A Dark/Regen Build

Spaghetti Betty

I am fixated on two armor types, Dark and invulnerability.  So, full disclosure up front.

Dark/Dark is a Beast.  I have written diatribes on the subtleties of this (what looks to be a straightforward resist set) finely nuanced set.

Dark/Invulnerability is the pinnacle of "I do not give a shit"  Built correctly (please do not even mention how you can fix the Psi hole, I will hunt you down) a Dark/Invulnerability can wade into anything in the game and be okay.  Yes, psi is a problem.  Eat an orange and fade into Scrapper tactics.  You're a Brute, act like you got a criminal mind.  Other than that just out of the box Dark/Invul is near God Mode.  With a Hyperstrike Invul build tweaked for global Recharge (Dark/Invul tightens up so sweetly with recharge....) and you are a shining example of what real damage in a tank shell can be.

Im not entirely sure what invuln has to do with this discussion? Confused.

As for @Yomo Kimyata, take a look at the link in my signature, that tool will be more valuable than the counter points id make.

Ill try to find time to build out the improved version of this whirlwind shinanigans I have in my head and share it. If I get really into it ill do a scrapper version as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Koopak said:

Im not entirely sure what invuln has to do with this discussion? Confused.

As for @Yomo Kimyata, take a look at the link in my signature, that tool will be more valuable than the counter points id make.

Ill try to find time to build out the improved version of this whirlwind shinanigans I have in my head and share it. If I get really into it ill do a scrapper version as well.

I meant to preface my post with: “Why are you using Regen?”   Regen is, in my opinion, not a synergistic pairing with Dark.  Unless it is a character concept necessity I would jump over to Dark or Invul for much better performance 

Edited by Snarky

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I meant to preface my post with: “Why are you using Regen?”   Regen is, in my opinion, not a synergistic pairing with Dark.  Unless it is a character concept necessity I would jump over to Dark or Invul for much better performance 

Well, Snark, sometimes you (by which I mean, "me" or "us oddballs") get an urge to try to take a really crappy powerset and see what you can do with it.  I'm not sure why I get this urge, but I occasionally do.  When it happens, I may take regen, Kin melee, or sentinel cold blast or (insert underwhelming powerset here) and see what I can make with it by pairing it with something good.

Of course, I'm almost always disappointed with the results, but it's an itch I just have to scratch.  🤓 🤷‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Snarky said:

I meant to preface my post with: “Why are you using Regen?” 

The same reason you commented about Invuln in a thread about Regen. Because I can.

• Haha 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

28 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

The same reason you commented about Invuln in a thread about Regen. Because I can.

....because it is a discussion about an AT I enjoy?

...to pump my forum numbers so I will be famous like a Rok Stah?

...to confuse the debate for no apparent reason?

...to elicit strange reactions?

you decide.

4 minutes ago, Snarky said:

....because it is a discussion about an AT I enjoy?

...to pump my forum numbers so I will be famous like a Rok Stah?

...to confuse the debate for no apparent reason?

...to elicit strange reactions?

you decide.

After very little deliberation I've decided that it's all of the above.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

One of the reasons I'm enjoying this thread is because it has given me the opportunity to revisit some things I really never looked at much before.  Let me be clear:  I like Dark Melee (which I think is an incredible set when played well, and I'm only disappointed that it got dumbed down IMO) and I like Regen (partly because it is a more difficult/less forgiving set to play).  I certainly don't want to come across as a naysayer, because that is exactly the opposite of my intention!  I really enjoy the fact that something I built two years ago and did fine with can be improved so much more.  Thanks to City of Data and my newfound usage of it (all hail Uberguy), I'm doing a deep dive on power sets and reconsidering everything I knew.

For example:  Instant Healing has 600% regen unenhanceable and 200% enhanceable.  So with zero healing investment in enhancements, you get 800%, and with effective maxed out levels of healing (call it 100%, or something over 2 lvl 50 +5 IOs) you get 1000%.  So my blind go-to has been to five slot it with Panacea or Doctored Wounds, but both of those choices are for +recharge and a few other minor bonuses.  Let's say I would 5-slot Panacea normally.  Now let's consider 4 slotting it with 2x lvl 50+5 healing and 2x lvl 50+5 recharge and move that extra slot to another power that expects to activate a FF +recharge once a minute.  That's not a bad tradeoff.  Now I may ask, well, am I really benefitting from slotting the healing, since I'm not sure that extra 200% regen is going to be the thing that saves me?  So maybe I only two slot Instant Healing with +recharge IOs, and now I have some more slots to play with elsewhere.  Instant Healing and Integration are the places I'm looking, and for my lvl 50 builds I'm looking at cutting them down to two slots each and putting in lvl 53 DSo R/H and lvl 53 goglis respectively.

It's really enjoyable to look at things with fresh eyes a year or two later and understand, oh, I know why I went that way, but let me try something else.  And the game is forgiving enough (even with regeneration!) that you never need an "optimal" build to succeed most of the time.

Who run Bartertown?

Alright so I put this together and tested it on Beta. Easily blows through +4x8 Arachnos, will need to put it up against some nastier stuff like Incarnate Banished Pantheon, but it can handle 90% of Arachnos pulls without using any non end based cooldowns. End is very tight, but could be improved by dropping damage for a stronger end Alpha than Musc Radial. However this keeps the solid ~200 estimated dps of the previous build, improves on all previous builds over all durability at the cost of the added burst durability Unrelenting provided (had to drop it)

Two areas could use improvement but im pretty strapped for slots i dont want to give up. One is endurance, you need to use Dark Consumption, Ageless Radial (which youll need anyways) and occasionally Moment of Glory (yes mog is an end tool, fight me) to sustain long fights with Whirlwind on. However as long as you manage Whirlwind and Darkest Night, and your end tools properly you should be fine.

The other issue I ran into is Whirlwind actually does have accuracy and is NOT auto hit, you can see this in your "Last Hit Chance" monitor. So some improvement could be made by finding ways to sneak more accuracy into it, however this will make the endurance issue it causes worse as the -1.5 end to self is applied on hit, thus a 95% chance to hit might be undesirable. Frankly as it is, it seems to keep mobs thoroughly juggled, since its running your base to hit plus global accuracy mods which will be 62.1% (you can use Kick to see it since it'll be the same) with this build against lvl 54 enemies.

Anyways here's the Brute version ill try to get to the Scrapper version tomorrow. I again caution this is a very active build, which is dangerous because it can roll into many groups and go asleep and be safe until a minute or two later the blue bar dies. Pinging @Spaghetti Betty ❤️

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Span to Wan: Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Regeneration
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Smite -- PndSlg-Acc/Dmg(A), PndSlg-Dmg/EndRdx(5), PndSlg-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40)
Level 1: Fast Healing -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Shadow Maul -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(3), ScrDrv-Acc/Dmg(5)
Level 4: Super Speed -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 6: Reconstruction -- Prv-Heal/EndRdx(A), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39)
Level 8: Siphon Life -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Hct-Dam%(42)
Level 10: Dull Pain -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(11), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(13), Pnc-Heal(13)
Level 12: Touch of Fear -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(46), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Erd-%Dam(50)
Level 14: Kick -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 16: Integration -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(34), Pnc-Heal/+End(34)
Level 18: Tough -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19), RctArm-ResDam(19), RctArm-EndRdx(21), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(21)
Level 20: Resilience -- RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), RctArm-ResDam/Rchg(23), RctArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), RctArm-ResDam(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(39)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27)
Level 24: Weave -- ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(A), ShlWal-EndRdx/Rchg(27), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(29), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), Ksm-ToHit+(31)
Level 26: Soul Drain -- SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Instant Healing -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(31), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(33), Prv-Absorb%(34)
Level 30: Dark Consumption -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), PrfShf-EndMod(43), PrfShf-End%(43)
Level 32: Midnight Grasp -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(39)
Level 35: Whirlwind -- EndRdx-I(A), SuddAcc--KB/+KD(48), FrcFdb-Rechg%(48)
Level 38: Moment of Glory -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 41: Maneuvers -- Rct-Def/EndRdx(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Rct-ResDam%(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 44: Gloom -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Taunt -- MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(A)
Level 49: Darkest Night -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(50)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), PrfShf-End%(7)
Level 4: Speed Phase 
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment 
Level 50: Ageless Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Musculature Partial Core Revamp 
------------

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2022 at 9:53 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

For example:  Instant Healing has 600% regen unenhanceable and 200% enhanceable.  So with zero healing investment in enhancements, you get 800%, and with effective maxed out levels of healing (call it 100%, or something over 2 lvl 50 +5 IOs) you get 1000%.  So my blind go-to has been to five slot it with Panacea or Doctored Wounds, but both of those choices are for +recharge and a few other minor bonuses.  Let's say I would 5-slot Panacea normally.  Now let's consider 4 slotting it with 2x lvl 50+5 healing and 2x lvl 50+5 recharge and move that extra slot to another power that expects to activate a FF +recharge once a minute.  That's not a bad tradeoff.  Now I may ask, well, am I really benefitting from slotting the healing, since I'm not sure that extra 200% regen is going to be the thing that saves me?  So maybe I only two slot Instant Healing with +recharge IOs, and now I have some more slots to play with elsewhere.  Instant Healing and Integration are the places I'm looking, and for my lvl 50 builds I'm looking at cutting them down to two slots each and putting in lvl 53 DSo R/H and lvl 53 goglis respectively.

I'm not going to say this slotting is 'wrong' so much as I wanna caution this thought process, you need to actually think about what 200% regeneration represents, and not forget the other benefits of the set. Panacea also has recovery (meh), regeneration (less meh), and max hp (yes please). Ontop of that Recharge is thin on the ground for Regen despite its desire for the stat, unless you throw your pools into mules. This locks you out of alternative methods of damage mitigation and utility.

As for that 200% regeneration? If you get to only 3k hp on a brute, so not even to hp cap, you are talking about ~25.2hp/s, which if we pass through 50% resistance, easily acquired, that's ~50.4 rhp/s (resisted hp per second), and then pass that through defense of 45%, accomplished though defense or -to-hit, that's  ~1,008 ehp/s (effective hp persecond) This means that a mere 200% regen on a reasonable solo brute can take ~1008 more damage per second (including misses) than one without. If you look at the build in my scrapper regen tool (an old build of mine) you will see that this represents between 10% and 20% of the durability of a build (admittedly a Scrapper on that tool)

Now granted you could definitely find a situation where you can get more than that for the slots, but just keep it in the back of your head. I've ran the numbers on a few "low regen%" regen builds and have rarely been impressed.

Edit: Wanted to add, FF procs can be great but you do need to game the system, a 1 time a minute proc rate is an effective recharge of 8.33%, vs Panacea's static, non rng based 7.5%, ontop of that only things with a recharge time in excess of your time between procs, in this case 1 minute, will benefit consistantly.

Edited by Koopak

3 hours ago, Koopak said:

snip

Wow, just wow. This is some crazy Mids-fu. I can't wait to actually plug this in and give it a spin. Actually glad I never kitted that toon out on live.

Personally, I think the only thing I would change is swapping out Taunt with Combat Jumping. I can't just skip out on my precious jumping mobility. I take it on every toon. However, I can deal with not having taunt as a crowd control, at least on a Brute.

I appreciate the time you took taking my wild idea and expanding upon it. I've learned quite a bit from this project and it ended up being a ton of fun.

I'm always super interested in seeing build ideas -- I usually learn something and I'm always reminded of my own biases.  @Nemu the triple Synapse in end mod powers is a real winner!

I've been leveling a scrapper who just reached 44 and I'm pretty happy with the results, both now and what I expect at 50.   No Darkest Night for us poor scrappers so I went with Leviathan for more chaotic goodness in Water Spout (and the only ff +recharge in the build!) and another Oh No! power in Hibernate.  I may be over building for +to hit and +accuracy, but right now it's a lot lower than I feel comfortable with and when the +accuracy kicks in from the purple sets, maybe I can cut out Tactics.

Current plans:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.1.2.5
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dark Melee
Secondary Power Set: Regeneration
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
------------
Level 1:    Smite    
 (A) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage
 (39) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Recharge
 (39) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Recharge/Critical Hit Bonus
 (40) HamiO:Nucleolus Exposure

Level 1:    Fast Healing    
 (A) Numina's Convalesence - +Regeneration/+Recovery

Level 2:    Reconstruction    
 (A) Panacea - Heal/Endurance
 (3) Panacea - Endurance/Recharge
 (3) Panacea - Heal/Recharge
 (5) Panacea - Heal/Endurance/Recharge
 (5) Panacea - Heal

Level 4:    Quick Recovery    
 (A) Synapse's Shock - EndMod
 (48) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Recharge
 (50) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Increased Run Speed

Level 6:    Shadow Maul    
 (A) Siphon Insight - Chance for +ToHit
 (7) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
 (7) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage
 (37) Superior Critical Strikes - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/RechargeTime
 (50) Superior Critical Strikes - RechargeTime/+50% Crit Proc

Level 8:    Touch of Fear    
 (A) Armageddon - Damage
 (9) Armageddon - Damage/Recharge
 (9) Armageddon - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (37) Armageddon - Accuracy/Recharge
 (37) Armageddon - Damage/Endurance
 (46) Overwhelming Force - Damage/Chance for Knockdown/Knockback to Knockdown

Level 10:    Dull Pain    
 (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
 (11) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance
 (11) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime
 (17) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime
 (17) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance
 (43) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 12:    Siphon Life    
 (A) Hecatomb - Damage
 (13) Hecatomb - Damage/Recharge
 (13) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (15) Hecatomb - Accuracy/Recharge
 (15) Hecatomb - Damage/Endurance

Level 14:    Kick    
 (A) Accuracy IO

Level 16:    Integration    
 (A) Preventive Medicine - Heal
 (45) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

Level 18:    Dark Consumption    
 (A) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage
 (19) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (19) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (27) Energy Manipulator - Chance to Stun
 (36) Superior Avalanche - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (36) Superior Avalanche - Recharge/Chance for Knockdown

Level 20:    Resilience    
 (A) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
 (21) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (21) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
 (36) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance/RechargeTime

Level 22:    Tough    
 (A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
 (23) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
 (23) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance
 (31) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance
 (34) Unbreakable Guard - RechargeTime/Resistance
 (34) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

Level 24:    Combat Jumping    
 (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
 (25) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)
 (25) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage
 (39) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
 (45) Winter's Gift - Slow Resistance (20%)

Level 26:    Soul Drain    
 (A) Fury of the Gladiator - Chance for Res Debuff
 (27) Gaussian's Synchronized Fire-Control - Chance for Build Up
 (29) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (31) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Damage/Endurance/Recharge
 (40) Superior Scrapper's Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 28:    Instant Healing    
 (A) DSync:D-Sync Reconstruction
 (29) DSync:D-Sync Reconstruction

Level 30:    Hasten    
 (A) Recharge Reduction IO
 (31) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 32:    Midnight Grasp    
 (A) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage
 (33) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance
 (33) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
 (33) Superior Blistering Cold - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (34) Superior Blistering Cold - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime

Level 35:    Water Spout    
 (A) Superior Frozen Blast - Damage/Endurance/Accuracy/RechargeTime
 (40) Superior Frozen Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
 (42) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff
 (42) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
 (45) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 38:    Weave    
 (43) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure
 (43) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure

Level 41:    Hibernate    
 (A) Synapse's Shock - Damage/Rechage
 (42) Synapse's Shock - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy
 (46) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Recharge

Level 44:    Maneuvers    
 (46) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure
 (48) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure

Level 47:    Moment of Glory    
 (A) Synapse's Shock - Damage/Rechage
 (48) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Recharge
 (50) Synapse's Shock - Damage/Recharge/Accuracy

Level 49:    Tactics    
 (A) HamiO:Cytoskeleton Exposure

Level 1:    Critical Hit    
Level 1:    Brawl    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Sprint    
 (A) Empty

Level 2:    Rest    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Swift    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Hurdle    
 (A) Empty

Level 1:    Health    
 (A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

Level 1:    Stamina    
 (A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

------------
------------
Set Bonus Totals:
26.63% Defense(Smashing)
26.63% Defense(Lethal)
6% Defense(Fire)
6% Defense(Cold)
6% Defense(Energy)
6% Defense(Negative)
6% Defense(Psionic)
24.75% Defense(Melee)
6% Defense(Ranged)
6% Defense(AoE)
+58.75% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
8.75% Enhancement(Max EnduranceDiscount)
+45% Enhancement(Accuracy)
22.5% SpeedFlying
GrantPower Preventive Medicine (when PreventiveMedicine, if Scourge)
225.9 HP (16.87%) HitPoints
22.5% JumpHeight
22.5% SpeedJumping
MezResist(Confused) 60%
MezResist(Held) 60%
MezResist(Immobilized) 60%
MezResist(Sleep) 60%
MezResist(Stunned) 60%
MezResist(Terrorized) 60%
MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)
22.5% (0.38 End/sec) Recovery
10% (0.56 HP/sec) Regeneration
95% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
95% ResEffect(RechargeTime)
95% ResEffect(SpeedRunning)
12.5% Resistance(Smashing)
12.5% Resistance(Lethal)
35% Resistance(Fire)
35% Resistance(Cold)
12.5% Resistance(Energy)
12.5% Resistance(Negative)
8% Resistance(Toxic)
8% Resistance(Psionic)
37.5% SpeedRunning
36% GlobalChanceMod PlayerCrit

------------
Set Bonuses:
Superior Scrapper's Strike
(Smite)
  40.16 HP (3%) HitPoints
  5% Defense(Smashing,Lethal), 2.5% Defense(Melee)
  3% GlobalChanceMod PlayerCrit, 3% GlobalChanceMod MLCrit, 6% GlobalChanceMod BossCrit, 3% GlobalChanceMod CritPlayer, 3% GlobalChanceMod CritSmall, 6% GlobalChanceMod CritLarge, 3% GlobalChanceMod ECCritModPlayer, 3% GlobalChanceMod ECCritModSmall, 6% GlobalChanceMod ECCritModLarge

Panacea
(Reconstruction)
  2.5% (0.04 End/sec) Recovery
  2.25% Resistance(Smashing,Lethal), MezResist(Immobilized) 3.75%, MezResist(Held) 3.75%, MezResist(Stunned) 3.75%, MezResist(Sleep) 3.75%, MezResist(Terrorized) 3.75%, MezResist(Confused) 3.75%
  10% (0.56 HP/sec) Regeneration
  MezResist(Repel) 1000% (10% chance)

Synapse's Shock
(Quick Recovery)
  7.5% SpeedJumping, 7.5% JumpHeight, 7.5% SpeedFlying, 7.5% SpeedRunning
  10% ResEffect(SpeedRunning), 10% ResEffect(RechargeTime), 10% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  15% SpeedRunning

Superior Critical Strikes
(Shadow Maul)
  4% (0.07 End/sec) Recovery
  +15% Enhancement(Accuracy)

Armageddon
(Touch of Fear)
  6% Resistance(Fire,Cold), MezResist(Immobilized) 10%, MezResist(Held) 10%, MezResist(Stunned) 10%, MezResist(Sleep) 10%, MezResist(Terrorized) 10%, MezResist(Confused) 10%
  +10% Enhancement(RechargeTime)

Preventive Medicine
(Dull Pain)
  2.25% Resistance(Smashing,Lethal), MezResist(Immobilized) 3.75%, MezResist(Held) 3.75%, MezResist(Stunned) 3.75%, MezResist(Sleep) 3.75%, MezResist(Terrorized) 3.75%, MezResist(Confused) 3.75%
  25.1 HP (1.87%) HitPoints
  3% Resistance(Fire,Cold), MezResist(Immobilized) 5%, MezResist(Held) 5%, MezResist(Stunned) 5%, MezResist(Sleep) 5%, MezResist(Terrorized) 5%, MezResist(Confused) 5%
  3.75% Enhancement(EnduranceDiscount)
  +8.75% Enhancement(RechargeTime)
  GrantPower Preventive Medicine (when PreventiveMedicine, if Scourge), GrantPower Preventive Medicine (when PreventiveMedicine, if Scourge)

Hecatomb
(Siphon Life)
  6% Resistance(Fire,Cold), MezResist(Immobilized) 10%, MezResist(Held) 10%, MezResist(Stunned) 10%, MezResist(Sleep) 10%, MezResist(Terrorized) 10%, MezResist(Confused) 10%
  +10% Enhancement(RechargeTime)

Preventive Medicine
(Integration)

Superior Avalanche
(Dark Consumption)
  15% ResEffect(SpeedRunning), 15% ResEffect(RechargeTime), 15% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)
  5% Defense(Melee), 2.5% Defense(Lethal), 2.5% Defense(Smashing)

Unbreakable Guard
(Resilience)
  2.5% Enhancement(EnduranceDiscount)
  2.25% Resistance(Energy,Negative), MezResist(Immobilized) 3.75%, MezResist(Held) 3.75%, MezResist(Stunned) 3.75%, MezResist(Sleep) 3.75%, MezResist(Terrorized) 3.75%, MezResist(Confused) 3.75%
  3.13% Defense(Melee), 1.56% Defense(Lethal), 1.56% Defense(Smashing)

Steadfast Protection
(Tough)
  3% Defense(Melee), 3% Defense(AoE), 3% Defense(Ranged), 3% Defense(Smashing), 3% Defense(Lethal), 3% Defense(Fire), 3% Defense(Cold), 3% Defense(Energy), 3% Defense(Negative), 3% Defense(Psionic)

Gladiator's Armor
(Tough)
  3% Defense(Melee), 3% Defense(AoE), 3% Defense(Ranged), 3% Defense(Smashing), 3% Defense(Lethal), 3% Defense(Fire), 3% Defense(Cold), 3% Defense(Energy), 3% Defense(Negative), 3% Defense(Psionic), MezResist(Teleport) 100% (20% chance)

Unbreakable Guard
(Tough)
  2.5% Enhancement(EnduranceDiscount)
  2.25% Resistance(Energy,Negative), MezResist(Immobilized) 3.75%, MezResist(Held) 3.75%, MezResist(Stunned) 3.75%, MezResist(Sleep) 3.75%, MezResist(Terrorized) 3.75%, MezResist(Confused) 3.75%
  3.13% Defense(Melee), 1.56% Defense(Lethal), 1.56% Defense(Smashing)
  100.4 HP (7.5%) HitPoints

Luck of the Gambler
(Combat Jumping)
  +7.5% Enhancement(RechargeTime)

Shield Wall
(Combat Jumping)
  5% Resistance(Lethal), 5% Resistance(Smashing), 5% Resistance(Fire), 5% Resistance(Cold), 5% Resistance(Energy), 5% Resistance(Negative), 5% Resistance(Psionic), 5% Resistance(Toxic)

Reactive Defenses
(Combat Jumping)
  3% Resistance(All)

Winter's Gift
(Combat Jumping)
  20% ResEffect(SpeedRunning), 20% ResEffect(RechargeTime), 20% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)

Superior Scrapper's Strike
(Soul Drain)
  40.16 HP (3%) HitPoints

Superior Blistering Cold
(Midnight Grasp)
  15% ResEffect(SpeedRunning), 15% ResEffect(RechargeTime), 15% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)

Superior Frozen Blast
(Water Spout)

Luck of the Gambler
(Weave)

Synapse's Shock
(Hibernate)
  10% ResEffect(SpeedRunning), 10% ResEffect(RechargeTime), 10% ResEffect(SpeedFlying)

Luck of the Gambler
(Maneuvers)

Synapse's Shock
(Moment of Glory)

| Copy & Paste this data into Mids Reborn : Hero Designer to view the build |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
|MxDz;1380;678;1356;HEX;|
|78DA65944B4F13511886CFB46744A08058B9F742B91528143031F182D1C482B7362|
|192B8C5091CCA84A634D3AAF0035CB9F196B8315E96FE02DDBAF5FA07DCB8522988|
|89127561C66FE6FD8E8234993C73DE73DE77BEF9E69CE65633A1C5C5E9D3C2683C5|
|3B0CAE5B9D979C72A959463E6ACBC3D2FBC5F0D5D1D5A9FCBA98252E98CE52CE336|
|FA7726A31655B1ACD297545E15956355EC95A26898595929A4A7EDFC52C52EE643F|
|E28ABAC120DEAFCC16C49A98526AD2F28A7BC64976253257B3E3D5BB10ACB149C55|
|D76CABB26415E77256B9A29CB576AA284E97E39566F845BA41F13228C4841403AF9|
|8EFC0E4A4F70E4191D9B15888CB749794628A4483456944E00844993150C699DDE0|
|3499826C0A04D7A52F8E6D80135B609916998293CD109CFB4E06C02B58D4B7C0260|
|5566AD06ECF64D61CC5E2FDC798C7C1BE13CC4970F403C2CF92B396CB326B3F41AC|
|FBCC5C070F54991BE0F0267895CCF5BADCFA01248792CC41B07188390C06C8D4C02|
|6D1D0297CF11C894D5C86D1C4658C7019D769B2D9F03F836B363FC05B1F7CC87C04|
|76DEA4F8B014BD8F31EE7D029E2773587FEEF077241EDA66FE007B7F82415ADCA2B|
|BD1D2467751295A0F63B295CD313627D89CF8C5F3646ED3DBA2CD8B21B1FD2226DB|
|BFF106FB2DFCD0912E8C57C9D4C1EF263B4E41EC7C8A56455EF313DFF0AE7C0B5E2|
|05317B7D0E84A99FEF78F307BE88AEAC968CAEB6FAD8831D76832AE6B8CDF428BBA|
|6F33EF30EF82897BE07B7A6A0F4E812B7B9E434C3E03873EA2A6A117E8FFC80DD42|
|EE949FD7ABFF77337868FE058696E878418E45A0383554EDC0447F9703453524A27|
|A538699413C698595A94D649E9EA7FC78B13C3B4685C9FE67176C6E5BF23EE46A4D|
|03FD71BBBAEC8EE9566A4769064F8D266DDCE3F0A5FFAB257DADA2525D0B9AFBBC4|
|FB68DF1F1186D097|
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Who run Bartertown?

5 hours ago, Krimson said:

This I want to see. My very first toon period, as well as being my main on Live, was a Dark/Regen Scrapper. I remember being a tank every two minutes. 😄 Honestly, I have held off on Regen because I have never seen a straight answer on how good it is.

Writing this as a short break from work, did 15 hours yesterday and looking similar today, but I can at least answer "how good it is".

The answer is a resounding... it depends.

In a group with support its debatably the most durable set in the game, there aren't that many support buffs that improve regeneration and those that do don't provide enough to hit the cap and the stat is a linear growth in durability. The set wont benefit from +maxhp much if at all ( Regen Scrapper should never be below the AT max hp cap ), but those are even rarer. Every other layer of durability however it has room for, which means it doesn't run into the issue other sets do of being able to build to enough caps on its own to make supports providing +res and +def useless. Since its scaled to compete with armor sets despite the resistance and defense deficiency means that when it fills those gaps it is objectively the most durable.

When solo, or without support, the set has more mixed mileage. Well built and well managed with the right pool powers, good timing, and a strong understanding of game mechanics and enemy abilities, it is still able to compete with the strongest sets in the game. For periods of time it can leave every other armor in the dust in raw durability through the use of Moment of Glory and supporting T9 like pool powers. Something I intend to experiment with in the near future is a build capable of the following chain. Shadow Meld -> Moment of Glory -> Shadow Meld -> Burnout -> Moment of Glory -> Shadow Meld, for 75 seconds of defense cap and two 15 second period of resist cap. that said the first 3 powers there can be accomplished by any solid Scrapper Regen build for 45 seconds.

On the flipside however one mistake (which people often will struggle to identify as a mistake due to the difficulty of reading incoming damage before it hits) and you are a corpse. Sometimes this can happen even without a major mistake since, without MoG your resistances will struggle to be particularly high (without significant gaps, like capping S/L while E/N and F/C sit at 15%) which results in your Resisted Health (Max hp multiplied by resistance) being very low compared to other armor sets. Recluse can and will just roll two nat 20s (>95% hit roll) and floor you once in awhile unless you are both meticulous and a little lucky.

Thus a good regen build, well played, can and will do excellently, but a poor build or a moment where you are off your game, will result in you kissing floor. This is where Revive is meant to come into play, but since challenge modes still count that as a death, so does the community, with many MANY players considering Revive an auto skip power, which fair. However Revive is there to compensate for minor mistakes, animation delays and such, and give you time to remove the enemy that did it (after all 15 seconds of immunity is a long time).

The biggest thing in my opinion that muddies the waters on Regen is that most sets require a fraction of the attention and effort Regen does. Now those sets also generally don't benefit from that attention and effort, just look at Willpower, the "just use this" counter anytime someone complains about Regen. That is one of the biggest set and forget sets in the game, you toggle it up, and off you go. While Regen can perform very impressive feats that other Armors will struggle to or are incapable of, in 90% of gameplay regen has to work many times harder than other armors just to do the same thing they do by existing. So there's an imbalance of effort to reward.

Some final caveats
- Scrapper Regen has no taunt auras, accept that there will be runners. This has never been a big issue for me but it feels like say 1/2 the scrapper forum have declared a refusal to use any set without a taunt aura because of this.
- Regen has no damage enhancing components, so the time you spend casting Dull Pain every 2 minutes, Reconstruction every 20 seconds, Instance Healing occasionally and MoG occasionally, is just lost damage, you don't even get any recharge to compensate like some other sets with regularly used clicks. This results in a small dps loss when pressed.
- Your survival tools all have a cast time that can and will result in you hitting MoG, dying, and MoG going on cooldown anyways, or any other of the click powers.

Edited by Koopak
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just dinged 50 and dark/regen scrapper is great.  Running at +4/x8 but it's much more difficult than oh say energy/bio.  

Other than what Koopak said, you have no debuff resistance other than what you slot.  I suggest getting as much slow resistance as you can slot (my build has 95%).  Nothing you can do about defense debuff or to hit debuff excep don't get hit.

Who run Bartertown?

2 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I just dinged 50 and dark/regen scrapper is great.  Running at +4/x8 but it's much more difficult than oh say energy/bio.  

Other than what Koopak said, you have no debuff resistance other than what you slot.  I suggest getting as much slow resistance as you can slot (my build has 95%).  Nothing you can do about defense debuff or to hit debuff excep don't get hit.

Thats not entirely true, you can take ageless radial. I tend to not go to hard on RDR (usually about 50%) because I have to take ageless radial anyways for the other debuff resistances.

I consider ageless radial mandatory on regen because debuffs hurt so bad

I stand by my opinion:  what they did to Shadow Maul was an abomination.  They neutered the damage so that people who needed a wide arc got a wide arc.  I think that's great that so many people feel that was a good trade-off for their purposes; it indicates that my opinion was probably in the minority and that most people appreciated the power being dumbed down.

Who run Bartertown?