Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

I can't believe I get to play this again! I'll share one of my favorite stories from this game.

Way back in Issue 1, I was at a friend's house watching him play this. He was out hunting, when he encountered a hero named "The Auditor." The Auditor finished the mob he was fighting, turned to face my friend, and did his battlecry: "And next time, file early!" I'll never forget that moment and many others afterwards that showcase the creativity of people in crafting backstories or in costume design. To this day no other character creator will be able to match the sheer depth of possibility that City of Heroes provided.

I Want to Thank these people because My friends...all older then me, regaled me with stories of Their City. The City that brought them together and Effectively put into motion the events that led to me being a part of their family. (albeit after CoH/V was down and i'd never been part of it originally). And now it's back.

Thank you for letting me play this again.

One of the few honest regrets in my life is that I didn't re-open this game for the sunset. I'd left a while prior, in a bad place, and I was concerned that re-opening the game would bring me back to that place. I should have known then what I know now - that this is a good place, with good people, and the feeling of being a hero outweighs it all.

I never thought I'd play CoH again. I know I'm not alone now in fearing it could get swept away at any time if NC bring the ol banhammer down. But it's a good place with good people, and I'm thankful to be given the chance to fly again. As long as this game keeps flying, I'll be here!

I bought this game for my son back in 2005 for a birthday present. Proceeded to install on my 2 core AMD comp (lag lag lag) and then proceeded to kick him off and take over the game LOL. It was my first MMO and i loved every minute of it. I have played many MMO's Since but none that captured the glory that is COH!

I am 51 years old now and this is a fantastic blast from the past that i needed..Thank you so very much and i look forward to donating at the first chance i get.

I wanted my first post here to be a thank you.  I've been loving the game - and while I play I find that it's almost as though I'm in a dream sequence. I can't believe I actually get to play this game again.

Thank you very much.

I'd also like to volunteer to support this effort in any way that I can, as I'm sure so many of us would. Now that it's back, I want to protect it.

The wife and I played COH since near day 1.

We made a couple of good "friends". I put that in quotes as we never actually met, though the wife did also make contact via instagram.

Fast forward 7 years, no more CoH but in other news the wife gives birth to our first child.

A week later a knitted blanket arrives in the post from those friends.

The wife and I are very happy to be in Paragon City :)

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

Just wanted to say my thanks from an old time beta/retail player.

Much nostalgia and feels, all the hours playing and even DJ’ing on Justice Radio!

I had forgotten about those 24hr “internet radio” broadcasts and the awesome community that made this game great.

Thank you for all the hard work!

OMG a friend just shared this that it is back and Many Many thanks for bring it back.  This is the only MMO that I can remember doing every character I ever created and all of their abilities and their looks.  A big shout out for anyone that played on Guardian.  I can't wait to get back in and Kick some villain butt.

Thank you so much for bringing the game back.  The sheer amount of people coming back is a sure sign that NCSoft made the biggest mistake sunsetting the game way before it's time.  We have MMOs celebrating their 20th anniversary, and now we can celebrate our 15th anniversary the way we're suppose to.  In the game.  Fighting the good Fight.  Or the bad Fight if you're evil.  Or just the Fight if you're somewhere in-between.

I remember playing the Steel Canyon Task Force and talking about Everquest and how unsure I was about this game.  I had never played another MMO other than EQ and coming to CoH felt radically different at the time.  This was Pre-Issue One but Post-Beta.  I was in Beta but kinda got murdered by the Rikit the MOMENT I got Hover.  It was a very short but very sweet introduction to this game.  Still, as I ran from room to room, slaughtering monsters, waiting for everyone to recover between mobs, we had a little chat about game loyalty.  I seem to remember someone saying to me. 

"Yeah, EQ was your first but so what? You don't still sleep with your first do you?"

"Well, no," I replied to this logic.  "But that doesn't mean I can't still appreciate the game for introducing me to the wonderful world of MMOs."

And no other MMO has ever come close to the measure of love I have for City of Heroes.  And we will not see it's like again.

Not Champions Online

Not DC Online

Not World of Warcraft

Not Star Wars the Old Republic

Not Everquest

And probably not even City of Titans (If it EVER gets released.)

This game.

This is my game.

This is our game.

Glad to be back.

Thank you.

And no other MMO has ever come close to the measure of love I have for City of Heroes.  And we will not see it's like again.

Not Champions Online

Not DC Online

Not World of Warcraft

Not Star Wars the Old Republic

Not Everquest

And probably not even City of Titans (If it EVER gets released.)

This game.

This is my game.

This is our game.

Glad to be back.

Thank you.

THIS X a quadrabazillion......Every word of this was read right off of my heart.

MVbwcdR.jpg?1

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Words cant do justice to what this means to me and my family.

My wife, brother in law and I all started the game Christmas 2003, and played till our eyes burned until sunset.  By that time we had a little superhero a 4 year old that took up the game with us.

When sunset came he cried I cried we all cried.  There wasnt a month since then that went by where he didn't ask if there was any way to bring CoH back.  Hes 12 now, we took up Champions and even bought lifetime memberships but it just wasnt the same.

Imagine that day I installed this on all 4 computers and spread the news.  We have another 4 year old now that is literally singing "I believe I can fly" now that his tanker - Ice Ice Tanker - Yeah we are old school corney like that and he is too.  lol

All 4 of us play every night and its such a good feeling I never thought I would feel again.

So sincere thanks from the bottom of this Tanks heart and the rest of my family also.

Thank you for this. I remember playing this as a kid leading up to and beyond me joining the Corps back in 2010. I have more imagination now and I can get my second chance for all my character ideas.

Memory?... Useing Duel Pistols in the... I forgot what EXP it was called but the alternate world place... Till the end and the friends I made along the way.

Oh and scraping that same character for the Lazer gun set when it came out and themeing it from a Tesla trooper.

I saw this thread and I absolutely had to comment:

If I only see Atlas Park one more time, it will last a lifetime. I can not thank the efforts of those involved enough. "City of" will always forever be in my heart because without this game I would have never met my wife of 11 years (we met 15 years ago). She and I met playing CoH as it was our common bond (with myself helping her achieve her very first end-game max-level character). From our chance encounter with myself venturing to find a new SuperGroup to be apart of, she and I grew fond of each other despite their warnings over her "clingy-ness". After all this time, I can say that is what drew me to her because I needed someone in my life that needed that dependency and affection.

She and I have leveled NUMEROUS combinations of characters between CoH and CoV, but our love was forged through CoH and has stood true since. We wanted just a bit of nostalgia and to see this project come to fruition is just incredible.

With all sincerity... thank you!

I'd like to send my thanks to the Dev team, Leandro, and everyone else involved in getting this up and running.

My wife and three daughters loved City of Heroes, and when it went down they (and me) tried every MMO that came along, but none of them really did the trick.

Now that it's back, we've been making our old characters again, restarting the Supergroup, and running the missions.

It's nice to be back.

And funny hearing my daughter discuss what powerset is best and what IO's to slot.

Thanks again.

Thank you to all involved!

I just heard about all this today! I can't believe it it. I have hundreds of screenshots from both coh and cov (beta) ..I am so happy I might tear up, jesus its just a game but it was the best.

thank you everyone, see you in there.

Thank you so much for this. If there's a game that comes up more than any other, over the past several years, it's CoH. And the fact that it's been gone and still brings such a strong showing within online conversations speaks volumes.

Like many of the other members posting, I played this game religiously before it shut down. And now I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am it's available to explore once again.

You are heroes. Each and every one of you.

I would be remiss if I didn't take the time to thank everyone involved in bringing my favorite online RPG back to life. 

I was with CoH from the beginning, I played into 2007 and briefly in 2010.  I have always loved making my own characters come to life.

In 2017, I lost my right foot due to infection. I'm homebound 5 out of 7 days a week. It's been a long road to get where I am. the emotional scars are sometimes worse than the physical.

In reviving the game, you have given me the opportunity to rest my brain and have a lot of fun.  Thank you for helping me heal my maind and boost my creativity again!

Next time you need donations, I am there!

Thunder, your story touched me.

When I began playing in 2004, it was my first MMO ever and man, was I ever green. The first friend I made (Bal) was wonderful and taught me play strategies, how to slot enhancements, etc. He ran an SG (The Sons of Horus) and I made a few more friends. The sg members all noticed that Bal would do the dance emote every chance he got. It turns out that Bal was a young man in his 20s who's spine was fused and he used a walker. It was only in the game that he could dance and do things he couldn't do in real life that most of us take for granted.

This has been more than 'just a game' to me, and so many others for so many reasons. I am so grateful to be able to play again and I want to thank everyone who made this all possible.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

There are so MANY memories!  Like most people the game holds a strong sentimental place that is unmatched by any other game I've ever played.  Seeing it back made me shed a tear.  You monsters!  But speaking of that one of the strongest but most difficult memories was the end.  Everyone gathered--mostly in Atlas Park and Pocket D but a few other places--holding torches.  It felt like every hero turned up in that hour for the last gathering of players. 

Now please excuse me.  I have to go spend the next several days playing with the character creator.  There are things that can be done that didn't used to be able to be done! 

I always was a relaxed PvE'er at heart, and my fondest memories are from CoH (and CoV). I remember my character, Gun Angel - no prizes for guessing power or flight mode - and how it was fun carefully setting up traps etc. to defeat tough encounters.

It is a game that captured my imagination in a way very few have managed since. Seeing it have a chance to come alive again is really heartwarming - even if I am painfully aware it might not have aged all that well, I am more than willing to reminisce in it a bit. The good enemy designs, the story - everything about this game was good, but in particular, the character creator. Thank you for giving me a chance to revisit Paragon City. Homecoming is, indeed, aptly named.

Edit: I had worried about wether it had aged well, but it has, perhaps even like a fine wine: It has stood the test of time well and then some. I am in love all over again. :)

While I got into the original game very late (somewhere around late 2011) as a random suggestion from a close friend who was heavily into the worldbuilding and ideas, this is one of only three MMOs that I ever enjoyed enough to put time into, and as someone who normally groans at the idea of playing any game in the genre that isn't FF14, I let out happy squeaks when I saw the news. I look back at the (admittedly) short period I had before the shutdown and I can safely say that any memories I had with CoH are overwhelmingly positive - from creating dumb royalty-free versions of popular heroes to trying to justify why a pyromaniac leprechaun would suddenly want become a superhero, to just spending time talking with people and standing around in Atlas Park admiring the creativity on display. It feels good to be home.

Thanks a whole ton. May we never be forced out of Paragon City again.

THANK YOU!

I felt like I was dreaming today when I saw a news article about CoH Homecoming. This game has always had a place near to my heart. It was my first MMO experience and I spent many of my high school and college years playing. When it finally was shut down a piece of me went with it. But now that its back, the memories I have from this wonderful game are filling me with overwhelming nostalgia! Thank you so much! You have brought back part of my childhood and I cannot express the joy I experience from hearing that someone took the time and money to bring back the best game of all time!