Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

On Christmas Eve 2004, the first Heraclea was created.  The character existed before, in Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures and other games.  

The current incarnation of Heraclea returned in late April of this year.  On Christmas Day of this year, my fourteenth level 50 completed that part of the journey.  

Thank you all so very mich.

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 2 weeks later
17 hours ago, ElemenoP said:

As many have said.  Thank you!  So many memories rushing back.  Now I got to relearn everything.  Yay!!!!

But, what a joyful task if ever there was one!  At least, that's how I felt back in April/May, when all this first started. 😎

What was no more, is REBORN!

My husband and I have just discovered we can come back home. We played many happy hours getting multiple 50s on defiant and made so many friends.   Logging on tonight was wonderful and felt like I’d never left. I’m even looking forward to rerolling all my alts! Thank you so much from an avid badge whore 🙂

• Like 3

So this is going to be the full, true story. Its rather long, but it goes to show how much this games means to me. 

SO...My parents get divorced, my grandparents step up to help out financially and my grandpa becomes my best friend. He died in 9/11 and I at age 12 went into a depressive state. Acting out, getting into trouble. So my parents really didn't know what to do, so they tried there best to get me more active in friends and sports. I was alright, but it wasn't until a few years later when I was in 7th grade. 

My dad came out of the closet shortly after the divorce, and lived with his 'roommate' at the time. I can remember the drive up to his house when he said "You know, I got a really cool new game for my birthday I would love for you to try out." And try it I did. I played all weekend and I remember that was when (For the first time) I drank a whole 12 cans of soda by myself and fell asleep at the computer. My dad ended up getting us a second computer for Mom's house, and it was a way for us All to play. Before you knew it we ended up getting a second PC, and so did my dad. Soon we had it where everyone could play together if we wanted too! It brought my family closer together. My Mom would play with my Dad. We all made it work! 

Real life happens, and I walked away from the game shortly into college. Didn't really play all that much but I took it for granted. Then when the servers went down it felt like a bridge that connected many parts of my social life was gone? I hope that doesn't sounds stupid. But it felt like it wasn't as easy as 'Well i'll see you when you log on at 9'. We lost an avenue for us to be social together; while also doing something we all liked. 

THEN HOMECOMING CAME. I watched as the bridge was re-opened and these last couple months have been very fun and amazing. Thank you for all your hard work, Devs. It means a lot to us all. 

• Like 1

How can I thank the devs?  You saved my sanity.  I was teaching at a gang ridden, violent middle school (where I had my nose broken) and every night I would come back and game till the wee hours to rid myself of the toxins from work.  My husband lovingly would often bring my supper to my desk so I could game on.  Although he never gamed he understood how much this game helped as a coping mechanism.  I grieved so when it went dark, losing my guildmates one by one till I alone remained, holding onto vain hope that somehow our city would be saved  

It was impossible to explain to others what the loss of this game meant to me  I finally dumped the maps and builds I had printed out a year ago, even finally getting rid of the original comics and hero clix I had from the CoV expansion.  The cruelest blow was the loss of my beloved husband.  He died from glioblastoma, a terrible, malignant  brain cancer, three years ago.  My love, my best friend was gone!  That terrible loss is something you don't get over.

I was delighted a few months ago when an old guildmate of mine posted about the resurrection of CoH.  I've been happily immersed in the game again, thanks to the work and selflessness of the Homecoming devs.  Playing once more has been a real salve for the bruised soul.  Thank you for this labor of love.  It means more than you know to so many people.

• Like 4

On 1/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, Antarticaa said:

How can I thank the devs?  You saved my sanity.  I was teaching at a gang ridden, violent middle school (where I had my nose broken) and every night I would come back and game till the wee hours to rid myself of the toxins from work.  My husband lovingly would often bring my supper to my desk so I could game on.  Although he never gamed he understood how much this game helped as a coping mechanism.  I grieved so when it went dark, losing my guildmates one by one till I alone remained, holding onto vain hope that somehow our city would be saved  

It was impossible to explain to others what the loss of this game meant to me  I finally dumped the maps and builds I had printed out a year ago, even finally getting rid of the original comics and hero clix I had from the CoV expansion.  The cruelest blow was the loss of my beloved husband.  He died from glioblastoma, a terrible, malignant  brain cancer, three years ago.  My love, my best friend was gone!  That terrible loss is something you don't get over.

I was delighted a few months ago when an old guildmate of mine posted about the resurrection of CoH.  I've been happily immersed in the game again, thanks to the work and selflessness of the Homecoming devs.  Playing once more has been a real salve for the bruised soul.  Thank you for this labor of love.  It means more than you know to so many people.

So many real-life examples of how a game can be so much more than just a game.  I'm glad you found your way back. 

• 2 weeks later

A thousand times thank you.

It always appeared to me that I've taken a liking to games that either get discontinued or straight up die (Global Agenda) so seeing one of the games that I've played as a kid for hours, (making characters left and right, trying out all the traveling superpowers, jumping through the city and somehow getting completely lost in the city sewers) get brought back to life... it makes me feel that I've played a game with a wonderful community which didn't want the game to end and I support that.

You're doing an amazing thing, If I knew as a kid that this game would be back, I'd hug you all.

Love you guys, I'll see you in the game.

-Bopin

Wow, I've just hopped onto Reunion and re-created two of my fave characters from when I used to play back in 2006.  What fun! 

CoX was the game that's addicted me most in my life, I played the damn thing for 3 years continuously, couldn't get enough of it - until one day I suddenly couldn't bear to look at it any more.  But I think 10 years is enough of a break for it to feel fresh once again 🙂 

Thanks very much you wonderful people, for giving us this opportunity to play this amazing and very special game once again!

15 hours ago, gurugeorge said:

Wow, I've just hopped onto Reunion and re-created two of my fave characters from when I used to play back in 2006.  What fun! 

CoX was the game that's addicted me most in my life, I played the damn thing for 3 years continuously, couldn't get enough of it - until one day I suddenly couldn't bear to look at it any more.  But I think 10 years is enough of a break for it to feel fresh once again 🙂 

Thanks very much you wonderful people, for giving us this opportunity to play this amazing and very special game once again!

Welcome back! 

I think 10 years is more than enough time to not only appreciate the game once again, but also to have gained enough maturity, and self-discipline to keep oneself from going at it so hard, that it becomes something you have to walk away from.  We are all a little older, wiser, and have the benefit of hindsight when it comes to the game (hopefully, for life in general as well), which helps keep things in proper perspective.  I feel it is a lot more fun now.  I play when time permits, and am quite content with that.  It was an obsession way back in the day for me too, and I much prefer the approach I have now.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, Greyscale said:

I just found this awesome game. Thanks so much for the stroll down memory lane. I've always had fond memories of this game and its so gratifying visiting old haunts. 

Grey

Welcome home!  I think all of us here can identify with that sentiment! 😎

CoX (although the acronym seems to be rarely used nowadays) was my first MMO. Like so many others have said, it was, it IS much more than just a game to me. Back then, i was active in the Union server, blueside and especially redside (NHU, Court of the Blood Countess, i salute you).

After shutdown i would, from time to time, search for updates regarding the status of the game, mostly for the nostalgia and, despite promising fanmade projects, without much hope of ever returning to Paragon City, the Rogue Isles, Praetoria.

Until last year, when SCoRE, and now Homecoming, made that possible.

More than the means to an end which i fully subscribe to, you, the Devs and GM's, represent the very embodiment of wishing something into reality, and your efforts to legitimize "our" current version of the game, make it better than it ever was, and also gather the community (against what could very well descend into a hate-filled server war) are nothing short of laudable.

I am ever grateful to you, i will support you whenever possible, and i'm sure i speak for everyone when i say we will ALL stand behind you if and when the time comes.

The mark of a great game, beyond the enjoyment it provides, is, in my opinion, whatever form of personal growth it brings to the user. I believe we have all experienced that gift somehow, and that is why CoX can be narrowed down to three words: Community, Customization, Home.

Let us all unite, as we did before, and guard it fiercely.

Because that's what we do.

Gratitude, to you all.

It's good to be home again.

Edited by Archaeon

I AM HERE....to say hello! I wanted to extend a thanks to all those who keep these servers up. I joined a few days ago if I had known about this last here I'd have signed up then. So happy to see this game back, this was my first real online game it got me into computer gaming and is what got me to upgrade my computer in the first place. I started playing in 2005 after City of Villains released and I instantly loved it. It's so nice to be able to step in again and bring Rebel Fist back into reality, even if she has a new coat of paint on her. I wonder if anyone from the Doom Supremacy plays that was my guild for the longest time even if I did kinda grew apart from them. 

Thanks again for making this possible. Time to hit the streets. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mandalore5 said:

I AM HERE....to say hello! I wanted to extend a thanks to all those who keep these servers up. I joined a few days ago if I had known about this last here I'd have signed up then. So happy to see this game back, this was my first real online game it got me into computer gaming and is what got me to upgrade my computer in the first place. I started playing in 2005 after City of Villains released and I instantly loved it. It's so nice to be able to step in again and bring Rebel Fist back into reality, even if she has a new coat of paint on her. I wonder if anyone from the Doom Supremacy plays that was my guild for the longest time even if I did kinda grew apart from them. 

Thanks again for making this possible. Time to hit the streets. 

Another wayward hero, found his way home!  Welcome back!

I love to see these kinds of posts, where players who loved this game become aware that it's alive again, and find their way to one of the servers.  It's kind of a trickle, because it's pretty much "word of mouth" that they find out.  Imagine if the day should come when they (the Devs), can advertise their presence in the open, without legal issues to be concerned about!  There will likely be a lot more folks out there, who are still lamenting the loss of the game, unaware that we are here, and waiting for them.  They are going to be SO happy when they find out!  I am very much looking forward to the possible day when the flood gates open, and the numbers of these kinds of posts grows exponentially!

Edited by Abraxus
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

Wait!  What?  Did I miss something? 😮

Yeah, there were about 10-15 spam posts in General, Chinese language I think. I didn't open any of the threads, just reported them from the popover.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

😲

I found this today and immediately created an account.  created several heroes from my past.  It is crazy how much enjoyment just BUILDING a toon was and still is!!!

Hello, I'm SuperGoober.

I played on Justice.

A fun memory:

12-31-2011 19:05:21 Using global chat handle @SuperGoober
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Justice Sat Mat'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Justice Sat Mat](null): Spyder Noir: MOTD (2011-11-17 20:30:45): Nov. 19 Sat Mat is the Operative Renault Strike Force.  Please sign up in the thread in the Justice forum.
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Team Friggin Awesome'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Team Friggin Awesome](null): Abraxxus: MOTD (2011-12-27 08:14:51): Just remember, in CoH, no matter how bad assery you are, there's an enemy out there with your name on it. 
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Team Awesome'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Team Awesome](null): Dark Kerse: MOTD (2011-12-25 01:20:24): Merry Christmas all you wonderful Paragon people, Happy holidays!
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'TankHQ'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [TankHQ](null): Warboss: MOTD (2011-12-28 13:34:57): The first Tanker Tuesday of the new year will be on Champion (the home of TTs) on Jan 3rd! Meet in King's Row by the IP gate at 6pm PT/ 9pm ET.
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Justice-Badges'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Justice-Badges](null): Tic-Toc: MOTD (2009-09-16 03:18:35): Welcome to Justice-Badges, the global channel for all badge related topics on the Justice Server. Report abuse to @Tic-Toc or other channel operators. Visit http://www.badge-hunter.com/
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'they broke my channel'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [they broke my channel](null): Spyder Noir: MOTD (2011-09-15 20:02:49): Jubilations and - how does the Earthlings say - the hot dogs!
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Team Awesome 1A'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Team Awesome 1A](null): Kadmon: MOTD (2011-11-26 15:26:03): THERE IS NO BATHROOM
12-31-2011 19:05:21 Joined channel 'Tempest Legion'
12-31-2011 19:05:21 [Tempest Legion](null): Katfood: MOTD (2011-12-10 17:39:17): Happy Holidays!

So all I can do is echo the feelings of this post.

I saw COH advertised in some computer magazines in 2004, but you could only buy it in the USA.

Luckily I had a family holiday with my wife and kids so I wandered around San Fransico, found it and bought it.

Got home, I was hooked. Played non stop. Bought the t-shirts, mouse mat, Collectable Card Game and the Heroclix figures.

Those heroclix figures have been a perminant fixture on my gaming desk since the horror of 2012, and are still there even as I type.

A couple of days ago I just thought, wonder if there are any of the COH videos on youtube and went to look.

Whats this, a video on how to install COH 2019 ?

watched it, did it and now I am running my old regen scrapper, my first Alt, all over again.

You, whoever you are, have brought back a joy I thought was perminantly lost. Words fail me to describe the joy I now feel.

So whether it is days, months, or hopefully years that this runs. I thank you.

• Like 2