative group of people.  I signed on this morning, ready to start my Invul/SS Tanker on the long, long road to 42, and ended up in the middle of a snowfall in Atlas Park.  Yes, it helped that the setting was at night, but I just got such a wonderful feeling that this was a place for heroes to be, and that the unseen virtual families will be that much safer and happier with our lot running around, cleaning house in a remarkably bloodless fashion.  I cannot thank the Devs enough for having inserted this timely little bit of atmosphere into the game...sure, it's something we only really get to appreciate when flying or leaping around the city - it's kind of tough to appreciate environmental ambiance when giving Skulls what for - but this little bit of seasonal input just lets Paragon City feel that much more real and homelike.  All thanks, and looking forward to Frosty, possessed by the CoTs' Envoy of Shadow, showing up with blood red eyes and shark-teeth and proclaiming, "Bumbles bounce!" before bringing the devastation of Hellfire down the city's chimneys.  Ah, to build a snowman outside Atlas Park City Hall...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 9

From the title, especially the ellipsis at the end, I was expecting an ironic or passive-aggressive complaint to "the devs" against some small decision taken in the latest patch.

Then I read your post.

I am pleased to be wrong.

Please proceed with your contagious enthusiasm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Black Talon said:

Pretty much every season - and day, really - indicate that the CoH stewardship could not have been passed on to a more caring, insightful and imaginative group of people.

I agree. And it's a good thing when people make posts like this for the devs to see. So thank you for that.

What?

Get off my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

One of my favorite memories of this game was jumping rooftops in Steel Canyon opening presents late Xmas eve, early Xmas morning in around 2007ish I think. I was close to getting my first back surgery which would let me get my life back together. My family was mostly healthy and happy. Life was just good, so hopping around at 2am was just icing on the cake.

So when the first Xmas event started on Homecoming, and I was able to do that all over again over a decade later, I'll always owe an unpayable to debt to the folks running this game now for letting me embrace that memory once again.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, Black Talon said:

Pretty much every season - and day, really - indicate that the CoH stewardship could not have been passed on to a more caring, insightful and imaginative group of people. 

I realize that for obvious reasons we can't pay them, but where do we send the Hickory Farms gift baskets?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I realize that for obvious reasons we can't pay them, but where do we send the Hickory Farms gift baskets?

Fair point, Techwright!  Such a gesture would be, I think, in the category of the least we could do.  I recall that, in the shadow of the oncoming shutdown, the CoX Devs at Cryptic Studio were festooned with gifts to indicate the population's loyalty and fervor.  Maybe something similar could be arranged through this venue - do a bit of a CoHHC kickstarter at the opening of December, and then - just throwing this out - have a designated representative come to the HC team and say, "Okay, what duz youze want fer Xmas?"  I don't think anything totally crazy would be either called for or appropriate; just some stuff like a box of Turtles, some commercially-available toy collections or Cthulhu plushies (nothing says "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!" like the specter of reality-ending insanity in huggable form).

In any event, it's something that the gang here could, arguably, put together.  Looking forward to learning what the Our Gang's input is on this casual suggestion...

• Thanks 1

Maybe an Amazon wishlist? Can those be anonymous?

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I fear that gifts are often used as way to get around having received monetary gain when someone isn't supposed to be getting monetary gains for one reason or another.

The idea is heartfelt, and I'm not trying to be a downer, but the DEV team have indicated that they know that they are in precarious situation. 

Perhaps pictures of your well wishes may be the best route in our current situation.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Black Talon said:

I recall that, in the shadow of the oncoming shutdown, the CoX Devs at Cryptic Studio were festooned with gifts to indicate the population's loyalty and fervor.  Maybe something similar could be arranged through this venue -

The logistical difference is that Paragon Studios had a physical location while I'm pretty sure the Homecoming staff are spread out across thousands of miles.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, UltraAlt said:

I fear that gifts are often used as way to get around having received monetary gain when someone isn't supposed to be getting monetary gains for one reason or another.

The idea is heartfelt, and I'm not trying to be a downer, but the DEV team have indicated that they know that they are in precarious situation. 

Perhaps pictures of your well wishes may be the best route in our current situation.

On point, they can't risk it, that is why whenever able I bombard some with not so witty gifs and memes to the point they must loathe receiving anything from players by now.

• Haha 2

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

On 11/30/2021 at 10:00 AM, Aeroprism said:

From the title, especially the ellipsis at the end, I was expecting an ironic or passive-aggressive complaint to "the devs" against some small decision taken in the latest patch.

Then I read your post.

Oh sure, it all easy for you guys to gush over all this snow, but that;s because you don't have to drive in it. 

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

you don't have to drive in it

Yeah, my friend drives a Paragon city bus and he's been stuck in the snow for 17 years now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

33 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Yeah, my friend drives a Paragon city bus and he's been stuck in the snow for 17 years now!

Did they try /stuck?

• Haha 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:41 PM, Black Talon said:

(nothing says "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!" like the specter of reality-ending insanity in huggable form)

You should take a look at the CDs of Solstice carols produced by the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society -- "A Very Scary Solstice" and "An even Scarier Solstice". You should be able to find most of the individual songs on YouTube -- "Death to the World", "Awake, Ye Scary Great Old Ones", and others.

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

You should take a look at the CDs of Solstice carols produced by the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society -- "A Very Scary Solstice" and "An even Scarier Solstice". You should be able to find most of the individual songs on YouTube -- "Death to the World", "Awake, Ye Scary Great Old Ones", and others.

Not a 'holiday' song, but you really have to add Tom Waits' "And the Earth Died Screaming" in there. And maybe "Hell Broke Luce."

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 11/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, Aeroprism said:

Then I read your post.

My experiences with Homecoming, the Devs and most of the players is great! Finding this last year was such a nice thing for me and I am happy at how well the game is maintained. For being free the service is premium ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1