City of Heroes "lifehacks"

On 6/6/2019 at 3:35 AM, Marshal_General said:

Or you can search the old forums for the popmenu that you can make a macro button that will allow you to open a menu to do all of them.

Or you can use the \k costume change window and they're in a drop-down.  Granted, if there's one or two you really like, using a /macro is probably best.

Game icons (Google Doc):
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uHUi6BWFTYj4wbfGBs3LjZL88Fym6B-8EwDr18YZcY8/edit#gid=852710698
Incarnate Pets (Google Doc):
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tmuk9Jf-NxhSE2P1RB6wRtn-qUDvwqpV_10B9QAAinE/edit#gid=652000662

ACCOLADES:

CUSTOM FONTS:

My Movement stuff:

Spoiler

#### Sprint Toggle (usually have a Stealth IO in sprint, so this toggles that, as well):

/bind SHIFT+W "powexec_toggleon Sprint$$powexec_toggleoff Sprint"

-= OR =-
/bind SHIFT+W "powexec_toggleon Prestige Power Slide$$powexec_toggleoff Prestige Power Slide"

#### TRAVEL BINDS (I use the same key ` and t across alts):
@@ SJ / CJ typical:
    /bind ` "powexec_name Super Jump$$powexec_name Combat Jumping"     (CJ last, as it will be first.  Game reads binds from Right to Left)
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Super Speed$$powexec_toggleoff Super Speed"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Beast Run$$powexec_toggleoff Beast Run"
    /bind T "powexec_name Steam Jump"

/bind T "powexec_toggleon <jetpackname>$$powexec_toggleoff <jetpackname>"

@@ Only SS, simple:
    /bind ` "powexec_toggleon Super Speed$$powexec_toggleoff Super Speed"

@@ Magic Pool Fly:
    /bind ` "powexec_toggleon Mystic Flight$$powexec_toggleoff Mystic Flight"
    /bind T "powexec_name Translocation"

@@ Natural Pool Jump:
    /bind ` "powexec_toggleon Mighty Leap$$powexec_toggleoff Mighty Leap"
    /bind T "powexec_name Takeoff"

@@ NO TRAVEL, NO CJ version (cheap bastard):
    /bind ` "powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"
    /bind T "nop"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Beast Run$$powexec_toggleoff Beast Run"

@@ NO TRAVEL, have CJ version:
    /bind ` "powexec_name Ninja Run$$powexec_name Combat Jumping"
    /bind ` "powexec_name Beast Run$$powexec_name Combat Jumping"
    /bind T "nop"
@@ HOVER and NINJA RUN:
    /bind ` "powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleon Hover"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Hover"

@@ HOVER and FLY:
    /bind ` "powexec_name Fly$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run"
    /bind ` "powexec_name Fly$$powexec_name Hover$$powexec_toggleoff Beast Run"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Afterburner$$powexec_toggleoff Afterburner"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Ninja Run$$powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover"
    /bind T "powexec_toggleon Beast Run$$powexec_toggleoff Beast Run$$powexec_toggleoff Fly$$powexec_toggleoff Hover"
@@ HOVER and Mystic Flight:
    /bind ` "powexec_name Mystic Flight$$powexec_name Hover"
    /bind T "powexec_name Translocation"

@@ RECALL FRIEND:
    /bind R "powexecname Recall Friend$$tell $target, TP Incoming..."
    /bind CTRL+R "powexecname Recall Friend$$say TP Incoming for $target!"

#@#@ Movement Piggy-Backs @#@#
   /bind w "+forward$$powexecauto Hasten"
   /bind a "+left$$powexecauto Ablative Carapace"
   /bind d "+right$$powexecauto Practiced Brawler"
   /bind s "+backward$$powexecauto Ageless Radial Epiphany"

(obviously, replace with any power you want to "auto" - it takes some getting used to, and if you're a tank or melee and standing there wailing on some AV, remember to move or manually click the powers)

Also, clicking on certain NPCs walking around Atlas (or wherever) will give you some feedback, based on what letter their name started with:

Spoiler

***** Civilian NPCs (Name starts with...) *****
E     Current time on the server. This will vary by the server's physical location.
F     Paragon City Time
G     Total number of heroes in the current zone or "There you are! There's never a hero around when you need one!"
H     Civilian says "Isn't (Name of hero in current zone) just the best?"
M     Your total hours in game on your current character.
N     Civilian says "You've gone on patrol XXX times."
O     Civilian says "You've been on patrol for xx minutes today." The time resets with every mission.

At one time, civilians that started with the letter J would inform you how many times you have used a power that day and civilians that started with the letter K would inform you how much damage you have done with a power that day, but this no longer seems to be the case. 

All of the $variables that I've found:

Spoiler

In-Game variables, use in chats, macros, etc.

(ex:  /macro Hi "say Hello, my name is $name, and I am a Level $level $origin $archetype fighting as a $side, using $primary and $secondary!" 

would return:  Hello, my name is r0y, and I am a Level 50 Natural Blaster fighting as a Hero, using Fire Blast and Devices!  )

$name
$archetype
$level
$primary
$secondary
$battlecry
$side
$origin
$target
$server  (this is a funny one, always returns the same internal IP?)

GET OUT OF MISSION/TEAM:   /teamquitinternal  or  /requestexitmission 1

POPMENU BADGE CHECKER!   /macro B "popmenu badgelist"
    (badgelist.mnu in CoH\data\texts\English\menus\)   As Seen in this thread:   

Multiple Monitors (that are not the same resolution)?  Dual Boxing?  No problem!  Save your UI and macro them so you can change monitors!

@@ SAVE WINDOW parameters/options:  /wdw_load, /wdw_save_file <path>, /wdw_load_file <path>
    /macro_image Brawling_ComboLevel1 w1 "wdw_load_file w1.txt"        (this is my smaller UHD monitor)
    /macro_image Brawling_ComboLevel2 w2 "wdw_load"                         (this is my main, 32" 2K monitor)
    /macro_image Brawling_ComboLevel3 Map "wdw_load_file map.txt"   (I customized my UI making the map huge, hiding most of my bars, etc. so I can vidiot-map badge/plaque hunt)

Once you have your UI set for that monitor, use the /wdwsavefile <path\name> and plug that into whichever macro.  I like the Brawling Combo buttons, as they're nice big "1" "2" and "3"

One key INSPIRATION CONVERTING via SPAM!

Spoiler

*** One-Key Combining Inspirations into REDS ***
    (T1, T2, T3 - all w/ no rez/breakfrees, I always turn those off @P2W).  Make three (3) text files in <CoH Directory>\data (ex: E:\Games\CoH\data) called SRed.txt, MRed.txt, and LRed.txt - each containing the single keybind (Numpad 0, if you want another key, change it in the files) below:

SRed.txt:
    NUMPAD0, "inspcombine Catch_a_Breath Enrage$$inspcombine Insight Enrage$$inspcombine Luck Enrage$$inspcombine Respite Enrage$$inspcomine Sturdy Enrage$$bind_load_file MRed.txt"

MRed.txt:
    NUMPAD0, "inspcombine Take_A_Breather Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_rage$$bind_load_file LRed.txt"

LRed.txt:
    NUMPAD0, "inspcombine Second_Wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Robust Righteous_Rage$$bind_load_file SRed.txt"

*** If you turned off T1 (small inspirations), then use these two (2) text files:  (I also always turn off Tier 1's, too)
MRed.txt:
    NUMPAD0, "inspcombine Take_A_Breather Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Keen_Insight Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Good_Luck Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Dramatic_Improvement Focused_Rage$$inspcombine Rugged Focused_rage$$bind_load_file LRed.txt"

LRed.txt:
    NUMPAD0, "inspcombine Second_Wind Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Uncanny_Insight Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Phenomenal_Luck Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Resurgence Righteous_Rage$$inspcombine Robust Righteous_Rage$$bind_load_file MRed.txt"

Now, in your keybinds.txt file (default game directory, not the in the .\data directory) add this to your file:
    NUMPAD0, "bind_load_file MRed.txt"   (you can also just type it in-game:  /bind NUMPAD0, "bind_load_file MRed.txt" )

This is just a kick-off.  Now, in game, when you SPAM the 0 key on the numberpad, it will convert ALL tier 2's (that you have 3 of) into Reds.

Press it again and it will convert ALL tier 3's (that you have 3 of) into Reds.  Nice.  Spam Numpad0 and you're golden.  Gotta have at least 3 to combine.

Edited by r0y
  • Like 1

Not sure if this has been covered yet.

1. Key-mapping is available thru menu>options>key-mapping tab.

I use the numpad and bind powers to numpad0-9 tray 1

RightShift numpad0-9 takes are powers in tray 2

RightCtrl numpad0-9 powers in tray 3

I started this during live as I did not do binds or macros yet and I save as my default. When I roll a new hero I then load them, ready to go in minutes.

I set up almost everything thru this tab. and put powers in consistent slots across all my characters. Travel powers are in 0, Shift 0, Ctrl0. Healing goes in numpad 5 etc .....

2. Master Mind binds are already made for you.

In the pet window all those buttons are drag-able to a tray. From the whole group down to each individual pet, those commands are can be dragged to a tray. Complete control in minutes. 

I then use the Key mapping window and the goto tray section to access them

• Like 2

/e poofgone

2 hours ago, JasperStone said:

I use the numpad and bind powers to numpad0-9 tray 1

RightShift numpad0-9 takes are powers in tray 2

RightCtrl numpad0-9 powers in tray 3

A KINDRED SPIRIT! (Although I use the left alt and left ctrl.) So many people think I am weird because I fire all my powers off the numpad.

• Like 1

• 6 months later
On 5/16/2020 at 7:11 AM, Peacemoon said:

*As such low levels can make good money selling enhancements, as they have very low crafting fees and people can buy their low level enhancement ‘concepts’ as attuned or high level variants as desired, which lets them make millions.

I'm not seeing this effect in-game. My level 5 has the same crafting fees as my level 50, for workbench or any other kind of recipe. They also have the same AH fees. In what way does a lowbie have an advantage as a crafter? They have less storage, less merits and less ability to generate them; and the only means of income they have is crafting and auctions. I have to give them converters or they have to buy them off market at a markup. If anything they seem like a worse choice than a 50.

Am I missing something, or did the lowbie benefits change since the post was written?

42 minutes ago, Furiant said:

I'm not seeing this effect in-game. My level 5 has the same crafting fees as my level 50, for workbench or any other kind of recipe. They also have the same AH fees. In what way does a lowbie have an advantage as a crafter? They have less storage, less merits and less ability to generate them; and the only means of income they have is crafting and auctions. I have to give them converters or they have to buy them off market at a markup. If anything they seem like a worse choice than a 50.

Am I missing something, or did the lowbie benefits change since the post was written?

A Level 10 Invention enhancement, generally, costs less to craft than a level 50 invention enhancement.

1 minute ago, Twisted Toon said:

A Level 10 Invention enhancement, generally, costs less to craft than a level 50 invention enhancement.

Of course, but that doesn't have anything to do with the level of the character crafting the enhancement.

Actually, it sort of does.

A high level character doesn't, normally, get low level recipes as drops. (unless they're using Oro or doing a low level teammates mission)

So, the low level character has more reliable access to the low level recipes, with lower crafting costs.

They put them up for sale at WW/BM for a paltry sum of 1000 Inf.

Some level 50 buys that enhancement for 1M Inf, and the lowbie just made a profit.

This doesn't exclude high level characters from making a profit in that manner.

It's just easier for the lowbie to do so, because they have easier access to the lowbie recipes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twisted Toon said:

Actually, it sort of does.

A high level character doesn't, normally, get low level recipes as drops. (unless they're using Oro or doing a low level teammates mission)

So, the low level character has more reliable access to the low level recipes, with lower crafting costs.

They put them up for sale at WW/BM for a paltry sum of 1000 Inf.

Some level 50 buys that enhancement for 1M Inf, and the lowbie just made a profit.

This doesn't exclude high level characters from making a profit in that manner.

It's just easier for the lowbie to do so, because they have easier access to the lowbie recipes.

I guess. I'm still not seeing how they 'have very low crafting fees' as compared to a higher level player. Even if they were doing content with xp disabled to generate 'free' low level recipes, that same content would be more efficiently done by a higher level toon with 50 levels of IO bonuses, either exemplaring or soloing Oro missions; in addition, the primary toon would get the badges for that content. Either character could sell the recipes directly for the same amount, with the same fees. Either character could craft the pieces for the same fees and sell them for the same amount.

I don't see anything a lower-level crafter can access or do, that a higher level wouldn't also have access to, and do better.

Do you log into your level 50 and play level 10 content on a regular basis?

I didn't think so.

Neither does the vast majority of the people that play this game.

So, the chances of a level 50 acquiring a level 15 IO enhancement recipe is rather low.

On the other hand, the chances of a level 15 character acquiring a level 15 IO enhancement recipe are relatively high in comparison.

The crafting fee to craft a level 15 IO (Non-set damage) is 3600 Inf.

The crafting fee to craft a level 45 IO (Non-set damage) is 177200 Inf.

Crafting fees for set enhancements are very similar, if not the same.

Level 15 and level 45 set enhancements are all pulled from the same pool in the Auction House.

So, a person that puts up a level 15 Javelin's Volley for 5000 Inf (or whatever the Ranged Damage PvP set is called) and another person puts a level 45 version of the same enhancement up for sale at the same price.

And, both of those people's enhancements are bought for 15,000,000 Inf.

Yes, they both paid the same in auction fees, but...

The person that crafted the level 15 enhancement made a bit more of a profit than the guy who crafted the level 45 version.

And trust me, 173,600 Inf isn't chump change to a level 15 making it on his own.

Side note: The majority of the people that farm for Inf/Recipes/grandmothers glasses won't do so at level 15.

They'll get on their level 50 and do some (generally fairly specific) level 50 missions, so they will have access to ALL their powers (and most likely incarnate abilities as well).

Because they want to rake in the most rewards with the least amount difficulty.

A level 50 farming at level 15 is rather ridiculous, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twisted Toon said:

Do you log into your level 50 and play level 10 content on a regular basis?

I didn't think so.

Neither does the vast majority of the people that play this game.

So, the chances of a level 50 acquiring a level 15 IO enhancement recipe is rather low.

On the other hand, the chances of a level 15 character acquiring a level 15 IO enhancement recipe are relatively high in comparison.

The crafting fee to craft a level 15 IO (Non-set damage) is 3600 Inf.

The crafting fee to craft a level 45 IO (Non-set damage) is 177200 Inf.

Crafting fees for set enhancements are very similar, if not the same.

Level 15 and level 45 set enhancements are all pulled from the same pool in the Auction House.

So, a person that puts up a level 15 Javelin's Volley for 5000 Inf (or whatever the Ranged Damage PvP set is called) and another person puts a level 45 version of the same enhancement up for sale at the same price.

And, both of those people's enhancements are bought for 15,000,000 Inf.

Yes, they both paid the same in auction fees, but...

The person that crafted the level 15 enhancement made a bit more of a profit than the guy who crafted the level 45 version.

And trust me, 173,600 Inf isn't chump change to a level 15 making it on his own.

Side note: The majority of the people that farm for Inf/Recipes/grandmothers glasses won't do so at level 15.

They'll get on their level 50 and do some (generally fairly specific) level 50 missions, so they will have access to ALL their powers (and most likely incarnate abilities as well).

Because they want to rake in the most rewards with the least amount difficulty.

A level 50 farming at level 15 is rather ridiculous, in my opinion.

All of which I understand, and yet none of which answers my original question, which was, in what way does a low level crafter have lower crafting fees than a higher level crafter making the same recipe. I get the point that a lower level has arguably more logical access to lower level recipes, but they will pay the same amount to make those recipes that a higher level crafter would pay.

And if I want to farm low-level recipes specifically, I personally would be more likely to do it on a character that has a ton of set bonuses in play from powers that are not being used, but are still slotted and providing effects. A level 15 character and a level 50 exemplaring down to the same content both have level 15 powers, but one of those characters will do that content much more efficiently.

Regardless, this has nothing to do with paying less to make a level 15 recipe because you are level 15. That was what I was asking for clarification on.

I frequently have to play one handed due to the presence of small children, and having to hold them. So I map autorun to my middle mouse button. Not the most efficient way to play, but its better than nothing. I also have macros to turn xp on and off in my email, so if I want to have more dynamic control of my leveling speed i can quickly toggle xp on and off. 

• 3 years later
On 6/4/2019 at 4:08 PM, Roughtrade said:

You get six costume slots.  You have unlimited for free costume tailor sessions as long as you do it before level ten.  BEFORE Level Ten. 

Some good tips in here which are still relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum