PB/WS Forms 'No Effects' Customization

I'm not sure of the process, or the difficulties, or the practicalities. I also don't use the forums much, I'm afraid of forums.
But, setting that fear aside, and my crippling uncertainty of where I should actually post this:

Peacebringer/Warshade Forms (And removing their effects):
Mostly just a personal desire, really, but one I think could be pretty popular for a lot of people (and possibly an easy implementation? Maybe?) would be to give the option to have 'No/Minimal FX' like other abilities in the game. Dwarf and Nova are very cool, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I just want to keep my costume on, despite having to switch to Dwarf/Nova for whatever reason, in whatever build I might have that month.

I could see, potentially, having these options (if possible):
Solid/Non-Transparent Dwarf and Nova
Transparent 'Base Form'
'Base Form' with Glow/Aura

'No/Minimal FX Base Form'

Just as a few possible customization options to spice up being a Bi/Triform HEAT. That is all I have to put forward, I hope it's a good idea. And one that could be patched into the game with no complications! Again, I don't really know what obstacles could be in the path of this idea. Finally, if this has been suggest/proposed before (I didn't see it anywhere) I apologize for making a copy post!

Thank you for your time, have a wonderful day, stay safe and keep the City of Heroes safer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

IMO if you want to stay in costume 100% of the time, you may be playing the wrong type of AT

Kinda this, although I do think the OP is sincere.

I'm never very comfortable with "I wanna play X, but have it be like Y instead." Part of the game is choosing what advantages to have and what disadvantages those bring, not just maxxed everything. That's more applicable to powers but isn't irrelevant to the visual and thematic elements, either.

(And just to cover the other issues, you can suppress the annoying squid/dwarf fx with /suppressclosefx, if that's part of the problem.)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I do agree they are sincere, and I hope that I didn’t come off as attacking them.

my thoughts are this - there seems to be a lot of players who take one type of AT, want to play it like another, and then when they can’t, ask the devs to make changes.  It’s confusing to me.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

there seems to be a lot of players who take one type of AT, want to play it like another, and then when they can’t, ask the devs to make changes.  It’s confusing to me.

See: Sentinels. 😜

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

8 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

I just want a bowtie for my squid form ..... maybe a straw hat too

Not a long sausage nose?

Honestly, if you just want to stay in human form... play human form. Given IOs and such, you can buff yourself up fairly well and/or perma things (Eclipse being up, Light Form being up, etc.) You'll be accessing more 4, 5 and 6-slot set bonuses as well from not having to slot form powers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

50 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Honestly, if you just want to stay in human form... play human form. Given IOs and such, you can buff yourself up fairly well and/or perma things (Eclipse being up, Light Form being up, etc.) You'll be accessing more 4, 5 and 6-slot set bonuses as well from not having to slot form powers.

On my PB, I play in human form around 90-95% of the time.

I only use dwarf if I find myself on a team with no aggro

I will go a little on the side of the TC here and note that it's not like such a process would need to eliminate shapeshifting, either.  For example, it'd actually be kind of neat to tie form changes to a costume change and "build your own" Dwarf or Nova appearance.  NPC models are, honestly, kinda boring.  So I get that.  And it seems like it need not be an animations issue since you can preview the Nova/Dwarf powers these days in the outfitter, and it'll show an animation in the human form you preview from.

So it seems feasible, at least, although whether it's worthwhile is left as an exercise to the reader.

But all that aside, Shadow Cloak, specifically, needs a Min. FX version, dammit.  My WS gets stuck with an NPC form even when in human form!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Space Squid doesn't do it for me. Never will. I hate the look of it. 

For this reason, my Khelds are always humanform only. What's "most effective" can go take a hike.

Now, lots of people like, or at least don't *mind*, the squid, and that's cool. I may wonder why, but that's a "me issue".

If something like this became available, I would use it. 

If it never becomes available, well, I have my own solution to it. I just don't pick the shapeshift powers. Ever.

I really do like @Lazarillo's idea of a costume slot you designate as your "squid costume". I suspect that would take signficantly more programming effort, but I like the payoff in customization. It might also be a solution for people who hate the look of Granite armor, etc. Absolutely not holding my breath. But I think, if implemented, it could be the kind of code usable in more places than we might think at first glance. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MTeague said:

I really do like @Lazarillo's idea of a costume slot you designate as your "squid costume". I suspect that would take signficantly more programming effort, but I like the payoff in customization. It might also be a solution for people who hate the look of Granite armor, etc. Absolutely not holding my breath. But I think, if implemented, it could be the kind of code usable in more places than we might think at first glance. 

I hadn't envisioned it as anything that complicated...more just sort of an extension of what the OP suggested.  More of an in-character/player option where there's a minimal FX option and one just adds a "$$ cc[x]$$" (or cce) to their shapeshift binds and sets it up on their own, rather than a mandatory "squid slot" or "lobster slot".

I am in favor of minimal FX proliferation and animation alternatives up to a point:

In favor of: 

1) more effective ways to disable *all* power FX around you with a singular setting. There are options to do this, but posters allege they don’t always work as intended. I can’t confirm that but I’m in favor of such a feature working properly. This is for people that have a hard time staying in control when surrounded by animations. Most of us know how to Tab+F when things get hairy, but I get it. If people are willing to turn off *all* power FX stuff, they should be able to just like they should be able to turn down their graphics.

2) targeted options left to personal preference for excessively graphically intrusive sets (Earth Control, Seismic Blast) and inherently blocky/asymmetrical stuff many find ugly (Bio Armor, Ice Armor, Stone Armor).

I am not in favor of:

3) Mass proliferation of minimal FX options or alternate animations to every single power just because a player wants the mechanics of X with the looks of Y. For instance, I would be against letting Street Justice and Martial Arts use each other’s animations. I think a set’s unique look should stay with that set. If you want those animations, you should have to play the set, and if you don’t want those animations, the game is abundantly generous at giving you other sets to play.

This suggestion sounds most like (3), so no thanks for that reason.

Edited by arcane

• 2 weeks later
On 1/26/2022 at 3:31 PM, arcane said:

I am not in favor of:

3) Mass proliferation of minimal FX options or alternate animations to every single power just because a player wants the mechanics of X with the looks of Y. For instance, I would be against letting Street Justice and Martial Arts use each other’s animations. I think a set’s unique look should stay with that set. If you want those animations, you should have to play the set, and if you don’t want those animations, the game is abundantly generous at giving you other sets to play.

This suggestion sounds most like (3), so no thanks for that reason.

Not to be rude, by any means, but this comparison makes no sense. Getting rid of the effects of Dwarf/Nova is nothing at all similar to letting Melee sets switch animations between each other. The example of SJ and MA using each others' animations comes to an issue of animation speed/triggering. The powers don't translate very well for that, I'd imagine, also that's a situation of wanting Set 1 to look like Set 2, rather than just another Minimal FX situation.

And, again, why are people so dead-set on "no you cannot have this thing you want, because I don't want it. Even if I'm not forced to do it myself"?
I will reclarify that nothing is removed. This isn't being pushed at some major need that should be bumped over other issues. It's just a cool idea, that wouldn't have any negative effect on anyone. At all. Like... absolutely zero.

• Confused 1

I think an option to have no fx on every single power in game would be more suitable. And to the naysayers, each to their own. Why should everyone have to play how you want them to when it has zero effect on your own game experience?

19 hours ago, Dawnbringer829 said:

And, again, why are people so dead-set on "no you cannot have this thing you want, because I don't want it. Even if I'm not forced to do it myself"?
I will reclarify that nothing is removed.

Never use this as an argument with me if you want to be taken seriously, because it’s a ludicrous illogical argument. Being able to opt out of a change doesn’t make it good. “I want my PB to not look like a PB, you don’t have to do the same so there’s no reason to disagree.” “I want a temp power that defeats every enemy on the map. You don’t have to use it or team with people that do so there’s no reason to disagree.” Stop. Using. This. Non-sensical. Argument. Thx 🙂

As for why people are telling you what they think of your idea, this is a forum for suggestions and feedback on those suggestions. Perhaps your next suggestion should be for some kind of infinite affirmation subforum if you don’t want to deal with the one where people can disagree with you.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Down 1