Build Request Street Justice/Shield

JohnWolfen

15 minutes ago, JohnWolfen said:

1) Is having a taunt important for a Brute, especially if your playing with a group?

2) Should I try for a healing power to offset the lack of one in Shield Defense?

3) Is Perma-Hasten really that important for a tank or is that just a quality of life thing?

1: While a taunt is always helpful on a team its not as expected on a Brute

2: Build your defenses and resists up high first before you think about a heal.  I got by with Rebirth Destiny until I needed to get a bit tankier on my tank. So no you don't have to have a heal.

3) It's a QoL thing.  Your attacks will recharge well enough and pick up a few lotg and recharge bonuses along the way, no need to overdo it.  Hasten will do just fine on its own

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JohnWolfen said:

So having said that I have a couple extra questions:

1) Is having a taunt important for a Brute, especially if your playing with a group?

In most groups, especially as you approach higher levels, no, not really. It is not even like it is for Tankers (Nice, but not necessary) but if you want to be one of the relatively few brutes who can force foes to look his way and/or it provides good set bonuses by slotting Taunt IOs (my SS/Bio  brute did not take Taunt but slotted a full Taunt IO set because of the set bonuses) it can make sense.

2) Should I try for a healing power to offset the lack of one in Shield Defense?

Depends on your comfort level with where your mitigation is at. I am increasingly of a mind to shore up where a powerset combo is deficient in terms of resistances/defenses/healing/recovery by looking to set bonuses rather than powers. In particularly with the build I posted I wanted to make sure endurance was not an issue because if that is everything falls apart quickly. The idea I think would best suit Shield would be if you are getting hit rarely enough with enough being resisted/absorbed then a certain level of Regen should keep your health relatively static. That is why Health is six-slotted with Panacea. It drives up your Regen, gets a hefty +Recharge bonus, grants Endurance cost reduction, and boosts S/L resistance. You could shift slots into Physical Perfection for more, but those slots will have to be taken from elsewhere.

3) Is Perma-Hasten really that important for a tank or is that just a quality of life thing?

What Perma-Hasten allows are typically three things--[1] The ability to keep some other power up continuously, [2a] The ability to cycle a power more often, and [2b] If the power being cycled is an attack it means possibly being able to take fewer attack powers while maintaining an attack chain and hence freeing up the slots which would have gone into another attack power for use elsewhere (if you can cycle through four attacks without pause when would you use a fifth attack?).

The build posted does not have Perma-Hasten so you could play it as is, drop Hasten, save yourself a slot and not miss it. You could keep Hasten as I have it on some builds and intended it here as an emergency, "I need powers to cycle faster now in the thick of things". Or you could push for more global recharge enabling you to make it permanent with an eye toward the above [2b] consideration. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Erratic1 said:

Except every AoE is routinely declared to be, "Better on a Tanker".

A case can be made for AoE with DoTs. They might not be as big, but they can certainly hit harder.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

6 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

A case can be made for AoE with DoTs. They might not be as big, but they can certainly hit harder.

Yeah, DoTs are a shining point for Brutes. Wonder why I never see anyone declaring in other forums when damage auras come up (or here for that matter), "Better on a Brute"...because Brute aficionados are tasteful enough not to do that?