Worst builds?

Branr

12 hours ago, plainguy said:

I think you guys are off base here.

I think they have it exactly right. A petless MM is basically a Defender with worse everything.

12 hours ago, plainguy said:

No one knows what anyone's build is when they are running some incarnate content EG ITF, Tin Mage

Or League content EG BAF for example

No one is looking at each or any toons for the most part and inspection the verbiage of their set bonus and determining how many times the word huge appears in set bonuses this context. 

[...]

Because again no one cares ( except maybe you guys ) if the content is being cleared. The only time someone will complain is if your failing.  

None of that matters when considering the given problem: finding out the worst build out there. My Ill/Cold Controller can solo the LRSF, so even if the worst possible build joined my team, we would still complete it and it would most likely be faster than me just soloing. That still doesn't make the worst build possible not the worst build, it just proves that given capable teammates, you can complete anything even with the worst build possible, which is one of the things I really like about CoH. I don't have to care about anyone else's build or performance, because it usually has no impact on me. In so many other games I've played, a bad player joining a team means you fail or at least have an unnecessarily rough time which makes people salty and toxic. Here I can just raise my eyebrows at odd builds and wonder if the player actually enjoys playing something like that and then continue gaming salt free because their build doesn't matter to me.

• Like 2

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

19 hours ago, Call Me Awesome said:

The worst I ever played personally was a Stone/EM tanker post nerf.  I leveled the character in issue 7 maybe, pre-ET nerf anyway, and it was only marginal then.  Once the nerfs hit her I shelved the character... the only level 50 I ever stripped and abandoned.

There's lots of combinations with no synergy, kinetic/energy blast or vice versa for example, but that Stone/EM was the worst I played.

Some of the best combinations I've run?  Broadsword/Shield scrapper, Fire/Energy Manipulation blaster, Dark/Dark Defender, Illusion/Radiation controller, Fire/Radiation controller and several others.

Call Me Awesome sounds familiar....were you on Guardian server?

2 hours ago, EmmySky said:

Call Me Awesome sounds familiar....were you on Guardian server?

I was indeed.  Hami tanker back in the old days and many other roles.  I think the only AT I never had to 50 was a MM.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Call Me Awesome said:

I was indeed.  Hami tanker back in the old days and many other roles.  I think the only AT I never had to 50 was a MM.

Ahhah!  You were a tank on blueside I was @MiniatureMenace and a slew of alts....nice to run into some familiar names!

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program! (Sorry to hijack the thread)

On 6/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, KittyEmpress said:

Regen/Energy Melee tanker

What do you mean, this is for joke builds that don't take any actual powers, and instead intentionally gimp themselves by avoiding good options?

This is legitimately the worst power combo in the game, most likely - Regen is an atrocious defensive set built entirely on a one trick pony with little to no mitigation of its own, and Energy Melee got continually nerfed - it was nerfed in i4, i7, i10, briefly buffed in i11 to i7 levels, nerfed in i12, i14, and I think i16. It's just terrible, one of the worst damaging melee sets in the game across all archetypes.

Energy Melee's saving grace was always Energy Transfer for its incredible damage to activation time. It made it all worth it for the solid ET -> TF combo.. until they murdered it. 

As for regen, I have a soft spot for it and a pretty crazy build for it. I'll look and see if I can find it. I think I had it almost 800hp/s without IH on. I could be off on those numbers, though. It was crazy being able to tank alpha strikes.

On 8/10/2019 at 2:04 AM, Remidi said:

Even worse, the True Healer build - all empathy powers, only the required secondary starter power, the Medicine pool, any pool with team support powers, and never, ever any power that did damage.

Which is funny, cause when I play my emp I hardly ever get to DPS since people are too busy ignoring fight mechanics and aggro management, and I have to be a heal bot.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

On 6/4/2019 at 3:13 PM, doc_miller said:

Petless MM.

This.  My first 50 on Live was a Bots mastermind, and I have no patience for folks who don't want to play a MM properly.  I put tons of effort into making binds and using them, and understanding the AI and interactions of all my pets.  If you're just goofing off by yourself, fine, but lordy don't inflict that nonsense on anyone else by asking to join a team.

On 6/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, Branr said:

There are a ton of threads out there with many ideas of “best” builds, with the general consensus being “play what you like”, which I completely agree with. My question is are there any combinations of archetype/power sets out there that many people think are the worst builds?

Right now I have two 50's and my slotting is totally random, almost.  Both my builds need a serious once over and respec to fix.  Now that Mids is working again I'll have a chance to do that, but there's no way I can figure stuff out without that program, my brain is just dumb.  So I think my AT's are OK, but my power choices right now are pretty sad.

You can do well with petless MM, but it is only justifiable if the attacks are only available through the pet set. In general, it is a bad idea (but I will not dis the whip).

• Like 1

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 8/15/2019 at 7:11 PM, EmmySky said:

From 2005 to 2010 I ran a storm/energy defender.  Had to solo to catch up to my (ex) hubby who was maybe 20 when I was 1.  Nobody wanted me on a team cuz 'not a healer' and melees hated me for knock back.  It was miserable.  Then I figured out how to play her well and people figured out I could play her well but...still miserable to 50 amd beyond.  Will never take storm or energy again on any char ever!

You should honestly do a /storm controller instead. En with Hover can work. I had a hardcore one up til 41.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

You should honestly do a /storm controller instead. En with Hover can work. I had a hardcore one up til 41.

Mini ended up fantastic at 50..powerful for a team, but grinding that kinda made me hate storm....

Right now I am enjoying scrappers, brutes and sentinels...dealing massive damage!  But I may revisit storm in a controller when I feel brave lol

On 8/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, Darkesyde said:

A week doesn't go by that I don't run into either a tank without taunt, a blaster without snipe, or a ws/pb without a second form.  

Human Form peacebringers are generally considered the best, actually. >_>;

11 hours ago, Moka said:

Human Form peacebringers are generally considered the best, actually. >_>;

I know ran into one the other day, wondered for a moment what they were going for, then I played with them, best peacebringer experience I've had.  Maybe the team made it better, a defender, 2 corrupters, 2 brutes, a controller and a blaster. I know they had access to the dwarf and the squid, but never used them.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:44 PM, kiramon said:

Necro/Poison is a miserable experience for leveling for what it's worth...

Can't keep pets alive, cant have end, cant do anything but resummon xD

I made one of these, I liked the concept/theme but like you said.  I was just horrible, I didn't get far with it.

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

• 4 years later

Sorry to rez an old post, but I love making worst power combination builds into workable builds.  I came here looking for "bad build" ideas and left with fond memories for the old days.

JackWolfe: "Plus who can forget the joy of running Steel Canyon @ level 5 to try to get to the costume shop?"

WIN!

Remidi: "Even worse, the True Healer build - all empathy powers, only the required secondary starter power, the Medicine pool, any pool with team support powers, and never, ever any power that did damage."

My first 50 was emp/rad fender with all the healz.  And I rp'd it on Freedom.  That was when someone kicked me from their team with "Heal and shut up--go to Virtue to RP!"  LOL.  I branched out to Virtue after that to make an ill/rad troller called Decoy.  That said, Nurse Goodbody was always in demand to heal and rez on Freedom Hami runs from 2008 to 2012.

Uun: "A month or two ago I was teamed with Pool Boy. He was a defender, but only took the required powers and all his attacks were from the pools. He had it IOed out the wazoo."

Back on live, we used to try to build and play the worst builds.  I remember teaming with a Pool Boy.

My worst power combo was my first toon, a grav/emp troller on Justice in 2007.  It was my first go at an MMO.  Because I didn't really know how to team, I made no friends. Grav/rad troller wasn't a great choice for this newb.  I deleted it and rolled a emp/rad fender, Nurse Goodbody, on Freedom.

2 hours ago, American Decoy said:

Sorry to rez an old post, but I love making worst power combination builds into workable builds.  I came here looking for "bad build" ideas and left with fond memories for the old days.

unforgiven

• Thumbs Up 1

Not even close to the worst, but I played an ice melee scrapper to level 40. It is pretty unsatisfying. The attacks just don't feel powerful. Your best attack is DoT and you just wave your hands at the enemy as blue stuff comes out. The set has the crunch of soggy cereal. Lots of mitigation potential but just a boring snooze fest. Takes awhile to get your good AoE attack (tbf, at least you're not SS where you get your ONLY AoE at the end, even if FS is godly). 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:39 PM, KittyEmpress said:

Regen is an atrocious defensive set built entirely on a one trick pony with little to no mitigation of its own

With Tanker modifiers, all you would need is Tough to get to about 43% Sm, Le; 20% to everything else with SOs.  With cheap IOs you could easily get that to capped Sm, Le; 35-45% for the rest.  With a lot of healing and regeneration on top of that that scales with Health, I don’t think it would be as bad as you think.   Regen doesn’t even need to be particularly click heavy unless you want it to be.

On 9/2/2023 at 4:27 AM, Psi-bolt said:

With Tanker modifiers, all you would need is Tough to get to about 43% Sm, Le; 20% to everything else with SOs.  With cheap IOs you could easily get that to capped Sm, Le; 35-45% for the rest.  With a lot of healing and regeneration on top of that that scales with Health, I don’t think it would be as bad as you think.   Regen doesn’t even need to be particularly click heavy unless you want it to be.

Do Tankers get Regen? 

12 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

No.  Because regen numbers are such that, unless it is killed by a fast pulse damage, will be effectively immortal.

This is true.  If Tankers ever got Regen, I would build for Smashing, Lethal and Energy resists.  Most of the end-game "alpha strikes" tend to come from one of those sources.  I think by the midgame a Tanker Regen character with some investment would be great.