Homecoming Incarnate Guide a.k.a Incarnates made easy

Vea

Note that you don't necessarily have to use all Shards all the way. I typically use Shard-based stuff up to Tier 3 (twice, given that making Tier 4 requires you to have built two Tier 3s), assuming that I got a Notice of the Well from the Weekly Strike Target and the power has a Tier 3 option that uses one of those.

But crafting a Very Rare shard-based component is ridiculously complex, requiring two Rare components and a bunch of extra shards. There's just no point in fiddling with that when you can get a Very Rare Thread-based component with 30 Empyrean merits, if you didn't already earn one from an Incarnate Trial.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

Note that you don't necessarily have to use all Shards all the way. I typically use Shard-based stuff up to Tier 3 (twice, given that making Tier 4 requires you to have built two Tier 3s), assuming that I got a Notice of the Well from the Weekly Strike Target and the power has a Tier 3 option that uses one of those.

But crafting a Very Rare shard-based component is ridiculously complex, requiring two Rare components and a bunch of extra shards. There's just no point in fiddling with that when you can get a Very Rare Thread-based component with 30 Empyrean merits, if you didn't already earn one from an Incarnate Trial.

Yes, I know I can use threads and/or Emp merits. My point was, I have a lot of shards. By my reckoning (which could be off), I have enough shards (plus Notices of the Well and a few other incarnate salvage I already have on hand) to take me all the way to my tier 4. And assuming that shards are only good for the Alpha slot, it makes the most sense to me to use up all my shards before dipping into my supply of threads and merits. I mostly wanted to know if there was any compelling reason not to go this route. Given that this is the first incarnate ability I've ever crafted, and that I am by no means an expert, I just want to make sure I'm not blindly blundering into making a big mistake that wastes my resources.

The tier 4 I am going for is the Nerve Core Paragon. Its very rare shard-based component is a Favor of the Well, which (according to the wiki) requires 2 Notices of the Well and 32 shards. I have 3 NotW on hand, so one more WST should get the 4th I need to be able to make my two T3's and make that Favor of the Well for my T4. That doesn't seem overly complex to me, unless I am just totally missing something.

I'm lost. I had only one L50 with the alpha slot unlocked and equipped before shutdown and my memoryis fuzzy as to how I got there. My current main has hit 50 and has been accumulating incarnate threads and a couple of incarnate shards. To equip the alpha slot, I need stuff like Essence of the Incarnate and Dimensional Keystone which I can't seem to figure out how to get without more shards. Since I only solo, TFs are more difficult for me. Other than those, how do I get the components needed for the alpha slot abilities?

I'm lost. I had only one L50 with the alpha slot unlocked and equipped before shutdown and my memoryis fuzzy as to how I got there. My current main has hit 50 and has been accumulating incarnate threads and a couple of incarnate shards. To equip the alpha slot, I need stuff like Essence of the Incarnate and Dimensional Keystone which I can't seem to figure out how to get without more shards. Since I only solo, TFs are more difficult for me. Other than those, how do I get the components needed for the alpha slot abilities?

There are two primary routes to get the stuff you need: shards 'n threads and empyrean merits(EM). The shards 'n threads path also requires influence. The Empyrean Merits path does not. You can mix and match them (use Incarnates for tier 1 and EM's for tier for example).

The whole thing is rather byzantine with lots of required conversions and a variety of merits and rewards.

Off topic rant: What's especially galling is that incarnate salvage is not tradeable and not saleable. Throw in three types of merits and what's left is a hot mess. It's all needlessly complex and seems like it was never well thought out or designed.

• Like 1

The whole thing is rather byzantine with lots of required conversions and a variety of merits and rewards.

Off topic rant: What's especially galling is that incarnate salvage is not tradeable and not saleable. Throw in three types of merits and what's left is a hot mess. It's allm needlessly complex and seems lie it was never well thought out or designed.

Amen to that. I've been researching the incarnate system off and on for the better part of three weeks now and, while I still have questions (see my previous posts), I am just now getting to a point where I feel like I have made at least a little sense out of it.

All that complication is, to some extent, a relic of the Incarnate system in its original, well, incarnation, as it was on live. Back then, you had to earn Thread-based stuff and Incarnate XP by doing Incarnate Trials, and you didn't get it from regular content. (Except maybe the Alpha slot, I forget.) The Alpha slot was supposed to be easier to unlock, so it had the Shard-based stuff, that could be obtained from doing regular non-Incarnate content (an Ancient Nictus Fragment from the ITF, or Gr'ai Matter bought with Vanguard Merits, for example). Higher slots were of a higher order, and so you had to grind them out using Incarnate trials (which were behind the paywall, not sure if the Alpha stuff was or not).

As for the three types of merits, well, there used to be merit vendors for Astral and Empyrean Merits up on Ouroboros. But as part of the SCORE changes, all the stuff they used to sell was rolled into stuff made available for free or elsewhere. So there was nothing left for them to sell, so they were replaced by Luna, who converts between Astrals and Empyreans. Astrals are only good for converting to Threads or Empyreans, Empyreans are only good for converting to Threads, Astrals, or Rare/Very Rare Thread-based components. (So at least that's something.)

I expect that completely removing them and revamping the system to make it less complex was more work than the SCORE devs wanted to do. So they just retrofitted stuff so you'd at least have something useful to do with the things that were no longer useful for much of anything else.

• Like 1

How do level shifts work, exactly?  I noticed that when she was running Number Six missions, Heraclea was +3, but when all that was over, back to +1 again. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

How do level shifts work, exactly?  I noticed that when she was running Number Six missions, Heraclea was +3, but when all that was over, back to +1 again.

The Alpha shift applies to all content at which the Exemplar system grants you access to level 50 powers—so, exemplaring to level 45 and up, or running task forces/trials like ITF, Eden, or Abandoned Sewers that top out at 50.

The Destiny and Lore shifts only apply to Incarnate content, like the Incarnate Trials or the Dark Astoria zone and arcs.

There are two primary routes to get the stuff you need: shards 'n threads and empyrean merits(EM). The shards 'n threads path also requires influence. The Empyrean Merits path does not. You can mix and match them (use Incarnates for tier 1 and EM's for tier for example).

Thanks! I realized what i was doing wrong on the Alpha slot. I would hover over it with the mouse and see the shard recipe on the right. I didn't realize that I had to left click on it THEN scroll down on the right to expose the incarnate thread recipe.

As I understand it, incarnate shards are only good for crafting the alpha ability and nothing else. It seems to make the most sense to me to use my shards for that, and save my threads for later abilities. Is there any compelling reason NOT to go ahead and use up my shards to craft my T4 alpha?

You will also need a whole lot of influence. Budget carefully.

I did some checking this weekend to see how much influence I would need to craft my alpha up to T4 (using the shard route as mentioned in previous posts). It looked like the only step that required influence was the T3 step for crafting Notice of the Well, and I don't need to craft that since I am getting NoTW from the weekly targets. I did not see an influence cost associated with crafting the T1, T2, or T4 slots (including crafting the components required for each). I was looking at the Incarnate Abilities UI in-game. Am I missing something?

Just to follow up on my post immediately above, I created my T4 alpha (Nerve Core Paragon) last night. I had 4 Notice of the Wells (from WST), 4 Ancient Nictus Fragment (from ITF), and a Gr'ai Matter (converted from Vanguard Merits) on hand, plus about 130 shards. I used 108 shards to create the rest of the incarnate components I needed, and spent exactly zero influence.

Ok so I think I might have messed up trying to make more influence, not knowing the mechanic. When I hit 50 I disabled the "gain xp" option, thinking it would double my influence. I think this might naturally happen at 50 anyways?

Reason for concern is because I've unlocked my Hybrid slot already and have not gotten 1 Empyrean Merit to show for it. Not a single one. I'm obviously accumulating Incarnate experience, but I clearly did something to mess up the mechanic that awards me Empyrean merits for "leveling" after 50. I'm assuming I just need to turn the "gain xp" back "On" ? This sucks because I've done a ton of farming since hitting 50 under this setting.... : (

Not sure I would even know where to check, tbh. Not at home right now either.

I do know this...once I toggled the "Disable XP" option in settings, the xp leveling bar I was gaining xp in right after I dinged 50 disappeared, so honestly I might be Vet level 0, which I guess would explain the lack of Empyrean merits?

So now I'm wondering about the influence thing. Do you automatically get double influence when you ding 50 and no longer earn xp, or do you have to toggle the "disable xp" option to earn double influence?

Turn your XP on. It's needed for veteran levels and doesn't help your inf gain (read the little ? text). You get a ton of free threads for most of the levels up to 10. And emp merits drop every 3 vet levels up to 99. Quite a lot early on.

And all of you, stop fussing. If you have the shards you need for alpha slots, use them. If you don't, use threads. Don't build notices unless you have a butt ton of money anyway. They can drop on iTrials though, which is probably the better way to acquire them. But mostly if you don't have shards or the inf just use freakin' threads and mostly emp merits for the rare and very rare components. You can always go back and use shards for other alphas as you acquire more.

Solo, you can  repeat the Burdens of the Past arc for a chance at a choice of uncommon to very rare thread piece (mostly common/uncommon - seen a few rares, 1 very rare). You also get a random drop (not sure how high that can go - but mostly common and IIRC uncommon sometimes). I can roll through it in about 15-20 minutes or more like 30 if I stop to kill all those Tsoo to keep the veteran levels rolling which is definitely worth it up to 10, but I like alternating with MSRs and rushing Burdens after that.

But stop with the hand-wringing over emp inf/merit value such that you end up taking like 20 times longer  to get your incarnates built waiting for stuff to drop randomly. They're awesome. Worth every merit you could have had. If you have the means to move your incarnates forward, do so with whatever you have. My main has multiple tier 4s in several categories and she's not done making all the incarnates she'd like to try yet. When she wants cash, she crafts/converts for it. Plenty of purple sets and ATOs for the 30+ alts to go around.

So cut the crap and build your incarnates already.

• Thanks 1

Is there something I am missing? I just hit Vet level 3 and received the Empyrean Merits but did not receive the 120 threads?

Edit: nvm, just read on another thread that the levels you receive merits you do not receive threads.

Edited by HachiMan2007

Thank you all for your responses - hopefully things have been cleared up by now. If you have any questions you can add me in game. @Vae/@Vea

I am going to post some recommendations as to what abilities to pick and some justifications below:

Alpha

More damage? Musculature. Good for DPS.
More defense and recharge? Agility. Good for those who rely on defense and those who want perma-haste builds.
Struggling with End? Need more resist? Cardiac. Good for resistance based brutes and tanks.

Purely need more recharge? Spiritual.

I've yet to use Vigor, Resilient, Nerve and Intuition.

I tend to prioritise Damage, Defense and Recharge in builds.

Judgement

Just going to recommend Ion here. Its easy to use, limited aiming needed. Fire and forget. Hits many targets.

Interface
Not the expert in this ability as mentioned in the main post BUT I would recommend Reactive, Degenerative and Diamagnetic.

Lore

This is most the most flexible ability, they are all pretty good. I may look into this in more detail. If you are struggling to pick, I would say Banished Pantheon. The support version can be made untouchable AND do damage so that's beneficial for farmers.

Destiny
Ageless - Removes all endurance problems with the +recov version, T4 is perma. On the other side of the tree there is debuff protection, I would recommend this for those who take the alpha hit from mobs and don't want to be -def debuffed to hell.

Barrier - good resistance and defense buffs.  The high amount fade quickly, but can help you take the initial hit.

Clarion - Perma mez protection at T3. Or you can get a power boost power, that also stacks with power boost. Power Boost + Clarion + Overgrowth + Wild Bastion = 1000hp absorb shields.

Incandesence - TP your team to you quickly. Not sure if any of the other abilities are worth. Maybe get T1 only.

Rebirth - Perma +Regen with T4.

Hybrid
Assault - See post in main link for this one.

Control - This is meh. The proc for damage is nice.
Melee - I like this for +resistance and regen for builds that have enough defense. Also provides mes protection. I wouldn't recommend the +def side.

Support - Auto Endurance discount is nice. Double bonus for pets is also nice. Can get you soft capped if you are nearby.

• Like 1

@Vea/@Vae/@Vew - You can call me V.

• 2 weeks later

Wow, what a wealth of information. Thank you. this was exactly what I was looking for to wrap my head around the incarnate system.

Noob query: Does the Destiny slot/power only affect the team mates (like the defender heal others but not self)? or does it apply to you the caster, too?

2 hours ago, Six Six said:

Wow, what a wealth of information. Thank you. this was exactly what I was looking for to wrap my head around the incarnate system.

Noob query: Does the Destiny slot/power only affect the team mates (like the defender heal others but not self)? or does it apply to you the caster, too?

It definitely applies to yourself as well.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Another noobish question: Is there a way to "recycle" a power? For example, I went with say Paralytic for Interface, but decided later that Diamagnetic would be better. Is there a way to change them or at least not have the first one go totally to waste?

Negative, Ghost Rider.  You can just have two (or even all), Interface powers and switch them out as desired.  Besides, it's good to have two Interfaces as they stop being effective if more than four people on a team or league use the same Interface power.  Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Incandescence is highly useful, both as a team teleport and as an offensive power. It's fun to be able to throw your entire team at a bunch of bad guys, throw them back, stun them, and make the heals on the rest of your team more effective. The only thing I could wish is that I could change the KB to KD, but still, I can just try to use it to knock things back against walls and into corners.

In any case, you'd want to get at least the tier 3 if you're going to use it during Incarnate Trials or in Dark Astoria, for the level shift. And it can be useful during trials where you want to get everyone to a certain place, or away from a certain place (Keyes, for example).

• Thanks 1

Since this thread has helped me so much, I thought I'd give a tip I picked up to help other people along.

If you want to go it solo and feel that you're a bit squishy especially with the likes of Black Scorpion, Requiem, etc. towards the end of missions, you can bring an extra ally:
Do a Recluse's Victory from Atlas City Hall (SERAPH?). There's virtually no one ever there. Go pick up a Longbow Heavy, destroy turrets and claim pillboxes. Once you "win" the round, you get a Longbow Heavy as a temp power (1 use for 5 mins.). Comes in handy for the hardier bosses. 😃

Then again, as you make more and more runs towards the incarnate stuff, you'll end up not needing the Heavy after a while. I have one Longbow Heavy and Vanguard Heavy in my back pocket just in case. 😃

• 4 weeks later

I'll throw a question in here that I have re Incarnate slotting. I read above that the same slotting works across all 3 builds a character has, without the need for slotting everything 3 times. What about respecs? Say you have a character at 50, umpteen vet levels, with an uber-neat build you got off the forums, and every Incarnate slot at T3 or T4. Then you come across an UBERER build that you just gotta have. Respec time! BUT...does such a respec touch your Incarnate slots at all (whether you want them to change or not)? Or is changing Incarnate slotting an entirely different thing?