Low frame rate on new premium RTX 3080 gaming laptop

Heliopause

Just got a $$$ premium gaming laptop with RTX 3080.  Struggle to get 20 FPS on ultra settings.  My modern MMO games easily get 60 FPS on ultra settings.   Any know issues and resolution for my situation?  Thanks.  All drivers are updated and no other tasks are eating up big resources.  Please do not suggest I should lower my graphic settings.  Thanks

Yeah, that's not it then.

There are a slew of things it could be. You may want to reduce graphics just to see if you can get the FPS up and then add one setting in at a time to figure out the offender.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

There's also a tech forum for these kinds of things. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Sounds like you may be running in software rendering mode. Try to find a driver from your OEM or NVidia itself that specifically supports OpenGL. Many manufacturers don't bother to look out for OpenGL. 

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

• 3 weeks later
On 1/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, Heliopause said:

Just got a $$$ premium gaming laptop with RTX 3080.  Struggle to get 20 FPS on ultra settings.  My modern MMO games easily get 60 FPS on ultra settings.   Any know issues and resolution for my situation?  Thanks.  All drivers are updated and no other tasks are eating up big resources.  Please do not suggest I should lower my graphic settings.  Thanks

You probably need to switch City of Heroes to run the correct graphics card. Windows thinks the game is old enough that you can run it on integrated graphics instead of your 3080, and with ultra settings that's not strictly true.

Note that this is no longer done in the Nvidia control panel. To do it on Windows 10:

Search 'graphics settings' in the start menu.

Under 'choose an app to set preference', select Browse.

Go to \bin\win64\live in your CoH install folder and select cityofheroes.exe.

Click City of Heroes, make sure 'High Performance' is checked and that the GPU selected is your 3080.

I'm not sure what the process is in Windows 11.

Edited by Solvernia
  • Thanks 2