Opportunity Strikes!

cohRock

My psi/will Sentinel is slotting the Opportunity Strikes archetype-specific set in his cone attack, Psychic Scream.  He'll eventually have the set 6-slotted and every element upgraded to its superior version.  The first element he slotted was the set's proc.  When it goes off, big red text scrolls up from the center of the screen, "Opportunity Strikes!"  I'm pretty sure that one of the things causing it to trigger is how many foes have been hit by that attack, because when he's hitting lots of foes at once, it can trigger consecutively.  For one or two foes at a time, I might fire the attack 5 or 6 times before it triggers again.  So being in a cone (or some sort of AoE) is advantageous.

Now that's great and all, but now I must profess my ignorance.  I don't really know what it does when it triggers, nor to how many foes at once.  When normal Opportunity is triggered from the first or second attacks  of the primary set, a targeting circle appears beneath the affected foe.  But with the proc, there is (are) no red circle(s), even when just one foe was hit by the attack.

Was everyone damaged by the cone on that triggering event affected?

Which effect(s) is/are applied, -def, -res, or +dmg?

How long does the effect last?  Can it stack on itself?

Is the effect consistent or affecting each foe randomly?

Will the effect be enhanced when the proc becomes superior?

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

Haven't played my sentinels in a good while, but from what I recall:

The ATO +Chance for Opportunity works on a mob to fill your bar quicker (so 10 at the most???)
Once your Opp bar is filled, you have a choice to fire T1 or T2 primary to use up the bar. It's been documented that you can fire both at the same time if you time it right.
T1 gives you a damage buff and one foe -res (the reticule aura) for 8 seconds
T2 gives you +recovery, +def??? and -res to a foe for 8 seconds
IIRC, Opportunity is awesome in the lower levels, but tends to be eclipsed by other powers in the higher level and endgame.

I'm definitely not sure about the values. do a search for Opportunity or @oldskool as he's practically the Sentinel Sensei.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cohRock said:

Was everyone damaged by the cone on that triggering event affected?

Which effect(s) is/are applied, -def, -res, or +dmg?

How long does the effect last?  Can it stack on itself?

Is the effect consistent or affecting each foe randomly?

Will the effect be enhanced when the proc becomes superior?

1) No. Given it was Psychic Scream, all 6 targets had the whatever% chance to trigger the proc. BUT! It can proc off of every target available, so for obvious reasons an aoe attack is the best place for the proc.

2) None of the above. The proc gives 35 Opportunity (affected by purple patch) to fill you bar, which once over 90, allows you to use your T1 or T2 to apply the -20% res debuff and either grants additional damage or a health/end replenish.

3) Instant. Yes.

4) Random based on proc chance of the power.

5) The superior version gives 35 opportunity, the normal one gives 25. Both are 1PPM.

Thank you everyone for the info.

I had thought that Opportunity Strikes! would be more direct.  It's more of an "opportunity available soon, maybe now."  It is curious that the whole team is informed that this fired.  Would I care if I saw a teammate received it?  I don't think so.

-- Rock

Also worth pointing out, the Sentinel's Ward proc can also fire on all targets of a cone.  My Rad Sent has that in Electron Haze so that I can occasionally get a big stack of Absorb when shooting into groups.  It helps because Regen falls apart at the slightest breeze and i'll take whatever help I can get.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

22 hours ago, cohRock said:

I had thought that Opportunity Strikes! would be more direct.  It's more of an "opportunity available soon, maybe now."  It is curious that the whole team is informed that this fired.  Would I care if I saw a teammate received it?  I don't think so.

Its not a great proc since there is a limit on how much Opportunity you need (90+ out of 100) and a time period where further procs do nothing (do not gain opportunity meter while the effect is active for 15 seconds). The low PPM value makes including it in single-target dubious in its value as Opportunity itself doesn't contribute enough damage to eclipse proc stacking. Therefore, those ATOs may find a home in either filler attacks (single-target) or AoE attacks to increase the odds of trigger the effect (proc chance per target). 

Some Sentinel sets have funky Opportunity building effects which can combine with the ATO proc to essentially fill your bar with minimal effort. Sonic Blast cones and Flamethrower in Assault Rifle all come to mind. 

Still, building your character around the ATOs is largely a waste of time unlike how other ATs can have fairly critical choice in their ATO placement. The set bonuses can be worth it, but the procs aren't by themselves. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Also worth pointing out, the Sentinel's Ward proc can also fire on all targets of a cone.  My Rad Sent has that in Electron Haze so that I can occasionally get a big stack of Absorb when shooting into groups.  It helps because Regen falls apart at the slightest breeze and i'll take whatever help I can get.

I plan on eventually getting both sentinel-specific sets in their full form (6 enhancements, brought superior).  Currently just have 5 of Opportunity Strikes and 4 Catalysts, so I'll upgrade that one when I have 6 of each.  My first Sentinel's Ward enhancement will be the proc, like you say, free absorb sure won't hurt.  His Willpower is very effective and is buffed by two 3% global defense procs, the 5% resist proc,and the 3% plus (up to 13%, I think) scaling resist proc.  So he has less worries about the RNG declaring him dead at random points.  But still, free is free.  🙂  And it will go in Psychic Wail, his tier 9 PBAoE, so the proc will affect a lot of foes at once, at the exact point when he has drawn max attention to himself.  Yeah, I think I'll like that.

-- Rock