Beast/Cold Domination didn't work

Diantane

13 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I have yet to see a claim by the OP which can't be refuted through personal experience by myself or other players. I am absolutely convinced the OPs struggles are due to bad builds. 

FYI, I'm not sure why this wasn't pointed out before, but 2 slotting res in the shields is bad slotting. 1. Because the numbers for the Res is low. 2. The Res only covers Cold and Fire. You want three slots for Def. If you slot for Res, it is a one off IO, ie Gladiator's Armor: TP Protect/+3% Def. If you don't want to deal with IOs, then 3 Def and any Recharge/End you feel you need. See also Arctic Fog.

If you can't solo a MM at +0/x1, then yes, the issue is you and not the sets.

I dont know if you saw, but, @Generic 1234 had a post that got removed that had the same build as the op in which he tested. 

Nothing happened and the build did fine.

I'll still fall back and say he's trolling. 

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

44 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I dont know if you saw, but, @Generic 1234 had a post that got removed that had the same build as the op in which he tested. 

Nothing happened and the build did fine.

I'll still fall back and say he's trolling. 

To be fair, I didn't see where the OP shared their exact build, so any attempt at replicating it would simply be that. I've teamed with the OP. If they are merely trolling on the forums, they are going full-on The Prestige level of dedication. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

Beast cold solo's quite well. Im not sure why its difficult to play for some. Honestly its easy to softcap def to the point its one of the few MM sets that can cap defense all by it's lonesome. Procced infrigidate hits like a truck and with sleet and heatloss, Beast/cold is a killing machine.

If healing is an issue then bind insp combines to movement keys to make um on the fly and macros/binds for your pets to feed them greens(brutes do it all the time). And thats before you factor in the healing pool or sorcery. The game can let you pull off some ridiculous feats if you desire.

• Thumbs Up 1

Might get banned for this, but who cares...

Level 20 Beasts/Cold. Both pets, Train Beasts, both defense shields, and Arctic Air. Nothing else used. Set pets to aggressive then I walk up to each mob and stand there. No buttons pressed during combat other than movement, no inspirations at all, and no healing pets between groups. If pets die I just re-summon and buff. Difficulty at +0x1.

Mission.jpg.1cf118f70bc316744ed3efed9fd37a21.jpg

I finally managed to get a couple dogs killed in the mission:

446619593_DeadPets.jpg.4d68d24fd7e139287d49eb5e875e5f3a.jpg

And one on the boss:

Boss.jpg.0d9585235cc5b38848a496eac78f346b.jpg

And yet I STILL completed it:

Complete.jpg.be1d51a3a233fd248c22495e240420fa.jpg

This is not me bragging. There's no skill involved here. I'm not even doing anything during combat. The AI is deciding who the pets will attack. The game is literally playing itself.

I suppose that since a couple pets died a few times he may have a point about their survival, except I also didn't use enhancements:

Enhancements.jpg.30ca9222a8e0fbd92fa1e68b4b3f21fe.jpg

Again, he's either a troll or has some serious problems with lying. Either way, please continue to take him seriously. I really liked his tanker thread. 😄

• Thanks 5

Here's a high-end build using the new Ice Mistral damage procs.

It's a buzzsaw versus most stuff, and pets hardly ever die.

Again, the +Defense IOs in the Lions are most important.  As soon as you have those, farming the rest becomes a lot easier.

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lady Iceblood: Level 50 Magic Mastermind
Primary Power Set: Beast Mastery
Secondary Power Set: Cold Domination
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Chill Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Summon Wolves -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(3), SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx:50(3), AchHee-ResDeb%:20(5), TchofLadG-%Dam:50(5), ShlBrk-%Dam:30(7)
Level 1: Infrigidate -- Acc-I:50(A), EndRdx-I:50(23), TchofLadG-%Dam:50(23), ShlBrk-%Dam:30(25), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(25), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg:50(27)
Level 2: Ice Shield -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), RedFrt-Def:50(9), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(9), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(21), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(29)
Level 4: Snow Storm -- EndRdx-I:50(A), EndRdx-I:50(19), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(19), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg:50(21)
Level 6: Train Beasts -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 8: Hover -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 10: Glacial Shield -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), RedFrt-Def:50(11), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(17), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(27), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(39)
Level 12: Summon Lions -- SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(A), SprCmmoft-Acc/Dmg:50(13), SprCmmoft-Dmg/EndRdx:50(13), SprCmmoft-Rchg/PetAoEDef:50(15), EdcoftheM-PetDef:40(15), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets):30(17)
Level 14: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(A)
Level 16: Evasive Maneuvers -- HO:Micro(A)
Level 18: Fortify Pack -- Prv-Absorb%:50(A)
Level 20: Arctic Fog -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34), RedFrt-Def:50(34), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(34), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(36), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(36)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), RedFrt-Def:50(39), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(40), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(46)
Level 24: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A), EndRdx-I:50(33)
Level 26: Summon Dire Wolf -- SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(A), SprMarofS-Acc/Dmg:50(29), SprMarofS-Dmg:50(31), SprMarofS-EndRdx/+Resist/+Regen:50(50), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(50), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg:50(50)
Level 28: Benumb -- Acc-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(36), RechRdx-I:50(37), EndRdx-I:50(37)
Level 30: Vengeance -- RctRtc-Pcptn:20(A)
Level 32: Tame Beasts -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 35: Sleet -- TmpRdn-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow:50(A), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow:50(37), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg:50(40), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(40), TchofLadG-%Dam:50(43), ShlBrk-%Dam:30(46)
Level 38: Flash Freeze -- FrtHyp-Acc/Sleep/Rchg:50(A)
Level 41: Frozen Armor -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(42), RedFrt-Def:50(42), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(42), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(43)
Level 44: Heat Loss -- Acc-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(45), RechRdx-I:50(45), EndRdx-I:50(45), ImpSwf-Dam%:30(48), IceMisTrmt-+ColdDmg:50(48)
Level 47: Hoarfrost -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(48)
Level 49: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 1: Supremacy 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- UnbLea-Stlth:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Heal-I:50(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Flight-I:50(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(33), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(33)
Level 1: Stamina -- EndMod-I:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(31), PrfShf-End%:50(31)
Level 1: Alpha Howler Wolf 
Level 1: Howler Wolf 
Level 26: Dire Wolf 
Level 12: Lioness 
Level 1: Pack Mentality 
Level 14: Afterburner 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

• Thanks 1

I think level 20 is too early to tell if your toon's power sets will work or not. It is after all the level where "beginner's luck" ends. Aside from not having most of your powers, you should still be struggling a bit with end issues. Beasts is strong, even just the li'l doggies. in the coming levels, even if you don't end up taking a healing power for your beasts, make use of Snow Storm, Fog and Sleet. If you slow down your enemies from attacking you, you won't have to heal so much. Once the epic pools open up, you will get access to some nifty powers.

You can also tank for your pets, so you're taking the brunt of the attack while they're doing the biting. If so, augment your def/res with set bonuses. If you're not into IO sets, it can still work if slotted properly. Of course you'll fare better in a team. when you're alone, then the onus falls on how good you play, the strategy you use to keep yourself and your pets alive. enhancements and stats can only take you so far. In the end, even the best/most expensive builds can be crap (and vice versa) depending on how you play.

I usually test drive concepts for toons until level 20. at that level or earlier, I can get a feel if the toon will work for me and my personal play style or not. I suspect that is your sentiment... that it doesn't work for you. In that case, the OP could be misconstrued as a sweeping generalisation the beast/cold is universally a bad pair up, which it isn't as other people have testified. I suggest soldiering through to at least 35 or 40 to really see how a particular set performs. Also, you have to adapt to what powers are available too you. You don't judge a fish by how well it climbs a tree.

On 12/18/2021 at 6:36 PM, Generic 1234 said:

Might get banned for this, but who cares...

Level 20 Beasts/Cold. Both pets, Train Beasts, both defense shields, and Arctic Air. Nothing else used. Set pets to aggressive then I walk up to each mob and stand there. No buttons pressed during combat other than movement, no inspirations at all, and no healing pets between groups. If pets die I just re-summon and buff. Difficulty at +0x1.

Mission.jpg.1cf118f70bc316744ed3efed9fd37a21.jpg

I finally managed to get a couple dogs killed in the mission:

446619593_DeadPets.jpg.4d68d24fd7e139287d49eb5e875e5f3a.jpg

And one on the boss:

Boss.jpg.0d9585235cc5b38848a496eac78f346b.jpg

And yet I STILL completed it:

Complete.jpg.be1d51a3a233fd248c22495e240420fa.jpg

This is not me bragging. There's no skill involved here. I'm not even doing anything during combat. The AI is deciding who the pets will attack. The game is literally playing itself.

I suppose that since a couple pets died a few times he may have a point about their survival, except I also didn't use enhancements:

Enhancements.jpg.30ca9222a8e0fbd92fa1e68b4b3f21fe.jpg

Again, he's either a troll or has some serious problems with lying. Either way, please continue to take him seriously. I really liked his tanker thread. 😄

You beat me to to the punch👊🏾 .This is exactly what i was talking about, Beast/Cold is one of the newer sets that honesty can do well all on its own before you even factor in IOs. Cold is an excellent AV tackling set and with so many proc options you really have to do something drastically wrong to have poor results.

• Thumbs Up 1

Funnily enough freakshow I find is one of the tougher mobs for this combo just because of that annoying auto hit super stunner rez and them being melee pets.  It is hard for them not to get whacked by it and all that defense is worthless against it. 

That is while you are in a big team or have difficulty set up high enough of course.  Solo on more moderate difficulties you don't tend to get many super stunners and they are mild enough they can power through them.

Anyway, just hit level 50 on mine the other night, still enjoying it. 😀

Edited by Riverdusk

If you like beast/cold, keep playing it. Later on, it becomes extremely potent. Beasts have innate defenses, which your shields only push them that much higher. It can be a struggle to fit them in,but slotting the 2 pet +defense IOs will help also.

I took bonfire as my epic power pick. Slotted the overwhelming force kb>kd in it. That helped out quite a bit also for damage mitigation. 

I never actually use Fortify Pack. While it's active, your pets lose their crit chances. I put a LotG:def/global recharge in it and call it a day.

I've found that solo, MMs are "ok", but really shine on teams.