Gaming chair with fold-up arms?

RikOz

Does anybody know if any company makes gaming chairs with arms that fold up and out of the way?

In addition to being a gamer, I'm also a guitarist/bassist. Playing guitar while seated really requires an armless chair or stool, because the arms really get in the way. Trying to play guitar while sitting in my current gaming chair requires me to sit so far forward, on the edge of the seat, that I'm constantly in fear of the chair toppling over (this actually happened once when I was bent down tying my shoes). Not to mention that, sitting like that, I have no back support, and at my age that means I get a serious backache while playing guitar.

I could just buy a second chair, but unfortunately I don't have the space near my computer (I play my guitars through a computer interface) for two chairs. So a gaming chair with arms I can just flip up out of the way when I play guitar would be awesome. I could flip them up and play guitar while seated more properly.

Weirdly, you might need to go a bit down-market.

My chair's arms fold back and away rather than down, and it was a basic b**** one from Staples UK - similar to but a bit cheaper than this one: 

https://www.staples.com/staples-gaming-chair-black-and-green/product_2829476

It's comfy enough, but the faux-leather started disintegrating a while back. At which point I got some £8 stretch nylon covers off Amazon that made it look better than new.

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Weirdly, you might need to go a bit down-market.

My chair's arms fold back and away rather than down, and it was a basic b**** one from Staples UK - similar to but a bit cheaper than this one: 

https://www.staples.com/staples-gaming-chair-black-and-green/product_2829476

It's comfy enough, but the faux-leather started disintegrating a while back. At which point I got some £8 stretch nylon covers off Amazon that made it look better than new.

I was in Staples in our southern state city just this past weekend and saw several color variations on that exact model.  One of them, the red one, did indeed have the disintegrating faux-leather.  It was so bad, I was surprised the store had left it out as a show piece.

Hard agree. It's cheap'n'nasty stuff compared to what you'd get on a car seat. Fabric or mesh much better (especially in summer - or right now when you're going in and out of heating). The slipcovers not only stop me getting covered in little bits of black and blue tacky stuff, it's a lot more comfortable for long work sessions.

Thing is, the more expensive gaming chairs have arms that adjust up and down but not completely away, so if you were thinking about using it for guitar practice they're not completely ideal. 

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 months later

Belated thanks for the responses! For some reason, I didn't get any notifications of replies :(

I did spot a "sort of" gaming chair with fold-up arms while I was in Office Depot the other day, though they wanted $200 for it, which I don't have to spare at the moment. But I'm going to remember they have it and try to grab one when I can.

• 3 weeks later
On 12/21/2021 at 3:46 PM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Same problem here and that is a great solution I had never even thought of. Thank you so much.