Patch Notes for June 5th, 2019

• Retired Game Master

Sooo when / is null the gull coming back?  I mean he has more uses than just swapping alignment.

They're working on a fix and are hoping to have it out very, very soon.

I have issues with Discord because of its impermanence. See, we can today look back at the old forum posts of the past and glean knowledge... and with the Wayback Machine, we can even grab that knowledge from sites who have long been gone. Can we do the same with Discord? I think not.

Actually, Discord channels will keep their entire history... it's just a pain in the neck to read them compared to a forum. (Of course, a suitably old and well-used forum can be a pain in the neck to dig through as well, but we're a long, long way off from that point.)

Okay, call me ignorant. How easily searchable is it? How organized is it? Because, from what I've seen, there's channels, and each channel is like one giant "thread", and it's hard to follow a conversation when it's not partitioned out into topic-specific threads.

• Like 1
I'm out.

• City Council

I have issues with Discord because of its impermanence. See, we can today look back at the old forum posts of the past and glean knowledge... and with the Wayback Machine, we can even grab that knowledge from sites who have long been gone. Can we do the same with Discord? I think not.

Actually, Discord channels will keep their entire history... it's just a pain in the neck to read them compared to a forum. (Of course, a suitably old and well-used forum can be a pain in the neck to dig through as well, but we're a long, long way off from that point.)

Okay, call me ignorant. How easily searchable is it? How organized is it? Because, from what I've seen, there's channels, and each channel is like one giant "thread", and it's hard to follow a conversation when it's not partitioned out into topic-specific threads.

Searchable, yes, if you can remember an exact phrase or who started the line of conversation you want to read. Organized, not at all, for exactly the reason you give.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

All my AH Items are gone....

Yeah.....  Mine to.....

Seriously, this is way not cool.  I may not have had as much as some farmers, but that was around 6 mil with of stuff.  All gone.  Just starting out, that hurts.

Edit: Relogged onto same toon, it's all back.  YAY

A sense of nervousness just washed over me. This has happened to me before although I didn't have much in the AH, but now I have tens of millions in influence tied up, rares for sale, stored items etc.

Fingers crossed this isn't the case this time, or at least this time my stuff can be recovered....

Just a guess but I think it either takes the AH server a little longer to spin up than the player shards or it needs all the shards up first to be functional. Only time I've ever seen my AH listings not displaying is when I get back on right after a re-start and all the shards aren't up yet.

Nuclea - Rad/Rad Defender - Defiant - LoonyToons

Searchable, yes, if you can remember an exact phrase or who started the line of conversation you want to read. Organized, not at all, for exactly the reason you give.

Okay, thank you. 1 point for Forums in this case. Discord is fine, but it's essentially an enhanced CHAT client, seemingly meant for "superficial", temporary and instantaneous communication. And for that, it's great. But for long term, in depth discussions? We REALLY need a good, organized, structured, and well developed forum for that.

I'm out.

Okay, thank you. 1 point for Forums in this case. Discord is fine, but it's essentially an enhanced CHAT client, seemingly meant for "superficial", temporary and instantaneous communication. And for that, it's great. But for long term, in depth discussions? We REALLY need a good, organized, structured, and well developed forum for that.

I like to think of it as a forum with extremely crippling ADHD.

• Haha 1

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I like discord because it's more convenient for immediate answers.

And the problem is that once your question is answered, it disappears into the neverending scroll of text.  So, someone else who has the same question will have to ask it again... Which means that the people answering questions have to answer the same questions over and over ad nauseum.   

Whereas, if people would stop by the forums and do a search, they would most likely find their questions had been answered already.

.... Discord is fine, but it's essentially an enhanced CHAT client, seemingly meant for "superficial", temporary and instantaneous communication. And for that, it's great. But for long term, in depth discussions? We REALLY need a good, organized, structured, and well developed forum for that.

THIS

One Hundred Percent

In my point of view, Discord is nothing else than an IRC network, centralized and proprietary for only one purpose : data mining.

@Pifou

Pulsar-Boy / Idees Noires / IEM / Surtension / SuperMarseillais

Actually, Discord gives the admins the ability to pin important posts, so they are always easy to find.  It's just a matter of them doing it, and you finding them to be helpful/informative. 

The other thing Discord offers that forums don't, is built-in voice connectivity.  Makes it easy to coordinate play times, and get on a voice channel, all in one.  I know there are other ways of doing it, but the group I play with has their own Discord channel, so we chat there, and use the voice services during play.  It works out well once folks get all of the audio stuff working.

What was no more, is REBORN!

Great, the audio element is great... for a chat program. Allowing pinned posts is fine, but it's still a single pinned post, not a whole topic-related thread/dialogue.

Once again, I say... Discord is GREAT, for short, momentary things. But for the long haul, you want something that's more permanent, more transparent, more easily searchable and browse-able. I haven't seen anything better than a good forum for that.

I'm out.

Great, the audio element is great... for a chat program. Allowing pinned posts is fine, but it's still a single pinned post, not a whole topic-related thread/dialogue.

Once again, I say... Discord is GREAT, for short, momentary things. But for the long haul, you want something that's more permanent, more transparent, more easily searchable and browse-able. I haven't seen anything better than a good forum for that.

You're beating a dead horse.  I entirely agree with you.  Sadly, unfortunately, the majority don't.  Which is why in gamer communities forums are dead and Discord thrives.  It's annoying at best, I know.  But it is what it is.

Sooo when / is null the gull coming back?  I mean he has more uses than just swapping alignment.

They're working on a fix and are hoping to have it out very, very soon.

oh shhhiiiiout  ... dat bird be back already.  ;D

Has a toon of EVERY prim/sec combination(2062)

You're beating a dead horse.  I entirely agree with you.  Sadly, unfortunately, the majority don't.  Which is why in gamer communities forums are dead and Discord thrives.  It's annoying at best, I know.  But it is what it is.

Personally I see it as just another change, not good or bad, it just 'is'.

I also think this game in terms of forums and stuff is in an odd spot.

Back in it's heyday, forums were more popular.

Since the Live sunset, forums sporouted up all over to discuss and mourn.

IMO, many if not most 'CoH community' members that are avid Internet posters probably already have the forum they like - adding this one just dillutes in the end.

So, for the old-guard, forums are more comfortable.

Gamers as whole have moved on to other communication channels and 'corporate' gaming forums are little more than whine-fests, where real conversations occur instead on reddit or other places, not censored by the game makers.

So for this game, IMO, it's in an odd spot in terms of where players might prefer to get thier information.

Personally, I simply default to wherever the 'game maker' seems to post the most good data and watch that channel for news if I am in a hype cycle.

Now a funny one is that to many young gamers, _Discord_ is for 'old' people...from the startup 'sayings' to the UI...so, things change, fast.

• City Council

Yes, which is why we put announcements here, ask for feedback here, and direct suggestions here.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Yes, which is why we put announcements here, ask for feedback here, and direct suggestions here.

dDXlHYP.jpg

I'm out.

I hate the Discord website/PC interface quite intensely.  No idea if it's any easier to use on an 'app'.

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Having the ETA for the servers coming back up after a patch in the Discord is good, and that's a good venue to communicate changes in estimated downtimes in real time.

But it does seem like they should have an idea of what the downtime will be and should be able to include at least the initial estimate both for when the servers are coming down and when they'll be back up in the forum post with the patch notes.  And I'd find that quite useful, personally, and I doubt very much that I'm alone :)

I hate the Discord website/PC interface quite intensely.  No idea if it's any easier to use on an 'app'.

I think it is, but your mileage may vary.

What was no more, is REBORN!

I'm really glad CoX is finally back for everyone who wants to play it now, for the first time in seven years.  I'm also glad the sniper nerfs were rolled back on the beta server.

I wish the Homecoming team would stop constantly nerfing things and attempting to nerf other things.  Running private servers is one thing. Slowly hacking away at CoX until it bears less and less resemblance to the game we all loved (the reason we are even here) isn't cool.  Driving lots of players away to other CoX private servers isn't going to do too many favors for Homecoming's server populations, either.

I'm really glad CoX is finally back for everyone who wants to play it now, for the first time in seven years.  I'm also glad the sniper nerfs were rolled back on the beta server.

I wish the Homecoming team would stop constantly nerfing things and attempting to nerf other things.  Running private servers is one thing. Slowly hacking away at CoX until it bears less and less resemblance to the game we all loved (the reason we are even here) isn't cool.  Driving lots of players away to other CoX private servers isn't going to do too many favors for Homecoming's server populations, either.

I echo your sentiments about really glad CoX is finally back.

As for changing things, well that is the quintessential CoX experience - the team did what 24 major issues, and like 3 minor issues?  Change is what CoX is all about.  It was never a static things. 

I understand that change can suck, and for everyone who loves a change, there will be at least 1 person who hates it.  But I do hope they keep making changes and letting the game evolve.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

how do I download the patch and where do I find it?  please help    just started coh and i love it

Have you already downloaded Tequila?  If not follow this guide -> https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,950.0.html

I suspect you have though, in which case just close Tequila and restart it and it will automatically download the game

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting