Say a thanks? Share a memory!

GM Xellx

I just awoke in a hotel room this morning to discover that someone had finally revived my favorite MMO of all time.  I don’t think I’ve even been so excited to get home from a vacation before.  Had I known I likely would have saved a lot of money and actually just played this for a week straight.  But alas, here we are.  Thank you to the entire team who developed the project, and understood the worth, depth and fun that CoH brought to so many of us! 

Just wanted to thank the devs/mods/etc for doing this - for bringing back fond memories of days past. My first (and only) MMORPG, CityOf was (and still is!) a great game to play/be a part of. Nothing else I've tried since 2012 has captured my imagination and game time as this game has. (Possibly/maybe POE)  I just found about 'Homecoming' yesterday and made the mad dash on the interstate to get home and install/try. The moment I heard Atlas Park music, I almost cried!  :D  A truly wonderful place to be, yet again.

I have not checked, but if Arcanaville, PhiloticKnight, Redlynne, the guy whose forum avatar was villan buddy Pine from The Incredibles - heck even JRanger and Craven too - are here on the forums, this will be a timewarp moment for me!

Thank you again for this, may it last as long as we all need it to last this time around!!

Guest The Adgramaine

Back in the day (yeah, I'm a CoH grognard) I started a silly RP character called The Kwipster. Yes, THAT Kwipster - I was the only one. Besides TFs and special missions like Frostfire, I completely solo'd levels 1-50. I got a lot of friends hooked on the game as well. Heck, I remember seeing Harry Dresden in game, seeing his character getting Random Character'ed and Jim's funny tale about making sure he could play HIS character in the game. A good laugh was had by all.

I really wish I had a way to recreate Kwipster without spending the long hours (thank goodness for being an insomniac, or it might have taken even longer) again. But right now, I don't much mind. As soon as I can get a new computer, I'll be right back in the game with you all, winning costume contests, hanging out with Skulls (because, Kwipster always thought they got a bad rap, especially towards his reaching level 40) and playing hide and seek with new heroes and offering 10 million Influence to anyone who could find him in Faultline... prior to cleaning up the place!

I had so much fun with the character that now I am just watching hosted vids on YouTube and waiting for a new computer so I can join everybody in Paragon once more and protect it from all the villainous scum who would do harm to our precious home.

Thanks so much for making it possible!

The Incompareable Magificant Kwipster

50 Claws/Regen Scrapper

Founding Member of the L.A.U.G.H SG

Virtue (2004-2012)

P.S. Kwip was illiterate, so he was always making typos....

So just a huge shout out to the devs responsible for bringing this back.  My wife and I played this game pretty much from launch until about 2010 where we got busy with just life things.  So we weren't playing on live when it shut down, but we did hear about it and it really sucked knowing that all that time and effort put in was for naught.  However that's just how things are when you play an MMO, and it wasn't our first go around with that part of it.

As far as the memory.  Well that memory was last Saturday.  When my wife and I rolled a tanker and a defender quickly using themes and names we had not used in years.  We did this so that we could hurry through character creation and get in game so that we'd be able to assist our twin boys in the process of choosing roles, archetypes, powers, and ultimately what their characters would look like and be named.  I never expected to be explaining this game to twin 7 year old boys in 2019.  As we all stepped into Atlas Park, some of us for the first time.  The sights, the music, and the sheer number of people flooded over myself and my wife.  This was old hat.  We had been here a thousand times.  Perhaps more.  But for our boys, this was all new, the shiny was awesome, the music was awesome, and just the sheer excitement on their faces made me remember how we felt back in 2004. 

So to the devs.  You guys are the awesome.  Just know there is a pair of 7 year old twins born in 2012 the same year this shutdown, playing it in 2019 because you guys had the heart to give it back to them.  They have no idea all the work, effort, and I'm sure legal issues y'all went through to bring it back.  They don't know yet, but one day they will and maybe once they do they'll go on to do great things because of the great things they're getting to experience now.

Many thanks to those responsible for re-opening the portals to the world of Paragon!

Prior to playing CoH I played EQ with friends, it held my attention for all of 3 months, I started playing CoH in 2007 and continued until the day it closed down. Resurrecting some old characters and creating new ones, it's been a blast running around city streets and alleys from Atlas Park to Mercy and beyond to Nova Praetoria.

Thank you!

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I didn't have a internet access when I was younger, but I watched G4TV shows (mainly Portal) they had tons of content on City of Heroes(CoH). I was obsessed. Vicariously playing it in my head for months. Then, I grew up, went to college, etc. Never got my chance to play the game. Thank you for bringing CoH back and giving me another chance at 30yo!  ;D

CoH was a game that I played non-stop alongside my two brothers.  It was something that all of us loved and we would get online all the time to play with character ideas, conquer challenges together, or just jump in random directions, doing nothing, and just spend an hour talking about god-knows-what.  It was something we all bonded over and would always look back on long after the game met it's final fate.  Every now and again we would just be out and about in some other game and be like, remember CoH and how we did (fill in silly thing here), and then we would chuckle about it or just reflect back on "The-Good-Old-Days".  I swear we must've seemed like 70 year old men reminiscing on all the old crazy adventures we went on.  Especially the eldest among us whom I didn't hold a candle too in in-game skill.

Now here the three of us are again, even though some of us are miles apart now... back in the game we thought was long forgotten to time... to relive our crazy adventures and to make new ones...

So allow me to speak for the three of us and say "Thank you, for allowing three Heroic/Villainous brothers, to relive The-Good-Old-Days once again.  No matter what the future may hold, you teleported us back to a simpler time and have allowed us to relive old memories we keep near and dear to us, and for that, we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts."

Well like so many others, I do need to say a big thank you to all those who are making this game available.

Had you told me a month ago I'd be playing CoH today I would have laughed.  If only the devs can make ME feel like I did in 2004 (15 years ago) then they'd REALLY be onto something!  But CoH being back is plenty.

Two memories I have - one pretty vague of doing either the Positron or Citadel TF for 7 hours.  Every map someone had to drop, then just before the last map 4 people dropped - had to eat dinner.  Undeterred (and not wanting the previous 5.5 hours to be wasted) we got new people and finished up the TF.

The other was Woodsman.  I think my MA/INV scrapper was 50 and maxed out in IOs (not sets though) and tried soloing Woodsman.  The AV being INV himself and resistant to smashing (which is the damage I was doing) we fought for 20 minutes straight with no winner.  We couldn't do enough damage to each other before either of us could use Dull Pain again.

When the game was live, my internet connection was so bad, i abandoned the idea of even trying to play it. When i finally got decent enough connection, it was literally days before the fatal announcement. So i logged in once, took a mournful look at the game i waited for so long to play, and logged out. But... here and now... we are back :) With all my heart, i thank you dear Devs for resurrecting City of Heroes.

Thanks a million. I quit playing in 2009, and cam back every once in awhile to check out new content. Once it was shut down permanently it was one of those things that you don't what you've got until it's gone.

Playing the game again brings back so many great memories. Just seeing the game environment was very awesome experience.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

Thanks for making all this happen.

I didn't exactly meet my (future) wife in CoH as I had chatted with her a bit online before, but we "dated" for years in the game. We lived on opposite sides of the country. We're now married with two kids, one of which will be old enough to play MMOs in a couple of years. We can't describe how great it feels to just run around in the game.

I dropped an in-forum thanks to the dev team after the Thursday move of the servers to Canada but you're right: we really should be thanking the devs a lot more. I'm still pinching myself to see if I am still dreaming about seeing CoX back online. Rest assured when the donation window opens up, they'll get a contribution from me as well.

Again, thanks devs.

No MMO has ever come close to this game and how much enjoyment it's provided, not to mention the amazing family of friends that make up the community. If the people who brought this back to us could read my mind, they would be overcome with emotion and burst into tears. *Thinks of Leo/helpers who labored for years to surprise everyone with a full, working game that NCSoft couldn't touch* I am beyond grateful.

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

This game was probably the start of my Super Hero obsession. It brought me great Joy during my teenage years. Thank you so much for your time and effort in bringing it back!  :)

EKOYitg.gif

First, I wanted to say "thank you" to all the people who have put in the hard work over the past six years to bring CoH back. And I have a little story to go with it.

I started playing CoH back in 2004 when it was in Beta. I got in about two weeks before it went live. I was in my 20s working in NYC in a job I really didn't like. I had a small circle of friends who I played with. And so when I moved from NY to appalachia (WV) in 2005, CoH was, by far, the easiest way for me to reconnect with the people I'd left behind. It was there while I went through grad school at WVU, found love and marriage and started a family. My son was six in 2012 and would occasionally look over my shoulder when I'd play CoH. He loved it. And I told him when he was old enough he'd be able to play and we'd play together. 

And then NCSoft pulled the plug.

Like almsot everyone we went through our stages of grief and we all moved onto other things because.. it was gone. My son and I played Minecraft, Don't Starve, Portal, Supreme Commander, and most recently Rocket League. We looked at other MMOs, but the negativity and griefing were something neither of us wanted to be a part of. And we went camping, played baseball and did all those things that families do. And once in awhile, particularly after watching a Marvel movie, he'd ask me why there wasn't a game like *that* that we could play. And I'd tell him there was... once.

We played Valiance Online (because we could get in on that aplha) and it was ok. But like every other successor it remains so unfinished. And he'd ask "Why don't all these people get togeteher and just make one game so we could play that?" (you have to love the wisdom of children) and all I could say was that for some people it's more important that they do something than to have something done.

And then this happened. At first, I didn't want to tell him. What if it was awfully done? What if my memory was too gilded? Would it even work? On his Win10 machine? So i tried it out one night on my own... and about 20 minutes later I was calling him into the computer room "Look! Caver's back. The city... is back."

He just stood there, open mouthed, looking at fifteen year old graphics, like us old people stared at the dinosaurs the first time we saw Jurassic Park back in 1993 in the theaters. "I want to play!" he said. And an hour later he had his own account set up. That night he came to me after we'd run a few missions and about all the remakes he said "now I see what they were trying to do".

So again, thank you. We both know this can be taken away from us at any minute. But even if it is, you should know you've touched thousands of lives, young and old. Good job.

I wasn't there at the VERY beginning, but joined a couple months later, and stayed till the end.  Favorite memories include me and my roomie playing scrapper and tank respectively, smashing and bashing Family and Tsoo around Independence Port.  I really loved when CoV came out and missed the various incarnations of my Night Widow terribly.  So glad to have her back.

Thank You just doesn't seem to be enough.  TYx1000000000000000!

The Wife, Son and I started playing by getting invited to the Beta. Pretty sure we got the invite through a gamer magazine. Been hooked every since. The CoV beta was a blast as well. We looked and played other mmos but there was always something missing. Now I remember what that was. CoH/Cov.

Anyway, from my Family to all of yours TY again. I feel like its xmas morning and Im 10 again!! Ty for returning pure joy to our gaming Family/community!!

This was the very first MMO I ever got into years ago. I recall all the countless hours I played...much to my wife's chagrin. Anyhow, I moved on to other MMO's, but CoH/CoV always held a special place in my gamer heart. I was really bummed when I tried to come back a few years ago and saw it was shut down. A fellow gamer-friend of mine let me know about this today and I plan on trying it out later.

Devs---Thank you 3000