Increase Assault Rifle damage via special effects Or stacking effect

plainguy

Many complain about Assault Rifle DPS output because it does Smash and Lethal damage which is the most common DPS in the game and can be resisted quiet well. 

I noticed recently, (which I have to admit I didn't see before) that Full Auto has a special that says if you are lucky you might get extra damage.
Burst seems to have a secondary effect of -Def to target

I was wondering if adding a secondary or a special to all AR powers might increase its DPS value. 

Maybe something stacking. 

Or something that stacks and then is triggered by Full Auto

I am thinking along the lines of Pack Mentality in Mastermind Beast Mastery line. 
Just basically using your powers over time increases your damage and maybe you have the option of firing off Full Auto for some big damage that would consume your stacks. 

Or just add -Def and /or -Resistance or EVEN BOTH to every AR power of varying degrees. Basically your bullets are whittling away the enemies defenses and resistances over time.  

For regular mobs not much would be noticed, but during EB and AV fights this would be much more noticeable.  

Or maybe this benefit of -Def/-Res is team wide. 

I may be a bad blaster, but my usual tactic on a team (solo might be different) is to open up with Full Auto, or to wait about a half second to do so after they've grouped around the Alpha-taker.  Waiting for some effect to stack would probably end up with me using Full Auto on like two or three targets.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 1/18/2022 at 1:58 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

I may be a bad blaster, but my usual tactic on a team (solo might be different) is to open up with Full Auto, or to wait about a half second to do so after they've grouped around the Alpha-taker.  Waiting for some effect to stack would probably end up with me using Full Auto on like two or three targets.

You make an excellent point.. 

I do the same.. 

Then maybe just some sort of -def/resistance benefit to all attacks. So the DPS can possibly be seen ramping up over time. Again how big is this benefit against regular mobs? 

• Like 1

• 8 months later

Is there any intent on maybe passing some of the buffs to Mercs AR attacks over to here?

BTW I am taking credit for the merc buff since I posted this first. 

That line in Full Auto stuck me as an oblique reference to the old, old style of nukes, which had 5-8 lines of "X% chance to deal Y damage", resulting in much more variable damage than modern nukes, which are a single application of a flat amount of damage. Saying you might get lucky and get extra damage is the glass-half-full way of saying you'll never really know how much damage this attack does. 😏

Regardless, assault rifle's dps output is just fine (yes, even ST) and not in need of any buffs.

• Like 1

Maybe just give it the same "Focus Fire" ability that was just given to Mercs MM pets?

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I dont see how this suggestion had anything to do with the mercs buff.  But if taking credit for what players have been asking for years is what floats your boat,  then you do you.

As for the suggestion itself,  AR is quite mediocre.  I wouldnt mind it getting something to make it more interesting and add a bit of oomph.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, plainguy said:

I was wondering if adding a secondary or a special to all AR powers might increase its DPS value. 

Maybe something stacking. 

Or something that stacks and then is triggered by Full Auto

I am thinking along the lines of Pack Mentality in Mastermind Beast Mastery line. 
Just basically using your powers over time increases your damage and maybe you have the option of firing off Full Auto for some big damage that would consume your stacks. 

Maybe you are looking for a change in ammo types like dual pistols

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dual_Pistols#Swap_Ammo

However, I really don't have any DPS issue with assault rifle the way that it is now.

I'm quite happy with it.

As you have noted, some Assault Rifle attacks have -DEF, and I generally put at least 1 -DEF enhancement in any power that can slot one.

Some of the blaster secondaries have a way to increase damage for a short amount of time, like

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Fire_Manipulation#Build_Up

Or use procs to get increased damage, like

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Gaussian's_Synchronized_Fire-Control:_Chance_for_Build_Up  >>> https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Build_Up

Or you can use Damage inspirations

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:09 PM, ninja surprise said:

Thinking it out, the continuously shooting a machine gun results in the barrel getting hotter and hotter.

So add fire damage that stacks like Fury?

Also your accuracy degrades so even single target attacks turn into cones.

I would think your barrel melting would degrade the accuracy, but I'm not seeing how it would turn a single target attack into a cone.

If you're going for a simulation of the barrel of the rifled getting hotter, sure. make stacks of barrel heat.

When it gets too hot (too many stacks of barrel heat) , it either has to take time to cool off (use up all the stacks of barrel heat that would deplete at some rate over time) -or- the weapon explodes doing PBAoE damage to the user when it has too many stacks of barrel heat (maybe increasing the chance of the weapon exploding with each new stack of barrel heat added. When the explosion is triggered, the damage is based on how many stacks of barrel heat the weapon has) and then it can't be used again for like 30-45 seconds to simulate getting a new assault rifle from where ever they are when the character isn't holding them.

• Haha 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

40 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Maybe you are looking for a change in ammo types like dual pistols

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Dual_Pistols#Swap_Ammo

I'm thinking that this could be something added to Munitions Mastery.

It might be interesting to put it in there replacing Sleep Grenades.

Since this changes the ammo type, it could me made usable on all blaster types. Give it 3 instead of 4 settings. The fourth being the default lethal setting. This way all blaster types could take advantage of swapping around the ammo type is they buy into the Epic pool.

Having it take place of the Sleep Grenades would put it into the second tier of the pool and only accessible after level 41.

This would make it so it didn't have a huge impact on the game but would make it accessible for those that want to use it End-game ... which is where I suspect that the OP @plainguy thinks they have damage issues.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:59 PM, plainguy said:

Or maybe this benefit of -Def/-Res is team wide. 

When a player debuffs an enemy, they are debuffed.

Debuffing a target, makes them debuffed in regard to all incoming attacks.