Contest: Make Sonic Resonance Relevant!

Yomo Kimyata

The seas are cold and lonely. Especially so when you're a sailor-drowning abomination from the deepest, darkest depths. Is there forgiveness to be spared for a sad siren singing for salvation?

Pros:
*Tough's a mule! 
*Your standard softcapped r/e/n defence and overcapped s/l res! (impossible to debuff s/l resistance, if needed, with tough on.)
*School of sharks can lock enemies at range, leaning into r/e/n defence caps.
*Hibernate both doubles as an endurance management tool and a panic button.
*Supports sonic resonance's lesser-loved control and debuffs with ice blast's often overlooked debuffs and controls.
*Liquefy+Blizzard= - 70% tohit and a lot of knockdown. A very bad day to be an enemy of the sea.
*Defender procs add a nice slice of extra survivability to a support set that has a single layer of mitigation.
*Good team player - the team shields reach at least the second ED wall, defender manoeuvres is a blessing, and optional assault and vengeance leans harder into sonic's -res.
*Exemplars down to 20 well. 
*Sacrificial coralax!
*Shark minions!
*Doesn't need incarnates to function!

Cons:
*Sonic resonance's biggest problem, in my opinion, is its endurance consumption. Going for combat jumping over hover, turning tough into a mule, and slapping hibernate onto there helps, but doesn't fix it entirely.
*Skips four sonic resonance powers. I'm sorry, I don't like them!
*Going sixteen levels with only one attack is sad.
*Favours team play over solo play. That's going to happen with a set that has only one self-affecting power. But with mez, softcaps, and resistances, it'll still have a good time soloing a good slice of content.
*Freeze Ray's apocs need a boosting to cross the 145% accuracy threshold for purple conning enemies.

I originally made this build for a casual levelling premade with my villain group, where we'd just spam mayhem missions from 1 to 50. I was mainly aiming for theme and synergy. I generally hate leviathan mastery because it's so hard to make work with most themes, but for a siren, it's the perfect pick. I also suspect that the mezzes in ice will shore up sonic's one-dimensional defenses, in a way that feels puzzle-like and challenges the mind to consider the best angle of approach for every engagement. I hope this build is fun for you regardless of its performance in the contest.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Defender
Primary Power Set: Sonic Resonance
Secondary Power Set: Ice Blast
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Sonic Barrier -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(A), RctArm-ResDam:40(15), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(34), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg:40(34)
Level 1: Ice Bolt -- SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprDfnBst-Dmg/Rchg:50(3), SprDfnBst-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(3), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(5), SprDfnBst-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(5), SprDfnBst-Rchg/Heal%:50(7)
Level 2: Sonic Haven -- GldArm-3defTpProc:30(A), RctArm-ResDam:40(37), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(37), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg:40(40), UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(46)
Level 4: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB:50(A)
Level 6: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(7)
Level 8: Disruption Field -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 10: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%:50(A)
Level 12: Sonic Dispersion -- RctArm-ResDam:40(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(13), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(13), RctArm-EndRdx:40(15)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Freeze Ray -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(17), Apc-Acc/Rchg:50(17), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx:50(19), Apc-Dam%:50(19), UnbCns-Dam%:50(34)
Level 18: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(A), RctArm-ResDam:40(43), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(45)
Level 20: Ice Storm -- Artl-Acc/Dam:50(A), Artl-Dam/End:50(21), Artl-Dam/Rech:50(21), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech:50(23), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng:50(23), Artl-End/Rech/Rng:50(36)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), RedFrt-Def:50(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx:50(31), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg:50(33), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(46), RedFrt-EndRdx:50(46)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP:50(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx:50(25), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(27), Rct-ResDam%:50(45)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 28: Bitter Ice Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg:50(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx:50(29), Thn-Dmg/Rchg:50(29), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(31), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(37)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 32: Liquefy -- BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold:30(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg:30(33), Acc-I:50(33), EndRdx-I:50(45)
Level 35: Shark Skin -- RctArm-ResDam:40(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(36), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(36)
Level 38: Blizzard -- SprVglAss-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), SprVglAss-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(39), SprVglAss-Rchg/+Absorb:50(39), Bmbdmt-Dam:50(39), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg:50(40), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End:30(40)
Level 41: School of Sharks -- Artl-Acc/Dam:50(A), Artl-Dam/End:50(42), Artl-Dam/Rech:50(42), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech:50(42), Artl-Acc/Rech/Rng:50(43), Artl-End/Rech/Rng:50(43)
Level 44: Summon Coralax -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg:50(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg:50(47), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx:50(47), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(48), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg:50(48), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets):50(48)
Level 47: Hibernate -- Prv-Absorb%:50(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A)
Level 1: Vigilance 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(9)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(11), SynSck-EndMod:50(11), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed:50(49)
Level 4: Double Jump 
------------

Edited by Katharos
  • Thumbs Up 1
26 minutes ago, Katharos said:
29 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:
On 3/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, Katharos said:

why isn't sentinel bioarmour's athletic regulation getting a look?

Oversight, it will be addressed in the next build.

Oh no. Oh god. What have I done? 

• 2 weeks later

For me there are two reasons I have so many Sonic Resonance toons.

1. Mez protection
  2. It's not FF

I accept all the ways the set lacks because I love me some mez protection.  Sucks against Rikti though because they render your largest team contribution useless.  My favorite so far is Earth/Sonic controller.  I made it because I wanted a sturdy anchor for my -res power (forget the name) when solo.  Quite fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

Thank you everyone!  Happy Year of the Tiger!

Theme aside, let's ask what makes Sonic Resonance special when compared to, say, Force Field (which is the closest analogue, but resistance rather than defense)?  Both sets protect your pets/teammates with shields and mez protection.  Both sets have a "time out" button, and both sets have a "get away" button (on caster for FF, on another for SR).  But what distinguishes SR from FF in my  mind?  Two aspects:  the ability to debuff opponents; and the need to have a friendly target.  

I enjoyed all the submissions, thank you!  First, the consolation prizes:  500mm to @roleki (pass)(for making me laugh), @ZorkNemesis (paid), @Luminara (paid), @Ajax (paid), @arcane (paid), @Psyonico (paid), @Dorhain (paid), @Ukase (pass), and @JasperStone (paid).

I initially thought that Necro/Sonic MM was going to win, and I went so far as to start one.  I figured that I could put the golden hula hoop on one of the melee pets, and put the Sonic Repulsion on the Lich (who I would put on Aggressive Follow?)  Then I leveled up to about 18, and realized I really don't like masterminds enough to really dedicate myself to it.  Teen Idol is a former Disney popstar who is known for her rabid followers.  I'm splitting 1bn between @Redletter (paid) and @723wolf (paid), 500mm a piece.

@Nemu (paid), you had me at Whirlwind.  1bn for you and for some good ideas.

I had an Earth/Sonic controller (Techtonic Drift, a tech-oriented seismologist) on Live, and it was really a great synergy.  Rocky is virtually invulnerable and a good buddy.  But I didn't want to remake that.  1bn for @Spaghetti Betty (paid) for coming in with that first.  (Grav/Sonic was under consideration, but Singy is already basically invulnerable and there's already too much knockback there.)

The grand prize of 2bn is going to @Katharos (paid)!  My only quibble is that I'm inclined to make it as a Corruptor rather than a Defender.  Despite the weaker buff/debuff numbers, I like the idea of not wasting a pick on Ice Bolt, and maybe get a little scourge love out of the DoT powers.  I'm going to go with this through the Coralax pet, but isn't 44 a little late for a pet?  So here's where I'm stepping out of the box.  I've opened some Winter Packs in my day, and I've got over 1k Build Snow Beast temp powers.  Not for long.  Introducing Kang Admi, a Nepalese goatherd who was bitten by a radioactive yeti!  [EDIT:  already taken!  Wow!  Just Kangmi then!]  I'll start out in Praetoria and summon a snow beast for every mission until I run out or get bored!

Please let me know if your global name is different from your forum name here, either on this thread or in PM, and I'll send you an email with your well-deserved loot!

Happy hunting!

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Who run Bartertown?

I'm not generally a fan of corruptors, but there is a really strong argument for playing that build on one -- Blizzard is one of the few nukes that can scourge after using it as an opener. Since it will keep ticking and rolling for scourge over its entire duration, it doesn't matter if enemies have 100% health when you use it. Compared to one shot nukes like inferno, where using it at max health is sad damage and using it in the scourge window is overkill with a lot of wasted damage, Blizzard's just perfect for the corruptor inherent. 

Thanks for hosting. This was a super fun contest and I loved seeing how everyone approached the question. Fingers crossed for more contests like this in the future.

26 minutes ago, Katharos said:
29 minutes ago, Captain Powerhouse said:
On 3/16/2021 at 4:10 PM, Katharos said:

why isn't sentinel bioarmour's athletic regulation getting a look?

Oversight, it will be addressed in the next build.

Oh no. Oh god. What have I done? 

I feel Sonic is, or is meant to be, the midway point between Force Field and Thermal.

It does have a few things Thermal doesn't have. IMO it's let down by its T9 though. 300 recharge 30 duration. The strength of the power power doesn't justify the low up time. There are other powers I can see that could use a buff, but Liquefy stands out for having unique effects that aren't present enough to really make an impact. 

20 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

[...]

I enjoyed all the submissions, thank you!  First, the consolation prizes:  500mm to @roleki (for making me laugh)

[...]

Let that be a lesson to all you people who looked at what I wrote and said "Well, there's somebody who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about." 

In the end, it was all worth it.

• Haha 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

The people youd put sonic repulsion on rarely get into melee to use it. The people in melee will have several mobs on them draining you to nothing in no time since you cant redux the cost of a hit just of the toggle.

The shield needs sleep protection. The defense bubbles have defense to help you not get hit by a stray sleep. Sonic doesnt have that luxury.

I have zero idea what the tier 9 is it does so little

The tier one needs to be an aoe like poisons main debuffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xenosone said:

The people youd put sonic repulsion on rarely get into melee to use it. The people in melee will have several mobs on them draining you to nothing in no time since you cant redux the cost of a hit just of the toggle.

The shield needs sleep protection. The defense bubbles have defense to help you not get hit by a stray sleep. Sonic doesnt have that luxury.

I have zero idea what the tier 9 is it does so little

The tier one needs to be an aoe like poisons main debuffs.

I will never EVER understand how sonic doesn’t have sleep protection. It’s like the most obvious thing (can’t fall asleep due to noise). Ugh.

I’d probably even expand sonic to include psi and say it like deafens psionic frequencies 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Thank you everyone!  Happy Year of the Tiger!

Theme aside, let's ask what makes Sonic Resonance special when compared to, say, Force Field (which is the closest analogue, but resistance rather than defense)?  Both sets protect your pets/teammates with shields and mez protection.  Both sets have a "time out" button, and both sets have a "get away" button (on caster for FF, on another for SR).  But what distinguishes SR from FF in my  mind?  Two aspects:  the ability to debuff opponents; and the need to have a friendly target.  

I enjoyed all the submissions, thank you!  First, the consolation prizes:  500mm to @roleki (pass)(for making me laugh), @ZorkNemesis (paid), @Luminara, @Ajax, @arcane (paid), @Psyonico (paid), @Dorhain (paid), @Ukase (pass), and @JasperStone.

I initially thought that Necro/Sonic MM was going to win, and I went so far as to start one.  I figured that I could put the golden hula hoop on one of the melee pets, and put the Sonic Repulsion on the Lich (who I would put on Aggressive Follow?)  Then I leveled up to about 18, and realized I really don't like masterminds enough to really dedicate myself to it.  Teen Idol is a former Disney popstar who is known for her rabid followers.  I'm splitting 1bn between @Redletter (paid) and @723wolf, 500mm a piece.

@Nemu (paid), you had me at Whirlwind.  1bn for you and for some good ideas.

I had an Earth/Sonic controller (Techtonic Drift, a tech-oriented seismologist) on Live, and it was really a great synergy.  Rocky is virtually invulnerable and a good buddy.  But I didn't want to remake that.  1bn for @Spaghetti Betty for coming in with that first.  (Grav/Sonic was under consideration, but Singy is already basically invulnerable and there's already too much knockback there.)

The grand prize of 2bn is going to @Katharos (paid)!  My only quibble is that I'm inclined to make it as a Corruptor rather than a Defender.  Despite the weaker buff/debuff numbers, I like the idea of not wasting a pick on Ice Bolt, and maybe get a little scourge love out of the DoT powers.  I'm going to go with this through the Coralax pet, but isn't 44 a little late for a pet?  So here's where I'm stepping out of the box.  I've opened some Winter Packs in my day, and I've got over 1k Build Snow Beast temp powers.  Not for long.  Introducing Kang Admi, a Nepalese goatherd who was bitten by a radioactive yeti!  [EDIT:  already taken!  Wow!  Just Kangmi then!]  I'll start out in Praetoria and summon a snow beast for every mission until I run out or get bored!

Please let me know if your global name is different from your forum name here, either on this thread or in PM, and I'll send you an email with your well-deserved loot!

Happy hunting!

I just noticed this, I am actually working on a build and wouldn't mind the inf influx! Thanks so much!

My global is: @Mythical Creature

• Like 1

<Witch> of Everlasting

<Mythical Creature> of Excelsior
Global Name: @Mythical Creature
"Monsters are real and they look like people." - Unknown

18 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Still need to hear from @Luminara, @Ajax, @JasperStone, and @Spaghetti Betty as to where/if they want me to send their prize inf!

My in game global is the same as my forum handle. Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!