Returning Mastermind Bind file help.

Umbradomo

Returning Mastermind from the olde days. >; >

I'm looking for some help with load files. I'll post the main ones below and I hope to get some help on what changed to make them not work anymore.

The main load command finally works - 
/bind_load_file C:covbinds\thugs\thugs.txt but I get an error message when I try to load the other parts.

thugs.txt file -

numpad0 bind_load "C:\covbinds\thugs\all.txt"
numpad1 bind_load "C:\covbinds\thugs\thug.txt"
numpad2 bind_load "C:\covbinds\thugs\enforcer.txt"
numpad3 bind_load "C:\covbinds\thugs\brute.txt"
divide powexec_name thug
multiply powexec_name enforcer
subtract powexec_name brute
add powexec_name equip thugs
numpadenter powexec_name upgrade equipment

And this is where the error message pops up, when I press any of the starting loads 0-3 etc.

Usage:bind_load takes 0 args, you gave 1. 
Reads a list of keybinds from <INSTALL DIR>/keybinds.txt.
bind_load

Any help would be greatly appreciated. MM without binds is much harder since they are not working for me atm.

Thanks

Your thugs.txt file has bind_load instead of bindloadfile.

For MMs I like to use 1,2,3 to summon my pets at my feet. You could do it old school and do 3 binds for each power

/bind 1 "powexec_location self call thugs"

/bind 2 "powexec_location self call enforcer"

/bind 3 "powexec_location self call bruiser"

If you prefer to bind tray locations instead of specific powers, you lose the ability to do powexec_location. This means you will need to create a macro, then drop that macro at the tray location and then you can use the tray location bind to drop pets at your feet, or whatever else that you need the powexec_location command with. That's a bit more complicated to set up but ultimately does the same thing as binding powers directly to a key. The benefit of this is that if you decide to use other tray positions for those macros or powers you don't need to create new binds.

Side note:

You don't really need bind files to do what you are trying to do, you can bind keys directly. And you don't really need the complicated numpad binds stickied at the top of this forum either. You need up to 4 possible commands, petcomall goto, petcomall defensive follow, petcomall attack and lastly petcomall follow passive for those moments when you don't want your dumb pets to chase something across an entire map and aggro everything. Everything else is nice to have, but entirely unnecessary. I find that your pets tend to live longer if you don't let them exercise their crappy AI, better to tell them what to attack and focus fire.

There is one scenario where I actually do use bind files. I use them to rotate between the two upgrades with a single key.

This is a continuation of my preference to bind tray locations rather than specific powers. So here's the background info you need, I have both upgrades assigned to my power trays, one is at the 9th position on the 3rd tray, and the other is at the 9th position on my second tray. I only want to assign 1 key to execute either upgrade, and that's where bind files come in.

default bind file that you have to load manually once:

Thugupgrade.txt

b "target_custom_next mypet alive$$bindloadfile d:/binds/thugupgrade2.txt"

(this bind will target a pet that is alive for pet upgrades when I press "B")

Thugupgrade2.txt

b "powexectray 9 3$$bindloadfile d:/binds/thugupgrade3.txt"

(this bind will execute the 9th power on the 3rd tray when I press "B")

Thugupgrade3.txt

b "target_custom_next mypet alive$$bindloadfile d:/binds/thugupgrade4.txt"

(depending on where I am with the bind file loop I may need to reorient and select my pet for buffing again, this does that and the last bind file will execute the other upgrade)

Thugupgrade4.txt

b "powexectray 9 2$$bindloadfile d:/binds/thugupgrade.txt"

(This looks like thugupgrade2.txt but the difference here is that I'm executing the 9th power on the 2nd tray, and resetting to the first bindfile)

The result, when I press B when I have my pets out, it'll target a pet, execute both upgrades with consecutive presses, and it will loop back and never get "lost in the loop"

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

Ok I think I updated the various files but they still aren't working. Not getting error messages, but pressing any of the buttons gives 0 results.

Load start file:

/bind_load_file C:covbinds\thugs\thugs.txt

thugs.txt

numpad0 bind_load_file "C:\covbinds\thugs\all.txt"
numpad1 bind_load_file "C:\covbinds\thugs\thug.txt"
numpad2 bind_load_file "C:\covbinds\thugs\enforcer.txt"
numpad3 bind_load_file "C:\covbinds\thugs\brute.txt"
divide powexec_name thug

all.txt

numpad4 petcom_all aggressive
numpad5 petcom_all defensive
numpad6 petcom_all passive
numpad7 petcom_all attack
numpad8 petcom_all follow
numpad9 petcom_all goto
lctrl+decimal petcom_all dismiss

Again thanks for any help that makes these work. Not trying any other MM types until I can get this fixed.

It's not working because you only created a bind file for all pets, and not for the individual tiers of pets? Did you hit numpad 0 first before trying all the numpad4-9 commands?

Like I said that kind of complexity is not needed. If this were a turn based game those bind files to switch between different tiers of pets might have some use. The game moves a lot faster now and even back in the days I doubt people had the mental or physical dexterity to micromanage their pets and make split second decisions using those binds. Let me drag that example out: Are you really going to have the time to hit numpad 3 to command your bruiser to do something, then hit numpad 2 to command the enforcers to do something, then hit 1 to command your thugs to do something else? ALL THE TIME? If you are on a good team by the time you finish that mini game the rest of the team would have already mowed down most stuff. If you are on a bad team and things are not going well that kind of micromanagement is going to end up getting you killed.

That numpad guide has some nice technical info, but as a tool for MMs it's a relic of the past. Sounds good on paper with all the options and permutations of the art of the possible, but in application grossly complex and unnecessary.

Keep it simple - the petcomall commands are all you need.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

I guess I'll have to look up how to manually do each bind by hand. I just remember this old system working just fine as far as setting stance, goto etc.

The new part was only the summon and empower parts.

Back to the drawing board for me. After lunch I guess I'll have to do more research and typing.

🤔

The guide tells you to create 4 bind files, 1 to control all the pets, and 3 others to control each tier of pets. What I'm saying is that you don't need those 3 other files to control each tier of pets. It's overkill.

You can still write every command you need into a single bind file, combine selected contents of thugs.txt and all.txt into a single bind file:

Thugs.txt

divide powexec_name thug

numpad4 petcom_all aggressive
numpad5 petcom_all defensive
numpad6 petcom_all passive
numpad7 petcom_all attack
numpad8 petcom_all follow
numpad9 petcom_all goto
lctrl+decimal petcom_all dismiss

I'd go as far as to clean up the numpad4-9 commands and consolidate them into a few that you will actually use, from 6 down to a core of 3:

1 - petcomall defensive follow (for activating bodyguard)

2 - petcomall attack

3 - petcomall goto

Optional commands include
4 - petcomall aggressive (I seldom let pets just go aggressive because their dumb ai will get them in trouble more often than not, it's better to focus fire and kill each target quickly rather than letting them each tackle something different and giving each target more time to retaliate)

5 - petcomall passive follow (for when you absolutely need to yank back your dumb pets from chasing something they should not be)

If you want to dive a bit deeper and further consolidate your list of binds you can tie some of those pet actions to other binds. I tie my petcomall defensive follow command to sprint, so each time I turn on or turn off sprint it'll re-align their stance back to defensive follow. I also tie their attack command to my personal attack, so they attack whoever I'm attacking. My default bind file for all masterminds has these entries:

x "powexename sprint$$petcomall defensive follow"  (I use the x key to turn on/off sprint)

g "powexectray 1 3$$petcomall attack" (First power in tray 3 is my personal attack, and when I activate it all the pets attack the same target, also, if you have no powers assigned to that slot in tray 3 the pets will still attack your target)

I find using WASD or whatever your convention is for controlling your character AND using the numberpad to control pets cumbersome (when you need to command pets you will take your hand off the mouse and use the numberpad and then get back to using the mouse?). So I have all my binds close to my movement keys and I use shift+keys a lot as well. In that respect less is more, and my experience with MMs tells me you don't need a bazillion binds to control your pets.

• Like 1

Jezebel Delias

I am the Inner Circle!

To follow-up with the above excellent advice, also bear in mind that resummoning pets is dirt cheap, with drastically lowered recharge and endurance costs. In an action economy and increasingly faster modern game, pets are cannon fodder on a team. There is usually something better to do with your fingers and attentional bandwidth than micromanaging pets. 

• Thanks 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.