Character Creation Screen Background

BastionWalls

I want the character to be standing in a properly lit instance on the Paragon city streets. The difference between the costume creator and actual game environment can sometimes be quite significant.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

9 minutes ago, SaintD said:

I want the character to be standing in a properly lit instance on the Paragon city streets. The difference between the costume creator and actual game environment can sometimes be quite significant.

Indeed. I also want to zoom out more for powers.

4 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

Ok... Here you go...
you will need to create a subdirectory in your Homecoming install called   \data\texture_library\GUI\CREATION\common\Backgrounds

find a graphic file you would like to use, and save it in .dds format.
Now rename your .dds file    "background_skyline_alphacut.texture"    ...and drop it in the directory you created above.

Sample below.

background_skyline_alphacut.texture 1.33 MB · 3 downloads

Pardon my lack of computer knowledge, subdirectory meaning folder?

• Like 1

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

3 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

subdirectory meaning folder?

Yes, a nested folder.  Folders within folders, six deep ( I think. Your personal install may have a data folder all set up already if you use any other mods.)  \data\texture_library\GUI\CREATION\common\Backgrounds  would be the path name.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

Pardon my lack of computer knowledge, subdirectory meaning folder?

Root -> C:\

Directory (Folder) -> C:\Games             (the Games part)

Sub-Directory (Folder inside another folder) -> C:\Games\CoH             (the CoH part)

Parent Directory -> C:\Games             (the Games part when CoH exists)

Child Directory -> C:\Games\CoH             (the CoH part in this example)

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

9 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

Yes, a nested folder.  Folders within folders, six deep ( I think. Your personal install may have a data folder all set up already if you use any other mods.)  \data\texture_library\GUI\CREATION\common\Backgrounds  would be the path name.

Gotcha, thank you!

Ask me about my City Of Heroes patch problem https://levelzeroems.com/search?q=City of Heroes

6 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Root -> C:\

Directory (Folder) -> C:\Games             (the Games part)

Sub-Directory (Folder inside another folder) -> C:\Games\CoH             (the CoH part)

Parent Directory -> C:\Games             (the Games part when CoH exists)

Child Directory -> C:\Games\CoH             (the CoH part in this example)

Ahhhhh TYVM!

2 hours ago, Jawbreaker said:

Hmm..something isn't working for me. Does this look right?

I'm betting that you left the file name as background_skyline_alphacut.texture.dds

Edit the name to just background_skyline_alphacut.texture and try again.

Click on View in the top nav and verify that "File Name Extensions" is checked. That'll help.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I'm betting that you left the file name as background_skyline_alphacut.texture.dds

Edit the name to just background_skyline_alphacut.texture and try again.

Click on View in the top nav and verify that "File Name Extensions" is checked. That'll help.

Well, you were right about the name. But it still won't work for me

Based on the above images, rename the file so that the .DDS instead reads .TEXTURE as it appears this is the file extension that it's looking for. Also, the game loads stuff from the /data folder only at startup, so you need to always make sure the game is fully quit before expecting to see changes.

Side question, what format is DDS?

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

14 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

Does it look like this?
I am wondering if Homecoming requires the p_ in front of the file name.
If you want to do a test, rename your file p_background_skyline_alphacut.texture and see if that changes anything.

20220214_060234.jpg

Nope, that didn't work either.

4 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Based on the above images, rename the file so that the .DDS instead reads .TEXTURE as it appears this is the file extension that it's looking for. Also, the game loads stuff from the /data folder only at startup, so you need to always make sure the game is fully quit before expecting to see changes.

Side question, what format is DDS?

Yeah my file name is background_skyline_alphacut.texture

1 hour ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Hrrrm. Last ditch thought. You only have one installation directory and everything's pointed at the correct one, yes?

I only ask because over time I ended up with multiple installations and made this mistake with my silence sounds files.

I...think so?
image.thumb.png.093c9c789153d37578fbe78d85266d13.png

On 2/14/2022 at 5:10 AM, Vulpoid said:

I am wondering if Homecoming requires the p_ in front of the file name.
If you want to do a test, rename your file p_background_skyline_alphacut.texture and see if that changes anything.

File "texture_library/GUI/creation/common/Backgrounds/p_background_skyline_alphacut.texture" is misnamed, containing texture named "background_skyline_alphacut"!

That's the error I got when trying the p_  name change. I couldn't get it to work either.