How good the Disney+ shows are makes me even sadder about how dreary and non-super the Netflix shows were

Daredevil was the only Netflix show I really liked, and just the first 2 seasons.  Iron Fist had such good secondary characters, I watched it inspite of Iron Fist himself but gave up on season 2.  Luke Cage I ended up just having on in the background to run through the series.  I gave up on Jessica Jones halfway through the first episode, same with the Guardians and Punisher.

The Netflix shows to me were "prestige tv".  Boring, dreary, tedious, and dull.  Only Daredevil even wore a superhero costume.  The others seemed to go out of their way to not be superhero shows.  Even Nolan's Batman for as boring and tedious as those movies are had Batman in costume facing villains in costume.

I read and loved Powerman and Iron Fist in the 70's.  And read and loved Daredevil in the 70's and 80's.  I was so disappointed in those shows.

And now Disney+ is making fun, adventurous superhero tv shows.  The feel like Marvel superheroes.

I have to wonder who decided to make the Netflix shows that way.  They all have the same style and feel, so I can't believe it was an accident.

I'm not sure why Netflix chose the whole GRIMDARK vibe when dealing with Marvel properties - given how the movies were presented and the success that drove. Then tried to flip it with Defenders and such, and got neither Nolan-style gritty or Favreau flashy right. The only one that worked was Jessica Jones, which is quite a deep and involved, character-driven story (and, of course, marvellously played by Ritter and Tennant.)

Daredevil especially still didn't grab me despite the fantastic Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio: very happy to see them getting a second shot at the roles but with Marvel leading. In particular the intentionally shocking ultraviolence seemed there for, well, intentional shock value and as a marketing point rather than to drive the story, and did not go down well with those expecting Iron Man or Cap-style glossy. (Or their lunchbox-buying, subscription-controlling, parental-lock-enabling parents.)

Agents Of SHIELD worked much better for ABC(aka Disney) because it definitively wasn't about superheroes - a bunch of ordinary if insanely talented working schmos whose job it is fit in around them, to deal with the terrifying and extraordinary. Even Daisy becoming Quake worked because it was unexpected (I honestly thought she was a goner until the cocoon cracked), difficult and took a lot of adjusting all round. It also followed more closely the feel and tone of the movies, and a little of the production quality. Plus that cast. 

It lost its way after season 4, which happens to a lot of shows, but finished out strong.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

In particular the intentionally shocking ultraviolence seemed there for, well, intentional shock value and as a marketing point rather than to drive the story, and did not go down well with those expecting Iron Man or Cap-style glossy.

Agents Of SHIELD worked much better for ABC(aka Disney) because it definitively wasn't about superheroes - a bunch of ordinary if insanely talented working schmos whose job it is fit in around them, to deal with the terrifying and extraordinary. Even Daisy becoming Quake worked because it was unexpected (I honestly thought she was a goner until the cocoon cracked), difficult and took a lot of adjusting all round. It also followed more closely the feel and tone of the movies, and a little of the production quality. Plus that cast. 

It lost its way after season 4, which happens to a lot of shows, but finished out strong.

I ceased watching Daredevil due to the ultraviolence.  I realize others thrive on that stuff, but I don't.  I do feel there might be a place for it, but it should sicken, not excite.  So I usually find it works best in a historical-based war film, ala Saving Private Ryan.  I would welcome a Daredevil version that toned it down a bit.  I do realize things can be quite brutal in a real criminal underworld.  I'd just prefer not to call that "entertainment".

Agents of SHIELD had an okay start to the 5th season, but finished strong.  It stumbled, just a bit, in season 6, since up to then, they thought they were closing the show.  7th season was fun, and a love letter to the fans.  I've ever after wished then MCU would bring them into fold again, at least Quake.

I guess I'm an outlier as I hated AoS. Jones S1 was my favorite of the netflix offerings followed by all the DD but s2. The rest ranged from good but too long (cage) to the most boring thing I'd ever seen prior to Doom Patrol coming out (jones s2). I think the problem with most of the netflix stuff is rather than have the series be as long as they needed to be for the story they had the idea they needed 13 hour long episodes. They only rarely had enough story to fill that time and it showed. Also I only noticed the violence when it was bad, ala some of the Iron Fist phantom punches, but I'm well desensitized to such things.

I am not a fan of AoS and did not finish it.  Moment by moment it was good, but it was too dark and dragged out too long.  It felt like they did not resolve their storylines but just added in filler to pad it out.  It ended up feeling like a soap opera, more so than the CW shows.  

• 3 weeks later

I preferred the Netflix shows to the Disney stuff.  And Daredevil in particular to most of the MCU theatrical stuff.  

But then I prefer the whole two fisted gritty Gotham style Vigilante to the Cosmic Powered Super Hero.  

Also I think Action for Action's sake with little dialog beyond Snark and weak character development has become too prevalent in modern Movies,  and the Disney Stuff is basically just extended MCU movies cut up into 6 parts.  

But I get that my tastes are not the norm.  And the disney stuff is far superior to the CW stuff.  

I like the D+ stuff: because while they do deliver on a lot of the expected stuff, being on a streaming platform with a guaranteed audience, the writers can do unexpected, un-movie-like things without having them focus-grouped to death.

Like... well, pretty much all of WandaVision, but particularly the Ship Of Theseus and the deliberate messing with the fandom's minds (ctrl-alt-Quicksilver).

Or introducing multiversal variants with Sylvie, and then Richard E Grant's Kermit Golden Age Loki

Or the wildly downbeat endings of the Killmonger and Ultimate Strange What Ifs.

Or the quiet, character building moments in Hawkeye, especially the ones revolving around pizza, mac cheese and hot sauce. Guess the writers were hungry. Sounds about right.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.