Odd graphical "stippling" after setting up new computer...

biostem

So I had some issues with my desktop so had to replace some parts.  After doing so, and logging back into CoH, I've noticed this weird "stippling" or dotted effect in what I presume are supposed to be shadowed/shaded areas of the character.  Can anyone advise me what setting I need to change to correct this?  Thank you so much!

Image for reference:

vaporsmith2.jpg

• Lead Game Master

Looks like it's happening in the background, too.

Have you properly updated all your drivers?

As this is a shadow setting, I would try disabling anything having to do with shadows in both the regular and advanced graphics options, then slowly turning them on/up from there. There might also be a mismatch with your resolution settings.

You could also try going into the launcher settings (hit the ... under the play button and hit settings) and check on the box that says "Reset graphic settings on next run". This will switch everything to default, and then you can readjust your settings from there (just make sure to uncheck this box before the next time you log in, or else it'll reset your settings again!)

It's kind of a shame, because I feel like people going for the "Golden Age/early Silver Age" look would actually get a kick out of this, as it looks like old-school coloring.

• Thumbs Up 1

GM Impervium
Homecoming FAQ; Need a hand? File a Support Ticket! Want to lend a hand? Apply to be a GM!

1 hour ago, GM Impervium said:

Have you properly updated all your drivers?

Yessir!

this is a shadow setting

My thoughts as well.  I'll have to tinker with it some more.

It's kind of a shame, because I feel like people going for the "Golden Age/early Silver Age" look would actually get a kick out of this

Reminds me a bit of old Archie Comics...

Thanks!

I figured it out!  It wasn't shadows at all!  It was Ambient Occlusion.  If the "Blur" setting is set to "No Blur", you get the stippling.  If you set it to anything else, you get the proper darkening of edges.  Thanks again!

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, biostem said:

I figured it out!  It wasn't shadows at all!  It was Ambient Occlusion.  If the "Blur" setting is set to "No Blur", you get the stippling.  If you set it to anything else, you get the proper darkening of edges.  Thanks again!

Came to state this as I was messing around trying to fix something else. Looks like having it enabled at all has been the cause of my crappy antialiasing all along.

• Thumbs Up 2