Revamping my creaky old Fire/Storm

Onlyasandwich

Time for yet another build! 

I was inspired to pull my old Fire/storm out of the dustbin recently, and realized my old build is holding onto some outdated perspectives, and could use a bit of modernization. 

I wanted to both share the glory of Fire/storm with those who haven't tried it, and also invite any criticism or further optimization you might see here. Truly nothing shines brighter than these two sets together! I haven't experienced a character yet that quite matches the feeling of raw, majestic power. It is a very exciting playstyle as well - you have to stay focused to keep standing, but have very strong tools to endure in any situation.

My goals with this build:

• Pile on that recharge! I picked Psi epic for Mind over Body so I can pull Ageless instead of Clarion later on, and recharge is needed to keep it perma. Even with the best end support, this combo is thirsty and will really appreciate Ageless when unleashing fully. All the longish cooldown powerful resources here also benefit from this of course. I know I could get a bit more recharge by swapping hot feet to 5 slot Armageddon, but the extra end discount and recharge resist is worth the trade for me.
  • Sprinkle in extra damage any place I can find it. Even flashfire is doing decent damage here.
  • Just generally pick up whatever resist bonuses I can across the board without any specific focus. Grab the juicy bonuses that don't require going out of my way, pretty much.
  • Shore up recharge resist as much as possible as a secondary priority.

Playstyle notes:

• This build is very intentionally not relying on softcap defenses. I do have some baseline defense from powers, and am not completely ignoring slotting for it where relevant, but the idea is to rely on the power of my controls and debuffs to survive, with a baseline of good resists to back me up.
  • Hurricane is not an always on power here, but vital for solo work. Drop that immob and round 'em up. Stacked with the defense, Hurricane makes you pretty much untouchable.

Things that I would love to improve:

• Any additional end support without making significant sacrifices in other areas would be great. 
  • If there is a slotting strategy I am missing that would get me closeish to ranged softcap while maintaining the spirit of things, that might be worth considering.
  • Psi nado as my epic aoe is a necessary cost to taking Psi Mastery for Mind over Body. Nothing really to improve here, I just wanted to complain a little about Psi nado! I wish it cast like 30% faster.

If you want to see proper recharge totals, don't forget to toggle off the ffback procced powers.

The build:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Primary Power Set: Fire Control
Secondary Power Set: Storm Summoning
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Char -- HO:Nucle(A), GldNet-Dam%(33), NrnSht-Dam%(34), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(34), UnbCns-Dam%(34), GldJvl-Dam%(37)
Level 1: Gale -- Acc-I(A)
Level 2: Fire Cages -- SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(A), SprOvrPrs-Rchg/Energy Font(3), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(3), SprOvrPrs-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(5)
Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(7), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(27)
Level 8: Hot Feet -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(25), Arm-Dam%(25)
Level 10: Steamy Mist -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(11), RedFrt-Def(11), UnbGrd-ResDam(17), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(23), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(23)
Level 12: Flashfire -- SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(13), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(15), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(15), PstBls-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 16: Freezing Rain -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(27), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(43), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(45)
Level 18: Cinders -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(19), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(21), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(21)
Level 20: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 22: Tactics -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 24: Hurricane -- HO:Enzym(A)
Level 26: Bonfire -- SuddAcc--KB/+KD(A)
Level 28: O2 Boost -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg(29), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-Heal(31)
Level 30: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Fire Imps -- SlbAll-Build%(A), SlbAll-Dmg(33), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33)
Level 35: Tornado -- ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(36), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(36), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(36), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(37), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 38: Lightning Storm -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(39), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(39), Apc-Dam%(40), GldJvl-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Mental Blast -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(42), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(42), GldJvl-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), GldArm-End/Res(45), GldArm-ResDam(45)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(50), PstBls-Dam%(50)
Level 49: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(50), RechRdx-I(51)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(40), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(43)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(46), EndMod-I(46)
Level 14: Afterburner 
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Like 1

I went ahead and specced into this new build, slotting it out for play.

A second life for an old favorite for sure! This build holds up well in all sorts of play, but is definitely dependent on Ageless for really aggressive solo work at max level and settings. You can actually get by just fine solo at lower levels if you knock it down from +4. Since you have mez protection and pretty diverse resists, the approach to most factions is roughly the same. Open with either freezing rain or bonfire around the corner if possible - otherwise open with Flashfire. Drop cages, drop storm powers, then start blasting. Keep spamming those storm powers as they come back and you are going to be just fine. Don't forget to hop in the thick of it so hot feet can do its work. If you are in melee, focus your single target holds on bosses so they can't get a good swipe in between flops.

It also helps that I have a better key binding strategy to be sure all my powers at at my fingertips these days. As long as you keep pumping out powers, this guy stays afloat, and the enemies don't last for long. This is not the build for folks who avoid the piano!

If things get dicey, pop Cinders if it's up. If Cinders is down or you just have a lot of space to work with, pop hurricane and cages then corral them in a neat pile, keeping them debuffed all the while. If you get more adds, you're sure to have one of Bonfire, Freezing Rain, or flashfire up as well to toss in their direction. If you're feeling pretty in  control, flashfire is actually really nice aoe damage with this slotting too! Just pop it into your rotation.

Even if things get a bit chaotic, the good news is that most of your powers don't require much precision. Tornado, LS, and imps will keep hammering away, and your own aoes are very large. Before you know it, everything is just gone and you can breathe.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I went ahead and specced into this new build, slotting it out for play.

A second life for an old favorite for sure! This build holds up well in all sorts of play, but is definitely dependent on Ageless for really aggressive solo work at max level and settings. You can actually get by just fine solo at lower levels if you knock it down from +4. Since you have mez protection and pretty diverse resists, the approach to most factions is roughly the same. Open with either freezing rain or bonfire around the corner if possible - otherwise open with Flashfire. Drop cages, drop storm powers, then start blasting. Keep spamming those storm powers as they come back and you are going to be just fine. Don't forget to hop in the thick of it so hot feet can do its work. If you are in melee, focus your single target holds on bosses so they can't get a good swipe in between flops.

It also helps that I have a better key binding strategy to be sure all my powers at at my fingertips these days. As long as you keep pumping out powers, this guy stays afloat, and the enemies don't last for long. This is not the build for folks who avoid the piano!

If things get dicey, pop Cinders if it's up. If Cinders is down or you just have a lot of space to work with, pop hurricane and cages then corral them in a neat pile, keeping them debuffed all the while. If you get more adds, you're sure to have one of Bonfire, Freezing Rain, or flashfire up as well to toss in their direction. If you're feeling pretty in  control, flashfire is actually really nice aoe damage with this slotting too! Just pop it into your rotation.

Even if things get a bit chaotic, the good news is that most of your powers don't require much precision. Tornado, LS, and imps will keep hammering away, and your own aoes are very large. Before you know it, everything is just gone and you can breathe.

Any key binding suggestions? I haven’t used bindings, since I primarily play melees heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Any key binding suggestions?

Mine looks something like this:

e and shift+e are flashfire and psi tornado

T and shift+t are freezing rain and bonfire

z and shift+z are tornado and lightning storm. Alt+z is gale if I ever need it.

shift+f is cages, alt+f is cinders. I have f to pet attack - not often used, but handy when lore is up, and won't hurt if I accidently hit it.

v is indom will

I have a speed on demand fly+hover bind toggling with C. lshift+c is killing hover in case I ever need to land (needed to cast hot feet)

1-5 are char, mental blast, imps, 02, then judgement

Hasten is auto

Hurricane and hotfeet are right above action bar so I can alt+1 or alt+2 to activate them quickly.

All other toggles that stay on all the time are shoved to the right side of my bars.

I arrange these with respective keys and shift+key top/bottom. For example, flashfire is right below psi tornado - this helps me track visually. The idea is to have powers that are similar in theme or purpose share a bind pattern. 

For incarnate powers, Ageless is on lshift+r, doublehit is lshift+x, lore is on lshift+v

There we go! It takes a minute or two to adjust once bound, but easy to handle once you toss the powers around a few times. If you don't use accessible binds, be prepared to click around on your action bar a lot and be annoyed. : D

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thanks 1