What's a good tankery tanker

Doc Ranger

This build is a billion inf purple trainwreck and if I were better, it would hit those caps without using Agility and while getting perma-hasten.

My rationale, howsoever poor, is that Im aiming for 'maxium toughness' with Agility Alpha - I figure if solo swap in Musculature for more damage.

But until I can come up with something better, this is my current best attempt at 'absolutely as tough as possible short of maybe Stone, while having as much damage out as possible within the limitations of #1'.  A Brute would gain a lot more damage and not give up much toughness.  Bioarmor would gain a lot of damage and not give up much toughness.  But if 'hard to kill' is my job #1, and Im chasing 'enough damage to solo AVs' as job 2, this is the best I've got.  Someone please make a better version.  :)

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Primary Power Set: Dark Armor

Secondary Power Set: Titan Weapons

Power Pool: Fighting

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Speed

Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Dark Embrace -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(3), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5)

Level 1: Defensive Sweep -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)

Level 2: Murky Cloud -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(5), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31)

Level 4: Crushing Blow -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Dam%(11)

Level 6: Obsidian Shield -- GldArm-ResDam(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(13), GldArm-End/Res(13), GldArm-RechRes(50)

Level 8: Dark Regeneration -- NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx(A), NmnCnv-EndRdx/Rchg(15), NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(17), NmnCnv-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(17), NmnCnv-Heal(19), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(19)

Level 10: Titan Sweep -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(25)

Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%(A)

Level 14: Cloak of Darkness -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27)

Level 16: Follow Through -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(27), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(29), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(29), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Mk'Bit-Dam%(31)

Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)

Level 20: Build Momentum -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(33)

Level 22: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), ResDam-I(33)

Level 24: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34)

Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(34), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(34), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(36), Rct-ResDam%(36)

Level 28: Rend Armor -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(39)

Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)

Level 32: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(40)

Level 35: Whirling Smash -- ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(A), ScrDrv-Dmg/EndRdx(40), ScrDrv-Dmg/Rchg(40), ScrDrv-Acc/Rchg(42), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42)

Level 38: Arc of Destruction -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Arm-Acc/Rchg(43), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Arm-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)

Level 41: Mu Lightning -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(45), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(45), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)

Level 44: Ball Lightning -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(50)

Level 47: Cloak of Fear -- HO:Enzym(A)

Level 49: Soul Transfer -- RechRdx-I(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Gauntlet

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)

Level 1: Momentum

Level 50: Agility Core Paragon

Level 0: Portal Jockey

Level 0: Task Force Commander

Level 0: The Atlas Medallion

Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve

------------

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

You can't go wrong with Invulnerability.  It really defines what Tanking is about.

You have lots of Resists and lots of Defense

I am leveling my Inv/Katana tanker, and Katana is solid, even adding more Defense with Divine Avalanche, as if you need it. 

Fire, Electric Melee, Dark Melee, Titan Weapon, SS, Spines are all great powersets.  There are probably others.

Invuln is great, but WP and Shield perform at least on par with it and better in some areas.

Shield - Better Def that is positional with more -def resist, added damage, and Shield Charge

WP - Of course has a massive increase in Regen, is better against Psi (but worse in Def and Resists to Elements & Energies)

And Dark too, Dark can hit resist cap to everything but Energy and Toxic.  Even then it can get 60% +.  Dark also has a crazy Heal, and control with Oppressive Gloom, and Cloak of Fear.  But Def is only in the 30's with no -def resist

My i23 experience is that Willpower absolutely required Tough and Weave, and would struggle with alphas before they were in place.  Invuln is at least functional without them.  I dislike the fighting pool, mostly because it requires taking a throwaway attack.  At least it frees a couple slots.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

And invuln doesn't take Weave? 

That 8% Def gap is a big number to fill...you can't assume you'll always be surrounded by 10 foes.  That would mean AV fights would put Invuln at a bigger disadvantage defensively compared to the sets previously mentioned.

I think we have to stop and at least nod to the altar of overcap defense and DDR.  I will say that yes, a tank may be resist and thus ‘not need’ defense, but I have seen mobs crash my bioarmor’s Defense (not hard, no DDR) and then the same storm of attacks that crushed my DEF also apparently carried -RES as well..  I have see my DEF hit -100, RES shortly after, and I usually see the floor and then the hospital right afterwards.  There is a nearby thread discussing piling RES into an SR tank - there is at peast a possibility that with a confluence of such, you could get an unimaginably tough SR tank.

Much of this is, of course, theorycraft - with Tanks, the question seems more to be ‘at what level do you become so tough that it stops mattering for 90% of what you do’, along with ‘what of that remaining 10% or less do you pick as your problem content’, ‘how much of that 10% can you make go away with incarnates and IOs’ and ‘at what price and with what aide benefits from your set’

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute