What makes for a healthy game community?

Glacier Peak

37 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Numerical purity.

He said, menacingly. 

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

11 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Numerical purity.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but whenever I come across a game with perfectly balanced powers. I hate it.  I spend all my time min-maxing and never find anything that puts me ahead of the curve.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

45 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

whenever I come across a game with perfectly balanced powers. I hate it.

You have a valid point there. I am a min-maxer as well, I get a certain satisfaction competing with a player using an overpowered character while using a "commonly believed to be under powered" character and getting that "whoa" reaction.

Case in point out damaging several pug blasters while using my plants/trick arrow controller. I've literally been sent tells by a team leader who must of been friends with the pug blaster, asking if I'd slow down as the blaster wants a chance to kill things too.

If everything is perfectly balanced you end up with essentially flipping a coin and other than any masochistic statisticians who gets enjoyment out of continual coin flipping?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ignatz the Insane said:

Can you give me an example of a game that was perfectly balanced?

Chess is balanced, however skill determines the outcome.

That said I've never see an MMO perfectly balanced, although some achieve a semblance of balance on at least on an apples to apples approach as opposed to an apples to oranges approach.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but whenever I come across a game with perfectly balanced powers. I hate it.  I spend all my time min-maxing and never find anything that puts me ahead of the curve.

3 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

You have a valid point there. I am a min-maxer as well, I get a certain satisfaction competing with a player using an overpowered character while using a "commonly believed to be under powered" character and getting that "whoa" reaction.

Case in point out damaging several pug blasters while using my plants/trick arrow controller. I've literally been sent tells by a team leader who must of been friends with the pug blaster, asking if I'd slow down as the blaster wants a chance to kill things too.

If everything is perfectly balanced you end up with essentially flipping a coin and other than any masochistic statisticians who gets enjoyment out of continual coin flipping?

I am a min-maxxer (-maxer) as well, but I strongly prefer games (and real life situations) with multiple optimal outcomes (like is it -maxxer or -maxer?  Don't care!  Both are optimal based on how much you like the letter 'x'!) depending on what you're trying to achieve.  Fortunately, this game is great with letting players excel with "good enough."

Now, let's see if we can get other players to be down with being "good enough"!

Who run Bartertown?

5 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Power X should do the same base damage (affected by AT mods AND activation time,) cost the same end and have the same recharge across all archetypes.

If archetype A has 30% more overall mitigation than archetype B, it should dish out 30% less overall damage.

Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Someone has to say it so here it goes... MIN MAXING IS NOT HEALTHY FOR ANY GAME  *escapes*
giphy.gif?cid=790b76110e03f8fafa2c60ec4a

• Haha 1

Σαυτὸν ἀρίθμησον πρότερον καὶ γνῶθι σεαυτόν,

καὶ τότ᾽ ἀριθμήσεις γαῖαν ἀπειρεσίην.