Force Field/Seismic Blast General Support

Oneofthe1d4

I've been playing a Force Field/Seismic Blast defender for a bit now and enjoying it. Fully aware that the FF's usefulness tends to drop off in some of the later content but it's entertaining enough and something I can dust off readily for random taskforces that need someone to fill out the ranks. However I'm at the point where I am looking to properly apply IO sets with a respec as well as decide what powers should be necessities and which are just nice additions.

A nice touch of the Seismic Blast powers is they all allow for the slotting of the Achilles Heel Res Debuff. So I can slot it into multiple powers to be hurling it around. However at the rate most mobs tend to go down the degree to which being able to hit multiple targets in the same pull with a Res Debuff is useful feels debatable.

Endurance doesn't feel like a major concern but I also do not feel like I am dealing with limitless amounts. Not certain the degree I need to be compensating for it but of course the more recharge I build up the more Endurance I will need.

I've played around a bit with the Medicine pool but rarely needed since almost every group seems to have someone with revival abilities and additional healing feels unneeded in most groups. Aid Self does not seem to provide much even with Field Medic strengthening it with an endurance boost.

I'm currently messing around with Power Mastery as an pool, its Power Build up is a nice addition but seemingly too short a duration to be useful.

Any advice about slotting or optimal power picks will be appreciated.

Power Build Up will apply to the full duration of your party bubbles.  PBU will make those Deflection and Insulation Shields supercharged for their full four minute duration, making pretty much your entire team untouchable until Streakbreaker says so (especially useful in a Worthy Opponent Old-School LRSF run as set bonuses are supressed and your team won't be auto-softcapped).  It will also further increase the potency of your Seismic -Def effects which will help in longer fights or against more defensive enemies.  Keep that in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

I'd personally skip Power Build Up and take Power Boost in Soul Mastery instead. Power Boost is up more frequently. It has a 15 second duration, and you can usually get it to around 40-50% uptime on a build. Get in the habit of hitting PB before using shields, like Zork mentioned the bonus lasts the full duration. Your big bubble, Maneuvers, Combat Jumping and any other toggle Defense powers will have bonus Defense for the 15 seconds Power Boost lasts, hitting Power Boost can keep you periodically incarnate capped for iTrial content. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I’ll screenshot my FF/Seismic build for ya. It’s easily one of my worst characters because Force Field is safety and nothing else in a game that begs for offense, but it’s still plenty playable.

EDIT: screenies sent

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Oneofthe1d4 said:

Thanks all. The screen shots as well as the comments on power buffing powers and their interaction with the force field effects are very handy.

Are there particular powers people would say are must include/exclude from the available options?

I think you know most of the answers: don’t skip the 2 shields, dispersion bubble, or entomb/tombstone and upthrust/meteor. 

What I will add is that IMO Repulsion Bomb is mandatory too. It looks lackluster but the thing to remember is its exceptional proc rate means you can transform it into a mini-nuke.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Oneofthe1d4 said:

Are there particular powers people would say are must include/exclude from the available options?

This is going to depend on how you envision your character I think.

Force Field gets dragged on the boards lot because of its shortcomings, but the one arena its contributions stand out to me is iTrials. Specifically, Force Field can be comboed with Power Boost to apply a Defense buff of around +38.5% with just three Defense IOs in the mini shields. This bonus is on a very short recharge, so there is no need to worry about people gathering, or reapplying it on anyone who dies. It lasts 4 minutes, right in the perfect sweet spot for most trials given how often players need to split up and run around. The quick recharge also means that by reapplying the shields every cycle you are shielding Lore pets, which in iTrials contributes to overall damage if they would otherwise have been killed.

It's funny because Force Field is not considered a game changer in most content, but I do think when optimized specifically for iTrials with Power Boost it may be the biggest game changer of any set. I'm hard pressed to think of a set that can turn around a possible failed trial better than it can, if played to its strengths.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

when optimized specifically for iTrials with Power Boost

Lowbie Teams, Itrials, ASF, and 801 too.  Incarnate capping a whole team is nothing to sneeze at.   Before the changes to Clarion * PBU stacking, a single FF could pump out 74 Defense teamwide.   I'm not sure what that number is now, but it's still very very high.   69-ish?   This is including Maneuvers and Dispersion Bubble.  You'd need to test it in-game to make sure to account for the Clarion*PBU changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

More informative answers, thanks all.

20 hours ago, arcane said:

I think you know most of the answers: don’t skip the 2 shields, dispersion bubble, or entomb/tombstone and upthrust/meteor. 

What I will add is that IMO Repulsion Bomb is mandatory too. It looks lackluster but the thing to remember is its exceptional proc rate means you can transform it into a mini-nuke.

The Forcefield 3 and those from Seismic were pretty much what I was thinking as necessary inclusions. Repulsion Bomb I was not aware about its proc rate though I had slotted it with Annihilation for the Res Debuff and set stuff for now.

While I've currently got Force Bolt (slotted to Knockdown to function as additional I get the feeling both the power pick and slots would be better spent on Seismic instead to mitigate by accelerating things dying.

Personal Force Field feels like it could be used to take the alpha in a team with entirely vulnerable characters but I think a team would need to be very odd for that to be worthwhile, to the degree that taking the alpha would not be enough to help it muddle through. I've yet to use it whenever things have gone south for the team.

Detention Field doesn't feel like strong enough control for most content. perhaps it'll have niche scenarios where it's needed?

Force Bubble maybe could be useful. It's knockdown on a toggle, I'm not usually endurance starved so could fit it in. But I also believe it tends to be obstructive to the rest of the team more than conveniently obstructing to the foe.

20 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

This is going to depend on how you envision your character I think.

Mostly I'm trying to put together something that'll help the rest of the team as best possible in more or less any content. I'll probably end up doing less endgame stuff just because my eternal desire for alts means I get easily distracted so this concept is mostly likely to be doing that but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible to not drag down any teams I end up on.

Being on Everlasting I naturally have an RP concept too but that fits well enough with most things :)

17 hours ago, Linea said:

Lowbie Teams, Itrials, ASF, and 801 too.  Incarnate capping a whole team is nothing to sneeze at.   Before the changes to Clarion * PBU stacking, a single FF could pump out 74 Defense teamwide.   I'm not sure what that number is now, but it's still very very high.   69-ish?   This is including Maneuvers and Dispersion Bubble.  You'd need to test it in-game to make sure to account for the Clarion*PBU changes.

Not up to Incarnate yet so can't check, when I do I'll confirm it (and edit it into this post too). As you say though those are some hefty numbers.

Anyone have thoughts on if there much point in chasing Recharge in set bonuses? I know many builds make it the norm but it doesn't feel as important for Force Field as a primary. That said I appreciate that it's rarely bad to have powers off recharge sooner.

Current slotting I've kitted out Dispersion Bubble with Reactive Defences fully and Maneuvers with 5 of the same set. Deflection Shield and Insulation Shield both have 4 of Red Fortune with Endurance and Endurance/Recharge omitted. I've scattered a few Achilles Heel Resistance debuffs across the Seismic powers but not certain if that's going to end up being excessive or the better sets to pursue for the powers there. Near as I can tell as well as the Ranged (or Ranged AOE) and Defender sets everything in Seismic also has the Defense Debuff and Accurate Defense Debuff sets so I'm not short on choices.

Other pools are still something I'm bouncing back and forth on. Leadership and Fighting seem like givens, I've tried the Medicine pool but it feels as though more than healing I should be mitigating damage harder rather than trying to do something I'm not really as good at.

12 hours ago, Oneofthe1d4 said:

The Forcefield 3 and those from Seismic were pretty much what I was thinking as necessary inclusions. Repulsion Bomb I was not aware about its proc rate though I had slotted it with Annihilation for the Res Debuff and set stuff for now.

While I've currently got Force Bolt (slotted to Knockdown to function as additional I get the feeling both the power pick and slots would be better spent on Seismic instead to mitigate by accelerating things dying.

Personal Force Field feels like it could be used to take the alpha in a team with entirely vulnerable characters but I think a team would need to be very odd for that to be worthwhile, to the degree that taking the alpha would not be enough to help it muddle through. I've yet to use it whenever things have gone south for the team.

Detention Field doesn't feel like strong enough control for most content. perhaps it'll have niche scenarios where it's needed?

Force Bubble maybe could be useful. It's knockdown on a toggle, I'm not usually endurance starved so could fit it in. But I also believe it tends to be obstructive to the rest of the team more than conveniently obstructing to the foe.

Mostly I'm trying to put together something that'll help the rest of the team as best possible in more or less any content. I'll probably end up doing less endgame stuff just because my eternal desire for alts means I get easily distracted so this concept is mostly likely to be doing that but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible to not drag down any teams I end up on.

Being on Everlasting I naturally have an RP concept too but that fits well enough with most things 🙂

Not up to Incarnate yet so can't check, when I do I'll confirm it (and edit it into this post too). As you say though those are some hefty numbers.

Anyone have thoughts on if there much point in chasing Recharge in set bonuses? I know many builds make it the norm but it doesn't feel as important for Force Field as a primary. That said I appreciate that it's rarely bad to have powers off recharge sooner.

Current slotting I've kitted out Dispersion Bubble with Reactive Defences fully and Maneuvers with 5 of the same set. Deflection Shield and Insulation Shield both have 4 of Red Fortune with Endurance and Endurance/Recharge omitted. I've scattered a few Achilles Heel Resistance debuffs across the Seismic powers but not certain if that's going to end up being excessive or the better sets to pursue for the powers there. Near as I can tell as well as the Ranged (or Ranged AOE) and Defender sets everything in Seismic also has the Defense Debuff and Accurate Defense Debuff sets so I'm not short on choices.

Other pools are still something I'm bouncing back and forth on. Leadership and Fighting seem like givens, I've tried the Medicine pool but it feels as though more than healing I should be mitigating damage harder rather than trying to do something I'm not really as good at.

I’ll be honest (in my opinion based in the general way the game is played, not saying it’s the only way):

outside of the niche uses above, what’s appealing about ff is that you’re running with some base defense + status protection, allowing you slotting flexibility. It’s also light in power picks while still giving you the strength of the set.

Take the Ally bubbles, dispersion, repulsion bomb

you can take force bubble for fun if you want, it does have some random uses that warrant it as a pick for me (as in a pick for the lulz lol).

. Throw your bubbles, become a blaster for the most part, rethrow bubbles. Etc. your bubbles do their job defending, and controllers throw around random pbaoe heals to clean up health bars. Yes, lots of people build for 45% defense, but not everyone has def debuff resistance and not everyone builds for everything outside of S/L or Ranged/Melee. 

Like I said, one of the best parts of FF is that you do your job without having to cast silly things instead of damage  and you have some mez protection. No need to go medicine, which I have taken on ff for low levels back when people expected the defender to be a healer (which is not common, can’t even remember the last empathy char I’ve seen, “healer” or otherwise lol) 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The must have powers for FF are Deflection Shield, Insulation Shield, and Dispersion Bubble.  You are not an effective team bubbler without them.  As for the rest:

• Personal Force Field: Nice to have while leveling, but not particularly useful once you softcap all defenses.  Only needs one slot.
  • Force Bolt:  Situational but fun power.  Only needs one slot.  But go ahead and slot some KB enhancements in it just for giggles.  Fun for playing Clockwork golf on Steel Canyon rooftops.  Fore!
  • Detention Field: Skip.  Uncancellable intangibility for 30 seconds is annoying for all.
  • Repulsion Field: Situational.  There are two slotting strategies.  The first is to use it for KB and slot 1-2 recharges.  The second is to 3-4 slot it with 1-2 recharges, a KB to KD, and a FF proc.  The first approach is useful if you are going for KB focused build.  The second approach seems useful, but not as much as you would expect, since the KB to KD enhancement reduces the KB procs from .5 secs to 5 secs.   So, if you are expecting it to be like bonfire you will be disappointed.
  • Repulsion Bomb: Nice AoE DPS power with guaranteed KD.  The only drawback is its slow animation time.  I recommend you take it and pack it full of procs.
  • Force Bubble; Highly situational but fun power.  Only needs one slot.

There are three different play-styles with bubblers:

• Offenders:  They spend most of their time blasting.  Offender FFs are SR Sentinels, before sentinels existed.
  • Pinball Wizards: They are controller builds that use KB to keep mobs off their feet.  Often paired with energy blast.
  • Shepherd Collies: They are tanker builds that use force bubble to aggro and herd mobs and personal force field to eat alpha strikes.

My bubbler is an offender build.  So, my opinions on the FF powers are biased towards that.

Edited by Asymptotic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Asymtoptic has some great advice. +1 to their comments.

One slight personal preference is Repulsion Field over Force Bolt. Even with tons of accuracy Force Bolt can miss, and it roots you and suppresses travel. Repulsion Field on the other hand works even during other power animations and will not root you. I personally consider Repulsion Field a key Force Field power.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:31 AM, Oneofthe1d4 said:

Slot it:

Javelin Volley: Chance for Lethal Damage

Bombardment: Chance for Fire Damage

Positron’s Blast: Chance for Energy Damage

Explosive Strike: Chance for Smashing Damage

Annihilation: Chance for Resistance Debuff

Force Feedback: Chance for Recharge Buff

• Thumbs Up 1

Adding another quick note about Psi Defense because this is something I sometimes have to re-learn myself every time I replay City of. 🙂

When you glance at Force Field's ally shields you'll notice they lack Psi Defense, which may lead you to believe that Psi is a significant hole for Force Field. However, the shields provide Melee, Ranged, and AoE Defense, so unless an attack lacks one of those tags, Force Field is still effective against it. In practice, most Psi attacks except for the ones derived from the actual Mind Control set have those tags, so while you might occasionally encounter an enemy who can slice through Force Field's defense easily, its not common.

A much more siginificant threat, of course, is -Defense, since Force Field doesn't provide any Defense Resistance; OTOH if someone does get hit with -Defense its still better to have it happen with a huge amount of extra Defense in the bucket.

Re: DDR

1. Ageless Radial T4 +special.  A pair of these rotated will keep a whole team 63+ish.  Not rotated a pair will still keep a whole team 42ish.  Not paired it varies 22 to 88?  But still well worth it.
  2. Vengeance 😜  Clarion*PBU*Vengeance*Bubbles is a thing of beauty.  The timing is rough, and you often have to settle for less.  But when it all comes together!

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

3 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Adding another quick note about Psi Defense because this is something I sometimes have to re-learn myself every time I replay City of. 🙂

When you glance at Force Field's ally shields you'll notice they lack Psi Defense, which may lead you to believe that Psi is a significant hole for Force Field. However, the shields provide Melee, Ranged, and AoE Defense, so unless an attack lacks one of those tags, Force Field is still effective against it. In practice, most Psi attacks except for the ones derived from the actual Mind Control set have those tags, so while you might occasionally encounter an enemy who can slice through Force Field's defense easily, its not common.

A much more siginificant threat, of course, is -Defense, since Force Field doesn't provide any Defense Resistance; OTOH if someone does get hit with -Defense its still better to have it happen with a huge amount of extra Defense in the bucket.

Force Bubble AoE +Resist(-def debuff), +absorb inc