City Of Heroes won't start up.

Zelene

Hello,

I was a longtime CoH player from April 2004 until it shutdown in 2012. I have recently found out about Homecoming and following the instructions on this site i set up a forum/game account and installed what needed to be installed. My problem is that anytime i click the play button it shows a loading message for a few seconds then the message disappears and i am not in the game.

I have made sure that neither my Antivirus nor my firewall are causing whatever the issue is. Any idea's on what is going on and how i can resolve the issue? 

Welcome Home @Zelene !

Some additional information may help us get you going.

Are you using Tequila or the Homecoming Launcher? ( Homecoming Launcher is custom designed for Homecoming and fully supported )

What is your equipment, PC or Apple? ( either works but the support is different )

What operating system software version? ( IOS, IOX, Linux, Win7 - Win11 should all be fine, best if 64 bit )

For Windows, did you create a Game folder on the Hard drive and install there? ( CoH Homecoming can not be installed in Program Files or Windows will squash it )

• Thumbs Up 2

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

7 hours ago, Marine X said:

Are you using Tequila or the Homecoming Launcher?

I am using the Homecoming Launcher.

What is your equipment, PC or Apple? ( either works but the support is different )

What operating system software version? ( IOS, IOX, Linux, Win7 - Win11 should all be fine, best if 64 bit )

Windows 10 64 bit PC.

For Windows, did you create a Game folder on the Hard drive and install there?

I was under the impression that  the Launcher would create the game folder there and install there on its own (well, when i clicked on install that is). I guess i should uninstall and try again?

Forgive my ignorance and thank you for your response to my questions.  I'm just unfamiliar with how this all works and assumed (incorrectly i suppose) that it worked like other MMORPG launchers.

1 hour ago, starro said:

Welcome back.

TY. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Marine X said:

For Windows, did you create a Game folder on the Hard drive and install there?

I checked where it installed to. It went to C drive then Games then Homecoming.

Was it suppose to go there or perhaps something else is wrong?

You may want to post a part of the launcher log file, it should show where the problem is.. could be part of missing CC or even the missing OpenGL Driver for the GPU.

This Installation Guide should be helping, check if u fit all steps listes inside it, some we can scratch away already and the Tequila Parts u dont need of course 🙂 .

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

hm, no obvious error, maybe one of the devs can look into it... it starts the process then exit for no reason.. maybe try to launch the Launcher with as "run as admin".

2022-01-30 02:50:44    gamemgr: Selected architecture win-x64
2022-01-30 02:50:44    process: Launching process C:\Games\Homecoming\bin\win64\live\cityofheroes.exe
2022-01-30 02:50:44    process: Command line: cityofheroes.exe -profile live -auth 51.161.76.201 -assetpath assets/issue24;assets/live
2022-01-30 02:50:44    process: Process 7200 started
2022-01-30 02:50:45    process: Process 7200 exited
2022-01-30 02:51:09    ui: Shutting down
2022-01-30 02:51:09    launcher: Exiting

• Thumbs Up 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Well then only the Devs can help, hope they see the thread soon.

Former Player on Server:

At this point best make a support request via the the Support Button in Forum top Menu (between FAQ and Server Status).

Former Player on Server:

If you haven't yet, disable Windows Defender or any Anti-Virus you may have and see if anything changes. If so it would give us some insight into what is happening.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 2/3/2022 at 4:24 AM, Marine X said:

If you haven't yet, disable Windows Defender or any Anti-Virus you may have and see if anything changes. If so it would give us some insight into what is happening.

Did so with both and still having the problem.

• Lead Game Master

Hmm, let's try something a bit more basic.

Under the "play" button is three small dots. Click that, then mouse over to "Verify" and click that. This will make sure all the game files are installed correctly.

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

• Retired Game Master

This may seem silly, but would be willing to entirely shut down your antivirus/firewall programs, then try to launch the game?

Not just confirm they let files pass.

Sometimes the simplest explination is the best.

On 2/6/2022 at 12:59 AM, GM Kal said:

We will have some of our tech folks look at your launcher log.

I'll get back to you on this, thanks for being patient.

Thanks for the reply. 

On 2/6/2022 at 2:16 AM, GM Impervium said:

Hmm, let's try something a bit more basic.

Under the "play" button is three small dots. Click that, then mouse over to "Verify" and click that. This will make sure all the game files are installed correctly.

I tried that after the first few attempts to log into the game. The verification seems to indicate nothing is wrong.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:44 AM, Bionic_Flea said:

Wow!  This was an all-hands-on-deck situation.

I hope Zelene got her/his issue resolved.

Not yet but i'm willing to wait. Hopefully they can figure out what the problem is.

• Retired Lead Game Master

I have made sure that neither my Antivirus nor my firewall are causing whatever the issue is.

Back to this.

Please try either totally disabling it, or whitelisting the *entire* directory for the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Lead Game Master

Let's get as much info as we can here.

In the HC launcher, click the little gear icon. In "General Settings". What does it say under "Install Location"?

Next, click "Advanced Settings". Make sure the three boxes are unchecked, and that the Launcher version reads "win-x64-release-4772". If the number is lower than that, click "Check for updates" right next to that.

Exit out of there and close/minimize the launcher.

In your Windows search bar, type in "dxdiag" without the quotes and hit Enter. A little program will pop up showing lots of info about your computer. If the Notes Section at the bottom of any of the tabs/pages lists any errors, copy and paste them here. Otherwise, just click the "Save all information" button, and make note of where you save dxdiag.txt. Open this file (it'll open in notepad) and make sure it doesn't contain any personal info; the file will be very large with lots of technical jargon, but any personal info would likely appear near the top (particularly if you named your computer "YourRealName's Computer" or something); Delete any such info, save the file, then attach it in a reply here.

• Thumbs Up 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

I'm not really tech-savvy enough to help, but I just wanted to say...
God, I love this community!  It's been nearly two weeks and we've still got devs and fellow players trying to help this returning player get back in the game!  This is the kind of thing that gives me hope for the future of humanity.

I hope to see you in the city soon, Zelene!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/9/2022 at 5:36 PM, GM Kal said:

I have made sure that neither my Antivirus nor my firewall are causing whatever the issue is.

Back to this.

Please try either totally disabling it, or whitelisting the *entire* directory for the game.

Did both. Still having the same problem.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:59 PM, GM Impervium said:

In the HC launcher, click the little gear icon. In "General Settings". What does it say under "Install Location"?

C:\Games\Homecoming 

Next, click "Advanced Settings". Make sure the three boxes are unchecked, and that the Launcher version reads "win-x64-release-4772". If the number is lower than that, click "Check for updates" right next to that.

The first box was checked so i unchecked it. The Launcher Version is the same as what you said it should be.  Maybe that's the issue?

In your Windows search bar, type in "dxdiag" without the quotes and hit Enter. A little program will pop up showing lots of info about your computer. If the Notes Section at the bottom of any of the tabs/pages lists any errors, copy and paste them here. Otherwise, just click the "Save all information" button, and make note of where you save dxdiag.txt.

It says no errors found. I did save it in a place i can find.

In your Windows search bar, type in "dxdiag" without the quotes and hit Enter. A little program will pop up showing lots of info about your computer. If the Notes Section at the bottom of any of the tabs/pages lists any errors, copy and paste them here. Otherwise, just click the "Save all information" button, and make note of where you save dxdiag.txt. Open this file (it'll open in notepad) and make sure it doesn't contain any personal info; the file will be very large with lots of technical jargon, but any personal info would likely appear near the top (particularly if you named your computer "YourRealName's Computer" or something); Delete any such info, save the file, then attach it in a reply here.

Before i post it i need to ask if i should remove my machines ID or not?