If NCSoft gave it's blessing.........

Dazl

4 hours ago, kelika2 said:

Until the whole low level name squatting thing is taken care of id rather not think about it.

But after that, its just word of mouth.

Project1999 sees maybe 1k players daily

SWGEmu last I checked was 1k players daily

CoX also being in that range seems.. normal.

Crap I forgot about dual boxers in swgemu/cox and having 1 character per server in p99 screwing the facevalue numbers

Just moments ago we got word that Homecoming gets around 2,000 concurrent players at prime time and around 9,000 unique accounts active during a day, more on the weekends.

Edited by Albion

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.

3 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Oh, I didn't know that. I thought Daybreak Game Company would have kept a tighter grip than that on Everquest since the still have live servers (multiple Everquest (9) and Everquest 2 (8) servers not including a beta/test server for each).

Nope, the p99 leaders have an actual legit agreement with Daybreak.  Only rule I can think offhand is keep p99 updates away from Daybreak updates timewise.

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I don't see how Steam doesn't have any kind of VOIP system as far as I know. (half a joke in that)

I don't see how Steam would spread knowledge of the game. It can't list it as a superhero game as the term as Marvel and DC Comics have joint ownership of the term as a trademark.

Steam chat has VOIP.

Steam could advertise the game (and it being a shop that would take a percentage of any sales it would be in their interests to occasionally do that).

And I don't think you understand how trademarks work. Marvel and DC have not trademarked the term Superhero Game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

18 minutes ago, Lunchmoney said:

Steam chat has VOIP.

Steam could advertise the game (and it being a shop that would take a percentage of any sales it would be in their interests to occasionally do that).

And I don't think you understand how trademarks work. Marvel and DC have not trademarked the term Superhero Game.

I looked it up, they have a joint trademark on the word "Superhero" and "Super Hero." Seems like they've had it for a while, at least defending their claim in U.S. courts. And they've got Paramount and Disney lawyers behind them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

4 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

They don't. 

Some of the players say that they set up their Steam to show that they played City of Heroes, so i was wondering if it tracked that.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

Not "superhero game" but they have trademarked "Superhero" and that is part of "superhero game"

It's with its City of Heroes and not City of Superheroes.

And why Champion is the Super Role-playing game.

815Kia+Fq3L.jpg

I think it is you that doesn't understand how trademarks work.

Edited by UltraAlt
Trying to make a post while in a mission.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

43 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Not "superhero game" but they have trademarked "Superhero" and that is part of "superhero game"

It's with its City of Heroes and not City of Superheroes.

And why Champion is the Super Role-playing game.

6 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

And I forgot.

It is also the same kind of reason that BattleTech is called BattleTech.

BattleTech first came out as Battledroids, but Lucas sued them over the "droid" part.

143498.jpg

6 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

We can even go into the Captain Marvel curse.

Of course Fawcett wasn't sued by Marvel because they weren't around yet. They were sued by DC Comics because they said Captain Marvel was a Superman rip-off.

Doesn't seem relevant?

Well, a British publisher took the original Captain Marvel comics and basically erased the costume and redrew of over them and named the hero Marvelman.

574.jpg

Years later, they bought back the character in Warrior Magazine. Still okay to call him Marvelman as his name wasn't on the cover ....

0quze1mi0ji61.jpg

..... in big bold letters until ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPWEh4ISZwLcfSrC070jv

Now that "Marvelman" was on the cover; the British branch of Marvel comics that put out magazines like Rampage sued over "confusion in the marketplace" because "Marvel" was on the cover.

2276101-ramp53.jpg

These things do happen.

Not so? Not just my tale.

-and-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(comics) - "Marvelman last appeared in Warrior in issue 21. This was ostensibly because, after Quality published a spin-off Marvelman Special featuring stories from the character's original run, Marvel Comics objected that this was a trademark infringement on the better known Marvel brand name."

Edited by UltraAlt

9 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I looked it up, they have a joint trademark on the word "Superhero" and "Super Hero." Seems like they've had it for a while, at least defending their claim in U.S. courts. And they've got Paramount and Disney lawyers behind them. 

I looked it up too. Learnt something new (that "superhero" is trademarked, but not the description "superhero game") and also learned they aren't actively defending it anymore. There's many companies using the word (and games, in their title or description, on Steam alone, see below pic) superhero in their name and Marvel/DC only went after the one that used their shield & lettering logo; not the word "superhero".

Screenshot_20211222_083131.jpg

Screenshot_20211222_083921.jpg

Edited by Lunchmoney
There's an actual upcoming game called Superhero.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

But back to the point in the OP, you wouldn't want this game on Steam (or any other game store platform) as they will want a percentage of income and Homecoming is a non profit. If Steam were invited to the table I suspect they'd want an upfront sale price or microtransactions inside the game, if free to play, which they will take a slice. 

5 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

But back to the point in the OP, you wouldn't want this game on Steam (or any other game store platform) as they will want a percentage of income and Homecoming is a non profit. If Steam were invited to the table I suspect they'd want an upfront sale price or microtransactions inside the game, if free to play, which they will take a slice. 

Does Steam not have any truly free games on its system then?

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Not really.

There are F2P games, but they all seem to have P2P/P2W elements that I have tried in Steam. Think of a starter package to get you hooked and then luring you into micro-transactions.

Some are flat purchase price, but, again, it appears the games all have micro-transactions that are for expansions, cosmetics, etc.

Some are subscription - with the same sort of micro-transactions.

My exposure is limited.

Steam is the devil if you didn't already know. (I'm not saying folks shouldn't or don't like the devil)

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

7 hours ago, Lunchmoney said:

I looked it up too. Learnt something new (that "superhero" is trademarked, but not the description "superhero game") and also learned they aren't actively defending it anymore. There's many companies using the word (and games, in their title or description, on Steam alone, see below pic) superhero in their name and Marvel/DC only went after the one that used their shield & lettering logo; not the word "superhero".

They used to go after anyone tooth-and-nail, but https://bleedingcool.com/comics/is-this-the-end-of-marvel-and-dcs-defense-of-the-superhero-trademark/ seemed tos stat that they started slacking around 2019. Not sure if that is COVID related or Disney not being as alert as the could be about the trademark ... if the shared trademark this is really an issue as stated in the article. 

I mean it has stood up in court for like 50 years or more, I figure if it is an issue now it would have been an issue before.

Please by the many gods of many pantheons, don't make it a Steam game; or at least not Steam exclusive. I've never had good luck getting Steam to be stable and useful (Mac or Parallels), their tech support is useless, and I detest the trend of rented and middlware software. I swore-off Steam years ago; too frustrating. I'd hate to be driven away from CoX again by such a decision. 😞

I can deal with GoG, at least they seem to care and their software ports seem to work properly…

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

No idea. I've played a couple of games that were free to start but have dlc and in game purchases, and that will still need to kick back to the store platform (Steam, GoG, whoever).

Edited by Lunchmoney

Get COH on any and all platforms, operating systems, environments - hell run it on a potato from the supermarket using dial up i don't care. You don't like steam - good use the HC loader, you like the Steam - good do your thing too.

Just nothing that ever boxes it in from being available because of corporate whims of the day and it is taken away or obstructed from the community again.

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

1 hour ago, CFIndustries said:

I can deal with GoG, at least they seem to care and their software ports seem to work properly…

Not to mention they are Anti-DRM champions, which is why I buy games from them instead of Steam, given the choice.

And yeah, they also package up DOS games with the needed emulation to run well on modern systems. I've done it myself, and it's a pain in the proverbial. 

More than once, I've re-purchased a game I already own for that reason.

Edited by DoctorDitko
PS:
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

A simple one time cost similar to GW2 would work wonders. It could be on Steam, the cost be reasonable, and it would get pushed during sales. You may not like Steam or other places, but the marketing would be important.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

On 12/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, ShardWarrior said:

Who exactly determines who is or is not a "pillar of the community"?  I can without question assure you, the few people here who fancy themselves as these are absolutely nowhere near it.  In fact, from my personal experience most all who think they are are as far from being a pillar of the community as one can possibly be.  That includes a few of the GMs and developers. 

Communities are made up of many different kinds of people with many different views.  Rather than dismissing each other or trying to force others to "fall in line", use empathy, patience and tolerance.  Those are what help a community bond and grow.

Would upvote this a million times if I could.  Well said.

37 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Would upvote this a million times if I could.  Well said.

It is an opinion however, far from facts.

1 hour ago, Albion said:

It is an opinion however, far from facts.

Can you show me where I said it was a fact?  I know it triggers a lot of people here, but yes people can have and are entitled to their own opinions and some of them aren't going to be glowing praise and hero worship.  I certainly won't begrudge you yours, however based on experience from what I've seen here and in game, that post is spot on describing some of the folks here.  Feel free to disagree.

4 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Can you show me where I said it was a fact?  I know it triggers a lot of people here, but yes people can have and are entitled to their own opinions and some of them aren't going to be glowing praise and hero worship.  I certainly won't begrudge you yours, however based on experience from what I've seen here and in game, that post is spot on describing some of the folks here.  Feel free to disagree.

I am not talking of your opinion or his, just merely stating the fact that without Devs, GM's and the well known organizers of runs, there would be no community, thus yes they are pillars, besides if you and the other poster hold a grudge towards them or not.