The view in my valley this morning

Luminara

4 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I can't find Waldo

This was the first heavy snow in four years in this area.  A lot of branches and trees came down (it took me two days to clear a path to the nearest road).  Sadly, Waldo had attempted to build a small debris shelter, to ride out the storm, under one of the trees that toppled under the weight of the snow.

He dead now.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

That sounds like you are pretty remote Luminara. It's a wonder you have internet access!

In some ways, I envy you living there, but I'm afraid I'm not a good enough planner to live where I can't run to the store to get what I need for dinner tonight.

6 minutes ago, Hardship said:

That sounds like you are pretty remote Luminara. It's a wonder you have internet access!

It's not central Australia or the forests of Alaska, but it is about as remote as one can be in the continental United States without squatting on federal park land.  There's a Verizon cell tower just close enough for me to pick up a two bar signal, so I've got a stable data connection through a pre-paid phone.

20 minutes ago, Hardship said:

In some ways, I envy you living there, but I'm afraid I'm not a good enough planner to live where I can't run to the store to get what I need for dinner tonight.

Neither was I, but necessity dictated learning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

• 4 weeks later

In North Central Ohio and in a Level 3 Snow Emergency at the moment. This of course complicated by having a large Older Home with no off street parking, ick. Not looking forward to tomorrow morning. You can have my snow if you want it @Bill Z Bubba. If I could get my hands on that Whistle Pig..........

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

• 1 month later
On 2/3/2022 at 9:23 PM, Marine X said:

a Level 3 Snow Emergency

Is that an actual thing or just a colorful descriptive? If it is, how high does the chart go and how are the ranks defined?  Southern boy asking.  I spent 3 winters in Indianapolis back in the late 90s, but don't recall any meterings other than "20 inches" for the blizzard of Dec 31, 1998.  

17 hours ago, Techwright said:

Is that an actual thing or just a colorful descriptive? If it is, how high does the chart go and how are the ranks defined?  Southern boy asking.  I spent 3 winters in Indianapolis back in the late 90s, but don't recall any meterings other than "20 inches" for the blizzard of Dec 31, 1998.  

It is an actual thing: Only 3 Levels, and this is in Ohio, not sure if other states have something similar.

Level 3: Only Emergency Vehicles, Utility Vehicles or Those in transit to Essential Positions ( Hospital Workers, Fire Dept, Public Utilities, etc ) are permitted on the roads, failure to comply can result in fines, arrest or both.

Level 2: It is strongly suggested that Citizens avoid unnecessary travel due to road conditions, but if they must, they are urged to use caution.

Level 1: Roads may be icy or snow covered, drivers are urged to use caution.

• Thumbs Up 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X