Need advice: Dark/Sonic/?

Guffnat

I could use some help and advice on a Dark/Sonic/? build.

What I want:

Dark: all powers except Petrifying Gaze (since I prefer the -Res in Screech) and Black Hole.

Sonic: not sure if I want Siren's Song and Amplify. If I could fit one of them in I would prefer Siren's Song.

Overall: Solid support through -Res and -ToHit combined with good survivability. I love cones! So far I've been having a lot of fun with Fearsome Stare into Howl (plus Shockwave if needed)

What I don't want:

More pets besides Fluffy

Undecided:

I'm not really familiar with Defenders APP/EPP and don't know if I must take one? Lately, I have seen a lot of support builds that don't use them or just take one of the armors.

I'm just starting to figure out Pines and reading tutorials on how to make a build. So far I am lvl30 atm and running with all available powers + hasten, combat jumping, recall friend, maneuvers, and tactics.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

I had a dark/sonic on live that was my most powerful character.  Made impossible things possible, and difficult things easy.  Very good power sets.

I took the hold because six-slotted with Lockdowns it could sometimes hold a boss on its own, and inevitably someone else on the team would have a hold, so I could help with holds.  I did also take Screech though, and prefer using it to the hold.

For an epic, I took Dark Mastery, partly because of Screech.  Oppressive Gloom meant I could just move next to a boss, hit Screech, and it would be stunned.  The minor damage to self meant nothing, as I used Twilight Grasp as part of my rotation.  I think I took all five powers.  The armor was a place for KB protection if nothing else, the self rez was super useful, Soul Drain + the nuke is good, and Dark Consumption I didn't use much but it was nice to have in case of sappers or too many Carnies.

I did take Tactics and Manuevers, very useful to make sure you can hit.  Dark loses most of its power if it can't hit.  Maneuvers helped me get near softcapped ranged defense.

Siren's Song is sort of useful.  It's another cone -res, I think, and it's good for dealing with ambushes.  Also, the purple sleep set is cheap.

Thanks a lot for your insights, Gorgar! I'll gonna have a closer look at the hold. Do you by chance have an old build flying around?

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962

http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 49 Magic Defender

Primary Power Set: Dark Miasma

Secondary Power Set: Sonic Attack

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Teleportation

Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Hero Profile:

Level 1: Twilight Grasp -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Shriek -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Tar Patch -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Howl -- Empty(A)

Level 6: Scream -- Empty(A)

Level 8: Howling Twilight -- Empty(A)

Level 10: Shadow Fall -- Empty(A)

Level 12: Fearsome Stare -- Empty(A)

Level 14: Darkest Night -- Empty(A)

Level 16: Shout -- Empty(A)

Level 18: Petrifying Gaze -- Empty(A)

Level 20: Hasten -- Empty(A)

Level 22: Super Speed -- Empty(A)

Level 24: Maneuvers -- Empty(A)

Level 26: Tactics -- Empty(A)

Level 28: Siren's Song -- Empty(A)

Level 30: Shockwave -- Empty(A)

Level 32: Dark Servant -- Empty(A)

Level 35: Screech -- Empty(A)

Level 38: Dreadful Wail -- Empty(A)

Level 41: Oppressive Gloom -- Empty(A)

Level 44: Dark Embrace -- Empty(A)

Level 47: Soul Drain -- Empty(A)

Level 49: Recall Friend -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)

Level 1: Vigilance

Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Health -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina -- Empty(A)

------------

Here's what I came up with... no slots and no enhancements yet. Just to have an overview which skills I want to take. How did you manage to fit in all 5 powers from Dark Mastery? Did you cut Hasten, Super Speed or Recall Friend? I think all of them come in very handy.

back in the days: Zukunft (EU) ... nowadays: Everlasting

Sorry, no build.  I don't use Mid's.  I just evaluate what works as I'm levelling up and plan the respec in my head, sometimes taking a couple shots at it before I commit.

I may not have taken all five powers from the epic at the same time.  I did respec a few times.  I never took Super Speed, and I didn't always have Hasten, especially while levelling.  Definitely had Hover and Fly, and an earlier version had Hover, Recall Friend and TP.  Pretty sure I usually skipped Shockwave and used Siren's Song in place of it.  I know I never took Assault or Vengeance.

Probably at this point if I make it to 50 again I'll skip Shockwave, maybe Aim, Dark Consumption, Dark Embrace.  Possibly Soul Drain, as I'm really there to add team damage more than my own.  Don't know if I'll make room for Recall Friend either.  Taking all of Dark Miasma except Black Hole is a given, and I'd never skip the single target sonic blasts or Howl or Screech. 

If there's room, of the powers I said I'd skip, I'd prioritize Soul Drain, then Dark Consumption or Dark Embrace.  I don't usually like skipping powers like Aim, but I do six-slot Tactics with Gaussian's, and I found I usually had too much to do on a dark/sonic to allocate time and attention to remembering to fire off Aim when it's up.