P2W Vendor: Level 50 Ticket (Cost: 20 Million Influence)

On 12/1/2021 at 11:55 PM, Take One said:

How about tokens to start at level 10, 20 or even 30? The first 20 levels take so little time but can be tedious to solo through, a token to bypass them don't seem like an unreasonable request. If I could sometimes hop straight to level 10, 20 or 30 I might do that, rather than go bother a farmer to join them for 20 minutes.

giving up something up that a player has already done is kinda flipping the skipping levels around.

flat skipping levels is likely a nonstarter. but having earned something could be more acceptable.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:54 AM, Aurora_Girl said:

/jranger

We've. Gone. Over. This. Before. 

Seconding the 2,000,000,001 inf price tag. 

1. using /jr, and then to keep going is misuse of /jr.
    1. at best it's /jr light. ( hey look you coined a new term /jrangerlt )
    2. please see post above from @PeregrineFalcon
  2. going over a topic before in no way precludes future discussion
    1. there are folks who may not have participated previously
    2. folks could feel free to link to previous discussions (possible rehash saving)
      1. https://web.archive.org/web/20121025190452/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/search.php

On 12/1/2021 at 2:32 PM, Oklahoman said:

< dead horse pic >

awesome 

definitely lower the performance expectations of all horses.. definitely.

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, Akisan said:

powerset mastery badges (like getting an Electric/ to 50 in each AT)

interesting.. some power sets are more prolific than others. how would that be addressed?

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

12 minutes ago, Troo said:

interesting.. some power sets are more prolific than others. how would that be addressed?

It's already easy enough to PL to 50 in AE so a requirement of a certain set in each AT isn't all that difficult or time consuming to accomplish. People can do this without ever really playing the characters too.  It's why I suggested that a token be an unlock achieved by certain badges that you get by playing the game.  Then at least you know the person is familiar with the AT they're playing.

18 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Then at least you know the person is familiar with the AT they're playing.

I see what you're saying. Being experienced to some extent does seem to be a key expectation separating the 'free levels' from the 'earn it' concepts.

Looking ahead/summarizing

"Free levels" vs "No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Free levels if you got to 50" vs "No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Free levels if you got to 50x10" vs "Seriously?! No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Alternate Idea" vs "That's dumb, why not just play"

"Better Alternate Idea" vs "Why not just play, but whatever"

"Compromised Better Alternate Idea" vs "Why not just play, but I'll try it"

Rarely do any of us get absolutely everything we want.

Edited by Troo
Ive said what I had to say on this topic
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shadeknight said:

Better idea: You can only get 1 free 50 by getting to 1500 badges.

Joking aside why would you want to include badges like Day Jobs and such that you can get without ever really playing?  Anti-insta 50 folk seem to have a problem with people instantly having a character they don't know how to play.  If there's a badge requirement, it should be for badges you need to get by actually doing something behind the keyboard.

26 minutes ago, Troo said:

@Greycat's suggestion, for reference:

For the time being, certain sets could simply be easier to Retcon into.  As power themes are proliferated, and more ATs have access, this would even out.

35 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

It's already easy enough to PL to 50 in AE so a requirement of a certain set in each AT isn't all that difficult or time consuming to accomplish. People can do this without ever really playing the characters too. 

And therein lies the issue.  We seem to be very divided over whether or not it's OK for people to be PL'd in AE at all, so forget just handing out free levels.  Personally, I grudgingly tolerate it under the benefit of the doubt:  It's possible that someone had that combination on Live and want to play it at upper levels again, without having to grind to 50 twice.  As far as farming up a new character?  It's rather unlikely the player would know the build's strengths and weaknesses to any competent level (and hence, would be an AE Baby).  I strongly believe that part of the leveling process is learning what, exactly, makes a powerset combination unique, and how to best use that is what makes a build great.  (For the record, I'm also against the XP boosters, especially past level 35, when you should be figuring out how to overcome your build's weaknesses, then doing so with the Epic pools).

Which is why my post earlier is less "level something to 50" and more of a very, very specialized respec - which is already a very special form of free levels (you don't have to delete and level the character again just to repick powers)

24 minutes ago, Akisan said:

And therein lies the issue.  We seem to be very divided over whether or not it's OK for people to be PL'd in AE at all, so forget just handing out free levels.  Personally, I grudgingly tolerate it under the benefit of the doubt:  It's possible that someone had that combination on Live and want to play it at upper levels again, without having to grind to 50 twice.  As far as farming up a new character?  It's rather unlikely the player would know the build's strengths and weaknesses to any competent level (and hence, would be an AE Baby).  I strongly believe that part of the leveling process is learning what, exactly, makes a powerset combination unique, and how to best use that is what makes a build great.  (For the record, I'm also against the XP boosters, especially past level 35, when you should be figuring out how to overcome your build's weaknesses, then doing so with the Epic pools).

I don't care much whether people PL to 50 or not as it doesn't affect me all that much.  I get that it upsets others and there's nothing wrong with that, people get upset over all kinds of things.  As far as people know how to play a particular combo, that's dependent on the individual really.  Some folks are really good at specific ATs so much so that they can pick up and play any combo and they're great at it.  Others, not so much.  Some of the arguments made in threads like this are double edged swords too.  like people saying if you can make an instant 50, you'll get bored and leave.  while sure that can be true, there's also people who will get bored and leave because leveling up the traditional way running the same content gets old too.  

7 hours ago, Aurora_Girl said:

*gestures broadly*

...and that's just what I found searching for "token". This has been cussed and discussed so many times already.

this-thread-just-wont-die.jpg.aee82c995b1f2501a354fb7aeb45971e.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megawatt said:

'i can make 100 million in 15 minutes' crowed needs to maybe realize they aren't the average player and the 'grudgeingly tolerate other people PLing to 50' crowed ? fine dont PL your self to 50, how in any way is it effecting you ?

It’s possible to have an opinion on the value of a game design decision without having a personal stake in the matter beyond just wanting to play a well designed game. The “Don’t like it? Don’t partake” argument is illogical/nonsensical.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

...and that's just what I found searching for "token". This has been cussed and discussed so many times already.

6 hours ago, Troo said:

going over a topic before in no way precludes future discussion

1. there are folks who may not have participated previously
  2. folks could feel free to link to previous discussions (possible rehash saving)
    1. https://web.archive.org/web/20121025190452/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/search.php

^ That

• Thumbs Up 1

@Oklahoman my regards. I appreciate the searchfu. 

@Excraft: as I was saying...

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

5 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Joking aside why would you want to include badges like Day Jobs and such that you can get without ever really playing?  Anti-insta 50 folk seem to have a problem with people instantly having a character they don't know how to play.  If there's a badge requirement, it should be for badges you need to get by actually doing something behind the keyboard.

I was mostly shitposting. I disagree with a Level 50 Ticket.

However, on the latter requirement that's...tough to gauge. You can get tough badges by AFKing or getting carried. Could try the damage done (or taken) badges, but I have a feeling someone would find a way to cheese those. Defeat badges, maybe? Hmn.

unknown.png

alright buddy, it's time to shit yourself
casts earthquake, activates dispersion bubble

6 hours ago, ZacKing said:

As far as people know how to play a particular combo, that's dependent on the individual really.  Some folks are really good at specific ATs so much so that they can pick up and play any combo and they're great at it.  Others, not so much.

This is very true, and some of it just comes down to preferred playstyle.  I know a couple of people who (back before CoV) rolled tanks instead of scrappers so that they could scrapperlock even harder (they usually roll brutes these days, works much better).  My issue with it isn't that some people play badly (they're at least playing), it's that they very often grab a build they don't understand, or skip good powers because they don't look that great on paper, usually through not noticing that a power is AoE (had someone miss that about Dark Regeneration, so they skipped their heal thinking it was too weak to bother with).

6 hours ago, ZacKing said:

... like people saying if you can make an instant 50, you'll get bored and leave.  while sure that can be true, there's also people who will get bored and leave because leveling up the traditional way running the same content gets old too

Which always struck me as funny.  While there may be less to do at any given level prior to 50, there's still so much content pre-50 that you could probably run 4-5 toons through it, without repeating anything even without the xp boosters.  You'd still have to run a lot of the same missions for Accolades, but you'd need to run those anyways even with a skip to 50.

Even if you repeat content across toons, I find that different ATs/Powersets can have some very different interactions with enemy factions.  My Sword/Shield scrapper hates CoT because of all the ghosts, but my Shield/Elec tank can just walk through with no issues whatsoever.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, Oklahoman said:

Maybe the act of leveling from 49->50 should come with a required ingame test of some kind. 🙂

I would sooo support this. A skill based final level.. maybe you were joking and it's only me that would like this.

Thanks for the links.

AND.. It is interesting that the devs have discussed the topic.

Edited by Troo
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Troo said:

I see what you're saying. Being experienced to some extent does seem to be a key expectation separating the 'free levels' from the 'earn it' concepts.

Looking ahead/summarizing

"Free levels" vs "No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Free levels if you got to 50" vs "No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Free levels if you got to 50x10" vs "Seriously?! No way, that's dumb, just play"

"Alternate Idea" vs "That's dumb, why not just play"

"Better Alternate Idea" vs "Why not just play, but whatever"

"Compromised Better Alternate Idea" vs "Why not just play, but I'll try it"

Rarely do any of us get absolutely everything we want.

The idea would be a lot more palatable if suddenly there was say $5000.00 in us cash in my hand.

• Haha 2

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

15 hours ago, Shadeknight said:

However, on the latter requirement that's...tough to gauge. You can get tough badges by AFKing or getting carried. Could try the damage done (or taken) badges, but I have a feeling someone would find a way to cheese those. Defeat badges, maybe? Hmn.

Defeat badges can be snagged by defeats from others on the team.  But to be fair, I can't see people cheating these all that much just to unlock a level 50 token when it's easier to just farm it up in the AE.

6 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

The idea would be a lot more palatable if suddenly there was say $5000.00 in us cash in my hand.

how about a royalty?

3 hours ago, Excraft said:

So you are speaking for everyone then?  Pretty sure you don't.....

Are you just actively turning off reading comprehension or something?

The community and the devs and the GMs have gone. Over. This. Before. As Oklahoman wisely and succinctly showed you. It's a non-suggestion for insta-50s for a myriad of reasons. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

4 hours ago, Excraft said:

So you are speaking for everyone then?  Pretty sure you don't.....

Speaks for an awful lot of people tho. You seem to want a pure sandbox more than a game with any semblance of obstacles, etc. (I know, we’ve already bulldozed most of them anyway). Have you considered playing on Brainstorm or  Cake or whatever?

In 2004-2005, my first 50’s took me hundreds of hours. Now they take 2 hours. Imagine thinking it hasn’t gotten easy enough.

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, arcane said:

You seem to want a pure sandbox more than a game with any semblance of obstacles, etc.

That needs a frame.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

7 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

That needs a frame.

You just deleted the surrounding context that acknowledges the issues with that statement. Bit obvious don’t you think.

I know it’s fun to dunk on people but let’s not be too blatantly deceptive.

Edited by arcane
  • Haha 1