Inquiring about slash commands - How to change the MoTD for a channel, as an operator?

EnjoyTheJourney

As per the subject line, I'm trying to change the MoTD for a public channel. So far it's not happened. The command used was "/chanmotd", which is listed in the homecoming wiki slash commands section as the way to change MoTD for all those entering a channel. 

Can somebody provide a sample public channel MoTD change? 

Thank you in advance for any help provided. 

Thank you for your response!

I tried the following, but with no luck ...

/chan_motd “Master ITF” This Sunday at 10pm EST an all ranged relentless Aeon SF run will take place. All types of ranged characters are welcome. More than one run may take place, depending on interest.

Is there something wrong with what's above?

PS: Master ITF is a channel and I'm an operator / admin for that channel. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

Okay. So here are some things to consider.

Are you on the character that created the channel?

Does that character that you are currently logged into have operator privileges for that channel? (I'm not sure if operator status is assigned at global or character level - it appears to be at the global level, but I would try sending the command by the character that created the channel.)

Are you currently in that channel in the chat entry window when you try to use the command?

I understand that it should work from any character with operator status, but sometimes the game response weird.

I think that you have to be an operator for the channel and enter the command in the chat window that currently set to the channel that  you are trying to send the comand to.

I think the command would read::

/chan_motd "This Sunday at 10pm EST an all ranged relentless Aeon SF run will take place. All types of ranged characters are welcome. More than one run may take place, depending on interest."

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried pretty much everything at this point, including the ideas given above that I can try out.

I can't explore which person / character created the channel, though, as I'm not the one who created the channel. I'm just one of the three of us who ultimately accepted operator privileges when the one creating the channel went on break from the game. 

I'm fresh out of ideas to try, at this point. Still, if there are other ideas to try out then I'd give them a go. 

Not being able to change the MoTD would be unfortunate. And, I'll check back in on this thread for a while.

In the bigger picture, if I can't change the MoTD then, well, there are bigger things in life to think about.  

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

8 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

/chan_motd "Channel name here" "This is a sample MoTD message"

Once the quotes were around both the channel name and the message it immediately worked.

Someone needs to edit the command on https://hcwiki.cityofheroes.dev/wiki/List_of_Slash_Commands

I'm believe it should read

/chan_motd "channelname" "channelmessage"

I tried logging in but I can't seem to get in, and I'm too tired right now to make new log-in over there or fight with it any longer

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

11 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Once the quotes were around both the channel name and the message it immediately worked.

It is good practice to use quotes around ALL slash command argument groups, with a slight pass on one-word arguments. While the parser can sometimes understand that twenty trailing words are "a string," there are lots of exceptions.

If your command string has a space, use quotes.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com