Fix the Clamp!

Alouu

Because of the thing you just said -- because doing an average of 90% damage isn't the same thing as missing one time in twenty.  One reason automatic or critical failure misses exist in tabletop games is because it occasionally forces the players to respond to missing a crucial attack.

Doing an average of 90% isn't the same, but over time doing 95% (i.e. any symmetric distribution with 90% to 100% of listed) of listed damage is the same as missing one out of twenty. The former is probably a pain in the ass to implement so I'd never expect that to replace the miss chance, and the latter I just find personally irritating because my build would have enough accuracy to reach 100% hit rate if the cap didn't exist. Some caps obviously have to exist because things like 95% chance to dodge vs 100% chance is very significant when it comes to balance, but allowing players to do what's essentially 5.3% more damage over time without the hit rate clamp doesn't sound risky when it comes to game balance.

Anyway, it's not a huge issue with the game, but I wouldn't mind seeing it changed as it doesn't carry any mathematical significance to game balance and (to me) only exists as a source of annoyance.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.