City of Villains

ScurvyP

You can create a villain in chargen and play there. Chose villain when you enter, or when you reach decision point in Galaxy tutorial.

• Thumbs Up 5

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

4 minutes ago, ScurvyP said:

Do any of the servers run the City of Villains game and maps? I'm newly on Homecoming and on Excelsior, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it, but I miss those maps.

Yep. Just follow @cranebump's advice there and off you go!

So choose "Breakout" or Galaxy City".  "Breakout" is more direct, you're immediately a villain, while the Galaxy City tutorial will give you the option to be villain or hero at a particular point.

• Thumbs Up 3

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

You can also visit all those maps through teleporters being a vigilante and can switch between hero/vigilante/rogue/villain with a couple clicks talking to Null the Gull on Pocket D (he above a truck on the villain side of PD main dance hall.) You can even try and be a Praetorian if you fancy that. Either way, welcome home and have a blast!

Edited by Albion
  • Like 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

1 hour ago, ScurvyP said:

Do any of the servers run the City of Villains game and maps? I'm newly on Homecoming and on Excelsior, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing it, but I miss those maps.

To clarify, just in case you didn't know - City of Villains isn't a separate game now, and in a sense it never was a separate game. It was just a different set of maps that only Villains could access. Then the Going Rogue expansion came out and made it so that you can switch between Hero and Villain or even be a Vigilante or Rogue who can access both sets of maps at the same time. All the current CoH servers have all the City of Villains and Going Rogue content built into them as well.

Edited by EdgeOfDreams
  • Thumbs Up 4

Welcome back Villain!   Go to Pocket D.  There is a truck on the Redside of pocket D. On that box truck sits a Gull.  Ask the Gull to change your alignment. Can do as many times as you want.  Rogue and Vigilante are very popular as they allow 100% content Red and blue sides 

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

Welcome back Villain!   Go to Pocket D.  There is a truck on the Redside of pocket D. On that box truck sits a Gull.  Ask the Gull to change your alignment. Can do as many times as you want.  Rogue and Vigilante are very popular as they allow 100% content Red and blue sides 

To clarify, a Rogue can do blue side content. They can only lead blue side trials/TFs and regular missions in co-op zones. They can not go to Atlas, find a contact, and accept their missions.

I solo a lot and play red side. It enables me to do content I haven't done to death and avoid doing things like yet another Posi.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

It occurs to me that Null should also let you choose "Citizen" alignment, so you can't do anything except push other players around.

(Okay, naaaahhh.)

• Haha 9
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Ahhh Thank you all, I had made the dumb mistake of not doing the Tutorial since I figured "eh, I played for years, I don't need no stinkin' tutorial!" There are a lot of changes, or at least things that I just don't remember. Thank you for filling me in on a number of them!

• Thumbs Up 3

you should do the tutorials just once, for nostalgia sake

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Save the inspirs you get in the tutorial and then sell them on the market for some quick start up currency.

• Like 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 12/5/2021 at 10:18 PM, Six-Six said:

Awesome! Another RED Blood! Soon there will be enough of us to rule the world (line delivered like Plankton from Spongebob)... with ME as King of course. 😃

You mean Lord Arachnos, right?

Because Lord Arachnos doesnt take too kindly to that kind of talk...

Resident certified baby

20 hours ago, ScurvyP said:

Ahhh Thank you all, I had made the dumb mistake of not doing the Tutorial since I figured "eh, I played for years, I don't need no stinkin' tutorial!" There are a lot of changes, or at least things that I just don't remember. Thank you for filling me in on a number of them!

You don't have to play the tutorial to pick a side.  You can choose at the end of the character creation process.

Also, note that you can choose to start in Praetoria (the alternate Earth also referred to as 'gold side') right at the beginning of the creation process.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:25 AM, Shenanigunner said:

It occurs to me that Null should also let you choose "Citizen" alignment, so you can't do anything except push other players around.

(Okay, naaaahhh.)

You clearly haven't been standing near a base portal when others start appearing around it.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:30 PM, EdgeOfDreams said:

To clarify, just in case you didn't know - City of Villains isn't a separate game now, and in a sense it never was a separate game. It was just a different set of maps that only Villains could access. Then the Going Rogue expansion came out and made it so that you can switch between Hero and Villain or even be a Vigilante or Rogue who can access both sets of maps at the same time. All the current CoH servers have all the City of Villains and Going Rogue content built into them as well.

As far as I remember, you are correct.  I'll add that in order to play a villain, you needed to purchase an actual copy of City of Villains.  Heroes and villains could fight in the PvP zones and work together in co-op zones like the Ritki War Zone and Pocket D.  I think this only lasted for 9 months to a year, at which time the Going Rogue issue was released.  This completely unified the game, and players could create hero archetypes villainside, and vice-versa..

Also alignment tip missions were added, allowing players to change their alignment via a series of missions.  This is still possible, but Homecoming added Null the Gull and few people bother with traditional alignment changes any more.  An alignment series only allows you to change to the next alignment in the loop:

hero -> vigilante -> villain -> rogue -> hero

Edited by cohRock
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Rock

It lasted slightly longer than that, @cohRock.

City of Villains was released in 2005 ( https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Issue_6 ).

City of Villains was finally merged with Heroes in 2008 ( https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/News/20080716 ).

And Going Rogue came out in 2010 ( https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Issue_18 ).

Unless you were thinking of https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/Good_Versus_Evil_Edition when you said "the Going Rogue issue?"

• Like 1