Civilians in the Rogue Isles should be neutral yellow instead of friendly blue

Rudra

All the civilians in the Rogue Isles should be a targetable neutral. The other NPCs ignore them, they are neutral to everything. PCs however, can murder them as they see fit. Could even spawn an Arachnos or RIP ambush if the PC does it a set number of times. Reason being:

[NPC] Mariano: Arista? That wimp? Try fighting Captain Mako. No, I haven't, but if I had superpowers I would. Pansy.

No villain ever would let some random person walk by and make that comment without putting the person in the hospital or morgue. As villains, random civilians shouldn't feel bold enough to openly mock the character. In private away from the PC? Of course. Not to the character's face though. It is a flaw of the Isles that the PCs are openly mocked by civilians that are supposedly intent on not drawing the PC's ire. (Mildly funny on occasion, but still a flaw.) So let the NPCs make their usual random comment. And PCs can be a villain and react to them instead of helplessly standing there and taking it.

Could even add a flag to the character for doing it to prompt new comments. "Psst. There's <character name>! (S)he is out of his/her mind! Puts random people in the hospital!"

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last lines.
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

4 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

Should have PvP force-enabled in all red side zones. No classy villain would tolerate some  brainless thug coming onto their turf and who going psychopath on all the potential pawns.

You know any classy villains that won't take action against random people dumb enough to openly mock them? Probably more so than a hero, a villain is dependent on their rep. And they have no rep if any random person can say whatever they want without fear of consequence. (And the whole point of the triggered ambushes is people taking action against the PC for attacking the populace. Could even make the ambush an AV or GM whose purpose is to punish such villains.)

By all means though. Be the classy villain that everyone mocks. I'm sure you are greatly respected for doing so.

That's the point. The civilians in the Rogue Isles have a litany of insults for almost every task you do.

You know the difference between a classy villain and a thug? The classy villain has thugs to silence those that offend them instead of doing it themselves.

And then you have Mayhems. Those are supposed to be major points the PC villain engages in as they climb the ranks. You know what the villains do in them? They blast the civilians for a badge. Those civilians are just running for their lives. Taking them down is distasteful.

In the Isles? The villains' home turf? The classy villain makes sure everyone knows that (s)he is the law and no one speaks out except in whispers to the police or heroes. Often, not even then. If this is a comic book game and the PC villains are such hot up and comers, why is every task not TF/SF oriented linked to an insult? Gotta teach the people to keep their heads down. Or, remove the Jack's view of the game and take the random "You scare the dickens out of me because you are a villain, but I'm going to openly insult you because I'm an NPC that you can't attack." out of the game.

Contrast blue side to red side. The hero goes to save another hero and his companions, fails to save said hero, but does rescue the companions? (S)he is the greatest hero ever! (S)he fought rival group to rescue (or fail to rescue rather) this other hero! A villain takes down the leader of an enemy faction and all his/her subordinates? Oh, you are such a joke of a villain. Seriously?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last paragraph.

"Villain" does not mean "hair trigger mass murdering lunatic."

Honestly, I wish I could toggle *off* the "can kill civilians" bit in mayhems. Most of my red (or grey) siders wouldn't do that. If this were enabled, I'd (A) want to toggle it off, and (B) have the heat keep getting turned up on you the more civilians you murder.

• Thumbs Up 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

8 hours ago, Greycat said:

"Villain" does not mean "hair trigger mass murdering lunatic."

Honestly, I wish I could toggle *off* the "can kill civilians" bit in mayhems. Most of my red (or grey) siders wouldn't do that. If this were enabled, I'd (A) want to toggle it off, and (B) have the heat keep getting turned up on you the more civilians you murder.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with you. The kill 1000 civilians for a badge is ridiculous. (Both the task and the badge.) The only reason I say we should be able to take down civilians red side is we can already do so in Mayhems and it actually makes sense red side as opposed to Mayhems. In a Mayhem, those civilians are running for their lives. The player is wiping them out just for a badge or for some sadistic pleasure. I understand the civilians were made targetable in Mayhems so players could vent on them from them shoving the player's character around so freely in Paragon City. Still was a dumb idea. However, if they can be targeted, then they should be targeted with cause. Not just because they happened to spawn in a Mayhem and some dev said "Badge! Kill them! Kill them all!"

I would honestly rather see the idiotic insults red side removed, but I'm fairly certain that will never happen. (You want the civilians to be insulting in a fun way? "<Character name>? Never heard of him/her." "They said WHO took down <Boss Name>?" Those would be much more fun insults.) So if civilians are to be valid targets, then let the ones that actually draw the ire of players be the ones to be targeted, not the poor saps running for their lives in a Mayhem.

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add lines in parenthesis.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

You know the difference between a classy villain and a thug? The classy villain has thugs to silence those that offend them instead of doing it themselves.

This ties into one of the things that disappoint me about redside -- you never get agency of your own; you start out as a legbreaker for street thugs, and work your way up to being a legbreaker for more and more powerful villains, but you're still a legbreaker. It would have taken a significantly different design for CoV to allow you to move up in rank in the power structure, acquiring your own henchpeople to send out on jobs.

9 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This ties into one of the things that disappoint me about redside -- you never get agency of your own; you start out as a legbreaker for street thugs, and work your way up to being a legbreaker for more and more powerful villains, but you're still a legbreaker. It would have taken a significantly different design for CoV to allow you to move up in rank in the power structure, acquiring your own henchpeople to send out on jobs.

I didnt break his legs,  i just described in detail what i would do to him and he gave me all the information i needed.

I see no issue with this idea. Nor do I understand the kickback. So they are yellow.... that still doesn't mean you HAVE to kill them. They aren't going to attack you as a yellow... so... don't attack them if you don't want to. OP is simply asking for the ability to attack them, if he wants, which would make sense as a villain. 

So, yeah, I wouldn't mind this change. 

EDIT: Hell I even like the idea of this triggering a response from RIP, or Arachnos, or even Longbow in some areas. It certainly would spice things up! 

Edited by th0ughtGun

Find me on Everlasting or Indom as:
Marbing (Psi/Rad Corruptor), Fortunata Moon (Fortunata Widow), Dynanight (Fire/DM Tank), Timesync (Elec/Time Corruptor), Static Sparrow (Elec/TA Controller), Cryo Punk (Ice/Cold Controller), Chamelea (SJ/Bio Stalker)Sword Fist (Claws/SR Scrapper), Mangusuu (DP/Nin Blaster), Blink Shot (Beam/Martial Blaster), Gear Fox (Beam/Traps Corruptor), Phonoalgia (Pain/Sonic Defender), Powered (FF/Energy Defender), Nullpunkt (Rad/Kin Corruptor), Black Fate (Fire/Therm Corruptor), Mirror Mage (Ill/Dark Controller),Gravoc (Gravity/Energy Dominator), Mind Pyre (Fire/Psi Dominator), Nettlethorn (Plant/Thorn Dominator), Boggle Blade (Psi/Invuln Stalker), Kelvin White (Ice/Regen Stalker), Dead Haze (Katana/DA Scrapper), Echo Boom (Sonic/EM Blaster), Ceyko (Archery/Time Blaster), Brainwasher (Mind/Poison Controller)Nachteule (DP/Dark Corruptor)Fulgrax (Axe/Elec Armor Scrapper)Void Knife (DB/Ice Stalker)Tryptophan Zombie (Mind/Kin Controller)Indo Manata (WP/Staff Tank), Masuku (Claws/WP Stalker)Blackbright (Rad/Energy Sentinel), Bedlam Bane (Sonic/Poison Corruptor), Helena Black (Necro/EA Mastermind), Boom Ranger (Sonic/TA Corruptor), Grave Sentinel (FF/Dark Defender), Dead-Life (DM/Regen Brute)

The down-side, as I see it, is that AoE attacks will hit (and possibly kill) civilians whether you want to or not. While that's more realistic, that's not usually how this game works. So any villains who don't want to murder innocents would suddenly have to be very careful about using AoEs out and about. 😕 

Coloden.png

It's fine, th0ughtGun. I knew even before I posted the thread that I was going to catch a lot of hate for it. I'm actually surprised I got as little as I did. I prefer playing red side, but the entire time you spend on red side is spent with the game calling you a terrible villain. Not a terrible person or a terrifying villain. Not an evil villain. Just a terrible villain. Like the devs made red side but wanted the player to know in no uncertain terms that they are playing wrong or wanted to shame the player back to blue side. "You defeated a key rival for your level? You're pathetic! Wait, you went hero and did the exact same thing? You're absolutely amazing! Greatest hero ever!"

Like I said though, I would rather the idiotic insults be removed and the kill... I mean... defeat civilians badge not exist. Since it does exist though and there is no way a badge is going to be removed from the game, then at least let it be for cause.

(Also, I understand this will never be implemented. So I guess, it's just a rant posing as a suggestion.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last paragraph.