Anyone know how to farm incarnate shards?

redendermen

12 hours ago, redendermen said:

recently I've been starting to fill out my incarnate powers, and I've been frustrated at how frigging rare these things are, does anybody know how to farm them?

I run the Weekly Strike Target to get a Notice of the Well and break it down.

As for the option of just using threads for everything, I do a blend.  Typically, I'll use shards for the T1 Alpha, threads for T2, then shards again for T3.  I don't want to use all threads since I want to immediately get T3 in Lore and Destiny for the level shifts as soon as I unlock them.  I generally slot Lore and Destiny before Interface and Judgement.

Then, since the shards are going to keep accumulating, I end up using shards to get my T4 Alpha - if I'm actually going to bother with T4 on that character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On this issue, I am a contrarian.  I have over ten incarnate characters, and they all have used shards for their alpha.

Notes:

1. It is an advantage to build up your alpha with shards, leaving threads for the other five incarnate powers.
  2. The "two currency" argument ignores the original design.  IIRC, shards dropped in any non-incarnate play, and threads only dropped during incarnate play.  Incarnate powers unlocked during any play.  Players demanded an end-game system, and IMO this was a good design for a commercial game with a large player base.  All level 50s could earn their alpha tiers, even during low-population hours.  They weren't forced to play incarnate content.  Dedicated players desiring to max-out their characters had strong incentive to play incarnate content, though, significantly extending the end-game advancement of their characters.
  3. The "threads drop a lot more often than shards" statement is true, but ignores that one shard is equivalent to five threads.
  4. Many of my incarnates did use threads to help get their alpha power to tier 3, activating the primary +1 level shift good anywhere, so long as your character is effectively level 45 and above.  (The other two level shifts are only active during incarnate play.)  However, they all used shards to reach tier 4.
  5. One shortcut is to use Vanguard Merits.  150 of these can be used to buy a Gr'ai Matter component, a very common component to many alpha tier levels.  As soon as you turn 35, see Levantera to do her intial "Introduction to Vanguard" arc.  This is very quick, and makes you a member of Vanguard, regardless of alignment.  Once a member, Vanguard Merits begin dropping as you and your team defeat Rikti.  When you get a chance, take part in a Mothership Raid.  These will grant you over 1000 Vanguard Merits.  You will have enough to buy as many Gr'ai matters as you need on your way to tier 4.  They are bought at a Vanguard Kiosk within the RWZ base.
  6. If level 50, the Lady Gray TF grants another common alpha component, Hero 1 DNA Sample.  (The Wiki says you have to be at least 45 to run this now, not 35.)  Of course, both these common components can be made with 4 shards each, but it's nice to not need to spend them if you don't have to.
Edited by cohRock
  • Like 1

-- Rock

7 minutes ago, cohRock said:

If level 50, the Lady Gray TF grants another common alpha component, Hero 1 DNA Sample.

You can get all the common components from content (except the G'rai Matter, which you mentioned).

In case anyone doesn't know this:

Penumbra of Rularuu - Cathedral of Pain

Dimensional Keystone - Dr. Kahn TF or Barracuda SF

Ancient Nictus Fragment - Imperious TF

Essence of the Incarnate - Ms. Lib TF or Lord Recluse SF

• Like 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

1 hour ago, Ironblade said:

You can get all the common components from content (except the G'rai Matter, which you mentioned).

At least back on live, getting these components was an alternative to reward merits. Been a while since I've run any of them, so Homecoming may have changed it.

I don't seek shards, and thread components are so much easier to come by. But the ones that drop, I do use until I get my Alpha made (running WSTs for Notices as needed); usually that makes both t3 abilities and sometimes the second t1.

• Like 1

Playing on Excelsior. Champion forever.

50s: Placta • elec/elec blaster // Rye Lily IV • mind/psi dominator // PLACT-A • bots/ff mastermind // Danielle Connelly • elec/elec dominator // Acme Coin Rink • ice/cold controller // Yin Blazer • psi/wp scrapper // Chalky Webs • db/sr stalker // Ultra Lance • kin/en scrapper // Eye Shell Coda • elec/elec tanker // Mind Wanna Fly • psy/emp corruptor

Others: Virtual Lines • peacebringer • 43 // Favours Green • plant/nat controller • 39 // Clear Corn Ion • elec/storm controller • 34 // Hum a Crypt • claws/regen scrapper • 29 // By Her Ant • psy/ment blaster • 24 // Clean a Hall Arch • shield/sword tanker • 19 // Paler Vow • ninjas/ta mastermind • 10 // more...

16 hours ago, Greycat said:

Yeah, I pretty much ignore them, honestly, and wish they'd just get folded into threads.  ITF used to be "the thing" to farm for them, as I recall.

Same here. I am sitting on a stack of them and not sure what I want to do with them.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

This is a fun mix of "shards are pointless and there's nothing to do with them," and "here's how to get shards are what they are for." 

😁

• Haha 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

18 hours ago, Ironblade said:

This is something I wish were added to the information in the LFG. As in - instead of just stating 40 merits and an Astral or 10 threads, but also include OR Essence of the Incarnate. 
The space is cramped, but I think they can find a way to include it.  

• 2 years later

You can use shards to create Favor of the Wells and Notice of the Wells and the parts that go into creating those. So they do have a purpose in constructing incarnate powers if you, for some reason, don't want to do trials.