What's a good tankery tanker

Doc Ranger

DM pairs well with a lot of primaries.

Ice/DM, Fire/DM and Elec/DM will all have double up end recovery and healing. Ice/, Inv/, Shield/, and Super Reflexes will all have synergy with the -To Hit in DM. And for sets that don't have a heal in them like Willpower, it's an nice set to plug that hole a little.

Is SR viable at all? I mean, you can play it, but it doesn't feels it was meant for tanking. Scaling resist with HP loss is looking for trouble in my opinion. Everything can be built to work I guess, but Super Reflexes seems like a masochist pick. Anyone played a good tank build with SR?

Im.. designing one now?  Idea is that (unlike so many other builds!), you dont go chasing every pool in the game for +DEF, cause its all there already.  You slot up to Incarnate Softcap (I picked up weave for that purpose) and then you go forth with everything missing you forever.  Take Aid Self, skip hasten, put Practiced Brawler on Autofire...  resits are running in the 25-55% range, before the 'scaling resist with decreasing health' kicks in.

Now, where the money comes in - late, late game content comes with massive DEF Debuffs.  They hand them out like candy. They are everywhere and they make baby jesus cry.  Some spawns will floor a softcap RES character flat out, leaving them with just resistances to take damage on.  SR Tanks are (if Pines is to be trusted!) very high on DEF Debuff Resistance, and can be driven to a higher starting defense - delaying or avoiding the DEF Collapse Cascade and the follow on debuffs that crush your resistance, regen, and everything else.

I'll let you know how it goes in a month or never when I get it to 50.  Going Claws for.. some good reason.  Cause I miss claws and they made it better while I was away and I like the green arm blades.  And who doesnt want good DPA Ranged Attacks on their melee toon?

I played /Sr on both scrappers and brutes, both with claws as well. This was before incarnate stuff came around, though. I used them both for A.V. hunting. I'm rebuilding my scrapper now. The scaling resists are a dbl edged sword. When you're down to 40% health, and you want to pop a green skittle, but you know the scaling resists are making you more survivable. It's a fine line to dance, my friend.

Rad/staff

Rad armor:Cap most resist. Cap all resist with near 50 ult uptime

-regen

-tohit

-def

-res can be slotted in aura

High absorb

Great heal

High Regen

Great endurance management

Staff:

-def cone attack (+melee self def). Can be slotted with -res proc

+res with combo

Aoe with KB (can slot force feedback) on short CD

aoe -res with combo

Now, where the money comes in - late, late game content comes with massive DEF Debuffs.  They hand them out like candy. They are everywhere and they make baby jesus cry.  Some spawns will floor a softcap RES character flat out, leaving them with just resistances to take damage on.  SR Tanks are (if Pines is to be trusted!) very high on DEF Debuff Resistance, and can be driven to a higher starting defense - delaying or avoiding the DEF Collapse Cascade and the follow on debuffs that crush your resistance, regen, and everything else.

I ran a Super Reflexes Scrapper for years back in the day.  The -def debuff resistance is great, and it's necessary, in a sense, in order to distinguish SR from all the "I got SR's main thing with IO sets" crowd.

Be warned that Earthquake from COT mages is flagged unresistable for some reason.  I think that's a bug -- the player powerset doesn't mention it.

Here's my thoughts on the tanks I played to 50 on Live.

Invuln - an absolutely unkillable god in issue 3 it remained good until IO's came about.  After IO's and the ability to soft cap your defenses it again became more than up to the task of tanking anything in the game.  I've rerolled my main and currently have him in the early 20's and it's quite capable in the early game on DO's and SO's.

Stone - the toughest tanker around without question once you hit 32 and get Granite Armor; a bit squishy in the early game.  The downside is poor mobility and being strongly pushed into Teleportation for travel.  Extremely durable in the end game even on SO's and becomes unkillable by nearly anything once you get a good IO build.

Fire - a bit squishy but with the highest damage output and a quick recharging heal it's quite competent throughout the game albeit not as tough as Inv or Stone.  IO's can take care of the durability issue in the late game.

Shield - as with all defense based sets it can take awhile to come into it's own but by the mid game and beyond it's pretty durable and becomes quite nice in the late game.  Shield Charge is a fantastic opener and not only grabs a lot of attention, it also knocks mobs on their butts and does good damage.

Ice - you want to be the center of attention?  Well, NOTHING will steal aggro from you even if you aren't trying.  Two taunt auras, one with a debut, make sure you always have all the mobs.  The comments on defense sets I made with Shield also apply here so it's easy to get in over your head in the early to mid game aggro wise.

Secondaries I've played are

Stone Melee - very satisfying hard hitting attacks with a nice AOE stun/attention getter.  The downside is a serious lack of AOE damage, with one minor damage exception the set is single target based.  Lots of knockdown, stun and a High damage Mag 4 HOLD in the tier 9 attack.  Downsides?  Carry blues since this sucker's gonna go through your blue bar.

Fire Melee - damage, AOE, more damage with a secondary effect of damage.  Best paired with a durable primary.

Ice Melee - minor control with minor damage.  Not my favorite set.

Energy Melee - all single target without any real advantages.  It used to be that the Tier 8, Energy Transfer, was a fast activating high damage attack that was the sole redeeming feature of the set.  Unfortunately it was deemed "too good" so the attack animation went from under 1 second to nearly 3 seconds making it worthless.  Activate the attack, stare at your fists for 3 seconds, watch your team kill the mob before your attack fires off.  The changes made me abandon a level 50 Stone/EM tanker.

That's all I come up with offhand that I played to any significant level.  Of them all my favorite was Fire Melee, I think I had 3 level 50 tanks with that.  My main, Call Me Awesome was Inv/Stone and the only Stone Melee.  I'm currently leveling an Inv/Broadsword and I'm debating on it.  I had several level 50 Broadsword scrappers so I'm familiar with the set, I'm just not sure it synergies with Inv as well as I'd thought it might.

Street Justice is a nice set that I had fun with on a scrapper and it should be a good solid option with most any tanker primary.  I've been contemplating Spines since it's so AOE focused.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Is SR viable at all? I mean, you can play it, but it doesn't feels it was meant for tanking. Scaling resist with HP loss is looking for trouble in my opinion. Everything can be built to work I guess, but Super Reflexes seems like a masochist pick. Anyone played a good tank build with SR?

I'm.. designing one now?  Idea is that (unlike so many other builds!), you dont go chasing every pool in the game for +DEF, cause its all there already.  You slot up to Incarnate Softcap (I picked up weave for that purpose) and then you go forth with everything missing you forever.  Take Aid Self, skip hasten, put Practiced Brawler on Autofire...  resits are running in the 25-55% range, before the 'scaling resist with decreasing health' kicks in.

I've halfways wanted to try an SR tank since I heard arcana talking about how good the sliding resistance is with tank base values and hp. Think that was back when it was still in beta. But to do that would require me to roll a tank, which isn't my cup.

I played /Sr on both scrappers and brutes, both with claws as well. This was before incarnate stuff came around, though. I used them both for A.V. hunting. I'm rebuilding my scrapper now. The scaling resists are a dbl edged sword. When you're down to 40% health, and you want to pop a green skittle, but you know the scaling resists are making you more survivable. It's a fine line to dance, my friend.

I ran a Super Reflexes Scrapper for years back in the day.  The -def debuff resistance is great, and it's necessary, in a sense, in order to distinguish SR from all the "I got SR's main thing with IO sets" crowd.

Be warned that Earthquake from COT mages is flagged unresistable for some reason.  I think that's a bug -- the player powerset doesn't mention it.

Here's what I did: SR/MA ... NO GET HITSU!!

WARNING:

Reading about NO GET HITSU!! has been known to have side effects.  These side effects can include ... envy, jealousy, covetousness, and feelings of inferiority about one's current life/build choices.  Please use caution before discovering the way of NO GET HITSU!!

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

"no get hitsu" also has an effective mitigation about half as good vs +4 AVs as a tanker at res cap for the relevant damage type so... y'know.  there's that.

this is why my demons/thermal mm is doing far better than defense capped mm setups vs av's that are higher level than me. I can res cap them to smashing/lethal/toxic/cold/fire. the cap for pets is also 90%. every defensive mm I've made (and defensive tank/stalker/scrapper) gets pooped on when  you increase the relative difficulty of an av battle.

There are several attack in the game that don't follow the damage-type/position composition rule. Manticore's TP Arrow is one that does it on purpose, and I'm sure there are several other, whether by design or mistake. These position-less attacks are very dangerous to SR, EA, and NIN users.

Which is why Ice is so Tankery.

not only typed defense, but also some resists against weird damage types, and a global damage resistance in the form of massive -rech.

I have always stated that Ice/ is way underrated... and proved it many times on live.

• Like 1

There are several attack in the game that don't follow the damage-type/position composition rule. Manticore's TP Arrow is one that does it on purpose, and I'm sure there are several other, whether by design or mistake. These position-less attacks are very dangerous to SR, EA, and NIN users.

not only typed defense, but also some resists against weird damage types, and a global damage resistance in the form of massive -rech.

Most of the nonpositional attacks are Psionic or Toxic, which Ice has no defense to.  I find it interesting to compare the sum total of positional Defenses between sets -- not because it's a perfect predictor of performance, but because it does give you a rough comparative effort of how difficult each set is to fill in with powers, IO sets, etc.  Summed up, enhanced, Ice has between ~114 and ~180 total Defense (depending on how many targets are hit with Energy Absorption).  Willpower has ~108.  Invuln has between ~104 and ~190, depending on targets in range of invincibility.  Stone armor has ~141 (no granite) and ~190 in granite.  Bio gives me a headache so I'm not doing it, but in Defensive Adaptation it's similar to Invuln but about ~20% lower.

I don't find these numbers to be overwhelmingly in favor of Ice to begin with, and its weaknesses become more apparent when you realize that all of these sets have significant s/l resist while Ice has none -- not even the scaling resist SR has.  Further, the two sets that Ice clearly outperforms in terms of positional defense, WP and Bio, have the easiest typed defense hole to fill (s/l)... and very, very high regen as well. 

I say all this not to condemn Ice Armor but to suggest it's rather badly in need of a tune-up.  A tanker of any primary can be built quite tough -- and certainly Chilling Embrace provides two uncommon layers of mitigation (albeit resistible, unenhanceable, and only in melee) -- but even a well-built Ice struggles to mitigate 200-300 dps while the other listed sets are often going strong at >1000.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

So stuck on numbers....

Ice is not stone. You are not prevented from moving or jumping. You do not set your feet in one place and wait for everything to hit you.

The -rech affects not only you, but the stuff that is attacking the blaster who just overburned is also slowed to a crawl.

Also, CE is not only -32% recharge (That's like having free 32% resist for anything that's within ten feet or that you passed in the last 15 seconds) but it also provides -12% DAMAGE as well, and that affects even those creatures that are slow resistant. So, with careful position and line of sight breaks (and calculating correctly, rain man) that's almost 50% resistance to EVERYTHING... simply due to doing your job right instead of standing in the middle of the room like a lump of dirt (No offense again, Stone) and begging stuff to pound on you. And I have yet to meet a GM that could do 1000+ DPS. That thousand DPS that the rest take? By the time it gets to US, it's down to easily within the 3-400 DPS we can handle. The best part? Your team has spent the entire time the baddies are slowly running towards your LOS break turning them into seasoned hamburger, still firmly stuck to you but now firmly debuffed, pushing up daisies, or with slivers of health easily within your abilities to tear apart.

So perhaps we should put down 'positioning' as a viable mitigation form with /ice... one that stone does not have access to even though it shares a similar power in mud pools. I have tanked everything live that any other Tanker has during live, and one thing that is utterly consistent is that at any one time half to three quarters of the baddies are trying to reposition themselves to melee with me. This DRAMATICALLY reduces incoming DPS, even when tanking a boss, AV, or GM.

Autistic number crunching doesn't reveal everything. Perhaps you should TRY an ice tanker in these situations (remember to move around a bit.... don't worry, everything will still be aggroed on you even if it isn't in instant melee range). In a very real way, Ice is more of a Tanktroller, and thus is extraordinarily effective at doing the two 'tankery' jobs... Mitigating damage and drawing attention from your team.

The only thing I have EVER had problems with was warwolves back in my 30's... and EVERY tanker set has a hole or two. However, assuming that your pocket calculator is the definitive authority on a set that, by definition, is designed for 'active' Tanking (No offense, stone) is like assuming that pure DPS is what makes a Blaster set, and ignoring all the other factors like mitigation, secondary effects, animation times, combos (water) or damage types (Pistol) or everything else that goes into creating a well rounded set.

And Ice is CERTAINLY well rounded, and works extraordinarily well, better IMO than any other set, at doing the tanker's primary 'tankery' job... Holding aggro and surviving it. It does not need any extra coder love to get this done, either... especially in light of what OTHER negative changes might come with such attention.

Autistic number crunching doesn't reveal everything.

Is that different than regular number crunching, or are you just sort of an ass? 

I'd like to add that chilling embrace is such a powerful herding and mitigation tool that even /ice BLASTERS often fill the tanking role, quite successfully, when a real tank is not available.

I like this point because it does a great job of highlighting the issue in your previous screed -- what you've said here is not that Ice is a great set, but that Chilling Embrace is such a great tool that blasters who have it can tank as well as Ice tankers.  Agreed.  Similarly agreed that any AT can use soft control, including positioning, to extend their survivability.  Do you see why these might actually undercut your overall argument?

This issue is clearly very personal for you.  I'm not going to change your mind with something so mundane as 'numbers' or 'evidence.'  I'm perfectly happy to trade barbs with you, but I think it ends poorly if you're going to go all 4chan about it.

In regards to Ice Armor, I have a question: do your taunt auras continue to work while you're using Hibernate?

No; you're flagged as untouchable and only affecting self, so your auras stay on but have no effect on anything else.  Because of how aggro is calculated, you will also very quickly (but not necessarily immediately) fall off the hate list for anything that was aggro'd to you.

In regards to Ice Armor, I have a question: do your taunt auras continue to work while you're using Hibernate?

No; you're flagged as untouchable and only affecting self, so your auras stay on but have no effect on anything else.  Because of how aggro is calculated, you will also very quickly (but not necessarily immediately) fall off the hate list for anything that was aggro'd to you.

Oh. Darn; I was hoping you could still taunt things while doing the whole Iceman thing.

Thank you for the prompt answer; most appreciated.

- Loranna

“Bio gives me a headache.”

Love the set, but holy crap it needs a manual - there is sooo much going on.

Amusingly, I find it harder to softcap S/L defense on a Bio Tanker than on a brute or scrapper - since in both cases you are relying on set bonuses, and the Scrapper and Brute get 5% S/L def from an ATO set - 10% if they break the set into 2x3 piece bonuses.

Still doable, you just end up leaning a lot harder on other sets.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

I like stone/stone (played one through 50 on live), but it's hard to get PUG's that are patient enough to let you tank properly (it's not really a set for speedruns).

IMHO TP is a stone/stone tank's friend -- tp foe when you want to thin things out a bit, recall friend to get back that fallen team member (I carry spare wakies if teaming), and TP itself to get right to where you need to be mid-combat with a sudden *poof*

Indomitable Heroes: Catgoyle, Toxia, Roberta XR-523, Guardian Clara, Street Cleaner, Princess Cuppycakes

Indomitable Villains: Fluffums, Freeloadin' Freddy, Beatrix the Bunneh, Cheese Thief

"no get hitsu" also has an effective mitigation about half as good vs +4 AVs as a tanker at res cap for the relevant damage type so... y'know.  there's that.

I've forgotten way to much about how this works.  Does hitting incarnate softcap (58.75?) impact that?

No; defense only reduces ToHit, not Accuracy (in PvE nothing reduces Accuracy).  The two are multiplied together, so something with 2x Accuracy will still always have at least twice the floor hit chance.

Fire, Elec, Rad and Dark are nice Resist sets (even though Dark ALSO brings some Defense)

It's actually fairly easy to cap out all but one or two of your Resist stats.

If you find yourself needing more defense, this is what your Incarnate shield or your Hybrid are for.  They'll get you over "the hump".

And if you get Defense debuffed?

Scream like a little girl as they come in, then set Phasers to BEATDOWN as you're a Resist-centric tank and they should be flogged mercilessly for forgetting this fact!

Dark makes it fairly easy to layer on Defense as well.  So, like Invuln, WP, Stone, these are decent "hybrid" sets.

Primarily Defense-centric Tanks work well too.  Just, expect them to "eggshell" every now and again as they're trading damage AMELIORATION for damage AVOIDANCE.

I wish I could recommend Stone more.  However, with the expanded IO offerings, it''s VERY hard to make a case for Stone armor anymore.

You can build several tanks to 99.99% of the toughness of a Granite tank for the entirety of the game, including +4x8 Incarnate content.

But every other tank is running around with the rather crippling tradeoffs Stone makes for it's toughness.

Now don't get me wrong.  A kitted out Stoner is a thing of absolute beauty, and generally the gold standard for Immortality.

I mean HELL!  Properly built, you can softcap both typed Defenses AND Resists while running JUST:

* Stone Skin

* Earth's Embrace

* Mud Pots

* Rooted

* Hasten

* Granite Armor

* Agility Core Paragon

With an End Drain of 0.75/sec (with Recovery at 3.6/sec)

With Regen at 456%

With Recharge at 71.3%

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Primary Power Set: Stone Armor

Secondary Power Set: Super Strength

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Teleportation

Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:40(A), GifoftheA-Run+:40(48)

Level 1: Jab -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg:50(31), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx:50(46), Hct-Dam%:50(48)

Level 2: Stone Skin -- UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(45), GldArm-3defTpProc:50(46), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(46)

Level 4: Haymaker -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(5), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(42), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(43), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(43)

Level 6: Earth's Embrace -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux:50(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg:50(7), Pnc-Heal/Rchg:50(7), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg:50(40), Pnc-Heal:50(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(42)

Level 8: Mud Pots -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(9), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(9), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(37)

Level 10: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%:50(A)

Level 12: Rooted -- Prv-Heal:50(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(13), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(17), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(19), Prv-Absorb%:50(34)

Level 14: Brimstone Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(15), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(15), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(17)

Level 16: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(A)

Level 18: Crystal Armor -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A), Rct-ResDam%:50(19), GifoftheA-Run+:40(48)

Level 20: Knockout Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(21), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(29), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(31), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(31)

Level 22: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam:50(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx:50(23), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam:50(23), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(25)

Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(25), GifoftheA-Run+:40(50)

Level 26: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(27)

Level 28: Rage -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(29)

Level 30: Minerals -- LucoftheG-Rchg+:50(A), GifoftheA-Run+:40(50)

Level 32: Granite Armor -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(A), ShlWal-Def/Rchg:50(33), ShlWal-Def:50(33), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(33), UnbGrd-ResDam:50(34), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(34)

Level 35: Hurl -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg:50(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(36), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(37), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc:50(37)

Level 38: Foot Stomp -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(40), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc:50(40)

Level 41: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I:50(A)

Level 44: Physical Perfection -- RgnTss-Regen+:30(A)

Level 47: Teleport -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)

Level 49: Recall Friend -- RechRdx-I:50(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I:50(A)

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I:50(A), Empty(50)

Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I:50(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(3), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(3)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(5)

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement

Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface

Level 50: Longbow Core Superior Ally

Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany

Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment

------------

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids' Hero Designer to view the build |

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

|MxDz;1519;706;1412;HEX;|

|78DA6594DB4F134114C667DAADD852A050CAAD944B155B28140A3C6B8C5C12B4090|

|9C4D7A6C1B134E2B6D95D137934112F6F8A1A5E54F40DF1F2E7888A775FBCA1266A|

|BCBCD4B37B3E28A69B34BFE977E6CCF9E6CCECA6CF8EF91F4D9E3B24A4FFC842D63|

|433B359FD94323CE96C2E3F27ECA78A7E6DAC66C6D449A59B2A3963157495396C9C|

|2E186184D26A4151E04C91C63396A1F49C352F6AA60B8585E4443E376FE5F59CCFF|

|9375354EA4483339CA59C62C1B0B256BEA0FB31D7D2956906C78BF9B9E4B8AE8CDC|

|62269D352D652CB6909104FD36BD024F498A901422A689412FB3DFB713D344CC254|

|44A136D7166472F73A08F3998603EA7F5A474723CF287DBD1FA7F82BFC0DFCC8161|

|B09912229A48523D3772DD8F39A66D307B9F30FB9E82CFC04DE60BAAEB41AEA79DB|

|53D11B08319EBC45A5DE01FE64BCAAD426ED579CDD1F62E811798BE8BE025E6FECB|

|CC41F2CC2D2C09AFC93D78454235D6AB7ECF35FC1FC08FCCC02766C36766F716F33|

|5E5D6F07AEE1AF4AF16FDAB45FF02E89F8B6E531D6AD72D71ED37945FCF9AABDE3E|

|4FBBC6779EBF7DAE29F21CE4399EE015DE47E3557099D97E8DD9711DBCC17453CD1|

|0FC85E0AF09FE9AE0AF05FE349ADB0C2FCDF0D21260A6E0254A735AB957B2D5BE90|

|F61D0387C9675848271686D60EBEA57D46706F23A1FFD77C47B14EF4BF7382BD744|

|D8253E051F41D7BE886E711AA19456FA26BBCE77DF7C075F03EEEC003F021739472|

|7B90DB7393B503B7C0DBE02A337607BCCB5CA5F2719C651C7B5CA78B90E07D88C44|

|17E4762D4AF24E625C3ECB987B4216843DB7DD276DE5DFAE2B0D66B6BBC5EA96F77|

|BC448F18AA505215CA4885325AA11CD3767D5106B872CA894C6B284F73257C7A03F|

|4CEB356DAF2ED7C3B8444E6D7B2E692DDB8F7C7F9BC5D537CDE5F76E7C539EF5B59|

|937285DF0D6D99F9B789803EB43696C71BC1F2B821541EAFD83A3CAE45CBE37F6A7|

|1EE4B|

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

But, with the changes in the game, and the general speeding up of the ability to cut through content, Stoners are a frickin' boat anchor.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I have to agree Hyper, I had a couple of 50 stone tanks on Live and once IO's came in and were better understood there just wasn't much point in them.  Yeah, they're tougher with less investment than anything else but the mobility drawbacks alone make them painful without a kinetic on the team.  I've been accumulating IO's for my current incarnation of CMA, this time an Inv/Elec tank, and I think I'll get the S/L softcap with around 50 million invested.  My final build will likely end up considerably higher and I'm still toying with it but some variants are softcapping S/L/E/N with F/C at 40% while also managing around 30% resists to all exotic damage including Psi (and of course hard capped S/L resistance).  That's a tank with nearly the survivability of Granite without the drawbacks.

It's still a bit theoretical since I haven't finalized a build, nor for that matter has the character reached level 25 yet.  Go figure, my first character to 50 is a blaster :'(

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

Ive got a Dark tank build lying around that standard softcaps def to positions on top of the nice, broad res and just lovely self-heal of dark.  I should really haul it out sometime.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute