City of Heroes "lifehacks"

What's your favorite clever little trick to make life easier for you in ways that may not have been intentionally designed?

When I'm selling enhancements, recipes, salvage, etc. at a vendor, before I start I like to open the Auctionhouse and drag any purple recipes, PVP recipes, or anything else I don't want to sell by accident, into temporary storage there. I don't list it, I just put it in storage.

Then I can go to the vendor and click sell-sell-sell-sell secure in the knowledge that I won't accidentally sell something I don't mean to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

You get six costume slots.  You have unlimited for free costume tailor sessions as long as you do it before level ten.  BEFORE Level Ten. 

Create multiple costumes for your character during creation and save them.  When you get to Miss Liberty, do a quick run through to save them in the slots. 

Then do your DFB runs for quick leveling.

Addendum

The Icon Employee (or Facemaker) in the back labled “Surgeon” can let you change height.

• Like 3

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.

The AH doesn't inform the buyer what the sellers are asking. Nor does it inform the sellers what the buyers are offering. What it does instead is it matches the lowest selling price to the highest bid and tells people what the last 5 or 6 sales went for. This makes market manipulation nearly impossible since if you try cornering the market and posting for obscene amounts of Inf you'll never make a sale, while constantly getting undercut by people with more reasonable pricing.

So, where is the life hack? You can ensure rapid sale of most things on the AH by posting it for 10 Inf. This is high enough to make a profit (assuming it was gained as a drop rather then bought). But low enough that it's the most likely one to get sold to the highest bidder. I've used this method reliably both on the official servers and here in Homecoming to make bank even at low levels with common recipes and salvage.

If you're patient you can also get most anything on the AH incredibly cheep. This works in a similar fashion to the selling trick. Post a bid for a low but reasonable amount. For common salvage and level 15 generic IO recipes I tend to bid 500 inf each. Then just wait a while. This works particularly well if there's thousands (or millions) of the item listed for sale, and hundreds of bids just sitting there due to the sellers wanting unreasonable amounts. Someone (like me) will come along and post what you're bidding on cheep, and if you're patent you'll be able to snag what you want/need this way.

Heck, I've seen 'last five sales' listings showing rare salvage getting sold for 1 inf before due to everyone always listing rare salvage for tends of thousands of inf, except someone who listed it for 1 inf to try making a quick sale. Since the minimum AH fee is 5 inf, I'd recommend posting for 10 inf at minimum if you wish to make a profit.

• Like 1

Confusion

"Confusion steals XP" is the opposite of the truth: YOU are stealing XP when a confused enemy attacks. When you're beating down +4 bosses you can either get 100% of their xp and have it take 60 seconds to kill them or you can get 80% of the xp and have it take 30 seconds to kill them. This adds up to a non-trivial increase in the rate at which you can gain XP and gather resources.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Confusion steals XP" is the opposite of the truth: YOU are stealing XP when a confused enemy attacks. When you're beating down +4 bosses you can either get 100% of their xp and have it take 60 seconds to kill them or you can get 80% of the xp and have it take 30 seconds to kill them. This adds up to a non-trivial increase in the rate at which you can gain XP and gather resources.

^^ THIS ^^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Confusion

Thank you! I still have the scars of people not understanding confusion last decade.

• Like 2

Pro Tip:  One of the things that the SCORE team changed, thanks to many many MANY requests from players, is that you can NOT accidentally vendor a purple recipe.  Try it -- you can't sell them to the NPC vendors at all, they don't show up as an option to sell.  It was pretty much determined that NO ONE would EVER want to sell one of those at vendor prices.

Now, accidentally selling other recipes that you meant to keep, you're on your own there....

• Like 6

What's your favorite clever little trick to make life easier for you in ways that may not have been intentionally designed?

Before I start up the game, I tie my wife and kids up and lock them in the basement...

...does that count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
I'm out.

I find it strangely ironic that after I posted that, I realized that my Influence had hit 143, which is my hero Mr. Roger's favorite number because it represents the number of letters in "I Love You".

7OQGcmY.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
I'm out.

/bind f "pow_exec_name fly"

/bind lshift "pow_exec_name teleport"

/macro Nova "powexec_name Bright Nova$$goto_tray 9"

/macro Nova "powexec_name White Dwarf$$goto_tray 8"

/macro human "powexec_toggleoff Bright Nova$$powexec_toggleoff White Dwarf$$goto_tray 1

Those are my big hacks of the moment.... will add a super speeder in a bit.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

Learn to make binds.

Team select, Target nearest, turn on Sprint AND SS or Ninja run, bodyguard mode on MMs. Homecoming also added some bind options that weren't in the original game,  like the ability to target a location-based power on a selected friend or foe. This can make placing a Tar Patch or Rain of Arrows way, WAY easier.

By the way, you can run Sprint, combat jumping and SS or SJ. Yes, it does help unless you're at the speed cap somehow.

You can also edit the chat tabs, which I think is something people have forgotten.  If you never want to see the Help channel, get rid of it.

One for me is simple:  /bind b powexec_name Aim  /bind n powexec_name Build Up

Quick, rapid fire boosts without needing to go to your tray to hunt them.  Both keys are easily thumb accessible if you use WASD controls, but far enough to avoid accidentally tapping.

If you need to quickly hit certain skills as clutch moments... like say Regen...

/bind q powexec_name Reconstruction  /bind e powexec_Name Dull Pain

Some risk of fat fingering, but makes it very quick to use those skills in intense situations, provided you don't use the default Q/E camera controls.

I love that life hack that clears your powers tray after you do a respec since it defaults to fill up your tray with anything and everything.

....how do you do that again?

Simply /cleartray

So this is somewhat Mastermind specific but for them I recommend having two commands either bound to convenient keys or set as macros:

/petcomall passive follow

/release_pets

The first one makes your pets stop attacking and return to you, the second just unsummons them all. I find having both of these readily available is useful when I want to get my pets out of the way.

• Like 1

Defender Smash!

I get superjump on a lot of toons - it feels like Hulk Parkour trying to hit rooftops and powerlines to maintain maximum altitude :D

I set JKL keys as start jump, stop jump and turn off superjump - it's super effective

J "powexectoggleon Super Jump$$up 1$$autorun 1"

K "powexectoggleon Super Jump$$up 0$$autorun 0"

L "powexectoggleoff Super Jump"

• Like 1

Learn to make binds.

Team select, Target nearest, turn on Sprint AND SS or Ninja run, bodyguard mode on MMs. Homecoming also added some bind options that weren't in the original game,  like the ability to target a location-based power on a selected friend or foe. This can make placing a Tar Patch or Rain of Arrows way, WAY easier.

By the way, you can run Sprint, combat jumping and SS or SJ. Yes, it does help unless you're at the speed cap somehow.

You can also edit the chat tabs, which I think is something people have forgotten.  If you never want to see the Help channel, get rid of it.

I'd love to know how to do this!

You get six costume slots.  You have unlimited for free costume tailor sessions as long as you do it before level ten.  BEFORE Level Ten. 

Create multiple costumes for your character during creation and save them.  When you get to Miss Liberty, do a quick run through to save them in the slots. 

Addendum

The Icon Employee (or Facemaker) in the back labled “Surgeon” can let you change height.

THIS

I soooo shoulda done this...

Addendum

THIS

There's also a 'Surgeon' in the Tiki room at Pocket D.

Addendum

THIS

There's also a 'Surgeon' in the Tiki room at Pocket D.

and in the Vanguard base. I believe she can change your body dimensions.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.