Can We PLEASE Dispense With the Dancing Warwolves?

EyeLuvBooks

Back on Live it was discovered that some players were farming Warwolves for the relevant badge. I'm not sure why this particular group was singled out but whatever. Back then, the Devs decided in their infinite wisdom to fix the problem by making Warwolves virtually impossible to Slow by any means.

Now that we're in the Sunset phase of the game and it's no longer run by money-hungry corporate overlords, can we PLEASE turn this off? It makes me crazy that an entire effect type of the game (Slows, not sure about Immobs and Holds) are ineffective against this one type of enemy.

Who cares if the badge gets farmed anyway? What difference does it make now?

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 3

I don't think there is, inherently, anything wrong with Warwolves being immune to Slow and Immobilize effects.  And they're hardly the only enemies immune to certain effects; getting around such things is part of intended strategies.  There is, however, some great deal of annoyance that stems with how they seem to be programmed to deliberately run as far as they can if hit with powers that cause such effects, though.  That's probably unnecessary, but digging so deeply into the AI programming might not be viable.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I don't think there is, inherently, anything wrong with Warwolves being immune to Slow and Immobilize effects.  And they're hardly the only enemies immune to certain effects; getting around such things is part of intended strategies.  There is, however, some great deal of annoyance that stems with how they seem to be programmed to deliberately run as far as they can if hit with powers that cause such effects, though.  That's probably unnecessary, but digging so deeply into the AI programming might not be viable.

The programming aspect is a valid point but I would at least like to see the topic reviewed. I've never seen another group behave this way when being affected by powers that are intended to do the opposite.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

35 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

There is, however, some great deal of annoyance that stems with how they seem to be programmed to deliberately run as far as they can if hit with powers that cause such effects, though.

I have no clue about the code or anything, but from my anecdotal experience, they just run for any reason whatsoever. You'd think a melee heavy mob with only one range attack would just close in to try and stomp you, but no. They jog around half the map first, and jog in and out of melee range. 

• Like 3

I enjoy the chaos of rambunctious puppies running all over the place like you've just asked them "wanna go outside, huh boy?" 

I view it as one of those things that throws a wrinkle into the usual steamrolling and takes some consideration.

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

you, good sir, have obviously never tried to hold A REAL werewolf. Their behaviour in-game is as expected and is honestly one of the most realistically-emulated ones I've seen so far.

I've never seen another group behave this way when being affected by powers that are intended to do the opposite.
May I introduce you to my friend Romulus over here... wait, where did he go??? Romy! Git back here.

Edited by Six-Six
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

I feel it's not the slow resistance as much as it is the massive bonus to running speed they get. Igneous also share this. Maybe if their speed was normalized, it wouldn't be as annoying. As a side note, fighting these mobs is one of the few instances where Caltrops is really, really bad.

• Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

4 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

How about when you stun Crey and they wander off stunned at about a million miles an hour?

That's a game engine artifact. If a mob has movement queued, and it gets stunned, the stun doesn't interrupt the movement, so they'll stagger off in the 'stunned' pose at whatever movement rate they normally use -- which, for the Crey tanks, is significant. I think that getting stunned should interrupt any queued action including movement, replacing it with the slow 'stagger' movement, but I suspect that changing the movement code for that would be an ugly dive into what is likely to be a pile of spaghetti code.

13 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

How about when you stun Crey and they wander off stunned at about a million miles an hour?

No, we're good.  That's what they do.  If you want to farm xp, make an xp farm in AE.

Wow...assume much? You're right...if I wanted to farm I'd go to the AE and farm.

I DON'T which is why I made this thread. I WANT to be able to use my powers as intended. Slow powers are supposed to, you know, SLOW things. I can see if fliers would be unaffected by any of the various 'patch' powers because that should be a benefit to Flight. 

I formly resent your implication that I want this changed because I want to farm anything. I want it changed because it's dumb and unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

Wow...assume much? You're right...if I wanted to farm I'd go to the AE and farm.

I DON'T which is why I made this thread. I WANT to be able to use my powers as intended. Slow powers are supposed to, you know, SLOW things. I can see if fliers would be unaffected by any of the various 'patch' powers because that should be a benefit to Flight. 

I formly resent your implication that I want this changed because I want to farm anything. I want it changed because it's dumb and unnecessary.

I'm truly sorry you are offended.  One of the reasons I mentioned AE is so you (I think) can make custom enemies that don't resist the things that your character was specialized to do.  Heck, make enemies that have -50% resistance to whatever damage type you use.  That would seemingly solve your problem and wouldn't harm anyone else.

Or, you can just choose not to fight the enemies that are too vexing for your play style.  That would also seemingly solve your problem and wouldn't harm anyone else.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Who run Bartertown?

6 hours ago, EyeLuvBooks said:

On 12/28/2021 at 11:24 PM, EyeLuvBooks said:

Who cares if the badge gets farmed anyway? What difference does it make now?

I admit I assumed you wanted to farm from your comment directly above.  And if you don't want to farm, great, I don't understand why you're so annoyed about it.  Fight other enemies. 

Who run Bartertown?

Let's make those pesky robots have -50% RES to Psi damage too, those vexxing sillies!

• Like 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Perhaps not exactly what the OP is talking about, but the warwolf "dancing" I've seen seems to be the result of the size & shape of their models combined with the collision-detection preventing them from fitting into the space they were trying to move into (when you are fighting other mobs at the same time). So they bounce off and run around trying to align with a space they can get into.

• Like 1

(BTW, it occurred to me that "farming werewolves for the relevant badge" is pretty much just playing that one Striga Isle TF, maybe doing a bit of grey hunting outside too; I almost always get that badge that way)

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I swear if and when I ever really learn to create content for AE I'm going to make phasing, sapping, knockback happy, super quick and speedy, teleporting, highly damage resistant, immune to all mez (except one randomly selected mez --> need to appear reasonable) with a bunch of autohitting debuff auras who defend a mob the PCs must rescue and lead out to safety whose rescue triggers near endless waves of ambushers (same stats) they (the hostage) will attack on sight with Brawl.

Any suggestions on annoyances I've missed?

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I swear if and when I ever really learn to create content for AE I'm going to make phasing, sapping, knockback happy, super quick and speedy, teleporting, highly damage resistant, immune to all mez (except one randomly selected mez --> need to appear reasonable) with a bunch of autohitting debuff auras who defend a mob the PCs must rescue and lead out to safety whose rescue triggers near endless waves of ambushers (same stats) they (the hostage) will attack on sight with Brawl.

Any suggestions on annoyances I've missed?

Put it on the biggest layer cake map you can find and add a strict time limit.

Mind you, don't expect anyone but a demented fool to PLAY that mission.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

Put it on the biggest layer cake map you can find and add a strict time limit.

Mind you, don't expect anyone but a demented fool to PLAY that mission.

Damn of course, Purple caves with layer cake, lava floors and fog (thinking of the SS TF).

Edit:  wonders if down sloping icy floors (towards the lava pits) and a good -fly power (unresistable) goes a bit beyond annoying.

Edited by Doomguide2005

If possible, make it two rescues and give one of them a "+stealth" aura power like Steamy Mist... So that the other hostage (and maybe they themselves, too-)  constantly loose track of the hero rescuing them and have to be re-collected any time said-hero gets more than two feet from them.  

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

Advocating for a People's Republic of Workers?  Looking to nail down a script for "Wolfnail & I"?

• Haha 1

Go have fun!